2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1932975 07/27/12 04:05 AM
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Yesterday, I had a chance to practice the piano a bit, and this one seemed to be flowing from my fingers pretty well. So, I got out my little digital recorder, and played it through a few times. The best "take" had two major flaws--a LH flubadub in m.26, and then a piano bench bump in m.36. Still, I dressed it up with some reverb and ran it through an assessment of sorts. The flaws really bugged me. So, I edited them out by splicing better measures from other takes. But then, I also liked the opening section of a different take better, too, so I spliced it on, instead. One thing led to another, and I think I ended up with most of "take 2 with 3 edits" instead of most of "take 5 with 2 edits." Then, since I was in that far, I thought, "What the hey," and tried some other EQ and noise reduction treatments while I was at it, to see what I could learn. As far as the overall difference in the two versions, in my opinion, the edited version is more "restrained" in character, while the un-edited version is played with a little more passion and verve.

The piano is no longer in the best of tune. But if you are interested in listening, here it is. I do not consider this a "finished piece," so have at it, if you like. grin

Bach--WTC I, Prelude 24, edited version

Bach--WTC I, Prelude 24, un-edited version with flub and bump

1940 Lester spinet recorded with a Tascam DP-004 using the built-in mics. Edited in Cu-Base.

--Andy

(P.S. Overall, I like the un-edited version better wink )

Last edited by Cinnamonbear; 07/27/12 04:25 AM.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
I prefer the flub and bump version, for sure, Andy. You bring out the voices so very nicely. Your dynamic sense and sense of time is wonderful for this prelude. Very much appreciated.

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Andy, it's fascinating to me that Bach's WTC can be played at different speeds and articulations and be musically satisfying on its own terms. My own approach to Prelude 24 is to emphasize the "walking bass" aspect of the piece, letting the melodic line and harmonic progressions develop "along with the ride", so to speak. I like doing it that way because it provides an amiable "earthbound" contrast to the very mystical, intense Fugue, which I play VERY slowly, and always legato. In that context, your approach to the Prelude is very different -- you emphasize the singing line, the shape, the voicing, which gives it a yearning quality that I hadn't previously "heard".
Would love to hear your "take" on that massive, strange Fugue! Thanks for sharing this!

I enjoyed your rendition of this prelude very much - especially because of the way you follow the musical lines and connect each tone into the one that follows. Have you considered using different articulations for this piece? At the moment, everything is quite legato - articulating some of the motives might add more interest.

Very lovely! Thanks for sharing.

Lizzy
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Lovely voice leading and musical lines -- thanks so much for sharing. I also prefer the unedited version -- sometimes the editing takes out the "fire" of the music.

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Tim! Thanks for listening! It took me about two years to get this prelude to this point. It will probably take me four to get anywhere with the fugue. If you want to wait that long and if PW is still here, I'll post it! grin

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Alright, Gould, try and take every most minimal, barely perceivable imperfection out if you like :P Just...I prefer the unedited version too...um...very good job on both accounts though; I love your tone.
Xxx

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Lizzy! Where on earth have you been?!? Yes, I played around with different articulations A LOT when I was working on this one. And tempos. And dynamics. What finally got me settled here was the melty dissonances in the RH voices. But, as this is Bach, and as Tim says, there are a lot of different things you can do with Bach, I'm sure my playing of this piece will change some more over time. Do you have something specific in mind that you think I should do with a certain touch here or there? Thanks for listening!

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Lady Chen! I agree that editing doesn't always get you where you want to go. I foxed myself out by using a take for the edited version that was a little more consistent tempo wise, but not nearly as interesting dynamically, or heart-felt overall. Thanks for listening!

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
FSO! LOL! I know. I know. It's like eating potato chips, though. You can't eat just one. And once you do your first edit, it's hard to stop!!! blush Thanks for listening!

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Inlanding! Flub and bump it is, then! (Inlanding was one of my behind the scenes assessors of the un-edited version. Then, I went and did an edited version, and posted them both out here.) So, thanks for listening to this again, my friend!

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear
Lizzy! Where on earth have you been?!? Yes, I played around with different articulations A LOT when I was working on this one. And tempos. And dynamics. What finally got me settled here was the melty dissonances in the RH voices. But, as this is Bach, and as Tim says, there are a lot of different things you can do with Bach, I'm sure my playing of this piece will change some more over time. Do you have something specific in mind that you think I should do with a certain touch here or there? Thanks for listening!

--Andy

Hello Cinnamonbear,

I'm afraid I don't have anything specific in mind in regards to articulation, but you might want to ask yourself these questions if you do decide to to change your articulation choices:

1) How are the voices different from each other in terms of note values, movement (disjunct vs. conjunct), ornamentation, suspensions, etc?
2) What will be most effective at making the voices sound distinct from each other?
3) Which articulation choices make sense for a piece from the Baroque era?

Have fun!

I guess I have been away from PianoWorld for a while.... I'm a busy student. smile

Lizzy
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Thank you, Lizzy! I like the idea of looking for "disjunct" and "conjunct." I understand what you mean, I get it, and I will consider it!

Glad to hear from you!

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear
Tim! Thanks for listening! It took me about two years to get this prelude to this point. It will probably take me four to get anywhere with the fugue. If you want to wait that long and if PW is still here, I'll post it! grin

I look forward to that time - in the meantime, I'll find solace in enjoying your prelude smile

P
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
I prefer the flub and bump version also. This prelude is captivating and beautifully played.

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Thank you for your comments, Bobpickle and Pianogrl! Bob, I have recently been working on WTC I, Fugue 22. Hopefully, when it is ready in about a year or two, it will tide you over until Fugue 24. grin

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission