2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Many of you may remember me eldest son, who I called Piano*Son. Well, my youngest also plays, but he would go by Flute*Son, I guess. Youngest wanted nothing to do with the piano. That was for me and eldest. He listened to a different drummer, so to speak.

For your amusement, here is a performance given by Flute*Son at a recent event in Smithfield VA. A group in Smithfield sponsors a wonderful annual teen concert that allows six young musicians from eastern VA to play a fifteen minute set of works. I wish there were many more such opportunities for young people to play a sustained set of works in public.

This is the first piece he played. It's a pretty standard piece for high school flute players.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Very nice. Flute and piano sound wonderful together.

Over the years I tried to get my brother, sister, wife, daughter or son interested in flute to no avail.

I now record flute pieces on my keyboard and play the piano with them, it's the closest I can get.

I'm envious.

Last edited by Roger Ransom; 08/12/12 03:13 PM.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
OP Offline
Roger,

I have played some things with him over the years, but, you know, that father thing often gets in the way. smile

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
That was very well done! You are I'm sure so very proud! My teacher's first instrument is flute (she used to perform). When I asked her if she would do duets with me during my lessons (as she does for my children) she was all enthusiastic and told me she would go through her piano for 4 hands music as well as her piano and flute music. That was exciting! When I return to lessons in the fall we will start.

Your posting of your piece by your son was very timely for me and got me even more interested in flute pieces.

Again great performance by your son.

OP Offline
If you are interested in having some fun exploring collaborative playing, there is a lot of excellent flute/piano music available in all styles from Renaissance to contemporary.

Funny thing though ... original instruments post a problem. F*S has a nice new baroque flute. But no contemporary piano will do, since the flute is set at A=415. I guess I have to get a harpsichord now. grin

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
That's good to know. Another section to peruse in the music store. Yeah!

OP Offline
... and to make this thread even MORE off the topic of piano .... grin

Here is the second "piece" he played. It's a medley of Irish stuff, played partly on Irish Whistle. He got a good laugh by mentioning that his "Irish" whistle was made in Germany.

Again, for pianists, accompanying can be good fun. The accompanist here was just improvising off of the chord structure of the Irish tunes.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Wonderful, I love it, thanks.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
B
B
Is the fingering on an Irish whistle similar to that of any other woodwind? Now I'm itching to try one. So pretty! I almost never get chances to pull out my flute anymore, though, so it wouldn't be the wisest use of my money.

Piano teacher since 2008, festivals chair for local chapter of NFMC, dabbling composer of pedagogical music
OP Offline
Is the fingering on an Irish whistle similar to that of any other woodwind?

I don't play the flute or the whistle ... or any other woodwind for that matter, so I can't really give a good technical reply. When I asked F*S he gave me an answer, but the story quickly got into territory I didn't fully understand. My basic questions and my bemused look of moderate incomprehension eventually got me a pat on the head and a reply of, "it's complicated." grin

You can get whistles in most keys, but the common ones are in the key of D (soprano and tenor). He has those two. He says you can play things written in D, G, and A pretty easily on the D whistles, and half-holing can produce other notes.

As far as fingering goes, he says the basic scale is pretty similar to the silver flute, except for all the complications from the thumb hole and all of those dang key gadgets attached to the modern contraption. The whistle fingering is pretty much the same as mid-19th century wooden flutes like the keyless Pratten. He is actually getting one of those shortly, made by a great flute maker here in VA.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission