2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,155 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
More random reviews...

32 TrapperJohn "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again (from "Phantom...")
Wow, one of my favorite pieces of all times!!! I absolutely love your performance here John. This song is so emotional and you bring every inch of that out. You handle the dynamics great and it was a true pleasure listening to you play it. Thanks for sharing!!

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
One more random review...

05 Inlanding - Glen Warum? - Schumann
Great playing Glen! I like how softly you play this. I never heard this piece before but it sounds like a lot of fun to play. Your dad's piano sounds great and for you to play this very piece on his piano is great!! Thanks for sharing this peformance and the story around it!!

Last edited by Amaruk; 08/18/12 11:59 AM.

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Thank you so very much, Clemente, Tx-Dennis, BillM, Strings&Wood, Jazzwee, BenPiano, BobPickle, SwissMs, StarrKeys, SamS, Wouter, sinophilia, Monica K, Cookie74 and Amaruk. I want to address each comment individually, but it would take too much discussion-room bandwidth (for the hands, too). I am humbled and thankful for such thoughtful comments. I am so glad you enjoyed listening. It is further motivation for me to begin practicing again sometime soon.

Here is another batch of fine music! Thank you for it

01. wouter79 - La Poule (Nouvelles suites de pieces de clavecin, No.12) This is an absolutely incredible piece of music! It is almost as though it is written for a pianist with a very broad and solid technical base and musical vocabulary to go with it. I'd really like to hear you play this again in the next year or so, provided you want to keep playing it and it does not injure you. I'd be interested to hear it with a slower tempo, so you can better emphasize the myriad of different types of figures - fantastic dexterity is needed. You've got to have really athletic hands for this and a good capacity to concentrate. I am amazed you play this at this early stage of having played the piano (2.5 years). You bring great music to it, Wouter. Very well done, indeed.

02. dannylux / Mel - Bortkiewicz Lyrica Nova Op.59 No.3 That is very beautiful music. Mel, your playing is so very expressive, relaxed and natural. You must have been having so much fun being able to play like this! I sure had fun listening - that was great! What a joy to listen to you play it.

03. BenPiano - Prelude Op. 17 No 6 Ben what modern sounding melodies and harmonies you play so well. You are taking the listener on a seemingly timeless journey. Great job. I am very impressed with your playing. Scriabin is an incredible composer and you played this piece like you own it.

04. Jazzwee - Invitation That was fantastic, Jazzwee. I think that might be one of the best solos I've heard you play. You were clearly connecting with the music and engaging the other musicians. The band is really tight that night. That was really great, Jazzwee - so very rich and entertaining.

05. Inlanding - Glen - Warum? Op 12 No 3 I like how you brought out an intended question and answer. It's good your teacher had you write out what you thought the music is saying to better internalize it. You might have played it a bit dreamier than it is supposed to be…but then again, it is a fantasy piece written by a very complex romantic composer. Over time, add a greater sense of dynamics and follow a stricter tempo to see how that sounds to your mind's ear.

06. Mr Super Hunky - There is love (The wedding song) I thoroughly enjoyed listening to you play this song. You express some really heartfelt music through your hands. I hope you retain this one so when guests come to visit you, they'll be mesmerized by a fantastically played melody. You have a fantastic ear to spontaneously create those harmonies.

07. SwissMS - Nocturne in Eb Op. 9 Nr. 2 Fantastic Chopin! You give this music its own voice, your personal touch. The variations in the melody you bring out so well are matched by your sensitivity to the dynamics. You bring out the music.

08. CarlosCC - Ambers Never heard of Helen Jane Long until you played this beautiful melody. I agree with your opinion of the score, but it does not take away at all from your fine musical talent, bringing the best from the melodies you play. This is beautiful. Thank you!

09. Diana - Raymond - Theme from Overture Welcome to your first e-cital! Your playing is most excellent - great time and dynamics. Incredible you've been playing five months. I really enjoyed your music and look forward to hearing more from you.

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member

37. Jake S - Ah Vous Dirai-je Maman Welcome! The whole piece put a big smile on my face. You definitely took possession of the playfulness of the variations with your fine touch. The right hand & left hand were very well balanced. Phenomenal that you have these memorized! Splendid work for only playing for 7 months.

36. Copper - Ave Maria This is lovely! I don't believe I've heard this before now. So softly played with just the right feeling and dynamics, and clear harmonies. Really well done - maybe my favorite of yours. A keeper, for sure!

35. Newman - Desperado Oh man, you have the perfect tone to your voice for this song. (And many more songs, too!) Very good accompaniment that let your cool voice shine above. I see a big future for your singing! This brought back so many memories of singing this with friends. Outstanding! One of my favorites from this recital.

34. Andy Platt - Prelude in E Minor (Opus 28, No 4) I so enjoy hearing various interpretations of this prelude. There's so much open for interpretation. You've made this your own by playing it so interest-piquing (is that a word?). I very much like your approach throughout. One point particularly - the way you began was pretty tantalizing - like slipping smoothly into water. I'll up your "mesmerizing" with "captivating"!

Think less - play more

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Another highly successful recital. Thanks yet once again to Monica, Super, Mahlzeit, Sam, for organizing this all.

A few comments on pieces picked more or less randomly:

04. Jazzwee - Invitation
Yeah, I love that song, but it's so hard to play and improvise on - all those melodic leaps, complex chords, key center changes etc. But you have it down pat, sounding very at ease and at home with it. Band sounds good too.

07. SwissMS - Nocturne in Eb Op. 9 Nr. 2
Ah, wonderful, I love that melody and after listening I can't stop whistling it. Wonderful touch, very expressive. Love the sound of that N2, too. Well done!

10. Recaredo (Ricardo) - Piano sonata No 25 Op 79. Second movement.
Wow, your efforts have paid off nicely, Ricardo. It seems as if this piece makes special demands on hand independence, which is always the most difficult thing for me, but you coped very well. Nice work!

11. Jazztpt - Lament
Very creative, very moving. The unexpected upward jumps in the melody seem to induce a mysterious atmosphere that draws the listener in and invites contemplation, and that feeling persists throughout. Very interesting, soulful music!

13. kenjazz - A House Is Not A Home
Ken, you sound like a pro! I like those voicings, and your improv. It's a real challenge to trade with a drummer, even when you know exactly what he is going to play, but you handled it superbly. Very well done, indeed!

15. Sam S - Prelude and Fugue X WTC1
Wow, Sam, that was awesome! You must have two right hands, and two brains, to play the melodies, and another brain to keep the first two in sync. Really challenging to keep all that going and make it come out so musical. Well done!

17. ladypayne - A New Change
That was quite beautiful composition, and superbly played and recorded. You have certainly come a very very long way in your musical journey! Speaking of journeys, I loved the photos and videos of your journey to Alaska. I drove from Fairbanks to Denver in December (can you believe it? 50 below!) of 1968, in a Volkswagen, with my wife and two babies. Brought a shovel and had to clear snow drifts in some godforsaken place. Worst of all, it was the year of the Hong Kong flu, and I got it bad in some other godforsaken place. Anyway, I think the way you combine your music and photos is quite excellent!

19. Greener / Jeff Green - Schindler's List - Theme
Jeff, such a moving piece of music, played with real feeling. I'm amazed that you learned that from Youtube! And what a beautiful story about John Williams and Spielberg - very poignant.

More to come.

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
29. Mar_red - Rosemary's Baby - Lullaby You've done a superb job on your arrangement - sounds pretty darned refined to me! You certainly got the spirit of the story into this lullaby. Love all those "tinkly" runs. Great ending!

30. cscl - Bagatelle in G minor, Op. 119, No. 1 I love the bagatelles. And I love the way you've approached this, with your personal touch. Very good dynamics and articulation - perfect for Beethoven. Such a nice clean performance!

31. jotur/Cathy Turner - Dill Pickle Rag Oh yeah! Smiles, toe-tappin', and swayin'! I had to listen standing up - couldn't sit still. (That's how you get 'em on the dance floor laugh ).Perfect arrangement - I absolutely loved it! The most fun entry in the recital! (Good luck with your pro recording session!)

32. TrapperJohn - Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again (from "Phantom...") I've seen the stage production and the movie. I agree that this song is the most poignant. Wow, you've done it great justice, TJ! I love how you added great dramatic flair with the soft delicate verses against the angst-ridden ones. It was resplendent!

33. knotty - Petite Fleur First of all, great recording! All the players evenly balanced. You all mesh so impressively. Knotty, your comping was perfect and your solo was simply spectacular. And, the cornet player was awesome - very sexy solo he has here. An outstanding finish to my recital listening!

Think less - play more

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Below are my final comments, think I got everyone. Loved all the different styles and unique voices. Special thanks to the following for their reviews of my entry: Cookie74, Andy Platt, Clemente, jazzwee, Bobpickle, Monica K, CMohr, Sam S, SwissMS, PianoStudent88.

#6 Mr Super Hunky: Beautiful indeed, I'm in awe of your "noodle method," I could never do that
#7 SwissMS: One of my favorite pieces -- very nice interpretation
#8 CarlosCC: Well, with your Schroeder avatar I was hoping to hear Vince Guaraldi:) Just kidding of course. Enjoyed your performance.
#9 Diana: A clear, confident performance, keep it up
#10 Recaredo (Ricardo): I know the feeling of wanting to tackle pieces I consider outside my level. Excellent job with Beethoven
#18 Riddler (Ed): Terrific job with those runs in the beginning. A "dignified" performance indeed smile
#19 Like that anecdote about Spielberg. An expressive performance.
#20 CASINITALY (Cheryl): I like your description of the music like a puzzle. Your performance fits together nicely.
#21 timmyab: Great, sounds professional
#22 Lady Chen: Your passion for this piece is evident, just gorgeous
#23 MrPozor: Tres bien!
#24 Monica K: Your voice & musicality shine through
#25 Cookie74: fantastic fingerwork
#26 Mile Hi Steve: Nice arrangement, hope that offeratory plate filled up:)
#27 Bobpickle: Just love the way you handle that opening theme, beautiful
#28 joangolfing: Congrats on breaking in your new piano with a very fine performance
#29Mar_red: Brooding, the emotion comes through well, I enjoyed it
#30 cscl: A warm, rich tone you coax out of the piano
#31 jotur/Cathy Turner: joyful playing, love it
#32 TrapperJohn: My favorite scene from the movie, great job with it
#33 knotty: Love the ensemble, sounds awesome
#34 Andy Platt: Played with restrained/refined emotion fitting of Chopin IMO, love this prelude
#35 Newman: A classic! Very good.
#36 Copper: A nice soft touch
#37 Jake S: Amazing to memorize a piece this length. Bravo
#38 Augustina: I find slow pieces challenging as well, this is very expressive
#39 Sand Tiger: Folksy, very nice
#40Serge88: Fun, I like the addition of the drum track
#41 Starr Keys: A vulnerable performance & video
#42 CMohr: Your own arrangement, wow -- very cool, sounded great
#43 ClavBoy: Crystal clear
#44 Ken: Makes me wish I played jazz
#45 daveindenton: I'm a John Williams fan as well, nice job with this.
#46 MaryBee: Loved it, you make Mozart sound effortless
#47 DadAgains_Daughter: my goodness, excellent technique
#48 DadAgain: Fine work, like father like daughter
#49 Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White: Impressive, I could never sightread a piece for a recording like that
#50 Falmc: a heartfelt tribute
#51 Clemente: You bring out the full flavor the piece
#52Norrec (Tim): Nice job on your first recording, here's to many more
#53 notback: pensive & sweet
#54lyricmudra: Hadn't heard this one before, you look at complete ease at the keyboard in your video, well done.
#55 RedKat: Agree with you on your assessment of this waltz, enjoyed your warm interpretation.
#56 Grouchomarx: Very good, I admire you for tackling Liszt.
#57 Tiago84: Wow, gorgeous. At 5 months in I was playing Old Macdonald not Chopin.
#59 yohyrral: fluid & uplifting composition
#60 BillM: True to its name, tender & soulful
# 61 PianoStudent88: love that brief section in the upper register towards the end, good job

"And the night shall be filled with music..." -Longfellow
http://www.lineandlandscape.com
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
CMohr
piece: Jimmy Van Heusen (music), Johnny Burke : Imagination
technical:
clipping: no
balance L/R: ok
noise: little white noise and a soft chirp through it,
bass: not so much
depth of field: shallow
piano sound: little nasal

musical:
overall impression, like: I'm really not into this kind of music so I googled a few performances. I understand that the voice is missing (your mother was going to sing it?). Nice idea! And wonderful that your mother joined you with some singing! I think you got the right speed, mood and chords.
But to me it seems somehow it does not get into the groove, maybe the hesitations and red dot syndrome are playing up here as you said. But I think the singing is a very important part to the piece, it kind of glues the piece together and now we miss it. Hearing the singing might also help you get into the groove and just play ahead.
Phrasing: I think the phrasing comes most from the voice that is lacking. Without the singing it's pretty hard to follow.
rubato, speed changes: yes, some, I guess ok
Dynamics: ok
articulation: most pedal

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by AndyMc
A vulnerable performance and video

Thanks.

Last edited by Starr Keys; 08/19/12 01:56 AM.
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
41. Starr Keys - It Goes Like It Goes This is quite a song. I am so very impressed with how you are able to play and accompany yourself. Your voice is beautiful and it gets better every time you play a new piece of music. Your lessons are really paying off - you are getting the focus you can use to apply to more songs of your choosing. The multimedia presentation was fantastic, too - you personalized it, which goes along with why you chose the piece in the first place - for your parents and family. A stellar (Starr) performance.

42. CMohr - Imagination I like this standard a great deal, and even more the way you chose to express it through your own arrangement and improvisations. The fact you chose it for your Mom gives it even more meaning. The leaps and bounds in improvement in your playing, expression, and confidence have been huge over this past year and it's all coming together very nicely. I always look forward to your music. Next time your Mom comes for a visit, you should accompany her - she'll love it!

43. ClavBoy - Prelude No. 1 C Major BWV 846 You show such fine finger control and only after 9 months of playing! This is spectacular. The next iterations of this fine Prelude could include a bit more dynamics - no easy task on an electric piano. Great work, ClavBoy. I really look forward to hearing more from you.

44. Ken. - Light Blue Ken, you picked this Monk music that is so difficult to pull off, something which you do so easily! This is such a rare bird, not often heard. From Monk easy piano solos…what's easy about it? Your playing is spot-on.

45. daveindenton - Theme from Schindler's List Congratulations on your first e-cital. I very much like your interpretation. There is so many ways to bring the emotion this piece evokes and I really like the direction you chose. Very, very nice, daveindenton.

46. MaryBee - Sonata in C minor, K.457, Mvt.1 Pure Mozart you bring to the e-cital! I always enjoy your playing. There are so many tricks, turns, and trills. You bring out the seriousness and playfulness that Mozart seems to intend so very well. It's like a finely honed journey. I really look forward to the second movement next time!

47. DadAgains_Daughter - Invention in F Major Wow! This is so well played. The articulations are very well outlined and your sense of time is perfect. I am very impressed by anyone that plays Bach, and even more impressed by your playing.

48. DadAgain - Prelude and Fugue XX - A minor Fantastic, DadAgain! You have a fine sense of the keyboard and show some great dexterity with this one. The prelude was wonderful. That fugue has some well-defined voices and you bring out the music in them, despite what you say in your description. This is a fine bit of work, indeed.

49. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Dance of the Blessed Spirits Very short and sweet. Very impressive sight-reading, there Mike. Gluck wrote some beautiful melodies. Thank you for sharing your sight-reading talents.

50. Falmc - Sweet Sereny I so very much enjoyed this piece and your piano transcription of your original guitar work. A fine bit of musicianship, for sure. Your girlfriend must really enjoy this piece. Quite a tribute to her, and to you!

51. Clemente - Andalucia Lecouna wrote some wonderful pieces and you chose one. This was so very enjoyable - incredible energy your bring to it. What a fine bit of playing, Clemente. There are little technical improvements to be made, especially with the octaves, and you will get them over time. It takes time and consistency to mature a piece like this, especially. You were connecting with the music and expressing it, that's what matters most to me, especially for this e-cital.

52. Norrec (Tim) - Beaming Sunlight Congratulations on making a very fine and successful recording, Tim! Amazing how well you are playing after one year. You are really on to something and I look forward to more of your music.

53. notbach - To a Wild Rose (Op.51 No. 1) As always, I am a sucker for simple harmonies played well and yours is one of them. This melody paints wonderful pictures - you see to that. Great work, and even moreso that fact you got it together in such fine style with very short notice. Beautiful.

54. lyricmudra - Sheep May Safely Graze (from J.S. Bach's Birthday Cantata) This is the second time I've ever heard this and your interpretation is wonderful. There's so much going on and it must be a real challenge to get the dynamics the way you want them. I enjoyed it start-to-finish!

55. RedKat - Waltz, B minor, Op. 69 n. 2 When I was taking lessons, my piano teacher said I needed to add this to my repertoire. I have yet to do so, as it is very difficult to get right. You bring so much passion to this Waltz. It is the music you are expressing so very well, very confident and steady. Great playing, RedKat!

56. Grouchomarx - Hungarian Rhapsody 2 Lassan (no Friska) Wow! Very nicely done, Groucho. Only 3-4 years? Simply amazing the talent you have! Such dexterity and musical expression. It'll be even more amazing to hear this again once you start playing it again. I look forward to Rach 32-12.

57. Tiago84 - Prelude in E minor (Op28 No4) There are so many way to slice this pie…Chopin saw to that, even if it was not intended. Your playing is so very heartfelt, certainly one of his intentions. Five months of playing the piano? You are an amazing player. This is great.

58. AndyMc - Riverlights #1 Andy, this was terrific. The added echo effect really gives your intended melody line a kick. I very much enjoyed your original composition. I looked at the video and it is perfectly in line with the music you play. Great talent. Congratulations and thank you for joining in the e-cital fun.

59. yohyrral (= Larry Hoy) - Three Themes for Piano An original composition thoroughly enjoyable. I am sure your newly acquired piano gets very little rest. The way you play so freely is a joy to hear. Thank you for your music.

60. BillM - Try A Little Tenderness This was so wonderful, Bill! You have great control of your voice and your accompaniments are perfect. The solo was so well done. I am always amazed at how you are able to play and sing at the same time. The title is something about which we can all aspire.

61. PianoStudent88 - Ivan Sings This is the first Khachaturian I recall hearing in one of these e-citals. You are clearly listening to the melody as you play it and it is very well expressed. Your teacher must be having fun working with such a talent, and a motivated one at that! Thank you for this.

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
42 Starr Keys: It Goes Like It Goes - David Shire
[video:youtube]ysMt5PKGsDw[/video]
Great work as always Starr Keys! This piece is new to me. I really enjoyed your performance. To sing those high tones so well can't be easy and you do it with such ease… while playing the piano!!! Great work on the video too. It flows great! The music and your performance fit the slides very well. Thanks for sharing!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
31 jotur/Cathy Turner: Dill Pickle Rag - Charles L. Johnson
This is a great performance Cathy!! I felt like I was watching an old silent movie the whole time I listened to it. I like how you maintain a steady rhythm as it seems tricky in places. Your performance would be perfect for an old slap stick movie!! The great 'Modern Times' from 1936 would be excellent as you use a DP. smile Thanks for sharing!!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
36. Copper - Ave Maria
How beautiful and serene – I was left wanting more. Love the counterpoint.

37. Jake S - Ah Vous Dirai-je Maman
What a fun project this must have been to take on! It is astounding that you have this level of control after only 7 months. Well done.

38. Augustina - Touched
A very pretty tune well played. I’m partial to slow, romantic pieces and this is quite lovely.

39. Sand Tiger - Ashokan Farewell
I’ve watched the Ken Burns Civil War series a number of times and like this tune very much. I enjoyed listening to your performance. Quite an accomplishment after playing only 5 months.

40. Serge88 - What'd I say
I actually like the slower more soulful and bluesy tempo of your rendition of this fun tune. You have a good feel for this one.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
41. Starr Keys - It Goes Like It Goes
One of my favorites of the recital! This one pushes all of my buttons – a great old song with a very strong melody, a fine vocal performance, and an interesting and touching photo montage. Loved it.

42. CMohr - Imagination
I don’t think I’ve ever heard this one before which is surprising since I’m a huge fan of music from this era (40s on 4 is one of my favorite XM stations). A lovely and touching performance. I can see why your mom was moved to sing along. Sweet.

43. ClavBoy - Prelude No. 1 C Major BWV 846
A very strong and confident performance. Once again I’m amazed that you can take something like this piece on after playing less than a year. Very well articulated.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
notbach
piece: Edward MacDowell: To a Wild Rose (Op.51 No. 1)
technical:
clipping: no
balance L/R : ok
noise: very little
bass: ok
depth of field: shallow
piano sound: excellent

musical:
overall impression, like: Nicely played. Good flow, steady pace, smooth sound. Good job for a quick prepare and playing through mistakes.
But are you sure it's not the cultivated, non-stinging rose that we hear here ;-) I think it's possible to do more with this.
I agree that the roses themselves are pinkish and inviting a smooth performance. But the stems have dense, sharp, sickle-shaped hooks aka thorns. Also they have pinnate leaves (opposite to each other). Their thorns are designed to cling to other vegetation (and not mainly to protect them). After flowering, their buds are eaten by birds (and by humans, eg in syrup and jam)
Just for some suggestions, I think I can hear the thorns around 1:01. The rose hips are probably at the end? Also the hips generally seem to be darker color than the flowers, so I'm expecting a bit darker sound there.
Phrasing: clear
rubato, speed changes: no, very stable speed.
Dynamics: fine
articulation: most pedal

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
37 Jake S - Ah Vous Dirai-je Maman, Mozart
A sizable undertaking, Jake. This is an amazing performance for seven months at the piano. I am impressed.

38 Augustina - Touched, Joe Bongiorno
A pretty piece well played. I don;t know the song, so I didn't notice the rhythms you said were off.

39 Sand Tiger - Ashokan Farewell, Jay Unger
I play this, and it's not easy. Great job. Considering you have been playing a very short time it's down right amazing.

40 Serge88 - What'd I Say, Ray Charles
Fun performance, Serge.

41 Starr Keys - It Goes Like It Goes, David Shire
I have not heard this song before nor seen the movie. Nice job, Starr Keys. I enjoyed your singing. Your vocal seems to fit the piece nicely. Puts me a bit in mind of Streisand.

42 CMohr - Imagination, Jimmy Van Heusen & Johnny Burke
Nice job. I like what you did with this song, CMohr. In places the left hand chords sound a bit like a jazz guitarist strumming. That enhances the mood, I think. Bravo.

43 ClavBoy - Prelude No. 1 C Major BWV 846, Bach
Nice job overall. I would like to hear a bit gentler touch in some parts and a more pronounced ritardando at the end, but this is really nice for some one with a very limited experience.

44 Ken. - Light Blue, Thelonious Monk
Nice, Ken. You captured the essence of the piece perfectly.

45 daveindenton - Theme from Schindler's List, John Williams
Better than fair enough, Dave. This is a very moving performance.

46 MaryBee - Sonata in C minor, K.457, Mvt.1, Mozart
It certainly doesn't sound like a drunken uncle now, MaryBee. Great job. Great job.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi everybody!

I’ve been away on vacation, and I haven’t been able to listen to the recital until now, so I’m going to spend this Sunday evening listening to some recordings.

But first of all, I wanted to thank Cathy, Andy Platt, Glen, SwissMS, Carlos, Jazztpt, CMohr, Lady Chen, Clemente, Dennis, Bill, Bobpickle, Starr Keys, Sam, Cookie, Riddler, and AndyMc, for your helpful comments and lovely words on my performance. They all are extremely appreciated.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R

More comments.

22. Lady Chen - Nocturne in E minor, op. 72, no. 1
What a beautiful piece. Chopin never ceases to amaze me with his inventiveness! I loved it. Played so expressively, and with such articulation. Well done!

25. Cookie74 - Invention No. 4 in D minor
What a workout! Great trills, very impressive at those speeds.

27. Bobpickle - June (Barcarolle)
Superb rendition! I could have sworn I was listening to an absolute pro! Flawless and expressive, excellent recording too.

31. jotur/Cathy Turner - Dill Pickle Rag
What a fun tune! Never heard it before, but it certainly has a ragtime feel and rhythm to it. Played with real vigor and joyfulness!

32. TrapperJohn - Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again (from "Phantom...")
Love that song! I must admit I never really liked the story (saw it onstage many years ago), but the songs are great, and this is one of my favs. So well played - you just continue to improve, TJ.

33. knotty - Petite Fleur
Wow, Knots, that was very enjoyable. Your two-fisted chord playing was remarkable. Also, you guys seem to respond to each other's improv very well at times, and very quickly, which is so important.

34. Andy Platt - Prelude in E Minor (Opus 28, No 4)
Andy, that was wonderful. What beautiful chords, melodies. Wish I could play it. Well done.

43. ClavBoy - Prelude No. 1 C Major BWV 846 (to do)
Loved that! I must confess, whenever I listen to this piece, in my mind I hear the Ave Maria melody on top of it. But that does not detract from the experience of listening. Wonderful performance.

44. Ken. - Light Blue
I've always liked this song. It was on a 33 RPM LP I listened to many times, and I probably even heard him play it live a few times, but you don't hear it played often nowadays, so I am glad to see you keeping it alive. Well done. Those Monk endings always surprise, don't they? smile

More later.

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

J
J
Congratulations to everyone that has submitted. Some really enjoyable music. I hope you all found (as I did) that the process of recording/preparing really gave you a new perspective on your music since it is so differnt hearing yourself whilst playing and listening to the recording afterwards.

A special thanks to everyone that has commented on me, it is quite daunting to post yourself on the internet and you guys are sooo supportive as a community. Hats off to all the people that have managed to comment on everyone's playing which is a feat in itself.

I'm afraid I only have time to comment on a few contributions but here we go:

07. SwissMS - Nocturne in Eb Op. 9 Nr. 2
I love this piece, and delicacy of your playing captures mood of the piece very well. Some of the rubato where you pull the tempo back is delightful.

11. Jazztpt - Lament
Very atmospheric, I love your writing. You deserve major kudos for being able to write a piece like this. The laid back feel combined with the textures of the slow chords is fantastic.

15. Sam S - Prelude and Fugue X WTC1
I have heard that Bach's Prelude and Fugues are something to aim for, and really tough to play. I really like your transition into the presto, which seems very smooth and controlled.

24. Monica K. - Fairy Tale
You picked a corker here. I had never heard of Einaudi before this, but I'm certainly going to seek him out now. Your playing is very composed, almost understated which works perfectly with the sparse scoring and makes the piece sound effortless.

25. Cookie74 - Invention No. 4 in D minor
I like your separation of the two voices, both seeming to come to the fore as and when required by the music. The interplay between the two voices is good, helping us to understand what Bach meant when he wrote the piece

27. Bobpickle - June (Barcarolle)
Very confident performance, you seem to play this effortlessly, with good poise. Considering you only have 8 months experience, I think this is very good, I would not have guessed you started this year.

34. Andy Platt - Prelude in E Minor (Opus 28, No 4)
Such a lovely piece well played. Your melody is haunting and you are not afraid to pull the tempo to fit your vision of the piece.

42. CMohr - Imagination
You seem a little down on your performance, but for me this was really nicely played. I think you show sensitivity in your touch. Also, well done on the arrangement, I thought this was very professional sounding.

51. Clemente - Andalucia
I really liked that you had some fun with this piece. The fast bass notes almost sound like they are cheekily tipping their hat whilst the melody soars over the top. I hope the new teacher is working out well.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
61. PianoStudent88 - Ivan Sings
The main melody of this piece is played expressively, and its variations follow the same way; where the rhythm is really solid. Congratulations on this lovely performance, PianoStudent!

60. BillM - Try A Little Tenderness
I can’t really say whether your piano accompanies your voice or vice versa, since both sing this song with convincing expression. Your performance asks the listener to pay attention to every note, whether it be played by the piano or sung by your voice. Fantastic rendition on this beautiful song, Bill!

59. yohyrral (= Larry Hoy) - Three Themes for Piano
The nice themes of this composition are developed throughout inspired variations and your playing is fantastic at the same time, Larry. It has been a pleasure to listen to your work. I see you played it by ear, so congratulations on your great talent!

58. AndyMc - Riverlights #1
In this composition the beautiful image of river lights is lovely reflected in music. This is not easy, since we are speaking not only of images but of sensations. Thanks for sharing your clever work, Andy.

57. Tiago84 - Prelude in E minor (Op28 No4)
Wow Tiago, I see you have been playing piano for only five months, and you are already able to play this prelude with refined dynamics. Very good job, Tiago, you are very talented, keep working on the piano!

56. Grouchomarx - Hungarian Rhapsody 2 Lassan (no Friska)
You are making impressive progresses in very little time, Grouchomarx. Obviously this is not an easy piece, but you manage to play it very convincingly. The ornaments, the different dynamics this piece asks for, all shows not only a great job, but a real talent. I enjoyed your recording so much that I would have liked to listen to the whole rhapsody under your rendition. Congrats Grouchomarx.

55. RedKat - Waltz, B minor, Op. 69 n. 2
What a fantastic rendition on Chopin’s music, RedKat. Every phrase is gorgeously exhibited through an accurate technique. I especially loved the changes in tempo that your performance shows so brilliantly. I’ve really enjoyed your recording, Redkat.

54. lyricmudra - Sheep May Safely Graze (from J.S. Bach's Birthday Cantata)
Although you say this is a piece in progress, I listened to an enjoyable performance, where the different voices are well balanced and all seems to be under control with clear ideas, lyricmudra.

53. notbach - To a Wild Rose (Op.51 No. 1)
I understand you’re happy with your playing; you did a cool job on this song, notbach.

52. Norrec (Tim) - Beaming Sunlight
You made a great job with your first recording, Tim. Despite this is maybe a simple song, it needs to be played musically, and you manage to transmit sensations throughout your playing. Keep on working on the piano, Tim; I’m looking forward to listening to your next recording wink.

Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission