Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
149 registered (36251, anamnesis, accordeur, Anita Potter, 45 invisible), 1720 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1137184 - 07/08/08 12:53 PM Willie Myette
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
I was just wondering if anyone's familiar with Willie Myette's lessons? I'm just starting to look at all the free DVDs at his web site now, and it looks very interesting.. He seems like a great on-line teacher for a variety of styles. \:\)

Willie Myette:

http://www.jazzpianolessons.com/learn-jazz-piano/home.php
http://www.jazzpianolessons.com/member/my_videos.php

Basics of Improv:
http://www.jazzpianolessons.com/member/my_videos.php?dvd=DVD201

"Somewhere Over the Rainbow" http://www.jazzpianolessons.com/member/my_videos.php?id=180&dvd=dvd401

http://www.jazzpianolessons.com/member/my_dvds.php

Piano & Music Accessories
#1137185 - 07/10/08 04:17 AM Re: Willie Myette
snake Offline

Loc: uk
spotted his site recently and it does look good,although I am working on Sudnow lessons so maybe shouldnt mix it right now but definately bookmarked

#1137186 - 07/10/08 08:05 AM Re: Willie Myette
Glimmer Offline

Loc: Duendin, New Zealand
I have bought a couple of dvd sets from him this past year and am very happy with his approach. I'm a beginner and find his style very personal & friendly. Sometimes he will slip in some useful advice & tips during his lesson which I appreciate

I have bought other excellent piano instruction dvds from other sources eg; Homespun, Hear and Play but still find myself coming back to Willie's DVDs more often. I prefer DVDs to online access because of my dodgy internet connection.

He does go through a lot of stuff on some sets and expects you to come back for a second or third look just to catch something you missed or refresh your memory. Compared to what I was paying for in lessons with a local tutor, I'm getting my money's worth. The sets I've got so far are the Gospel/Jazz exercises, Jazz Chords, Blues N'Boogie and I've just ordered the Basics of Improv.

Now some will say "you can't really teach improvisation" but based upon the style of his teaching on other dvds I am very keen to hear his take on the subject.

Hope that helps

#1137187 - 07/13/08 06:35 PM Re: Willie Myette
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the feedback, Glimmer. I was really impressed watching his free DVDs on line last week, but now when I try to watch the same ones that I watched for free before, it gives me this message:

"This movie not available for Free Basic Members"

I especially wanted to go over the Basics of Improv, because that's what I'm working on with my jazz teacher. I wonder why all of a sudden it says you need to be a paying member to view these DVDs? \:\(

Basics of Improv:

#1137188 - 07/23/08 11:36 PM Re: Willie Myette
Joejazzy Offline

Loc: Atlanta
Sorry to say this, but Willie Myette is probably the best online nowadays. I have bought lessons from hearandplay and from several other places, but none can be compared with what Willie Offers. Hear and Play, for example, cares mostly about your money; their products lack substance. But Willie gives you all the meats and bones in his DVDs. Also, Willie knows his stuff well and knows how to pass it on too. Great teacher......

#1137189 - 07/27/08 12:31 AM Re: Willie Myette
Glimmer Offline

Loc: Duendin, New Zealand
I just got "Basics of Improv" set recently and already I've learnt some basic ryhthm concepts to apply to 5 note scales while I'm warmimg up my fingers. The first DVD is barely 15 minutes in and I'm already learning some great stuff. Now my warm-up routine sounds more musical than just scales

Elssa, I highly recommend this set if you are still undecided.

His only requirements for this particular set is that you have rudimentary music reading skills and recognise the keys on the keyboard eg; C#/Db. So its not for complete novices to the piano but beginner-intermediate players should be fine

#1227215 - 07/04/09 11:34 PM Re: Willie Myette [Re: Elssa]
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Elssa
I was just wondering if anyone's familiar with Willie Myette's lessons? I'm just starting to look at all the free DVDs at his web site now, and it looks very interesting.. He seems like a great on-line teacher for a variety of styles. smile

Willie Myette:

http://www.jazzpianolessons.com/learn-jazz-piano/home.php
http://www.jazzpianolessons.com/member/my_videos.php

Basics of Improv:
http://www.jazzpianolessons.com/member

/my_videos.php?dvd=DVD201

He's a really good teacher

"Somewhere Over the Rainbow" http://www.jazzpianolessons.com/member/my_videos.php?id=180&dvd=dvd401

http://www.jazzpianolessons.com/member/my_dvds.php

He's a really good teacher and you can't beat about $30 per month for unlimited lessons. There's a huge library of lessons. I first found him several years ago and signed on for about 3 months. Now I'm back and with my classical training under my belt I'm learning very fast. I highly recommend him.

#1227216 - 07/04/09 11:35 PM Re: Willie Myette [Re: Elssa]
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Elssa
Thanks for the feedback, Glimmer. I was really impressed watching his free DVDs on line last week, but now when I try to watch the same ones that I watched for free before, it gives me this message:

"This movie not available for Free Basic Members"

I especially wanted to go over the Basics of Improv, because that's what I'm working on with my jazz teacher. I wonder why all of a sudden it says you need to be a paying member to view these DVDs? frown

Basics of Improv:

This is a really old message, but I'll answer anyway. You get a FREE 3 day membership, then you switch over to a paid membership. During the free membership, you get access to all the videos online, but not to the PDF or midi files.

If you're still around, go for it!

#1227441 - 07/05/09 05:20 PM Re: Willie Myette [Re: Nikalette]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
He is a really outstanding teacher, IMHO.

Ed

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

#1227683 - 07/06/09 10:38 AM Re: Willie Myette [Re: Riddler]
dannac Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
I subscribed for 3 or 4 months to his "gospel lessons" at only $10 a month.

Best bang for buck of any piano instruction I've looked at.

#1227871 - 07/06/09 07:32 PM Re: Willie Myette [Re: dannac]
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dannac
I subscribed for 3 or 4 months to his "gospel lessons" at only $10 a month.

Best bang for buck of any piano instruction I've looked at.

I subscribed to that for a few months also, but it doesn't have quite enough content for me to keep going... They are going to be running some kind of sale starting this week, so I'll be taking the jazz/blues subscription or else the gold subscription which includes funk.

#1228686 - 07/08/09 06:47 PM Re: Willie Myette [Re: Nikalette]
DeepElem Offline

Loc: USA
I also like Willie a lot. I have a few DVD's from him (My Funny Valentine, Danny Boy, When I Fall In Love) and I like them all.

As mentioned above, the reason you can't view the DVD's any more is that the initial free membership is only for 3 days.

He also does a weekly online radio show and you can send him questions via email or instant online chat and he answers them right away during the show. On the radio show he was doing some give aways where the first person to answer a question got a 1 month free membership. I won one of those and in that month I got a good chance to view many of the videos he has on the jazzpianolessons.com site and I found them all really good. Once I get in a little better financial shape I would like to get a "gold membership" which allows you access to all the dvd's online on all of his sites (jazz, gospel, blues, funk) and you can download 1 chapter per day.

In some of his earlier songs on a song he didn't play the melody because of copyright issues but in the later videos he is playing melody also which I like much better as I'm interested mostly in solo piano.

#1935141 - 07/31/12 05:44 AM Re: Willie Myette [Re: Elssa]
indianboy Offline

Hello Glimmer,
I noticed that you already have his course "Basics of Improvisation" ..the 2 dvd course..I had some questions about it.
What I do presently is,is sing the melody of a song and while singing, I accompany myself on the piano in the following way:

1)In the left hand,I play block chords or generate a rhythm in the left hand by breaking(arpeggiating) breaking the chord

2)In the right hand ,I either play random notes from the scale or I just play random chord notes from the chord I am playing in the left hand.

I basically want to sound much nicer when I am accompanying myself on the piano..something similar to Elton John.I hate Jazz and Blues and do not want to make my playing sound Jazzy and Bluesy at all.

How much of this ,roughly 2 hr 50 minutes course focusses on improvisation from a Jazz perspective and how much focusses on improvisation from a Rock perspective.I want to make my piano playing sound like,Elton John and I do not like Jazz/Blues sound at all.

Also,I have seen all his videos from the free "Learn Piano Improvisation" series on youtube.Following is the list of videos:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8FBEE513358FE251&feature=plcp

How many hours of this course (out of the total of 2 hrs 50 minutes) do not deal with Bluesy and Jazzy sound and does not overlap with the free "Learn Piano Improvisation" course.How helpful will it be in helping me achieve my goal to play piano like Elton John ..Pls do reply today itself,if you have the time.Thanks
Hemant

#1935365 - 07/31/12 02:20 PM Re: Willie Myette [Re: Elssa]
indianboy Offline

Hi..Can anyone advice me if Wiliie Myette's Basics of Improvisation course is the right course for me?Please read my post right above this one to know what I am looking for.Thanks laugh

#1941695 - 08/12/12 11:11 PM Re: Willie Myette [Re: Elssa]
dissyfingers Offline

Loc: Australia
Hi I purchased a years worth of gold lessons last year...Have downloaded all the lessons which interested me..including blues..jazz.. Latin ...standards.....best $400 dollars worth of teaching you will ever purchase..I brought a portable hard drive to save all these video lessons which there would be a couple of hundred of them..I will never be able to use all of them but they are a great referance..Theres not a better teacher ..his lay back style and he even makes mistakes and laughs about it...definatly the best value video piano lessons available..he has a lot of little tricks up his sleeve and has made my piano playing jump a notch or two...mainly with blues....Even people who cant read music will benefit with his lessons as it displays a midi keyboard above the piano to show the notes he plays....Doug

#1941728 - 08/13/12 01:02 AM Re: Willie Myette [Re: indianboy]
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member

IMHo Willie's lessons are the best. You can now sign up for $15 per month for 75 views per month of any of his many lessons.

#1945267 - 08/19/12 12:41 AM Re: Willie Myette [Re: Nikalette]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I think he's great for jazz. He doesn't teach cocktail style runs & fills (I was told) but apparently everything else.

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
Today at 03:41 PM
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
Today at 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
Today at 01:15 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
Today at 01:05 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
Today at 01:05 PM
Forum Stats
77388 Members
42 Forums
160044 Topics
2350244 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission