Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
148 registered (ajames, 36251, accordeur, Alegretto, 45 invisible), 1683 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#1943954 - 08/16/12 03:45 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Monica K.]
Norrec Offline

Thanks for the comments everyone. I wanted to respond to two in particular,

Originally Posted By: Monica K.
52. Norrec (Tim) - Beaming Sunlight I didn’t recognize the title of this piece, but when I heard you play it, it was immediately familiar. (I know it by the name “Rakuyou”). Gorgeous melody. I play it with a lot more pedal than you do, but then again, I play everything with a lot more pedal. whome

It's funny you should mention more pedal, becaue when I was having trouble getting it to sound good while recording I turned to the pedal as a 'crutch'. I found I didn't have to be very fluid because if it took longer to get to the next key it didn't change the sound much. I recorded a version like this but it felt like I was cheating, so I kept at it till I could get a decent normal recording. I did find one spot that the pedal was unavoidable, where my left hand had to go from G in the middle C octave down to the last D on the keyboard(my keyboard only had 76 keys). The pedal made a huge difference here and I can't see anyway to keep the piece sounding 'right' without it.

Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88
52. Norrec (Tim) - Beaming Sunlight. An intriguing little piece. Welcome to the recital, and congratulations on stepping beyond Alfred's 1, and on recording! For your next step with this piece, you might want to experiment with the balance of the hands: make the LH softer and let the RH sing out more.

I agree on the balance of the hands, though I think it comes across worse in the recording then in person. That was the first thing I noticed when I listened to the MP3 instead of the keyboard, but decided to leave it as was(time was running out). I've also listened to your recording of Ivan Sings multiple times now. A few more listens and it'll be getting added to the "to learn" list. This list is getting very long now.

I suspect I won't do a write up of all of the entries because my feedback would be the same for all of them, "Sounds good, I have to raise the bar for the next recital."

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1943967 - 08/16/12 04:12 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: CMohr]
CMohr Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Oregon
54. lyricmudra - Sheep May Safely Graze (from J.S. Bach's Birthday Cantata) I haven't heard this for so long - thank you for choosing this piece! You have the perfect touch for Bach - light and exact. This was a delightful listen of a beautiful melody and performed with assurance.

53. notbach - To a Wild Rose (Op.51 No. 1) You've put such a pleasing feeling into this piece. I've always liked this one and your interpretation is no exception. Beautifully done, especially on short notice! Lovely!

52. Norrec (Tim) - Beaming SunlightCongrats on your first ABF recital! Very pleasant listening! It's charmingly played. Since I'm not familiar with the original - maybe a little pedal to make everything flow more evenly? Other than that, splendid work. Keep it up!

51. Clemente - Andalucia Oh, I love this melody! Nice job with the left hand throughout - pretty tricky, but you kept that important rhythm flowing nicely. Excellent on the hight register second section. Your piano sounds wonderful! All around, pretty impressive.

#1943978 - 08/16/12 04:33 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
LadyChen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
6. Mr Super Hunky -- There is love (The wedding song)

I enjoyed your noodling! Great job and I commend you for learning a song by ear.

7. SwissMS -- Chopin Nocturne in Eb Op. 9 Nr. 2

Beautifully and sensitively played! I thought you did a great job with the pedaling too -- sometimes waltz patterns can be difficult to pedal.

8. CarlosCC -- Ambers

Very pretty melody -- thanks for sharing!

9. Diana -- Raymond - Theme from Overture

Wow, 5 months experience, really? You're doing great! Your precision and attention to detail is admirable. I wish my students could do that after 5 months smile.

10. Recaredo (Ricardo) -- Piano sonata No 25 Op 79. Second movement

Nice job! I don't think it sounds too hard for you at all. Something that will help in the beginning section (and when the same theme returns later on) would be to bring out the notes on the main beat and make the other notes softer. For example, in the RH in the first bar there is a dotted quarter, quarter, eighth, quarter, eighth. Try making the eighth notes softer than the quarters and see if you like how that sounds.

#1943990 - 08/16/12 04:52 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Clemente Offline

Loc: Bergen County, New Jersey
Well, after a day and a half of reading, watching, listening and writing... all extremely enjoyable, this is what I think...

01. wouter79 - La Poule (Nouvelles suites de pieces de clavecin, No.12)
This sounds like a fun piece to play. Excellent dynamics and interpretation. You did make it sound like a “poule.”

02. dannylux / Mel - Bortkiewicz Lyrica Nova Op.59 No.3
I can see why, as you said, you have submitted four of his compositions. This is a beautiful melody. You play this composer’s music very well.

03. BenPiano - Prelude Op. 17 No 6
Scriabin is not an easy composer; which is the reason a shy away from his music. You handle him well. I liked what you said… “It is Scriabin, so it doesn’t really matter.” laugh

04. Jazzwee - Invitation
You never disappoint with you your jazz pieces. This is yet another interpretation of yours that I totally enjoyed. It is obvious that the people at the church enjoyed it as well.

05. Inlanding - Glen - Warum? Op 12 No 3
Wonderful melody fron Schumann. You did capture it and your abilities are just fine. Your Dad is proud, I am sure.

06. Mr Super Hunky - There is love (The wedding song)
This is a beautiful, soft piece. You played it very well, so your “noodle method” does work!

07. SwissMS - Nocturne in Eb Op. 9 Nr. 2
This is a great performance this beautiful (not easy at all) piece. Thoroughly enjoyed your performance. Just like you, I started taking lessons again in 2011. smile

08. CarlosCC - Ambers
I love this type of music. It relaxes me…great for a rainy day listening, at least for me. smile This type of music is not easy because you need to get the “mood” (for a lack of a better word) across to the listener. You accomplished just that.

09. Diana - Raymond - Theme from Overture
For having taken lessons for only five months, you have done an excellent job!

10. Recaredo (Ricardo) - Piano sonata No 25 Op 79. Second movement.
You have got talent! I think that creating this sound after one year and six months of playing is awesome!

11. Jazztpt - Lament
Even if you had not said that that the tune was inspired by the loss of someone close to you, that emotion came through in your playing. I enjoyed very much listening to your music. Loved the title, by the way.

12. (Was)TrueBeginner - Goodnight Kiss
What a lovely melody you composed. Lovely performance as well!

13. kenjazz - A House Is Not A Home
WOW! Professional quality stuff. Loved you arrangement of the arrangement. cool It does not feel like a first attempt at anything. You simply nailed it.

14. Amaruk - Sur le fil
Yes, you did the piece justice with your performance. Wonderful melody, and it does sound challenging at times.

15. Sam S - Prelude and Fugue X WTC1
You are right… Bach is so clever… and difficult, I have to add!! I know about those trills as well; they kill me every time. Very enjoyable performance!

16. Peyton - Mazurka #4 in A Minor
This piece brings back memories of Smirnova. This was the first piece that I tackled with her after coming back to taking lessons again. I loved listening to you play it… and you are right, it is difficult… especially since most of the thing is supposed to be played legato without pedal. Yikes!!!

17. ladypayne - A New Change
You wrote a beautiful melody and I enjoyed listening to your performance. I also enjoyed the Alaska story. smile

18. Riddler (Ed) - Slaughter On Tenth Avenue
Great performance, and I am sure that Mrs. Calabash would agree. thumb

19. Greener / Jeff Green - Schindler's List - Theme
I liked your performance of this theme, and I also enjoyed the information you offered about the film. Good stuff!

20. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Rigaudon & Entree
Loved your idea of “a puzzle fitting together.” You played this very well.

21. timmyab - Moment musical Nr.2
I have always liked all of the 6 Moment Musicaux of Schubert. You did a great job playing No.2!

22. Lady Chen - Nocturne in E minor, op. 72, no. 1
This is one of my favorite Chopin Nocturnes. I agree about the life experience part… in comes in handy while playing this sort of music. You played it very well, and I know that the piece is quite difficult.

23. MrPozor - Minuet in A minor - Z649
Four months of self-teaching. Well, you did progress just fine for being self-taught for only four months!

24. Monica K. - Fairy Tale
This is the type of music that I like for down time, or when I want to relaxand enjoy my surroundings. You just accomplished that with your playing. I smiled when you said that it looked easy on paper, but… LOL! That always happens to me. blush

25. Cookie74 - Invention No. 4 in D minor
Another Bach very well played. Excellent!

26. Mile Hi Steve - Leaning on the Everlasting Arms
I have always admired people who could play difficult by ear…and not just the melodies, but intricate harmonies and accompaniments. I enjoyed your playing very much.

27. Bobpickle - June (Barcarolle)
None of the Tchaikovsky “Seasons” is easy. Therefore, “June” is not an exception. Your interpretation of this challenging piece is awesome for only 8 months experience.

28. joangolfing - The Poet Speaks
Beautiful performance of this lovely Schumann piece.

29. Mar_red - Rosemary's Baby - Lullaby
I do like your rendition of this piece. It is a beautiful tune and you played it very well.

30. cscl - Bagatelle in G minor, Op. 119, No. 1
Beautifully played! Good luck in you new home/city!

31. jotur/Cathy Turner - Dill Pickle Rag
LOVE… LOVE ragtime music! You have inspired me to revisit this genre. Excellent playing! BTW, I am glad that no one died in the library. LOL!

32. TrapperJohn - Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again (from "Phantom...")
“then in the solitude of the cemetery with snow beginning to fall…” What an image that was. It helps in listening to your performance and experiencing the mood. Loved the story and the lyrics. Excellent!!

33. knotty - Petite Fleur
You have a very, very professional sound. Somehow the melody sounded familiar. I like the “Latin Jazz flavor,” or as you put it, “bossa.” I like Sydney Bechet’s music very much. I came across his stuff while I was in college.

34. Andy Platt - Prelude in E Minor (Opus 28, No 4)
You played this very well!! Excellent execution of the base chords; which is what moves this piece forward… it is all in the chords of the left hand. My wife is learning this piece at the moment. I will ask her to listen to your performance.

35. Newman - Desperado
I liked your playing and your singing. Very well done!

36. Copper - Ave Maria
I played Burgmuller when I started in the 70’s, but I never came across this beautiful piece of his. I enjoyed listening to you play it.

37. Jake S - Ah Vous Dirai-je Maman
Playing the 12 variations separately and then merging them is quite all right. I know that for me it would be a monumental undertaking to record thirteen minutes of continuous playing without making mistakes; with the red dot capturing my every move. Yikes! eek You did an awesome job with these (not so easy) variations.

38. Augustina - Touched
Nice, soft, calm interpretation. I enjoyed your playing. I did not notice anything wrong with the tempo or the rhythm.

39. Sand Tiger - Ashokan Farewell
Wow! You have been playing for 5 months and you transcribed this piece. Hats off to you. You did very well!!

40. Serge88 - What'd I say
Playing it half the tempo of Ray Charles gives it a distinct flavor, which I liked. I liked the drum track as well. Excellent performance!

41. Starr Keys - It Goes Like It Goes
Loved your playing, your singing and your photos on the video. Wishing your Mom good luck with the results of that procedure.

42. CMohr - Imagination
Lovely tune. Lovely interpretation. Happy Birthday to your Mom on her 90th birthday. My Mom is 92. smile

43. ClavBoy - Prelude No. 1 C Major BWV 846
Very good! When I learned this piece, for some reason, I found it horrible to memorize… and it is not easy either. You played it very well.

44. Ken. - Light Blue
Challenging Thelonious Monk. I tried ‘Round Midnight and dropped it because I found it too difficult. blush I enjoyed your playing very much.

45. daveindenton - Theme from Schindler's List
Played with emotion! Excellent performance!!

46. MaryBee - Sonata in C minor, K.457, Mvt.1
It was a pleasure listening to you play this Mozart piece. Laughed at your comment about the “drunken uncle singing.” laugh

47. DadAgains_Daughter - Invention in F Major
Really good!! If this is now, just imagine how and what she will be playing in a few years time!

48. DadAgain - Prelude and Fugue XX - A minor
Well played Bach!! This stuff is never easy. Just like in your case, trills are also my Nemesis. I enjoyed your performance.

49. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Dance of the Blessed Spirits
I have only heard this piece orchestrated. You did an excellent job with this piece!

50. Falmc - Sweet Sereny
You composed a very beautiful melody. I am sure that it sounded just as beautiful in its original form for the guitar.

52. Norrec (Tim) - Beaming Sunlight
How nice and soft… I enjoyed listening!

53. notbach - To a Wild Rose (Op.51 No. 1)
Beautiful piece of music. You played it very well.

54. lyricmudra - Sheep May Safely Graze (from J.S. Bach's Birthday Cantata)
My wife has many Bach favorites, this is one of the top ones. Very enjoyable performance.

55. RedKat - Waltz, B minor, Op. 69 n. 2
One can never go wrong with Chopin, and this is a favorite. Excellently played!! I agree with what you say about the length and the red dot pressure. eek

56. Grouchomarx - Hungarian Rhapsody 2 Lassan (no Friska)
A very nice interpretation of this famous Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody. I enjoyed it very much.

57. Tiago84 - Prelude in E minor (Op28 No4)
Five months!!! Simply beautiful playing!! In five more months you will be playing his Ballade No.1! This is another one my wife needs to listen to.

58. AndyMc - Riverlights #1
Your composition and your playing are both beautiful. I admire the talent for creating original compositions. This is excellent.

59. yohyrral (= Larry Hoy) - Three Themes for Piano
Another original talent to be admired. You said, “played by ear.” I do not know if it means that you never put pencil to paper and wrote this down. If that is what you meant, you should think about writing your music down. cool

60. BillM - Try A Little Tenderness
I liked your rendition of this old standard without the Otis Redding finale, as you said. As always, you singing and your playing are very enjoyable.

61. PianoStudent88 - Ivan Sings
I am not familiar with this work by Khachaturian. I did like the way this sounds, and that reflects on the way that you played it; which is excellent. Now I am curious about the rest of the pieces in the set. I will look it up.

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to all the performances and reading the information accompanying each of the entries. I missed out on that the last two times. Hopefully, life will not get in the way of this much fun again... just hoping... Thank you to all the performers. WELL DONE!!

Clemente

#1943997 - 08/16/12 05:04 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
31. jotur/Cathy Turner - Dill Pickle Rag

The title cracks me up! laugh
The performance is spot on. thumb

#1944048 - 08/16/12 06:43 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Inlanding, SwissMS, Tiago84, Clemente, and Strings & Wood - thanks! If people tap their feet or laugh I feel like I've done half my job laugh I debuted this in real life for the Alzheimer's unit on Sunday and they liked it, too smile

Thanks again.

Cathy

#1944051 - 08/16/12 06:47 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Strings & Wood]
CMohr Offline

13. kenjazz - A House Is Not A Home Oh yeah! This is what it's all about! cool I loved every second. I love how you varied your approach while staying within the same context - very tasty improv, and some really nice fat chords thrown in. (I'm a huge Hazeltine fan, too.) Just fantastic! Encore!

14. Amaruk - Sur le fil Beautifully performed! Really great cross hand work making those high notes give off the faint echo. I love the somewhat wistful/mysterious mood of your playing in this piece.

15. Sam S - Prelude and Fugue X WTC1 For a work in progress, it's coming along spectacularly! The transition to the presto: (loved the presto!) - I bet Bach didn't play it the same way every time smile. Good control. My favorite part is the fugue. You really played this smoothely and let each voice sing - just wonderful! (No video? I was waiting to follow along. laugh )

16. Peyton - Mazurka #4 in A Minor A favorite mazurka of mine, but there are so many favorites.....I think you definitely put your personal stamp on this one. Super interpretation. You made it danceable and dramatic at the same time. Loved it!

#1944052 - 08/16/12 06:48 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
I was sorry to miss out on this one, but work coupled with my son's Little League Summer schedule has been somewhat overwhelming recently. I'm starting a vacation now, and my son's Little League team lost last night in the semifinals, so I should have some time to listen and comment.

01 wouter79 - La Poule (Nouvelles suites de pieces de clavecin, No.12), Rameau
A beautiful performance at a nice lively tempo, wouter. Nice clean recording and playing.

02 dannylux / Mel - Bortkiewicz Lyrica Nova Op.59 No.3, Bortkiewicz
Lush, romantic, beautiful. A moving performance.

03 BenPiano - Prelude Op. 17 No 6, Scriabin
An interesting piece. With its dissonant harmonies I imagine learning it is challenging. You play it well.

04 Jazzwee - Invitation, Bronislau Kaper
The piano is a bit overwhelmed by the bass and drums in this recording, but it sounds good. I am reminded of a jazz ensemble performance at the college I attended (many years ago). The performers answered questions afterward. A trumpet instructor asked Dick Hyman if he thought the piano was too loud in the mix. Hyman's reply was classic. "I guess that depends on whether you're a piano player or not."

05 Inlanding - Glen - Warum? Op 12 No 3, Schumann
I really enjoyed the way you bring out the different voices in this piece. Nice.

06 Mr Super Hunky - There Is Love, Paul Stookey
This is a truly beautiful song. I like your version. It's lush without becoming overwrought.

07 SwissMS - Nocturne in Eb Op. 9 Nr. 2, Chopin
Beautiful! This is one of those pieces that, well played, can bring a tear to my eye. You did.

08 CarlosCC - Ambers, Helen Jane Long
I am not familiar with Long's work, but this is nice. Weell played with feeling and a deft touch.

09 Diana - Raymond - Theme from Overture, Ambroise Thomas
I didn't think I'd heard this one, but it does sound familiar. Nice timing throughout, Diana.

10 Recaredo (Ricardo) - Piano sonata No 25 Op 79. Second movement, Beethoven
Learning new music is never a mistake, Ricardo. That you put your heart into this shows in the dynamics.

flickr

#1944054 - 08/16/12 06:53 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
#56. groucho- Hey, mighty fine playing. Especially with only a few years under your belt.

#55. redKat- I never tire of listening to this waltz. I agree, just a beautiful piece. You do a real nice job with it. Great feel and nice rubato.

#54- Lyricmudra- Wow...You play this so well. I'd love to hear it again when you feel you are finished. Seems pretty perfect already.

#1944059 - 08/16/12 07:01 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: TX-Dennis]
CMohr Offline

50. Falmc - Sweet Sereny Lucky friend to have a song written for her! What a perfectly lovely melody. Your "accompanists" were just right, too. But it's too short - I wanted it to go on. I enjoyed this very much - a beautiful song you've written!

49. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Dance of the Blessed Spirits I know this, but didn't know the title. Great job getting this recorded and sight reading to boot! You definitely put the right feeling into the piece. Lovely melody and very nice playing.

48. DadAgain - Prelude and Fugue XX - A minor Oh yes it is musical! This P & F sounds so "Bach-y tricky". You did a fine job keeping it moving. I think the voices stood out individually, too. Impressive.

47. DadAgains_Daughter - Invention in F Major Amazingly fabulous! You're going to give Dad a run for his money. laugh It sounded just perfect. Brava!

#1944062 - 08/16/12 07:10 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Clemente Offline

Loc: Bergen County, New Jersey
Originally Posted By: SwissMS
51. Clemente - Andalucia I am not that familiar with Lecuono. The Spanish flair came through well. I like the varying dynamics and tempo. Nicely played.

Thank you very much SwissMs. Lecuona was a great composer who wrote beautiful music and I am trying to learn as much of his music as I am able to learn, or rather, handle at my level.

Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88
51. Clemente - Andalucia. Oooh, dramatic and fascinating from the very first chord! Thanks for sharing this piece.

You are very welcome, and thank you so much for your comments. Andalucía is one of Lecuona's better known pieces.

Originally Posted By: Monica K
51. Clemente - Andalucia Oh, this one really took me back. "Andalucia" was my signature solo piece back in my long forgotten accordion days. I had no idea there was a piano solo version of it. The piano version sounds even tougher than the accordion version, and that was tough enough. I'm impressed.

Monica, thank you so very much for commenting. I am so glad that you are familiar with this piece. I did not think that anybody would be! smile Andalucía was originally written for piano solo. You will find transcriptions for every possible instrument solo, bands, orchestration, you name it, it is out there. I would have loved to listen to it being played on the accordion. You are right, it is challenging on some spots, but I am sure that the accordion transcription was just as challenging... as all of his music is. If you would like to compare the accordion version to the original piano solo version, take a look at my video of it. I included the score right alongside my playing.

Originally Posted By: Sam S
51. Clemente - Andalucia Loved the video with the split screen - except there were some buffering problems. Your playing was great. Of course if you put the music up there, then I have to comment - you didn't really speed up the middle section. Now I never would have known about it or missed it if you hadn't included the music!

Sam, thank you for taking the time to view the video and for commenting. I do not know what I did while exporting the movie. Usually, when I do this with enough time, I tick the radio button to make it compatible with Web streaming. I do not know if I did that this time because I was rushing. I recorded in the early afternoon the day before the deadline (It said that I had 20 hours to upload my entry). Then I uploaded the film to my computer, separated the audio from the video, sent the audio to Piano World and started working on the video. I had included a link to the video to my web site, and the video was not there yet. So, I quickly finished working with the video (scanning the score, adding it to the video, etc), and uploaded it to my web site without taking precautions for easy downloads, etc. I am sure that the fault for the buffering is on my side. Sorry about that. blush

You are absolutely right, I did not play the second section "molto vivace." I once heard a pianist do this, and I made fun of him... and now I did it, but I am not a professional; and he was! LOL!! I am glad that I included the score because that gives the viewer a chance to see what was played correctly and what was not. In the coming weeks, I plan to correct this and bring it as much close to perfection as I am able. My teacher is coming back from Russia at the beginning of September and my piano lessons pick up again on 9/6. Once that happens, I will have to concentrate on the stuff that she left behind as homework when she left at the beginning of July. It includes some Brahms and more Lecuona, and although I will keep playing this piece until I totally own it, my true focus will be on the other pieces.

Originally Posted By: CMohr
51. Clemente - Andalucia Oh, I love this melody! Nice job with the left hand throughout - pretty tricky, but you kept that important rhythm flowing nicely. Excellent on the hight register second section. Your piano sounds wonderful! All around, pretty impressive.

Thank you, CMohr. I am glad that you love the melody. It is catchy. smile Yes, it does get pretty tricky at times, but it is doable. Back in December I was saying to myself that this was beyond me. In January I was saying that I would never be able to put the two hands together and make it sound right because of all that polyrhythm stuff, and now it is at least at a pleasant-sounding level. If you like the melody enough to learn the piece, send me a PM...then go to my web site and get the fingering! laugh

Clemente

#1944065 - 08/16/12 07:18 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
02. dannylux / Mel - Bortkiewicz Lyrica Nova Op.59 No.3
I don’t know what I was expecting when I saw the title of your submission but I sure wasn’t prepared for such a wonderful, lush, romantic and well played recording. This is an outstanding effort.

03. BenPiano - Prelude Op. 17 No 6
Another well crafted and nicely executed selection and performance. You obviously put quite a bit of effort into your submissions and it shows.

04. Jazzwee - Invitation
I like the “live” recording – I felt like I was among the appreciative audience. Next time why not see if someone could take a video as well – I’d love to see you jamming with your band.
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes

#1944070 - 08/16/12 07:32 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: BillM]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I’m in awe of your pianistic versatility. As with your original works and your fine interpretation of piano standards your skills and love of music show in the way you can make this somber piece sing.

06. Mr Super Hunky - There is love (The wedding song)
I always enjoy listening to your instrumental piano stylings of popular tunes. I’m a huge Peter, Paul and Mary fan (my mom and dad allowed me to take the bus into downtown D.C. to see them in the very early sixties – I still remember it clearly). You captured the spirit of this very nicely – your “noodling” is quite impressive.

07. SwissMS - Nocturne in Eb Op. 9 Nr. 2
A stately and graceful performance of this classic. Your piano has a ringing quality in the higher registers that is very pleasant.

#1944073 - 08/16/12 07:43 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

08. CarlosCC - Ambers
The fact that you could deliver such an emotional performance of a piece that you are not totally in love with says a lot about you as a performer. Well done.

09. Diana - Raymond - Theme from Overture
I like the crispness of your attack. A confident performance for someone playing only 5 months. Very nice.

10. Recaredo (Ricardo) - Piano sonata No 25 Op 79. Second movement.
I’m glad you decided to give this a shot. Your performance is quite polished and moving. You should be proud of achieving such a fine result for a “stretch” piece.

#1944075 - 08/16/12 07:49 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: CMohr]
DadAgain Offline

Loc: Brisbane, QLD
Originally Posted By: CMohr

47. DadAgains_Daughter - Invention in F Major ..You're going to give Dad a run for his money. ...

"Going to"? No need for the use of future tense here! At the moment I can read better than her, my interpretation on romantic works is better and there are things that I've worked in the past I can play that she cant get anywhere near - but on the stuff she works on, once she's at 'performance' level I cant beat her technical ability!

Defeated by an 8 yr old.... make me sad and proud all at the same time! :-p
Vague Guitar & Bass player.... (former minor income stream 15 yrs ago)
Former conductor... (been a long time since I was set loose with a magic wand!)

#1944093 - 08/16/12 08:39 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
#48. DadAgain- I'm going through the pieces at random and felt in the mood for some Bach... You gave me what I was looking for. There is just something so rich and satisfying about Bach. The different voices in this are so complicated but so cool. Nicely done.

#1944112 - 08/16/12 09:11 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
57 Prelude in E minor (Op28 No4) - Chopin - Tiago84
What a great piece to be working on in your first year, Tiago. I'm just realizing now about the two entries of this piece on this recital. See what I wrote for Andy about what this piece does to me. Two is better than one, when it comes to this entry, for me. I just love this composition. A fine example of less is more. Fabulous job, great selection, I really liked it.

31 Dill Pickle Rag - Johnson, Charles L. - jotur - Cathy Turner
What a fun piece, Cathy. Really catchy sound that is bound to put a smile on the face of anyone entering the room I'd say. I like it. I like it a lot. Thinking of venturing into the Rag realm myself now. Thanks very much.

60. Try A Little Tenderness - BillM
This singing business Bill, adds a really great dimension. The feeling you put in to your pieces really comes through, in a great way. Great singing, great accompaniment, great job. Very inspiring ... I'd love to also give a try, but a bit nervous about. Good for you though. I always look forward to seeing you take the stage in the Bar ...

#1944118 - 08/16/12 09:22 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Strings & Wood Offline

Well done Glen. The piano sounds really nice. Is this your S&S?

#1944119 - 08/16/12 09:35 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Strings & Wood]
Strings & Wood Offline

42. CMohr - Imagination
There is no doubt we like the same melodies. You have picked another good one.

24. Monica K. - Fairy Tale
A very delicate softness to this performance.

#1944126 - 08/16/12 09:58 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Strings & Wood]
CMohr Offline

Big thank yous to SwissMS, Pianostudent88, Clemente and Strings&Wood for listening and commenting on my tune. I sincerely appreciate it! (*Hey Carl, we missed you again this time!)

#1944135 - 08/16/12 10:22 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: BillM]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

11. Jazztpt - Lament
You have created a somewhat dark and meditative mood with this piece. This is one of the more expressive performances of the recital.

12. (Was)TrueBeginner - Goodnight Kiss
How coincidental that you follow Jazztpt with another poignant and melancholy original composition. Nice.

13. kenjazz - A House Is Not A Home
This really got my feet tapping. This is a Professional level performance and recording.

#1944144 - 08/16/12 10:42 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: BillM]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

14. Amaruk - Sur le fil
Well played. I like the red lighting in your video. You do a very good job of maintaining the tempo.

15. Sam S - Prelude and Fugue X WTC1
I’ve enjoyed observing the evolution of your playing over the last couple of years. You strike me as someone who is really working on developing their craft and your efforts are obviously paying dividends. I love the crispness of the faster passages (is that presto??). A very enjoyable listen.

16. Peyton - Mazurka #4 in A Minor
You seem to have given this a little jazz/bluesy flair that I was not expecting. Very cool. Kind of miss your signature artsy video.

#1944153 - 08/16/12 11:08 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
DadAgain Offline

Tough to know where to start - so thought I'd start by listening to all the Chopin since its all stuff I'm familiar with:

In general the standard was high! - Dont any of you guys ever play wrong notes? Obviously a lot of careful practice and preparation around here! Make me feel kinda ashamed at my always untidy efforts.

SwissMS - Nocturne Eflat Op9#2
Beautifully played. Its such a simple sound this nocturne - but that simplicity really bites you in the bum if you stuff up. - You DIDNT stuff up and the result was fantastic. If pressed for a criticism I'd say there was some uneveness in the RH runs that 'd prefer to be more equal (I probably play them more equal but with fistfulls of bum notes - so on balance your approach is better!). I love the brave slow start to the final cadenza-ish trill - really 'hold your breath and wait for it' stuff!

22 Lady Chen - Nocturne Emin Op72#1
I love this nocturne and often have a stab at it myself. Your last page was fantastic (much tidier than I ever manage)with a real dark mood to it that I liked right up until the lightness of the final coda. If I had to offer any criticism I'd say that some of your right hand melody on the first page was a little harsh - but its really tough to project a nice tone without it coming across that way (I'm not saying I can do any better by the way!)

34 Andy Platt - Prelude Emin Op28#4
Initially your left hand chords were a little unsteady. I've heard plenty of people talk about Chopin rubato suggesting that your LH should be fairly metronomic, with the RH doing all the variation for expression. Obviously thats overstating the case a little, but I think its something for all of us to bear in mind when getting indulgent with Chopin's work. Your dynamic build through the piece was great and there was plenty of control at the ending. Very beautiful.

55 RedKat - Waltz Bmin
I think this may be my favourite Chopin waltz and you did a great job. Your tone is crisp and clear. I'm not convinced about all your rubato in the first section (and its reprisal), but perhaps its just *different* to how I'd do it? (I cant put my finger on what I'd do different - sorry!). Fantastic performance!

57 Tiago84 - Prelude Emin Op28#4
Great recording, really nice sound. Lovely playing of a beautiful piece. The holding back before the final 3 chords was just a little long but really draws the tension out! Absolutely stella effort for a few months of playing! Congratulations - keep going!!!!

(N.B. Any criticism are not meant negatively - I enjoyed everything immensely, but I know I like to hear suggestions of how I can improve, so I've tried to give some of that type of feedback to others - no matter how trivial the issues mentioned are. Well done everyone - you've killed my work productivity today!)

#1944156 - 08/16/12 11:10 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: BillM]
CMohr Offline

17. ladypayne - A New Change Absolutely beautiful! You have matured on the piano by leaps and bounds. I love the oboe-it gives your piece that plaintiff quality and moves into an exciting expectation to the middle section. Fabulous composition. Love the slide shoe and the recording is wonderful, too! Good luck in Alaska.

18. Riddler (Ed) - Slaughter On Tenth Avenue I always look forward to your submissions. This was an extra-special treat. So cool, I love it! It does have a movie/musical feel to it, but is made grander with your able fingers. I love how the theme has so many different moody variations, and you've given each a flavor all their own. I was dazzled!

19. Greener / Jeff Green - Schindler's List - Theme Welcome to the recital! Every time I hear this I get goosebumps....even now as I listen to your performance. Really well done. You've captured the heartbreak and glimmer of hope very well in your interpretation by keeping the haunting melody a little sparse - very fitting.

20. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Rigaudon & Entree Perfect choice in pairing the two pieces. They really flow together well. Rigaudon is played with the perfect touch and feeling. The Entree is assuredly played - your confidence is shining through. Nice duo you've presented. A completely pleasant listen!

#1944195 - 08/17/12 12:00 AM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
11 jazztpt - Lament
This piece is dark and lush sounding. Nice performance.

12 (Was)TrueBeginner - Goodnight Kiss
This is also a dark moody piece. I'm not sure the title fits the mood of the piece. I think of a goodnight kiss as something a bit more positive. Nice music, though.

13 kenjazz - A House is Not a Home, Bacharach/David
You handle the speed well, kenjazz. If you aren't playing out somewhere, you should be. Nice!

14 Amaruk - Sur le Fil, Yann Tiersen
You have certainly done it justice, Amaruk. This is simply beautiful!

15 Sam S - Prelude and Fugue X WTC1, Bach
Those devilish ornaments that Bach used to torture pianists got you in a few places, but this is coming along nicely. You must have worked on the fast part in the prelude a lot. It sounds quite nice. I think the fugue is in better shape overall than the prelude. It's quite nicely done.

flickr

#1944208 - 08/17/12 12:29 AM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jazzwee Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
Thanks to all your wonderful comments! Here's a few from me.

05. Inlanding - Glen - Warum? Op 12 No 3 Always looking forward to your fantastic piano touch and tone and it always never fails to give me goose pimples. So wonderful! Are you able to play now? Must be so impatient to get back.

08. CarlosCC - Ambers You are sounding so good now Carlos. You've come a long way from your dedication. Really good tone and evenness. Wonderful balance between the hands. Melody is brought out nicely. Great job. This is a nice piece too.

11. Jazztpt - Lament I swoon at the sound of those lush chords and complex harmony. Then combine that with your glorious piano touch and we're in heaven. Beautiful work.

13. kenjazz - A House Is Not A Home - I thought I was listening to a live trio (with better recording than mine!). You're really building a nice touch and feel already. It's really hard to sound remotely good so early in jazz and you are doing great so quickly. Excellent work.

18. Riddler (Ed) - Slaughter On Tenth Avenue Once again I am awed by the amount of music you know. I know that at every recital you will surprise me with some new tune. So well played and unlike your usual style of going with accompaniment. Nice change because it highlights your long developed piano skills. Lovely work.

22. Lady Chen - Nocturne in E minor, op. 72, no. 1 Excellent piano skills! Obviously no beginner and wonderful playing. Everything is so smoothly played and great balance between the hands and fingers. Fantastic tone. Bravo!

31. jotur/Cathy Turner - Dill Pickle Rag Wow. So well performed! Great tone on the piano and excellent rhythm. You have come so far from when I first came to ABF. Perfect!

33. knotty - Petite Fleur Of course I've heard this before and it's on Reverbnation. I just want to say that the recording is awesome. I've so far not found a good live environment where I'm able to take a nice recording. It's always noisy or too much carpeting or too boomy. Is this at your house? Great sounding comping work and soloing. Triplet 16ths now! Moving up in the chops world. I liked how you kept it simple. Excellent musicians all around.

34. Andy Platt - Prelude in E Minor (Opus 28, No 4) Nice balance between the hands Andy! Now this tune requires more advanced technique than is obvious and you are doing extremely well for 2 years of lessons. And you even can sense the tension in the LH. Well we all have it still so it does take awhile. I would develop a more consistent rhythm in the LH. Just because it's rubato doesn't mean the time wavers. The time stretch has to feel consistent. So think about that. Great work. Love it!

35. Newman - Desperado - You're playing wonderfully and accompanying yourself with such perfect rhythm. Doing great work and welcome to the recital. Excellent singing.

42. CMohr - Imagination Always looking forward to your playing especially your beautiful two handed voicings. You don't even realize how far you've gotten all these years. Beautiful work. You've begun to specialize in this kind of solo piano playing.

51. Clemente - Andalucia Nice legato playing and good piano tone Clemente. You're doing very well for so little instruction so far. Let's try to bring you to the next level. You ought to slow it down, particularly that left hand rhythm (maybe at least to 25%) and allow those muscles to develop. This is a difficult rhythm to be doing. And then bring down the touch a notch. You will find some magic weight that's a little less that will bring out the tone even more. Nice balance between the hands. Great work!

58. AndyMc - Riverlights #1 First of all welcome to the recital and thanks for your comments. Glad to have you here. Beautiful playing. I didn't realize it was an original composition. That makes it doubly special. Wonderful piano tone that's not so obvious given the iphone recording. Fantastic work.

60. BillM - Try A Little Tenderness Beautiful haunting tune. You played it wonderfully. Just loved the little tinkling you do on the keys. So smooth. And of course, great vocals as always.

#1944226 - 08/17/12 01:32 AM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
02. dannylux / Mel - Bortkiewicz Lyrica Nova Op.59 No.3 - Wow- splendid! I hope to play this sort of stuff in another 3 or so years (give or take 10 years). You played this beautifully!

03. BenPiano - Prelude Op. 17 No 6 - Dude, get a teacher!

04. Jazzwee - Invitation - Nice improv - the audience (including us) surely appreciated it! Your band sounds great!

05. Inlanding - Glen - Warum? Op 12 No 3 - You know, I think I'm a Schumann fan now after hearing this. I was never particularly impressed with pieces he wrote that were at my level, but time after time, I hear gems like this for more advanced players that are just exquisite and really inspire me to get to this level some day. There are so many layers to this, and you played them all perfectly enough to inspire a noob like me to learn one day. I hope you get well enough to play this again!

06. Mr Super Hunky - There is love (The wedding song) - Another beautiful submission for the recital - you're really an inspiration for those not taking formal piano lessons to just keep noodling around on the piano and figure it out. Not many can do it like you do - but we can all aspire to be almost as awesome. wink

15. Sam S - Prelude and Fugue X WTC1 - hehe, I'm working on a Bach invention right now - it's hard to appreciate his genius unless one has tried to decipher it! This sounds seriously difficult - I'm glad your playing it and not me! wink Very well done, and thanks again for maintaining the recital index! smile

16. Peyton - Mazurka #4 in A Minor - Wonderfully played - your ease with the piece makes it sound much less "monumentally difficult" than it is. I'm glad you submitted this!

24. Monica K. - Fairy Tale - I thought you played this wonderfully despite your reservations. Had I learned this, it would have been playing in my head as I traveled on several vacations over the past month - every new hill revealing its own fairy tale.

#1944234 - 08/17/12 02:01 AM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Sorry if this is a bit cluttered, but its copied over from a Word doc for the most part

1.wouter79 – What catchy counterpoint. Overall, I really enjoyed the playing. Thanks for introducing me to some more Rameau – I’ll need to invest time into listening to more now.
2.dannylux – Those ARE some beautiful melodies, and you made them sing quite serenely. Thanks for sharing
3.benpiano – What calming playing – nice!
4.Jazzwee – I wish I could’ve made out your playing a little clearer, but what I could hear was great. I aspire to play jazz and improvise as comfortably as yourself one day.
5.Inlanding – Nice playing (that apparently runs in the family!). If you’re even sort of contemplating it, you really should look into lessons – if nothing else, it’s helped me personally stay more accountable with my learning and thus progress quicker (along with learning various things I wouldn’t have otherwise!)
6.Mr Super Hunky – What rich, delicate sounds you bring to life. If you ever do play at wedding venues, I’m sure your playing would make for the absolute perfect experience.
7.Swissms – Excellent tone and sense of rhythm – I’m envious.
8.CarlosCC – Beautiful, expressive playing.
9.Diana – What a wonderful little tune. Simple, of course, but as far as doing the most with the least goes, you really brought it to life. I look forward to hearing you play more in the future.
10.Recaredo – I also got a little ahead of myself choosing to learn the piece that I did. It may not have been the most EFFICIENT use of time, but when you can sit down and play that piece that just a short time ago you felt was impossible, but yet so breathtaking, it all feels worth it. Great job with what you have thus far, but don’t think the pedestal that is mastery over a Beethoven sonata doesn’t require a lot of time and effort to stand comfortably on!
11.Jazztpt – I think you did a good job articulating your feelings of loss in the composition. Very nice work
12.(Was)TrueBeginner – Nice composition
13.kenjazz – Quite the performance, sir. Loved to see just how much you put into the presentation. I enjoyed the rendition and will have to look up Hazeltine’s performance
14.Amaruk – Ah, I keep forgetting to learn some Yann Tiersen. A re-arranged Comptine d’un Autre (I think that was the title) was one of the many reasons I decided to pick up the instrument. The various compositions have such quaint, warm melodies. You did a good job bringing this one out.
15.Sam S – The E minor P+F is probably my favorite – especially the fugue! I agree that it’s arguably the most unique of Bach’s WTC having the only 2-voice fugue. Great job with it so far. If you aren’t already familiar with it, http://www2.nau.edu/tas3/wtc/i10.html#movie is a great resource for analysis and recordings not only on this particular fugue, but all the fugues of Bach’s WTC – check it out, it’s quite wonderful and, as interested in the WTC as you’ve come across in my short time here, likely of some value to you. I particularly like the analysis page (http://www2.nau.edu/tas3/wtc/) for picking out fugues to listen to.
16.Peyton – Such exquisitely clear note articulation – you exhibit a very professional touch here. Whether this piece could be considered "monumental" or not, I don't know - whatever the case, however, your playing very much IS monumental here.
17.ladypayne – I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that I’m such a big fan of your own work after how blown away I was at your composition from the last recital – I really feel you could score professionally (assuming you don’t already). This one has such a trance-like feeling about it and fits incredibly well with the video you made for it. Thanks for sharing and keep them coming! Most importantly, enjoy your new home in Alaska and best of luck settling in.
18.Riddler – Your playing conveyed what felt like unrequited feelings finally being able to be expressed through the medium that is piano – be it the playing, your description, or some combination of the two that made me think that, I certainly can’t say. Regardless, I absolutely your playing as well as that piece. I’m personally striving to branch out as much as musically possible in hopes that if and when I come to teach one day as I aspire to, I won’t be forced to turn a student away that enjoys something I can’t enjoy myself out of ignorance, or, far worse, instill a several-decade-long hatred of playing music.
19.Greener – I agree with your description of the piece. You did a good job expressing that “romantic heartbreak” feel.
20.Casinitaly – I like your approach to recording – maybe I’ll try employing it next time (I say that now until I screw up mid-take, haha). You did well with both pieces, especially the first, considering your self-restrictions.
21.timmyab – A very musical moment …musical. I especially enjoyed that forte (?) section and then it coming back to its original level.
22.Lady Chen – You portrayed the pieces haunting, yet beautiful qualities superbly. Absolutely loved your technique.
23.MrPozor – I’d have to see the score to really notice if you missed anything, but I thought you’re playing was really good, not even noticing that you’re self-taught of 4 months time. As far as just generic feedback on playing any piece, objectively identify problem areas and proactively set time aside to focus just on those areas as slowly as necessary several, several times over until you can play them as smoothly and unconsciously as all the rest. Be sure to check out the Adult Beginners Forum (which you’re on), the Pianist Corner, as well as possibly some of the others for advice and tips of all kinds.
24.Monica K. – As soon as your warm playing started, before I looked who it was, I thought the player had absolute mastery over their piece… and I continued to think as such throughout the music’s entirety. Though a simple piece technically, I think musically this is by far one of the standout performances up to this point.
25.Cookie74 – I’m not sure about the dynamics (as mentioned) having never played the piece, but thought you did a good job with it.
26.Mile Hi Steve – At first, I thought your description said 6 years public performance and thought that matched well with the excellent playing, but 6 months seems far too short to exhibit that sort of control over a performance. Quite a stand-out performance. Unfortunately I just noticed I had to follow you ahhhh! ha
27.bobpickle – Hah, your articulations are too exaggeratedly pronounced and rhythm inconsistent. It’s a good thing we’re smoothing that out, eh
28.joangolfing – A nice rendition of a Schumann work I hadn’t heard prior. Congratulations on the new grand – I’m jealous.
29.Mar_red – Quite the description! I can honestly say I listened intently through to the end and did enjoy it.
30.cscl – A nice rendition of a bagatelle I had not heard. I wish you the best with your new home for you and your piano.
31.jotur – A fun little song – I agree that it might be a bit more enjoyable faster paced, but still enjoyed it nonetheless.
32.Trapperjohn – I liked the cantabile playing and agree with you on the beauty of the piece.
33.knotty – I enjoyed your soloing.
34.Andy Platt – Excellent rendition of the prelude. My teacher presented me with this piece discussing freedom from notated rhythm while still retaining control and you did an exquisite job of this here. Thanks for sharing.
35.Newman – Great accompanying/cover! Impressive that you learned it by ear.
36.Copper – Good job, Copper.
37.Jake S – Very controlled and articulate playing for 7 months – nice dedication; was a very pleasant listen.
38.Augustina – Surprisingly good recording for a cell phone. Good cover.
39.Sand Tiger – Very nice little piece and good playing. Happy learning!
40.Serge88 – Nice cover – congratulations on learning it and I’m glad you had fun.
41.Starr Keys – Beautiful cover and excellent job arranging to best support your singing.
42.Cmohr – I love that you learned and played this at the request of your 90-year-old mother.
43.Clavboy – No matter how many covers of this prelude I hear, it still sounds pleasant – I find it unique in that respect. For what it’s worth, I think you played it well – it was a smooth, enjoyable interpretation and the first beat didn’t really stick out more than it should.
44.Ken. – As little a fan as I am of much dissonant music, I enjoyed your playing.
45.DaveinDenton – Such exquisitely delicate playing. You did a truly excellent job evoking the emotions of the piece.
46.MaryBee – Very Mozartian in its exactness. Excellent, controlled playing. I can see how you could fall in love with it like you did – I ought to look up the second movement.
47.Dadagain Daughter – Good playing. I can see what you meant when you said your daughter had a strong affinity for these works.
48.Dadagain – You certainly didn’t want to let your daughter out-do you, huh? wink A very musical and playful rendition here – quite enjoyable.
49.Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White (is that really your username? lol) - Sweet little cover.
50.Falmc – Very pleasant little piece – the ending could have a bit more of an “ending” feel to it, though. When in doubt, throwing in a IVI perfect cadence will finish a piece off.
51.Clemente – Excitable playing in a fun, upbeat piece.
52.Norrec – Haha that did remind me of the show. The playing was nice. If you aren’t already familiar with the tune from the show, check out the theme “Brothers” (Germanseabass on youtube has an excellent rendition) that you might also like – sheets were also made on his website.
53.notbach – I’ve never heard a performance of this piece prior either so yours will be the “standard” now smile . It was nice, especially considering the time put into it.
54.lyricmudra – It may be a work in progress, but it sounded good nevertheless!
55.Redkat – Though I feel the tempo could’ve been a bit more secure in places (like I critiqued mine! Haha), I do think you conveyed the feeling of the piece quite nice. I’m glad you had fun with challenging yourself – for such a work, it’s rewarding.
56.Grouchomarx – I really liked it, but wish I could’ve enjoyed the whole thing (cadenza and all wink )!
57.Tiago84 – Textbook playing – but almost too much so! Feel free to exercise a bit more freedom with the tempo. That being said, though, very enjoyable and accomplished playing. Congratulations on the first recital!
58.AndyMc – Nice playing/composition. Welcome to the forums.
59.yohyrral – Larry Hoy spelt backwards? No wonder your username is so weird, haha. As far as your playing goes, it was very nice! I enjoyed being introduced to such nice new melodies.
60.BillM – Very serene playing, Bill. Your playing complemented your voice spectacularly. Calming and quite pleasant
61.PianoStudent88 – I don’t know about Ivan, but you certainly sing in your playing smile . Very nice

Special [much sought-after] Pickle Award recipients:
Favorite performance: Monica K
Favorite composition: ladypayne – A New Change
Favorite piece: Bach – Prelude and Fugue in E minor WTC bk. 1 BWV 855 (Sam S)
Favorite new piece [I hadn’t heard prior]: Theme from Schindler’s List (Greener & DaveinDenton; melodies from different parts of the same movie, I hear, but both still gorgeous)

Thanks to everyone for the opportunity to play like this and be heard.

Edited by Bobpickle (08/17/12 03:28 AM)

#1944258 - 08/17/12 04:06 AM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
DadAgain Offline

Comment by Dadagains Daughter:

25 Cookie74 - Bach Invention #4
Definately a good performance. You are right the recording really flattens out the dynamics. I had the same problem when I recorded it last year:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7-mlXar864
(I play it a bit slower than you too)

#1944260 - 08/17/12 04:08 AM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
As far as for #62 (Mister Sam Rose), maybe if you visited the forums more and didn't wait until 10 minutes to the supposed cutoff to try and submit your piece *waves finger*! Just kidding, just kidding (sort of wink )

I watched your performance on youtube (actually on the 14th when u uploaded it - I'm subscribed to your channel) and liked it.

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Single note with a "harsh sound"
by i1lsia
9 minutes 18 seconds ago
Schaff Bros baby grand piano $300
by Paul678
Today at 11:24 AM
What to Practice, Given My Goal
by st23
Today at 09:11 AM
Roland V Combo VR-09 Question
by contented
Today at 09:11 AM
Rachmoninoff Piano Concertos
by RED SHIFT1
Today at 08:48 AM
Forum Stats
77354 Members
42 Forums
159985 Topics
2349421 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission