2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Carey, clothearednincompo, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,889 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
31. jotur/Cathy Turner - Dill Pickle Rag Wow, what a great beat. I disagree with your thoughts on the tempo - I think this is perfect rag time. Lovely playing Cathy!

32. TrapperJohn - Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again (from "Phantom...") This is a beautiful performance of this song (yes, I could hear the words in my head). Tender in parts, surging forwards where necessary.

33. knotty - Petite Fleur Love it, love it! As usual I wish there could be MORE piano wink. It's got a great vibe, your playing just fills in exactly the spots that need it. The rhythm in your chords is spot on. Wonderful!

34. Andy Platt - Prelude in E Minor (Opus 28, No 4) I think I said it all in the comments ... I don't think there's a single chord that's completely together. OK, one or two, and it's not that bad. And I really like the ending though my teacher would ask where the top note went wink

35. Newman - Desperado It sounds like there's rain in the background which really adds to the atmosphere. I love this song and I love your performance - your voice really suits it. When I sing it it gets really rough on the higher notes! I liked the arrangement you made - and the playing really worked nicely.

36. Copper - Ave Maria A very beautiful and touching performance. The melodic line was so carefully phrased and the overall piece was shaped very nicely.

37. Jake S - Ah Vous Dirai-je Maman For seven months this is outstanding. The main theme was played delightfully. You might want to take the faster variations a teeny bit slower so they don't come out rushed. There was great interplay between the bass notes and the melody which is very tricky to bring off. Great job! Oh, and to memorize a piece of this length is a feat in itself!

38. Augustina - Touched I think the tempo worked very well, and where it changed, it was very natural. It was lovingly phrased too. I was touched! wink

39. Sand Tiger - Ashokan Farewell I love this tune from the epic series on the Civil War. You did a great job with it (particularly for a beginner); yes, working on the "bigger" pieces consumes a chunk of our time. Forget about 14 weeks ... nothing wink. As you develop you'll play it with a little more freedom and that will complete it.

40. Serge88 - What'd I say Awesome! I bought a Ray Charles songbook this year but haven't played much yet. I'll definitely have to look this one up. I thought your tempo was great - yes, slower than the original but it works well since it's a blues song anyway. And you kept a great bass line (perhaps bring it out slightly more in places?). Some of the riffs were awesome.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
20. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Rigaudon & Entree
I make a point to read your entries in the AOTW thread – you have such a positive outlook on learning the piano and your enthusiasm is contagious. I enjoyed listening to you play.

21. timmyab - Moment musical Nr.2
A lyrical and very musical performance. It sounds like you are caressing the notes. Very nice.

22. Lady Chen - Nocturne in E minor, op. 72, no. 1
A very competent rendering of this sometimes dark and brooding piece. Excellent dynamics and contrast between the dark and light sections.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Here's another batch of comments:

01. wouter79 - La Poule (Nouvelles suites de pieces de clavecin, No.12) I think you captured the spirit of it. It does sound rushed in places, especially the areas with a lot of notes (are those ornaments?), particularly in the left had at the ends of phrases. A slower tempo might help...

02. dannylux / Mel - Bortkiewicz Lyrica Nova Op.59 No.3 You are definitely the ABF Bortkiewicz expert. This pieces sound like so much fun to play, and your love of the music really comes through in your performance. I'm amazed you can learn them as fast as you do...

03. BenPiano - Prelude Op. 17 No 6 I have to confess that I do not get Scriabin - it just seems to wander and never arrive anywhere to me. It's not your playing! Sounds like you have good control of it.

04. Jazzwee - Invitation Wow. Real live jazz improvisation! Sounds great!

05. Inlanding - Glen - Warum? Op 12 No 3 OK, you faked me out - the video link goes to some nice jazz... Wasn't Warum a song? I'm a little fuzzy on the history - I know Liszt made a transcription. Anyway, it sounds great - it's great that you can continue your father's tradition.

06. Mr Super Hunky - There is love (The wedding song) As usual, Mr. S-H, you've done a great job capturing this piece.

07. SwissMS - Nocturne in Eb Op. 9 Nr. 2 Sounds great! the trills and odd polyrhythms came out very well. I just love this piece.

08. CarlosCC - Ambers It does sound very New Age. I think you captured the mood of it - very nice control.

10. Recaredo (Ricardo) - Piano sonata No 25 Op 79. Second movement. You are brave to tackle this! You did a very good job with it. I hope to try some Beethoven sometime this winter, but it will probably be opus 10#1.

11. Jazztpt - Lament Nice control - I liked the buildup and release at about 1:20-1:30. At times it doesn't sound like jazz, and at times it does - very interesting. I can see it being played in a dim smoke-filled bar (do they even have those anymore?) with blue lights on the pianist.

12. (Was)TrueBeginner - Goodnight Kiss I really liked it! Very moody and dreamy.

13. kenjazz - A House Is Not A Home I'm totally clueless about how you produce something like this - sounds like a real band!

14. Amaruk - Sur le fil Never seen the movie and I'm not familiar with the music, but you did a great job. Very smooth and confident.

16. Peyton - Mazurka #4 in A Minor I love this piece - I hope to try it someday. I know what you mean about going back to old pieces and trying to play them well, it can be so frustrating. But I love your rendition.

17. ladypayne - A New Change I loved the whole thing! Video, music, instruments - all of it. What an adventure!

18. Riddler (Ed) - Slaughter On Tenth Avenue How dare she call Richard Rogers undignified! Just think what a great pianist you might have become if she had let you play what you loved... Just kidding - wonderful performance.

20. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Rigaudon & Entree Every time the recital comes around I am delighted by your progress. I think I heard some pedal in there too! Keep up the good work!

21. timmyab - Moment musical Nr.2 Yes, this piece is difficult to play correctly, but you did a great job. The middle section always reminds of one of the Mendelssohn Venetian boat songs for some reason. Of course, Schubert came first! I really enjoyed it.

24. Monica K. - Fairy Tale Excellent job, as always, Monica. Your string of hits continues!

26. Mile Hi Steve - Leaning on the Everlasting Arms Interesting arrangement - loved it.

28. joangolfing - The Poet Speaks New piano! Sounds great! Your playing too - ha ha!

29. Mar_red - Rosemary's Baby - Lullaby Your own arrangement? Sounds great!

30. cscl - Bagatelle in G minor, Op. 119, No. 1 Very elegant and sensitively played. Loved it!

31. jotur/Cathy Turner - Dill Pickle Rag So full of energy! My toes are tapping...

32. TrapperJohn - Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again (from "Phantom...") Trapp, thanks for keeping us up-to-date on these show tunes. I would know nothing about this if you didn't explain it so well. I really enjoyed it.

33. knotty - Petite Fleur I've heard this in movies but never knew what it was. Is that your band playing? Thanks...

34. Andy Platt - Prelude in E Minor (Opus 28, No 4) Excellent!

36. Copper - Ave Maria Very nicely done. Loved that counter melody in the left hand.

38. Augustina - Touched Smooth touch and wonderful dynamics!

39. Sand Tiger - Ashokan Farewell I love this piece - great job!

More later!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
I'm on a roll this morning - hope to listen to them all before I leave for vacation.

41. Starr Keys - It Goes Like It Goes Liberal changes to the piano piece work very nicely. You should have kept quiet - nobody would ever know. Another piece that really suits your voice even if you have to stretch a teeny bit. Although I didn't know the song, you made it feel so familiar - great!

42. CMohr - Imagination Nice story how you came to learn this piece. It is played with a great deal of tenderness and feeling. A very nice arrangement too. Beautiful.

43. ClavBoy - Prelude No. 1 C Major BWV 846 This is one of my favorite of Bach's preludes. I think you undersold your performance; there is a natural phrasing to each arpeggio and I think you got it pretty nicely. Perhaps taper it slightly at the end of each phrase and it would be perfect. There is a nice dynamic progression to the piece. I think the legato was fine. Listen to Glenn Gould's performances and there is none (more Baroque); I prefer there to be some.

44. Ken. - Light Blue I think you could have got away with the slower tempo anyway. It was nice to hear it twice because it's kind of short otherwise. You have a nice sense of the rhythm; perhaps a teeny bit more dynamic range?

45. daveindenton - Theme from Schindler's List A very beautiful performance of this piece. I really liked the tempo changes and the balance between the theme and the accompaniment. Beautifully shaped throughout - building from such a delicate opening.

46. MaryBee - Sonata in C minor, K.457, Mvt.1 Definitely no drunken uncle. This is one of my favorite movements of Mozart's sonatas and I think you got it very nicely. Some of the runs can be tricky to perform in a natural way which works for Mozart, but you managed very nicely. And I loved the little trills and turns - expertly done.

47. DadAgains_Daughter - Invention in F Major This invention rocks along at a great pace! It's very nicely played too, with both voices clear but together. Excellent!

48. DadAgain - Prelude and Fugue XX - A minor The prelude was delightfully played - great tempo, with nice ornaments and careful phrasing. I hear the same problems you mention in the fugue but it was still very enjoyable, with great counterplay between the hands.

49. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Dance of the Blessed Spirits Very nice; I don't usually enjoy the synth strings but this did add a nice atmosphere to the piece. There is a great, gentle dance (well, swaying) rhythm going through the piece and I enjoyed how the melody worked over it.

50. Falmc - Sweet Sereny Your girlfriend is lucky to have this piece written for her. Ooops, just realized I was matching the wrong piece up in my comments. I actually just let your playing wash over me - it was very gentle and enjoyable.

Kawai K3
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
16 Peyton - Mazurka #4 in A Minor, Chopin
I do not believe I have heard this one before. It certainly doesn't sound all that easy. A nice enjoyable performance.

17 ladypayne - A New Change
Wow! This is excellent. Wonderful composition and a great listen. Here's wishing you the best as you embark upon your new life in Alaska.

18 Riddler (ed) - Slaughter On Tenth Avenue, Richard Rodgers
Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash . . . wherever you are. My first recital pieces were a kiddie piece called Chief Red Feather by John W. Schaum (I still have the sheets) and a very simple version of The Marine's Hymn, so I guess my teacher did not share the same reservations. I was six and we played on a Baldwin grand at a local piano store. What fun that was. Oh . . . I digress a bit, don't I. Nice job, Ed. I enjoyed listening, and I'm sure "Mrs. Calabash," if she heard it somewhere, enjoyed it too.

19 Greener / Jeff Green - Schindler's List - Theme, John Williams
Schindler's List is one of the best motion pictures ever made, and the score is amazing. Nice job, Jeff.

20 CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Rigaudon, Handel & Entree, L. Mozart
Nice job, Cheryl. I know what you mean about the puzzle like quality of these pieces. Your performance is quite enjoyable.

Last edited by TX-Dennis; 08/17/12 12:08 PM.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
21 timmyab - Moment musical Nr.2, Schubert
This sounds wonderful, timmyab. Your dynamics are wonderful here, and any timing errors were minimal and not objectionable at all. A beautiful performance.

22 Lady Chen - Nocturne in E minor, op. 72, no. 1, Chopin
An astonishingly lovely performance, Lady Chen. This piece is lush and moving, and your love of it shines through in your performance.

23 MrPozor - Minuet in A minor - Z649, Henry Purcell
Nice!

24 Monica K. - Fairy Tale, Ludovico Einaudi
This piece is new to me, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I would swear your performance is perfect.

25 Cookie74 - Invention No. 4 in D minor, Bach
Congratulations, Cookie, on your first recording. It's well done. A nice performance of a tricky piece.

26 Mile Hi Steve - Leaning On The Everlasting Arms, Showalter
I remember singing the hymn quietly while watching the movie. I think I annoyed my wife a good deal by doing that. Nice job, Steve. This is great.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
My last ten I mean eleven. What a fantastic recital again!!!

51. Clemente - Andalucia This actually sounds like a very hard piece but you make it sound easy! The left hand runs throughout are very nicely done - clear without dominating. The rhythmic changes are performed with great control and I loved the playing in the higher octaves.

52. Norrec (Tim) - Beaming Sunlight This was beautifully played, you kept it moving forward and kept the interest up. Nice job.

53. notbach - To a Wild Rose (Op.51 No. 1) A beautiful piece (did you know his wife rescued this from the trash can and luckily saved it for posterity). I thought you did a nice job with it. Some of the chords could be a little lighter and the tempo is a little slower than often performed (however, I still think it works well at this tempo). There was some lovely touches - the last few measures were so wistful. Great job.

54. lyricmudra - Sheep May Safely Graze (from J.S. Bach's Birthday Cantata) I loved this performance - I have looked at this piece but concluded it needed a lot of work (as you found out). But I think you got it very nicely - it was a very balanced piece, beautifully shaped.

55. RedKat - Waltz, B minor, Op. 69 n. 2 Ah, something I've previously submitted. I think you did a fantastic job, nice changes of tempo and dynamics as needed. The chromatic runs were very nicely done. You kept the waltz feeling in the accompaniment. I think a slight change of mood in the trio perhaps? I'm glad you tackled the "hard" version of this though - it's fuller than the other version in my opinion!

56. Grouchomarx - Hungarian Rhapsody 2 Lassan (no Friska) I'm not sure I'm competent to comment on a piece like this wink. Just joy, pure joy. It's lovingly crafted, beautifully timed and played so masterfully. I loved the rhythmic shifts into the Hungarian dance feel. How many hands do you have?! wink

57. Tiago84 - Prelude in E minor (Op28 No4) Hmm, there's another performance on this recital of this, isn't there?! wink How can you possibly play like this after five months?! Your chords are beautiful, together (unlike mine). I think you could let the melody "breathe" a little more in spots, but mostly it's fabulous. I'm totally jealous!!

58. AndyMc - Riverlights #1 Very nice composition, played with great touch and delicacy. I liked the rhythmic interplay between the hands. Great job!

59. yohyrral (= Larry Hoy) - Three Themes for Piano These are some nice compositions. They move along like a mighty river, meandering sometimes, full and rich at others. I just let the sounds wash over me. Very nicely done.

60. BillM - Try A Little Tenderness You had me worried, I was almost at the end and thinking, "No Bill?!" As befitting the title, this is a very tender performance. I love the way your voice works with the harmonic shifts, just a subtle shading. Fantastic.

61. PianoStudent88 - Ivan Sings Last but not least! This is a wonderful way to round off the recital. You bring a very steady, but "urgent" performance to this piece which suits it very well. I think you have a very natural way of playing it and that works fabulously well.

Kawai K3
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
CarlosCC, jazzpt, Tiago84, LadyChen, Clemente, Tx-Dennis, BillM, jazzwee, BenPiano, Bobpickle, SwissMS, Starr Keys, SamS - thank you, all, for your very encouraging comments. I do hope to be able to be able practice again in the upcoming months, as playing is reserved for very short time periods. For me, taking lessons again will be a huge bonus. - Glen

More wonderful music!!

33. knotty - Petite Fleur This is some very fine playing, Knotty! The sax player has a refined style - really spot-on. The coronet player's got some chops. Your comp playing is so very clean and rhythmic. Your solo is simply fantastic. Too bad you are far away - I know folks planning a wedding and they need a combo like yours - you guys can play everything.

34. Andy Platt - Prelude in E Minor (Opus 28, No 4) I very much like the tempo and rubato throughout, Andy. It's clear you are listening to the music as you express it. I think Chopin did all he needed to do with this Prelude - the rest is up to the interpreter - you capture the moments and imagination of the listener. Sure looks simple to play, but very difficult to get the mood expressed - you do that so well. Bravo!

35. Newman - Desperado You've come a long way, Newman. Your voice is perfect for this and the accompaniment is just as it should be! I used to listen to this song over and over when it first came out. You brought back some fine memories for me. Thank you for you music.

36. Copper - Ave Maria I am such a fan of Burgmuller and you played this beautifully.

37. Jake S - Ah Vous Dirai-je Maman This is such a difficult and interesting set of variations. Mozart was a child genius and he had his father's help to capture all the variations. It is amazing you played them all.

38. Augustina - Touched This is a very pretty piece. Nice and slow and contemplative. Your playing has improved greatly and this tune exemplifies it so very well.

39. Sand Tiger - Ashokan Farewell I am very impressed at your abilities after five months of ever playing the piano. Ashokan Farewell is a beautiful piece of music and you play it beautifully.

40. Serge88 - What'd I say Sounds to me like you were having such great enjoyment playing this Ray Charles standard. I sure enjoyed it. Great job!

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Thanks to:SwissMS, CarlosCC, CMohr,Clemente,BillM,TX-Dennis,Jazzwee,Bobpickle & Sam S for listening and commenting on my piece,

16. Peyton - Mazurka #4 in A Minor
Lovely music Peyton, very sensitively played as usual I really enjoyed it, great control of the dynamics.

17. ladypayne - A New Change
What can I say, fantastic composition, playing and arrangement. You seem to have jumped to a whole new level. Wonderful pictures of your journey too. Congratulations.

18. Riddler (Ed) - Slaughter On Tenth Avenue
Now there's a title for you, fun story about Mrs Calabash too. Love the way it keeps changing feel, very dramatic piece and with that ending.........and very well played.

19. Greener / Jeff Green - Schindler's List - Theme
One of my favourites here, I have the sheet but can't play it anywhere near this, very nicely done.

20. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Rigaudon & Entree
You have obviousley put lots of work into these pieces , they are definitely under your fingers, very well done. The odd flub,who remembers them.

21. timmyab - Moment musical Nr.2
Very musical and accomplished playing, enjoyed it very much.

22. Lady Chen - Nocturne in E minor, op. 72, no. 1 (to do)
Marvelous, brooding and full of expression with great control of the dynamics.

23. MrPozor - Minuet in A minor - Z649
4 months self teaching , fantastic.

24. Monica K. - Fairy Tale
I think you get a lovely light touch on this, dreamy.

25. Cookie74 - Invention No. 4 in D minor
Very impressive, powerful playing.

26. Mile Hi Steve - Leaning on the Everlasting Arms
What a lovely piece,very restful and beautifully played.

27. Bobpickle - June (Barcarolle)
8 Months, didn't quiet believe that because I listened first then read.
Nice to hear some Tchaikovsky, lovely harmonies and melody and beautifully played.

28. joangolfing - The Poet Speaks
Accomplished performance, nicely paced with good control over the dynamics.

29. Mar_red - Rosemary's Baby - Lullaby
I liked it , I remember the film and the music, it definietly has a feeling of impending doom.

30. cscl - Bagatelle in G minor, Op. 119, No. 1
I hope your piano arrived safely. A very nice performance.

31. jotur/Cathy Turner - Dill Pickle Rag
Undoubtably jolly happy music and you play it with real joy. You've just inspired me to have ago at some ragtime.

32. TrapperJohn - Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again (from "Phantom...") I used to play this one and have a sing along, very tenderly played and dramatic at the end.

33. knotty - Petite Fleur
You know this sounds just like a Blue Note recording, like the band is right there in front of you, rarely do you hear such a life like sound. The octave unison head sounds
great and the solos are stylistically perfect. The piano solo switching between block and single lines is just right for the song. Great stuff.

Jazztpt

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member

46. MaryBee - Sonata in C minor, K.457, Mvt.1 This sounds wicked difficult-(well, it is Mozart smile ). You've made a really outstanding recording! Everything came through clear and concise, very Mozartian. I think your ornaments are wonderful, too. Six + minutes of Mozart joy - wonderful! Looking forward to the second movement.

45. daveindenton - Theme from Schindler's List Ah, the other half of the battle of the Schindlers. laugh This is another goosebumper for me. Pretty enthralling interpretation. I love the big crescendo in the middle. You, also, have captured the feeling behind the story. A little fuller arrangement than Greener's, but equally as compelling.

44. Ken. - Light Blue I think we're all happy you decided to submit - the recital would be lacking if not for your Monk tune. I love that last chord! I think the whole feel of this tune came out a little better in the second take. Very cool!

43. ClavBoy - Prelude No. 1 C Major BWV 846 Welcome, welcome to the recital! Wow, this is very well played. Nice legato and very good even flow to the whole piece. Great work! thumb

Think less - play more

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
C
Originally Posted by DadAgain
Comment by Dadagains Daughter:

25 Cookie74 - Bach Invention #4
Definately a good performance. You are right the recording really flattens out the dynamics. I had the same problem when I recorded it last year:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7-mlXar864
(I play it a bit slower than you too)

To DadAgain's Daughter:

Thank you so much. Since I recorded the piece, I've changed some settings on the Zoom H1 and gotten better results. You did an awesome job with it. Put me to shame. Keep practicing!!

" I wish you music to help with the burdens of life, and to help you release your happiness to others."

--Ludwig van Beethoven
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Excellent recital this time, with so many good performances. The video production skills are getting better too.

Thanks to everyone that commented so far on my Bach P&F. I've got another one in the works for some future recital (I know you can't wait!).

40. Serge88 - What'd I say I feel the beat - nice syncopation!

41. Starr Keys - It Goes Like It Goes That is so wonderful - the video, the playing, the singing! I love the way you began and ended with the photos on the piano and then showed a slideshow of them, ending with the photos on the piano again. Very well done!

42. CMohr - Imagination Love that old upright - and your playing!

43. ClavBoy - Prelude No. 1 C Major BWV 846 Of course we have all played this. Great job! Much better than I remember playing it. My thoughts on the pedaling - don't do it. I used to "finger" pedal it - hold the notes of each chord down as they are struck, then release them all when you start the next chord - try it and see if you like it.

44. Ken. - Light Blue That's certainly a unique piece. Love that last chord.

46. MaryBee - Sonata in C minor, K.457, Mvt.1 Mote-zart is hard! You did a great job with it - my tempo would be all over the place as I had to slow down for the faster notes in the left hand. I really have grown to hate those Alberti patterns in the bass. Loved it!

47. DadAgains_Daughter - Invention in F Major Gee, this brings back memories! All piano students have to play this at some point in their lives. You'll always remember it when you hear it, I can say from experience. Excellent job! Loved the ending!

48. DadAgain - Prelude and Fugue XX - A minor Very nice! I know how hard these are. Loved the mood of the prelude. You got off to a shaky tempo in the fugue but recovered nicely!

49. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Dance of the Blessed Spirits Excellent sight-reading! I'm so jealous...

53. notbach - To a Wild Rose (Op.51 No. 1) I love this piece. You played it very well with feeling.

54. lyricmudra - Sheep May Safely Graze (from J.S. Bach's Birthday Cantata) These transcriptions are not easy! You did a great job with it - wonderful touch and feel throughout.

55. RedKat - Waltz, B minor, Op. 69 n. 2 Beautiful! So well played...

56. Grouchomarx - Hungarian Rhapsody 2 Lassan (no Friska) Very impressive!

60. BillM - Try A Little Tenderness Bill, I missed you last recital - glad to see you back! One of these days, I swear, I will try to play and sing like you!

61. PianoStudent88 - Ivan Sings Very nicely done - this is not as easy at you make it sound!

That's all folks!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
05. Inlanding - Glen
piece: Robert Schumann : Warum Op 12 No 3
technical:
clipping: no
balance L/R: ok
noise: none
bass: ok
depth of field: little
piano sound: very nice

musical:
overall impression, like: Nice sound, nice touch, and there is a good flow to it.
However, I have a hard time following your interpretation. I have listened many (Lost the count.. 10?) times to the piece and checked the score to determine what's the problem. I'm still not sure about it, so please enlighten me if you feel I completely miss the point.
Let me put it bold to get it clear: IMHO Schumann is deliberately composing stuff that is bound to give interpretation problems.
For example, he repeats the phrase between 1:13 and 1:27 three times, and then another three times in the overall repeat. You play the repeats roughly the same but I think Schumann expects a different interpretation in the repeats. But it's not clear to me what he is expecting.
Another example, His rythms, with the long dragging syncopated repeats and hanging melodies, are inviting to be played with tempo changes like you do. However if you do that the melody and phrasing gets obscured. Should one play the melody louder to compensate?
Third example. You play it slow and heavy, like a drama. And at first sight rightfully so, since it says "langsam und zart". But this is a Phantasie piece. Would it be possible to play it lighter? Maybe, getting a bit more speed and a bit less pedal? There seems pretty much space for freedom of pedaling?
Phrasing: plain simple and clear once you know the melody. But the rythm and rubato makes it very hard to follow.
rubato, speed changes: yes, both a lot of rubato and speed changes, independent in left and right hand. Too much IMHO.
Dynamics: plenty of dynamics. But interestingly the sound stays very similar regardless if you play loud or soft, giving it also a pretty even texture.
articulation: mostly pedal

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
C
C
Originally Posted by Sam S

43. ClavBoy - Prelude No. 1 C Major BWV 846 Of course we have all played this. Great job! Much better than I remember playing it. My thoughts on the pedaling - don't do it. I used to "finger" pedal it - hold the notes of each chord down as they are struck, then release them all when you start the next chord - try it and see if you like it.

That's exactly the way I played it, I didn't use the pedal.

Roland FP-7F

Working on:
Schumann: From Foreign Lands and Countries, op. 15; Burgmüller op. 100, Arabesque; Tchaikovsky op. 39 no. 15, Italian Song

Dreaming of:
Some Scott Joplin pieces i.e. Bethena. Still years to go for that...
Satie: Gnossienne No. 1. Maybe a bit earlier

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
46. MaryBee
piece: - Sonata in C minor, K.457, Mvt.1
technical:
clipping: no
balance L/R: ok
noise: little
bass: fair
depth of field: small
piano sound: bit nasal

musical:
overall impression, like: nice playing, convincing interpretation! The only part that did not really work for me is close at the end, from 5:50 where I hear some soft echos in the treble against a strong bass.
Phrasing: clear.
rubato, speed changes:mostly steady, a few appropriate ritardandos. A little stuggle with the LH around 2:39. Few tempo fluctuations at the end (last half minute).
Dynamics: good
articulation: good use of staccato and legato.

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Oh my, so many kind words, thank you so much everybody! I 'm afraid you will have to bear with me at the next recital too laugh

There is no way I can judge the skills of other participants so I will just mention the pieces that struck me as particularly beautiful in the first half of the recital - will listen to the second half tomorrow.

05. Inlanding - Glen - Warum? Op 12 No 3
Loved it - I didn't know Schumann could feel so modern.

07. SwissMS - Nocturne in Eb Op. 9 Nr. 2
Wonderful piece and I loved your interpretation!

08. CarlosCC - Ambers
Enchanting melody, thank you for sharing!

14. Amaruk - Sur le fil
Beautiful, atmospheric, thank you for introducing me to Tiersen.

17. ladypayne - A New Change
Wow this is so powerful! I really enjoyed this one. Best of luck with your new change.

22. Lady Chen - Nocturne in E minor, op. 72, no. 1
Just superb. You sounded like a professional concert pianist to me.

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
21. timmyab - Moment musical Nr.2 Your playing is so clean and exact in feeling. Despite your comments on all the little stuff - the whole piece comes across at a very professional level. I can imagine you solo on stage playing a big concert grand - it's the feeling that comes to me whenever I hear your recordings. Glorious!

22. Lady Chen - Nocturne in E minor, op. 72, no. 1 First of all, perfectly sensational playing! I agree with you that there's so much Chopin that benefits from a person's life experience - the music speaks to us on a different level. All this is very evident in your alluring interpretation. Wonderful dynamics, too. Your performance sent chills through me.

23. MrPozor - Minuet in A minor - Z649 Congrats on your first ABF recital! Playing this so well with nice tempo is just great, especially for only 4 months self teaching! Imagine where you will be and what you will be able to play in another 4 months. thumb

24. Monica K. - Fairy Tale Oh, this is a captivating piece! Played with charm and delicacy befitting a fairy tale. I think the balance between hands sounded perfect - so all your hard work on keeping those arpeggios soft paid off big time. One of my favorites from you. Softly spellbinding.

Think less - play more

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

31. jotur/Cathy Turner - Dill Pickle Rag Ragtime and stride piano – I don’t know how one does this! I tried once and that was plenty. You really kept it going and it sounded great.

29. Mar_red - Rosemary's Baby - Lullaby Wow. You exhibited wonderful technique and dexterity on this song. The pacing was completely locked in throughout. Bravo.

26. Mile Hi Steve - Leaning on the Everlasting Arms I love those big lush major chords (6?,maj7? Maj9? 69?) in this arrangement. There is something very uplifting about the sound. Nice job!

24. Monica K. - Fairy Tale This piece was beautiful. If you were making mistakes they certainly went by the uninformed listener. I like how the ending doesn’t resolve to the tonic like your ear expects it to.

11. Jazztpt - Lament Thanks for the lead sheet on Lament. I already have a killer arrangement done on this. It will be a completely unexpected direction but I hope in keeping with the sentiment of the piece. I'm not sure I'll have time to record all of it before I go on vacation but it is burning a hole in my britches.

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Andy, thanks for your feedback. Good to hear feedback on the musical ideas, phrasing and progress, it sometimes is hard to hear the progress yourself when you're working for months on a piece.

>Perhaps a teeny slower tempo so that some of the faster runs wouldn't end up too rushed?

Yeah, I recorded more accurate slower versions, but the faster one spoke so much more to me.

CMohr
Your playing of this piece is definitely evocative of hens.
good to hear! I searched chicken sounds on the web but you most get nonsense. Also good to hear that the dynamics work for others too.

AndyMc Yes I had some troubles picking the right tempo and I could not play it at the picked tempo either, so I'm glad that the current tempo works.

CarlosCC and jazztpt, thanks for the positive feedback on my progress!

LadyChen good to hear that you like the articulations and dynamics.

60. BillM - Try A Little Tenderness All the kudos in the world for singing. I think it takes a lot more bravery than just playing. This was a really nice version of the song. I would love to hear you cut back on the reverb/pedal and be more right up front with both the vocal and the piano. Check out the kind of mix that Jamie Cullum does on “I Think, I Love”. It is so much more intimate for just these types of songs that you do. You’ve got the perfect piano stylings to pull it off too. Great job!

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission