Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1944391 - 08/17/12 10:12 AM Piano tuned sharp
RyanS Offline

After my full D-C was installed for three weeks my tech came out. He said the piano was sharp just tuned it to A=442. He said it would be closer to 440 this winter. The room humidity stays at around 60%. (I'm in apartment where air for the entire building is circulated so it's hard to control humidity in my apartment.)

Is it normal to tune things a little off 440? I thought the D-C was supposed to keep it at 440 year round.

Edited by RyanS (08/17/12 10:14 AM)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1944404 - 08/17/12 10:34 AM Re: Piano tuned sharp [Re: RyanS]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
It won't hurt it any...
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1944447 - 08/17/12 11:52 AM Re: Piano tuned sharp [Re: RyanS]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
RyanS,

The D-C system won't change the pitch, it will just help to hold whatever pitch the piano has been tuned to and keep it in tune with itself. We tend to think of A=440Hz as some sort of great and cosmic "A." It isn't. Accepted pitch is tending to creep upwards in the musical community. Many, if not most, of the great orchestras are now tuning to A-442. The finest wind and brass instrument builders are tuning instruments to the higher pitch and you have to specify otherwise if you want A-440.

It only becomes a problem if you are playing with an absolute and generated fixed pitch instrument such as an electronic organ or keyboard. The 438-443Hz range would be considered to be an "A." Your piano is just being a piano acting like all pianos.

Trust your tuner, relax, and enjoy your new piano.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#1944470 - 08/17/12 12:46 PM Re: Piano tuned sharp [Re: RyanS]
Thrill Science Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
I didn't see what type of piano it was, but some European makes actually tune them to pitches higher than 440 in the factory. 440 is really an American standard.

For example, Bösendorfer says that they're tuned to 443:

Quote:

The pianos are manufactured in the factory at a tuning pitch of A443 Hertz, however it may be altered between A440 Hertz and A445 Hertz according to need.

Mine's at 442 right now, and I'm not worrying about it.

Edited by Thrill Science (08/17/12 12:46 PM)

#1944487 - 08/17/12 01:20 PM Re: Piano tuned sharp [Re: RyanS]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
Exactly. If it's tuned to 443 now, by January, it'll be down roughly (at least in Michigan) to 440 or even 438 or lower depending on what the temp and RH are. It's called floating the pitch. The tuning will also hold better when the pitch isn't moved all over the place too. Another plus.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1944619 - 08/17/12 05:11 PM Re: Piano tuned sharp [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
allthumbs Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Now I am curious, is there a reason why a piano would be tuned to a higher pitch than the standard A440? Is there an advantage to to having a piano tuned otherwise? Better sustain, clarity of sound, volume, all/none of the above?

Single Malts Forever!

#1944624 - 08/17/12 05:18 PM Re: Piano tuned sharp [Re: allthumbs]

On a piano, probably not, or very little. It really has an effect on orchestral string instruments. It adds a bit more "shimmer" and "brilliance." The orchestras are going up and the pianos are following along.

As Jerry said, it won't hurt a piano at all. It is well within the standard seasonal pitch swing.

#1944685 - 08/17/12 07:04 PM Re: Piano tuned sharp [Re: RyanS]
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Mine is tuned to 442-443.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1944730 - 08/17/12 08:53 PM Re: Piano tuned sharp [Re: RyanS]
88Key_PianoPlayer Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: El Cajon, CA
I must be in the small minority, but I actually would prefer a pitch lower than 440 if it's not 440. Something like C-256 (Middle C), which would make A4 around 430 or 432 or so, might be something I would like. A435 might be ok, too, as well as (of course) A440, but I really don't like it any higher, except when the pitch creeps up due to humidity swings, or when chip-tuning a newly strung piano. For me, if a piano is tuned to, say, A445, the A sounds almost like an A# to me. On the other hand, A420 or A425 would still sound like an A to my ear.
When I've listened to pianos at a higher pitch, it seems they lose a little bit of the sparkle that the upper harmonics have compared to being tuned at a lower pitch. I suspect that this could, in part, be due to my hearing cutting off at a certain range (around 15 or 16 kHz last I checked unprofessionally a few years ago), and tuning higher puts some of that sparkle out of my range. (I also happen to like the way a lot of 1950s Baldwin Hamiltons sound.)
I usually tune both my 1950s Baldwin Hamiltons to A440, btw.
1950 (#144211) Baldwin Hamilton
1956 (#167714) Baldwin Hamilton
You can right-click my avatar for an option to view a larger version.

#1944792 - 08/18/12 12:11 AM Re: Piano tuned sharp [Re: 88Key_PianoPlayer]

You are right, you are in a very small minority. Usually lowered tuning is only used with period instruments.

#1944804 - 08/18/12 12:33 AM Re: Piano tuned sharp [Re: RyanS]
thetandyman Offline

Loc: Indiana
I have to keep mine at 440 because I have an electronic organ. I have spent more money on cooling this Summer than I ever have, And I can't wait for the gas bills this Winter. As I have mentioned before, I used to keep it at 65 Winter, 78 Summer. Ever wonder why I am divorced? (I used to use an automated thermostat, so no matter where the wife and kids changed it, shortly it would go back to my settings, hehehe!)

#1944927 - 08/18/12 08:21 AM Re: Piano tuned sharp [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Piano*Dad Offline

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
You are right, you are in a very small minority. Usually lowered tuning is only used with period instruments.

Indeed. My son's new baroque flute is A=415. That makes playing duets on an A=443 piano rather .... interesting. grin

Actually, duets aren't happening unless and until a harpsichord makes its appearance in the house, which isn't too likely.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1944953 - 08/18/12 09:23 AM Re: Piano tuned sharp [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Steve Cohen Offline

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
Accepted pitch is tending to creep upwards in the musical community. Many, if not most, of the great orchestras are now tuning to A-442. The finest wind and brass instrument builders are tuning instruments to the higher pitch and you have to specify otherwise if you want A-440.

I was unaware of this, and it leads me to a question.

I thought that oboes were fixed pitch instruments, set at 440 here in the U.S. If that is so, and since they are a part of all orchestras, how do they handle that?

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#1945010 - 08/18/12 11:32 AM Re: Piano tuned sharp [Re: RyanS]
KurtZ Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Heart of Screenland
I won't say this is absolutely true for oboes but most woodwinds can be pulled sharp through increased air speed/pressure. I'm sure you're aware that 2 cents is 2 100ths of a half step. In amateur orchestras, the conductors are ecstatic if any section, string or wind, is within 2 cents of each other.

happy weekend,

Kurt

#1945100 - 08/18/12 02:44 PM Re: Piano tuned sharp [Re: RyanS]

Steve,

Oboes now are most commonly produced using their scale design based on A-442. About 10 years ago I purchased a new Powell flute as I was tired of "lipping up" on the instrument I was then playing.

Fixed pitch on a woodwind or brasswind is a 'concept' at best. It really doesn't exist in the reality of playing the instrument as each pitch is constantly, and instantaneously, adjusted to, and amongst, the other players. It is very fluid in practice.

Equal Temperament is also rare with instrumentalists or vocalists. It is a limitation of the truly fixed pitch instruments. Take a piano concerto performance as example. Tutti with the piano, the orchestra will match the intonation of the piano. When playing piano tacit, the orchestra will immediately hear just intervals and the temperment immediately shifts to key based tonality. A listening audience will not even be aware of it as it is so slight, but manifests itself in the perception of key 'color.'

#1945106 - 08/18/12 03:08 PM Re: Piano tuned sharp [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Steve Cohen Offline

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
Steve,

Oboes now are most commonly produced using their scale design based on A-442. About 10 years ago I purchased a new Powell flute as I was tired of "lipping up" on the instrument I was then playing.

Fixed pitch on a woodwind or brasswind is a 'concept' at best. It really doesn't exist in the reality of playing the instrument as each pitch is constantly, and instantaneously, adjusted to, and amongst, the other players. It is very fluid in practice.

Equal Temperament is also rare with instrumentalists or vocalists. It is a limitation of the truly fixed pitch instruments. Take a piano concerto performance as example. Tutti with the piano, the orchestra will match the intonation of the piano. When playing piano tacit, the orchestra will immediately hear just intervals and the temperment immediately shifts to key based tonality. A listening audience will not even be aware of it as it is so slight, but manifests itself in the perception of key 'color.'

Verrry interesting! Thanks for the explanation.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#1945251 - 08/18/12 11:35 PM Re: Piano tuned sharp [Re: RyanS]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
When we asked Sawallisch where he wanted us to tune the pianos, he said, "They don't have to be right on A440, just don't be flat." I haven't had a complaint since.

#1945871 - 08/20/12 12:00 AM Re: Piano tuned sharp [Re: 88Key_PianoPlayer]
cyclotron Offline

By the way, C-256 is the physics (as opposed to music) standard tuning. Being a power of 2 makes the math easier when explaining the Pythagorean comma, the difference between twelve just perfect fifths and seven octaves.

#1945879 - 08/20/12 12:12 AM Re: Piano tuned sharp [Re: RyanS]

Tuning in music has nothing to do with the standards of physics as a discipline. ET is not important to musicians, but, it is a hot topic to tuners. (Bloody battles) But, it was the AFM which first pushed for some sort of standard to derivate from.

BTW - Only unisons, fourths, and fifths are perfect. All others are just intervals. The usage of "just" does not mean "merely" in this context. It is used as a musical term only.

#1945904 - 08/20/12 01:46 AM Re: Piano tuned sharp [Re: Minnesota Marty]
cyclotron Offline

I'm afraid I threw Marty a bum steer. Substitute standard Pitch for tuning. The standard medical (and sometimes physics) standard pitch is C=256. Want tuning forks?

Tuning Forks

By the way, the first official standard pitch was made law in France in 1859 at A=435. In 1896 London's Royal Philharmonic Society got to A=439 by what is thought to be a fudge. They assumed (incorrectly) that the French had measured their oboe at 59°F and so corrected for (British) room temperature of 68°F and got A=439.

In 1939, encouraged by international broadcasters, a London conference settled on A=440. The BBC noted that 339 is prime and would be hard to derive from a standard crystal, but 440 could be done.

A brief history of the establishment of international standard pitch a=440 hertz

See... Physics IS involved. wink

#1946091 - 08/20/12 12:08 PM Re: Piano tuned sharp [Re: cyclotron]

Of course physics is involved, as an academic discipline in acoustical engineering. I don't dispute that. However, the legally standardized version only applies to a musician as a starting point of commonality, rather than as an absolute.

Also, the use of "C" as the starting point is irrevelant. Some piano tuners prefer to use "A" as the reference point and others use "C." Orchestras use "A," while bands and wind ensembles use Bb."

The issue that I have with the article you cite is that it attempts to codify historical knowlede into modern Hz. terminology. This is impossible and is only conjecture. We have no way of knowing the exact frequency perceived by Mozart or Handel as to how they heard a "C." We only know that they identified a given "note" to be different from each other's perception.

The reference to vocalists is a good one, however. As singer would certainly know their own vocal range, and when the limits of their personal range of notes changed from any given keyboard to another, as to "names" of notes, the inconsistencies of "pitch" were revealed.

#1946125 - 08/20/12 12:47 PM Re: Piano tuned sharp [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, England
The issue that I have with the article you cite is that it attempts to codify historical knowlede into modern Hz. terminology. This is impossible and is only conjecture. We have no way of knowing the exact frequency perceived by Mozart or Handel as to how they heard a "C." We only know that they identified a given "note" to be different from each other's perception.

Handel's tuning fork (422.5 Hz) dating from 1751 is in the Foundling Museum in London.

#1946135 - 08/20/12 12:56 PM Re: Piano tuned sharp [Re: Withindale]

Ian,

Now that is interesting! Is it identified as to which note it is reference to?

#1946163 - 08/20/12 01:42 PM Re: Piano tuned sharp [Re: RyanS]
Pianolance Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Nashville, TN
I was playing in a church one time and we had some musical guests with us that morning. They had brought in a really fantastic sound system and they had a keyboard player that had his own rig. Rather than setting up my own rig I just made arrangements with the other keyboard player to use his rig, since it was already set up. The rest of the worship band used their own instruments except the drummer, who also used the guest band's drumset. All during the morning music I kept thinking how off everything sounded, after worship with our band was over I started checking the keyboard players rig and found his keyboard tuned to A-432. I was very disconcerting to me, but I think most people didn't notice.

#1946264 - 08/20/12 04:09 PM Re: Piano tuned sharp [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, England
Originally Posted By: Withindale
Handel's tuning fork (422.5 Hz) dating from 1751 is in the Foundling Museum in London.
Now that is interesting! Is it identified as to which note it is reference to?

Marty

The cognoscenti say it's A in this table, and who are we to argue?

#1946371 - 08/20/12 07:10 PM Re: Piano tuned sharp [Re: RyanS]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
I've always wondered what method was used to measure pitch in the 1500 and 1600 hundreds? Tuning forks don't move much but they do need to be checked and adjusted periodically. Not to mention they change pitch with temperature, or drop one on a hard surface and it can take days before it's re-tuned.

I find it impossible to believe that a 400 year old tuning fork will still give the pitch it did when it was new.

Edited by Dave B (08/20/12 07:11 PM)

#1946390 - 08/20/12 07:48 PM Re: Piano tuned sharp [Re: RyanS]

Or, Dave B, a 400 year old organ!

There is no doubt that the pitch of any given named note has been on the rise for a long, long time.

And, its on the rise again. This time, it is easier to document what that actually means through accurate measurement.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
154 registered (accordeur, Abby Pianoman, 36251, 44 invisible), 1613 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157238 Topics
2309430 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New to Piano World, Seeking Advice on a Spinet Regulation
by HelloMrZebra
2 minutes 58 seconds ago
Quote not working properly
by Hakki
Today at 12:39 PM
DEBUSSY: ONDINE from Preludes Bk. II
by Hal Freedman
Today at 12:33 PM
Newbie - Equipment Help
by CuddlyDuddly
Today at 11:52 AM
Newbie - Equipment Help
by CuddlyDuddly
Today at 11:00 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission