2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Erinmarriott, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, 4 invisible), 1,316 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
OP Offline
L
Good Day Teachers,

With the summer holidays ending I find that I need to upgrade my teaching skills.
I teach a standard 45min lesson, 30mins to very young children, and 60mins to those requesting it (which also consist of young children aged from 6)
In this time, how do I make classes more fun and exciting which would make my students look forward and actually want more classes and time with me? A lot of you may say to try some musical games but musical games such as what? I would want to serve a good 45mins fun, exciting but productive lesson.

In other words, how will I make my students love me without their parents thinking that the activities I will be doing are a waste of time?

Thanks in advance smile

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Hi Liezl,

I think you'll find that there are a lot of great resources online for musical games. Some of the websites that I return to again and again for ideas are:

http://www.susanparadis.com/

http://singanewsongmusic.blogspot.ca/

http://pianoanne.blogspot.ca/

I hope you find something here that inspires you!

M
M
I find that simply spending a minute at the beginning of the lesson, allowing the student to share what's on his heart, lets him know that I care and that I'm interested in him personally. This works with all ages. If I know something about what's going on with him or his family, I ask -- for example, "Did your mother get over her headache?" or "How was your weekend at the lake?" Or if I don't know anything specific, I might ask something like, "What have you and your family been up to this week?" or "Did you do anything special since I last saw you?" Then I listen and let the student talk.
After this brief ice breaker, I then ask, "And how did practicing go this week?" If he says it didn't go so well, I ask what caused the problems, and we talk a bit more. If he says it went well, I show my eagerness to hear what he has accomplished. This makes a natural flow into the lesson without seeming cold and impersonal.

This forum recently had a thread on performance classes. These add a social element to lessons, which I find gives a real boost to the students' enthusiasm.

I have my students' course outlined like a menu. Scales and technical studies are the appetizer; ear training and sight reading are the salad; new repertoire is the main dish; theory and composition is the side dish; duet/ensemble provides a beverage (not always on the menu); and the dessert is music of the student's choice. You have to get through the substantial part of the meal if you want dessert. So if a student wastes time, or doesn't progress adequately and we have to spend too much time on something, we don't get dessert that week.

I provide incentives to my students to attend cultural events -- concerts, drama productions, art exhibits, etc. They are to let me know if they do, and at our recital I give certificates to students who have gone to various programs.

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Here are some recommendations for a refresher in pedagogy if you're interested. I've found that reading or re-reading these have been helpful.

http://valerylloydwatts.com/books/mastering-the-piano-manual/

And the book "Practicing the Piano" by Nancy Breth.

A
A
Hi Liezl~

Some things that have helped me make lessons fun:

1. My attitude- I show my excitement and love for the piano and show my excitement over every bit of progress the student makes. Positive feedback is so important for children!

2. Musical games- I added in some musical games since April 2012 and the students have greatly enjoyed them. I also suggest www.susanparadis.com. Her games are awesome and free!

3. Listening activities- I don't know which methods you use, or if you use any, but the My First Piano Adventure series by the Fabers is excellent for 5-6 year olds. These books come with cds and are really fun for the young kids. I also ordered other cds so that my student get to listen some at their lessons.

4. Drawing activities- I have various worksheets and also a white board, which kids LOVE. I use the white board to have them draw notes they learn, draw treble clef/bass clef, etc.

Just a few ideas.. you may already incorporate these things though. smile

April's Piano Studio
"Where music and imagination meet!"
www.aprilspianostudio.net

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission