2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 9 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 90 of 106 1 2 88 89 90 91 92 105 106
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
What did Jerry do today? hahaha!! The same thing he did yesterday and the day before. Why? Cause, Jerry is on vacation this week!!! Muhaha!

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Jerry's on vacation and I'm not! This isn't right.

'Drove 45 miles of an 85 mile trip to replace a bass string and realized that the string was back home on the counter. I called all red-faced and rescheduled the appt. Hey, maybe this is a vacation after all.

Naaa, still got stuff on the schedule tomorrow.

I was right. Life isn't fair!!!

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
hahahahahaha, I set here laughing my butt off David!!! I did that once okay, maybe, twice......... with my tool box.. Drove 45 minutes to the appt only to find that I had left it home... Was using it in my shop the day before. Kept in my trunk after the 2nd or 3rd time and bought SHOP TOOLS!!!! smile

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Yesterday, I tuned a beautiful old "Cornish" upright, from around 1898. Beautifuly carved case, tall piano. Hat's off to the pro tuners...standing and tuning an upright is a lot different than tuning a grand! It needs a complete rebuild, which is not possible at this time. Never the less, the pinblock was treated some years ago with Krazy Glue, and it still is holding pretty well. All the strings are shot....the last time I tuned it, got to C8, and broke one string!...the oly string I have broken in my short tuning career. wink No strings broken yesterday. smile Ipad Verituner set to Average, ET.

It's her 50th birthday....this was her birthday present....I've known her parents for 35 years...it originally belonged to her mom, who was there and said she never heard it sound that great.......Interesting finds: on the bottom section, which I removed to take a pic, there was in chalk on the inside, "july, 1901"..... Here are a few pics.....What is that fourth pedal for? I looked up the Cornish brand...it looked to be a mail-order company that made ornate cases and organs.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Grandpianoman; 08/14/12 04:58 PM. Reason: added content
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Beautiful piano GP! The fourth pedal was likely for a muting bar, similar to what Yamaha and other brands uses their middle pedal for. It'll bring down a piece of felt for softer playing. Practice pedal... It sure is hard to beat some of the quality and sounds of many of these older pianos.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Starting from the left there is the Dolce pedal (moves hammer set to strings) next is the rinky tink pedal, next the muting bar pedal which may have a notch cut into the cabinet to lock into place, then sustain pedal.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
It looks like the two middle pedals are tied together. One may lock and the other release. However, the mechanism is gone.

Semipro Tech
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
A customer's wildly yapping little dog bit me on the arm today as I was putting away my tools and talking to the customer. Totally unexpected and unprovoked! Nothing serious, only a few marks on my arm and the customer apologized profusely. Only the second time a dog bit me in somebody's house in 43 years of tuning people's pianos. Neither incident was serious. I just brushed it off as something that could happen. The customer gave me first aid and that was enough.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I was bitten in the leg (not today) by one of those little yapping dogs. With the dog attached to my leg, I immediately kicked my leg (my leg, not the dog) and watched the dog slide quite fast across the floor into the far wall. I didn't feel bad about it then, and I don't now.

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
The only thing that's bitten me so far was someone's cat. The cat rubbed up against me, so I reached down to pet it, and chomp.....ha ha...

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I was bitten only once. It required stitches. Unbenounced to me, the dog was laying underneath the piano bench, quite docile and content. I had to move the bench to readjust my tuning position. As I did so, the dog looked up at me so, I reached further down to pet it thinking it was fine. It whipped its head around biting my hand requiring several stitches along with a shot. Afterward, the customer tells me, oh, the dog bites.... I'm thinking, then, why in the heck is the stupid dog out here with people???

At any rate, the doctor asked me all sorts of questions including the name of the client, the address then says, oh boy, that dog is considered a biter. Apparently, they are only allowed so many bites and they are put to sleep. This one, was put to sleep. I felt bad, in a way but, not that bad. If the dang dog bites, it shouldn't be around people, period.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I have learned to NEVER put my hand down for a dog. For the most part, I just ignore them, which seems to work. I've never understood why people keep dogs that bite...

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Jer,

So what did you tune on that piano? The Ever-Biting Vet's Temperament?

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
1977 "Ortega" 8' + 8' harpsichord (Rainer Schütze, Heidelberg)
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
No, I de-tuned it. One string for every 3 notes! Gave it the real jazzzzzzy, rinky dink (tink? haha , loose tuning pin sound. smile hehe

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Helped getting over 100+ pianos ready for a Piano Summer School over the past few weeks. Highlight of today:

[Linked Image]

Piano Technician
B
BDB Offline
B
I dropped a glass washing dishes and cut my hand. Not too bad, but I went to the emergency room and will need to watch it for a week.

Semipro Tech
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Went back to my full time job of choir teacher today. I have 50 students in my high school choir this year!!! That is at a high school on only 300 students total!!! I teach at our middle school too. Got a new batch of 6th graders this year. After school today a brother to one of those new 6th graders told me that his sister said that choir was "AWESOME" today. Makes you feel good as a teacher!

Getting my new truck all fixed up with my logo, complete with piano keys along the rocker panels on Monday. I'll post a pic when it's done.

Ryan G. Hassell
Hassell's Piano Tuning
Farmington, MO
www.hassellspianotuning.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hassells-Piano-Tuning/163155880804
ryanhassell@hotmail.com
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Setting behind my neighbor's house gettting free WI-FI! Stealing it... With their permission of course! Can usually get it from my cottage but, to darn windy. Won't pick it up today so, here I set, freezing my butt off in the cold, windy weather which should make some of you quite happy! Getting down to around 40 something tonight! BRRRRRR

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Eric Gloo
I have learned to NEVER put my hand down for a dog. For the most part, I just ignore them, which seems to work. I've never understood why people keep dogs that bite...

Depends, some people live in a neighborhood where its appropriate like heavy break ins, muggings ect...its nice to have a dog that watches your back (or your family's).

Its senseless to ask someone if their dog bites. All dogs can bite... their teeth are the only business end they have on their body and its programmed in their dna to make use of it when needed. Of course they can also be startled or frightened like any other creature and aloof of strangers. The point is that they do the deciding. Anyone asking me if my dog bites I just reply "He can", and leave it at that.

Piano Technician
George Brown College /85
Niagara Region
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB
I dropped a glass washing dishes and cut my hand. Not too bad, but I went to the emergency room and will need to watch it for a week.

Lots of people are having odd accidents.

I am working on a Steinway A and the lady broke her wrist (scaphoid) so no concert at the end of the month.

A friend has their kid attacked and mauled by a cougar in a campground the other day.

Saved a guys life last weekend on the Crowsnest Hwy just the other side of Allison Pass,(4403ft.) after he skidded into the rock wall on his Harley. Dangerous 7% grade (1 in 14) down the back side into Princeton. The whole thing was a nightmare…..

Burned a four inch line in my leg trying to get the bike off of him.

Page 90 of 106 1 2 88 89 90 91 92 105 106

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission