Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#1945333 - 08/19/12 07:52 AM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
42 Starr Keys: It Goes Like It Goes - David Shire

Great work as always Starr Keys! This piece is new to me. I really enjoyed your performance. To sing those high tones so well can't be easy and you do it with such ease… while playing the piano!!! Great work on the video too. It flows great! The music and your performance fit the slides very well. Thanks for sharing!

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1945339 - 08/19/12 08:03 AM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
31 jotur/Cathy Turner: Dill Pickle Rag - Charles L. Johnson
This is a great performance Cathy!! I felt like I was watching an old silent movie the whole time I listened to it. I like how you maintain a steady rhythm as it seems tricky in places. Your performance would be perfect for an old slap stick movie!! The great 'Modern Times' from 1936 would be excellent as you use a DP. smile Thanks for sharing!!

#1945359 - 08/19/12 08:24 AM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: BillM]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
36. Copper - Ave Maria
How beautiful and serene – I was left wanting more. Love the counterpoint.

37. Jake S - Ah Vous Dirai-je Maman
What a fun project this must have been to take on! It is astounding that you have this level of control after only 7 months. Well done.

38. Augustina - Touched
A very pretty tune well played. I’m partial to slow, romantic pieces and this is quite lovely.

39. Sand Tiger - Ashokan Farewell
I’ve watched the Ken Burns Civil War series a number of times and like this tune very much. I enjoyed listening to your performance. Quite an accomplishment after playing only 5 months.

40. Serge88 - What'd I say
I actually like the slower more soulful and bluesy tempo of your rendition of this fun tune. You have a good feel for this one.
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes

#1945365 - 08/19/12 08:36 AM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: BillM]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

41. Starr Keys - It Goes Like It Goes
One of my favorites of the recital! This one pushes all of my buttons – a great old song with a very strong melody, a fine vocal performance, and an interesting and touching photo montage. Loved it.

42. CMohr - Imagination
I don’t think I’ve ever heard this one before which is surprising since I’m a huge fan of music from this era (40s on 4 is one of my favorite XM stations). A lovely and touching performance. I can see why your mom was moved to sing along. Sweet.

43. ClavBoy - Prelude No. 1 C Major BWV 846
A very strong and confident performance. Once again I’m amazed that you can take something like this piece on after playing less than a year. Very well articulated.

#1945413 - 08/19/12 10:21 AM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

notbach
piece: Edward MacDowell: To a Wild Rose (Op.51 No. 1)
technical:
clipping: no
balance L/R : ok
noise: very little
bass: ok
depth of field: shallow
piano sound: excellent

musical:
overall impression, like: Nicely played. Good flow, steady pace, smooth sound. Good job for a quick prepare and playing through mistakes.
But are you sure it's not the cultivated, non-stinging rose that we hear here ;-) I think it's possible to do more with this.
I agree that the roses themselves are pinkish and inviting a smooth performance. But the stems have dense, sharp, sickle-shaped hooks aka thorns. Also they have pinnate leaves (opposite to each other). Their thorns are designed to cling to other vegetation (and not mainly to protect them). After flowering, their buds are eaten by birds (and by humans, eg in syrup and jam)
Just for some suggestions, I think I can hear the thorns around 1:01. The rose hips are probably at the end? Also the hips generally seem to be darker color than the flowers, so I'm expecting a bit darker sound there.
Phrasing: clear
rubato, speed changes: no, very stable speed.
Dynamics: fine
articulation: most pedal

#1945546 - 08/19/12 01:37 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
37 Jake S - Ah Vous Dirai-je Maman, Mozart
A sizable undertaking, Jake. This is an amazing performance for seven months at the piano. I am impressed.

38 Augustina - Touched, Joe Bongiorno
A pretty piece well played. I don;t know the song, so I didn't notice the rhythms you said were off.

39 Sand Tiger - Ashokan Farewell, Jay Unger
I play this, and it's not easy. Great job. Considering you have been playing a very short time it's down right amazing.

40 Serge88 - What'd I Say, Ray Charles
Fun performance, Serge.

41 Starr Keys - It Goes Like It Goes, David Shire
I have not heard this song before nor seen the movie. Nice job, Starr Keys. I enjoyed your singing. Your vocal seems to fit the piece nicely. Puts me a bit in mind of Streisand.

42 CMohr - Imagination, Jimmy Van Heusen & Johnny Burke
Nice job. I like what you did with this song, CMohr. In places the left hand chords sound a bit like a jazz guitarist strumming. That enhances the mood, I think. Bravo.

43 ClavBoy - Prelude No. 1 C Major BWV 846, Bach
Nice job overall. I would like to hear a bit gentler touch in some parts and a more pronounced ritardando at the end, but this is really nice for some one with a very limited experience.

44 Ken. - Light Blue, Thelonious Monk
Nice, Ken. You captured the essence of the piece perfectly.

45 daveindenton - Theme from Schindler's List, John Williams
Better than fair enough, Dave. This is a very moving performance.

46 MaryBee - Sonata in C minor, K.457, Mvt.1, Mozart
It certainly doesn't sound like a drunken uncle now, MaryBee. Great job. Great job.

flickr

#1945574 - 08/19/12 02:32 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Hi everybody!

I’ve been away on vacation, and I haven’t been able to listen to the recital until now, so I’m going to spend this Sunday evening listening to some recordings.

But first of all, I wanted to thank Cathy, Andy Platt, Glen, SwissMS, Carlos, Jazztpt, CMohr, Lady Chen, Clemente, Dennis, Bill, Bobpickle, Starr Keys, Sam, Cookie, Riddler, and AndyMc, for your helpful comments and lovely words on my performance. They all are extremely appreciated.

My website

#1945595 - 08/19/12 03:06 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida

More comments.

22. Lady Chen - Nocturne in E minor, op. 72, no. 1
What a beautiful piece. Chopin never ceases to amaze me with his inventiveness! I loved it. Played so expressively, and with such articulation. Well done!

25. Cookie74 - Invention No. 4 in D minor
What a workout! Great trills, very impressive at those speeds.

27. Bobpickle - June (Barcarolle)
Superb rendition! I could have sworn I was listening to an absolute pro! Flawless and expressive, excellent recording too.

31. jotur/Cathy Turner - Dill Pickle Rag
What a fun tune! Never heard it before, but it certainly has a ragtime feel and rhythm to it. Played with real vigor and joyfulness!

32. TrapperJohn - Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again (from "Phantom...")
Love that song! I must admit I never really liked the story (saw it onstage many years ago), but the songs are great, and this is one of my favs. So well played - you just continue to improve, TJ.

33. knotty - Petite Fleur
Wow, Knots, that was very enjoyable. Your two-fisted chord playing was remarkable. Also, you guys seem to respond to each other's improv very well at times, and very quickly, which is so important.

34. Andy Platt - Prelude in E Minor (Opus 28, No 4)
Andy, that was wonderful. What beautiful chords, melodies. Wish I could play it. Well done.

43. ClavBoy - Prelude No. 1 C Major BWV 846 (to do)
Loved that! I must confess, whenever I listen to this piece, in my mind I hear the Ave Maria melody on top of it. But that does not detract from the experience of listening. Wonderful performance.

44. Ken. - Light Blue
I've always liked this song. It was on a 33 RPM LP I listened to many times, and I probably even heard him play it live a few times, but you don't hear it played often nowadays, so I am glad to see you keeping it alive. Well done. Those Monk endings always surprise, don't they? smile

More later.

Ed

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

#1945630 - 08/19/12 04:13 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Jake S Offline

Loc: UK
Congratulations to everyone that has submitted. Some really enjoyable music. I hope you all found (as I did) that the process of recording/preparing really gave you a new perspective on your music since it is so differnt hearing yourself whilst playing and listening to the recording afterwards.

A special thanks to everyone that has commented on me, it is quite daunting to post yourself on the internet and you guys are sooo supportive as a community. Hats off to all the people that have managed to comment on everyone's playing which is a feat in itself.

I'm afraid I only have time to comment on a few contributions but here we go:

07. SwissMS - Nocturne in Eb Op. 9 Nr. 2
I love this piece, and delicacy of your playing captures mood of the piece very well. Some of the rubato where you pull the tempo back is delightful.

11. Jazztpt - Lament
Very atmospheric, I love your writing. You deserve major kudos for being able to write a piece like this. The laid back feel combined with the textures of the slow chords is fantastic.

15. Sam S - Prelude and Fugue X WTC1
I have heard that Bach's Prelude and Fugues are something to aim for, and really tough to play. I really like your transition into the presto, which seems very smooth and controlled.

24. Monica K. - Fairy Tale
You picked a corker here. I had never heard of Einaudi before this, but I'm certainly going to seek him out now. Your playing is very composed, almost understated which works perfectly with the sparse scoring and makes the piece sound effortless.

25. Cookie74 - Invention No. 4 in D minor
I like your separation of the two voices, both seeming to come to the fore as and when required by the music. The interplay between the two voices is good, helping us to understand what Bach meant when he wrote the piece

27. Bobpickle - June (Barcarolle)
Very confident performance, you seem to play this effortlessly, with good poise. Considering you only have 8 months experience, I think this is very good, I would not have guessed you started this year.

Such a lovely piece well played. Your melody is haunting and you are not afraid to pull the tempo to fit your vision of the piece.

42. CMohr - Imagination
You seem a little down on your performance, but for me this was really nicely played. I think you show sensitivity in your touch. Also, well done on the arrangement, I thought this was very professional sounding.

51. Clemente - Andalucia
I really liked that you had some fun with this piece. The fast bass notes almost sound like they are cheekily tipping their hat whilst the melody soars over the top. I hope the new teacher is working out well.

#1945721 - 08/19/12 07:06 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

61. PianoStudent88 - Ivan Sings
The main melody of this piece is played expressively, and its variations follow the same way; where the rhythm is really solid. Congratulations on this lovely performance, PianoStudent!

60. BillM - Try A Little Tenderness
I can’t really say whether your piano accompanies your voice or vice versa, since both sing this song with convincing expression. Your performance asks the listener to pay attention to every note, whether it be played by the piano or sung by your voice. Fantastic rendition on this beautiful song, Bill!

59. yohyrral (= Larry Hoy) - Three Themes for Piano
The nice themes of this composition are developed throughout inspired variations and your playing is fantastic at the same time, Larry. It has been a pleasure to listen to your work. I see you played it by ear, so congratulations on your great talent!

58. AndyMc - Riverlights #1
In this composition the beautiful image of river lights is lovely reflected in music. This is not easy, since we are speaking not only of images but of sensations. Thanks for sharing your clever work, Andy.

57. Tiago84 - Prelude in E minor (Op28 No4)
Wow Tiago, I see you have been playing piano for only five months, and you are already able to play this prelude with refined dynamics. Very good job, Tiago, you are very talented, keep working on the piano!

56. Grouchomarx - Hungarian Rhapsody 2 Lassan (no Friska)
You are making impressive progresses in very little time, Grouchomarx. Obviously this is not an easy piece, but you manage to play it very convincingly. The ornaments, the different dynamics this piece asks for, all shows not only a great job, but a real talent. I enjoyed your recording so much that I would have liked to listen to the whole rhapsody under your rendition. Congrats Grouchomarx.

55. RedKat - Waltz, B minor, Op. 69 n. 2
What a fantastic rendition on Chopin’s music, RedKat. Every phrase is gorgeously exhibited through an accurate technique. I especially loved the changes in tempo that your performance shows so brilliantly. I’ve really enjoyed your recording, Redkat.

54. lyricmudra - Sheep May Safely Graze (from J.S. Bach's Birthday Cantata)
Although you say this is a piece in progress, I listened to an enjoyable performance, where the different voices are well balanced and all seems to be under control with clear ideas, lyricmudra.

53. notbach - To a Wild Rose (Op.51 No. 1)
I understand you’re happy with your playing; you did a cool job on this song, notbach.

52. Norrec (Tim) - Beaming Sunlight
You made a great job with your first recording, Tim. Despite this is maybe a simple song, it needs to be played musically, and you manage to transmit sensations throughout your playing. Keep on working on the piano, Tim; I’m looking forward to listening to your next recording wink.

My website

#1945741 - 08/19/12 07:43 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
4-Jazzwee- Wow. I wish I lived near by...I would love to be able to hear you play live. Remarkable playing.

5-Glen, I've been playing some of Shumann's shorter works but haven't even listened to this one much less attempted to play it. Absolutely wonderful playing. I love your approach. Just a perfect touch and the way you work the bass melody in... I don't even know how to describe how excellent it sounds. I had to listen a couple of times.

#1945760 - 08/19/12 08:21 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: BillM]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

44. Ken. - Light Blue
What an interesting piece. One of the things I like about these recitals is that it exposes one to music one wouldn’t ordinarily hear. I liked the second version better, by the way.

45. daveindenton - Theme from Schindler's List
Sensitively played. I like the way you strum the chords – good dynamics.

46. MaryBee - Sonata in C minor, K.457, Mvt.1
Well done. You have obviously put quite a bit of effort into this piece over the last year and it shows.

47. DadAgains_Daughter - Invention in F Major
Very well done. You do an excellent job maintaining the tempo and show good hand independence.

48. DadAgain - Prelude and Fugue XX - A minor
A fine effort – I think you are getting hang of Bach quite well.

#1945763 - 08/19/12 08:31 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: BillM]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

49. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Dance of the Blessed Spirits
I have heard this before but with, I think, a different name. Nice job of sight reading.

50. Falmc - Sweet Sereny
A very professional sounding recording. A lovely tune.

51. Clemente - Andalucia
You have some fast fingers. This is going to be quite a show piece with a little more tender loving care – you are almost there.

52. Norrec (Tim) - Beaming Sunlight
What a lovely piece! I think this is more than “good enough”. You have a good, light touch.

#1945769 - 08/19/12 08:39 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: BillM]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

53. notbach - To a Wild Rose (Op.51 No. 1)
I am not familiar with this piece either, but enjoyed your performance of this lovely tune.

54. lyricmudra - Sheep May Safely Graze (from J.S. Bach's Birthday Cantata)
This is a very polished performance. Beautifully done! Your piano has a full, rich tone.

55. RedKat - Waltz, B minor, Op. 69 n. 2
You are right – this is a jewel and you play it beautifully. Very enjoyable listen.

#1945771 - 08/19/12 08:40 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
I want to thank those who gave me such lovely comments. I really appreciate it.

Here's more comments from me.

01. wouter79 - La Poule (Nouvelles suites de pieces de clavecin, No.12) - You've really been aggressive with your development and amazed that you tackle all these difficult pieces. Congratulations! Now since I'm concerned for everyone's development, I'm going to get picky with you to make sure you hear what I hear. There's lots of unnevenness here that requires really S-L-O-W practice. Maybe 10% speed. You need to be able to hear for yourself when there's any rhythmic problems. This is the danger of rushing to really complex pieces because the muscles may not have developed yet to handle the technique required. But the ears have to grow first. Let me say though that your tone has really improved from the last recital. Much better tone and balance. Again great development for your limited time on the instrument.

03. BenPiano - Prelude Op. 17 No 6 Really liking your choice of music Ben. This is wonderful and you're bringing out those complex harmonies nicely between your hands. You're doing great. Such serious progress!

07. SwissMS - Nocturne in Eb Op. 9 Nr. 2 Very nice. Lovely tone and you brought out that melody so wonderfully. Sounding really good. Now the next step is to refine the sound of the chords further. Just a technique thing that takes so much time. You're really getting there.

15. Sam S - Prelude and Fugue X WTC1 Lovely performance! Great job. No I don't think it's easy. So I appreciate your accomplishments.

16. Peyton - Mazurka #4 in A Minor - As always that beautiful tone is just amazing. I was going to learn this and listened to Horowitz. Don't worry, I didn't compare. LOL. You played it so well. So much fun to listen to!

20. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Rigaudon & Entree - Darn, I missed you playing on the acoustic because on that I can really hear your tone as you really dig deep into the keys. Here your lovely playing is obscured by the limitations of the device. Also you play less legato here than before so don't forget to focus on that more. Still you have progressed so well in all this time and I'm very happy to hear changes at every recital. Great work.

24. Monica K. - Fairy Tale - Tone is just so exquisite! Touch is really developing. Maybe because of all that free time from retirement? This is just so smoothly played. Maybe the best I've heard from you ever. Great job!

25. Cookie74 - Invention No. 4 in D minor - Great technique! I'm jealous! That kind of legato is perfect for jazz. I need more practice, Looks like you have a couple of years headstart so I'll be challenged to catch up to this tone. smile

27. Bobpickle - June (Barcarolle) Am I reading this right?!!! Eight Months!???? Eight years maybe. This is a staggering sound. Your tone is unbelievable for this time. I'm floored. I'm curious to know your practice regimen. Fantastic performance.

41. Starr Keys - It Goes Like It Goes Starr Keys I love hearing you sing! This is just so wonderful to listen to. Your accompaniment to yourself is perfect. I still remember your wonderful singing from last recital and I was hoping you'd sing again. I wasn't disappointed! Really good arrangement BTW.

#1945803 - 08/19/12 09:27 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Jake S]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Jake S
You picked a corker here. I had never heard of Einaudi before this, but I'm certainly going to seek him out now.

Hang around here long enough and you will hear much more of Enaudi (some would say too much! laugh ). He is my favorite composer for piano, and believe it or not, I'd rank "Fairy Tale" as pretty far down on my rank order list of favorite pieces. Get thee to YouTube and listen to "Divenire," "In un' altra vita," "I giorni," "Le Onde," "Ancora," "Berlin Song," "I due fiumi," "Primavera," "Ascolta," "Dietro Casa," to name just a very few.

The good news is that almost all of his sheet music for solo piano is easily available, and it ranges in difficulty from downright easy to wicked hard, so there's something for everybody. smile

I'm glad I submitted "Fairy Tale," though, because I believe it was the only Einaudi piece in the recital this time. eek We can't have a recital without him!

#1945804 - 08/19/12 09:27 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
LadyChen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
11. Jazztpt. This is stunning and heartwrenching at the same time. I can totally hear this on a flugelhorn (an instrument that makes me weep when played well). Thank you so much for sharing this with us -- it's so obvious when an artist's heart and soul goes into something.

12. (Was)TrueBeginner - Goodnight Kiss. Thank you for sharing this beautiful composition with us -- what a haunting melody you have created.

13. kenjazz - A House Is Not A Home. Very cool -- this makes me want to experiment with Band in a Box. Thanks for the inspiration!

14. Amaruk - Sur le fil. Very beautiful -- Amélie is one of my favorite movies. Thanks for sharing this lovely piece. And good job on all those hand crossings!

15. Sam S - Prelude and Fugue X WTC1. Wow, this is not easy stuff. Nice job here. I like the surprise presto -- good choice. And great job keeping a nice steady tempo with the fugue -- fugues are never easy, 2 voices, 5 voices, they're always tricky smile.

#1945811 - 08/19/12 09:39 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
LadyChen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
16. Peyton - Mazurka. This doesn't sound easy to me! Good job on this -- I don't know if ANY Chopin is easy. Have you ever played any jazz? Some of your RH runs had a nice jazzy quality to them - I enjoyed it.

17. ladypayne. I really enjoyed this. I've heard some of your music in the piano bar, and I really admire your ability to put all these elements together into a beautiful piece of art. This composition reminded me a bit of the soundtrack from The Piano.

18. Riddler (Ed). Haha i enjoyed your story about the piano teacher banning your undignified music! Hats off to you for learning something you've always wanted to learn, and you did a great job of it! No thanks to Mrs Calabash!

19. Greener / Jeff Green - Schindler's List - Theme. I'm amazed at what people can learn from YouTube. Did you have a score at all for this? In any case, lovely job, I enjoyed your expression and sensitivity.

20. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Rigaudon & Entree. Nice job on two classic piano pieces! I especially enjoyed the Leopold Mozart. I'll have to try eating pastries and cafe au lait before my next recording...

#1945855 - 08/19/12 11:15 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
47 DadAgains_Daughter - Invention in F Major, BAch
Beautiful job, DAs Daughter. Beautiful.

48 DadAgain - Prelude and Fugue XX - A minor, Bach
Nice job, DAdAgain. Trills are difficult for me as well.

49 Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Dance of the Blessed Spirits, Christoph Willibald Ritter von Gluck
Nice job sightreading.

50 Falmc - Sweet Sereny, Carlos Mendoza Falmc
Very beautiful piece, Carlos.

51 Clemente - Andalucia, Ernesto Lecuona
Wow, what an impressive piece, Clemente. Once you work on bringing out the melody by quieting those left hand arpeggios a bit this will be even more gorgeous.

52 Norrec (Tim) - Beaming Sunlight, Michiru Oshima
I know what you mean, Tim. I always think my pieces sound good until I listen to the recording. Then I notice every shortcoming - and usually there are plenty. This is not bad at all. Keep learning.

53 notbach - To A Wild Rose, Edward MacDowell
You are not far at all from "standard" interpretation. I have played this off and on since childhood, so I have a fair bit of experience with it. I play at a slightly faster tempo, but I hear nothing much wrong here.

54 lyricmudra - Sheep May Safely Graze (from J.S. Bach's Birthday Cantata), Bach
Your analysis of your playing is pretty good, although the wrong notes are few. You have good control of the trills - that is a trouble spot for me. This is a beautiful piece. I haven't played it since I was a teenager, and that was a long time ago. I need to find the sheets and relearn this myself.

55 RedKat - Waltz, B minor, Op. 69 n. 2, Chopin
Despite your assertions to the contrary I don't really hear much wrong with this performance, RedKat. This is an enjoyable performance.

56 Grouchomarx - Hungarian Rhapsody 2 Lassan (no Friska), Liszt
An impressive performance of a piece I found devilishly difficult when I tried to learn it many years ago. I never got it anywhere near this level before giving it up as beyond me. Today with my slow and slightly arthritic fingers it is WAY out of reach. This is beautiful!

57 Tiago84 - Prelude in E minor (Op28 No4), Chopin
This is a very satisfying performance, Tiago.

58 AndyMc - Riverlights #1
Interesting composition, Andy. Nicely played. iPhone recording is certainly better than one from my LG phone.

59 yohyrral (= Larry Hoy) - Three Themes For Piano, Lawrence Hoy
This is quite beautiful, Larry. Well done.

60 BillM - Try A Little Tenderness, Campbell, Connelly and Woods
I like the way you take this at a nice slow tempo. I used to play it quite a bit faster. It really works at this tempo. Nice job singing and accompanying yourself (as usual).

61 PianoStudent88 = Ivan Sings, Khachaturian
You show great timing and touch on this, PianoStudent88. A very admirable performance.

flickr

#1945913 - 08/20/12 02:24 AM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
31. jotur/Cathy Turner - Dill Pickle Rag - Nice rag, sounded great! I tried my hands at ragtime and it ended in a firey disaster - I'm glad you're picking up the slack! Please keep inspiring me to be the best 29 year old piano player around town! wink

32. TrapperJohn - Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again (from "Phantom...") - Very well done, TJ, and thanks again for exposing me to music that I haven't come across yet!

34. Andy Platt - Prelude in E Minor (Opus 28, No 4) - Well done with this, I think, because I'm seriously depressed after listening to this. Like after I learned that Olympic gold medals aren't gold but thinly plated silver.
But the real gold is revealed when one hears a piece like this. wink

#1945927 - 08/20/12 04:18 AM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Monica K.]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Originally Posted By: Monica K.
Originally Posted By: Jake S
You picked a corker here. I had never heard of Einaudi before this, but I'm certainly going to seek him out now.

(...)
I'm glad I submitted "Fairy Tale," though, because I believe it was the only Einaudi piece in the recital this time. eek We can't have a recital without him!

thumb
Count with me for the next recital!

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#1945958 - 08/20/12 06:43 AM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

More 5 comments:

36. Copper - Ave Maria - Nice piece and good phrasing on this Ave Maria. Good job.

37. Jake S - Ah Vous Dirai-je Maman - Such variations are really pretty. Mozart is great and you did a nice job!

38. Augustina - Touched - This piece was new form me. I like Joe Bongiorno's style. Good job!

39. Sand Tiger - Ashokan Farewell - It's cool to know that you could transcribe this from youtube videos. Another composer new to me: Jay Unger. For someone with your experience it's a really nice job !

40. Serge88 - What'd I say - Serge, it sounds professional! What a great work. Congratulations!

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#1945966 - 08/20/12 07:44 AM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

ladypayne
piece: ladypayne: A New Change
technical:
clipping: no
balance L/R: ok. L channel seems slightly louder but it does not disturb me.
noise: yes some (Interesting that you have a DP yet record analog). Pink noise, some hum, a barking dog in the distance,
bass: not so much
depth of field: confusing: shallow yet quite some echo on the piano sound.
piano sound: DP

musical:
overall impression, like: nice impression of your move to Alaska. Flows nicely. I'm missing a bit of development in the piece, there are new instruments coming in but they play the same melody. Nice photos from the mountains. I hope you bring your piano with you?
Phrasing: clear
rubato, speed changes: not so much
Dynamics: yes a good amount, might also be due to the additional instruments
articulation: most pedal

#1946006 - 08/20/12 09:20 AM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

"Batches of 5" is nice smile

41. Starr Keys - It Goes Like It Goes - Wow, everything is conected with harmony: the video, the singing and the piano. What a great moment. Thanks!

42. CMohr - Imagination - August 9th? This is my birthday too! Happy birthday to your mom and I'm sure she loves to hear this nice and gentle piece. Your arrangement is really nice. Congratulations.

43. ClavBoy - Prelude No. 1 C Major BWV 846 - ClavBoy, any reason for not using the pedal? I think you're already ready with this piece to start pedaling. Apart of that I think you did a nice job;

44. Ken. - Light Blue - I'm not a specialist, but this is a tricky blues piece but you did a nice job. It's really nice to read the story of a piece. btw: I like more the second take just because it sounds more "clean".

45. daveindenton - Theme from Schindler's List - Dave, this is really beautiful. As I said to Jeff Green I loved this melody since the first time I heard it. Plus, I think this piece shows perfectly the skill and the feelings of the interpreter. I think each one plays your way, and the piece is still beautiful.
I promisse I'll learn to play it! I'm curious to see how I'll face it smile

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#1946035 - 08/20/12 10:13 AM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

More 5 comments:

46. MaryBee - Sonata in C minor, K.457, Mvt.1 - Mozart... Motezart... Mot-zart... I've heard of this guy smile
Now serious, this piece brings out the best of your experience and dedication. I think I'll never be able to play such piece with so many technical details and change of rythms. Keep working because this is very, very good!

47. DadAgains_Daughter - Invention in F Major - Hello DadAgains_Daughter. It's always nice to listen your pieces! Keep working because you're in the right way. congratulations.

48. DadAgain - Prelude and Fugue XX - A minor - Hello DadAgains_Daughter Dad, I just realized why your daughter plays Bach so well. It's easy when such good examples are near. I'm not a Bach fan, but this is great!

49. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Dance of the Blessed Spirits - I was intrigued by the name of this piece but I resisted to go look it up on google... For a backup piece I think it's nicely played. Thanks for sharing!

50. Falmc - Sweet Sereny - Falmc, Sereny can only be proud of your work. But what a nice music! Cheerful, fresh, well cadenced and with various instruments. Very good.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#1946140 - 08/20/12 01:10 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

51. Clemente - Andalucía
This piece requires a huge technique, but your interpretation really catches the Andalusian soul of this dance. Great job Clemente, you are really good at playing this music! I’m sure you’d play excellent renditions on the rest of the pieces from this suite.

50. Falmc - Sweet Sereny
Nice song with a beautiful melody. You composed a very emotive work, which is excellently played in your recording. Thanks for sharing it, Falmc.

49. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Dance of the Blessed Spirits
I see you played this piece sight reading. This is really impressive, since this little dance doesn’t seem easy to play. Congrats Mike on your ability.

48. DadAgain - Prelude and Fugue XX - A minor
The prelude is fantastically played, with solid rhythm and clear voices, the ornaments are accurate as well. The fugue is indeed extremely difficult to play, but the different voices are well balanced. I find your rendition is excellent, DadAgain.

47. DadAgains_Daughter - Invention in F Major
Great Bach Nicola!. You played an amazing rendition on this beautiful Invention, with big confidence. Keep working on the piano, you are making evident progresses. I’m looking forward to listening to your next performance.

46. MaryBee - Sonata in C minor, K.457, Mvt.1
I’m glad your teacher wanted you to learn this movement, I love it, and I’ve listened to a marvellous performance with your recording. The melodies and variations are always exposed openly, while the ornaments sound spontaneously. But at the same time your rendition doesn’t abandon the dark character of this movement. Excellent job, Mary!

45. daveindenton - Theme from Schindler's List
Indeed this is a moving song, and your performance is also touching, I especially like how the dynamic is developed in your rendition. You really did a fair job with this song, Daveindenton.

44. Ken. - Light Blue
You always bring to us lesser known music, Ken, but the best thing is your performances are fantastic. I really enjoyed those dissonant sounds in this music. Congrats on your job and thanks for sharing it.

43. ClavBoy - Prelude No. 1 C Major BWV 846
I don’t see this piece is difficult for you, since is played quite natural. I think you made the correct choice avoiding the pedal, in this way this prelude sounds much clearer. Well done, ClavBoy.

42. CMohr - Imagination
Marvellous arrangement and playing! The expression is so constant and firm in every bar, that your interpretation really offers a moving version of this music. Great victory over the blue dot, CMhor wink.

41. Starr Keys - It Goes Like It Goes
Your video is absolutely fantastic, Starr Keys, but your playing and singing are even better. I love how you modulate your voice in every section, while your piano accompanies with huge expression. I really enjoyed your work, Starr Keys.

My website

#1946185 - 08/20/12 02:18 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jazztpt Offline

I enjoyed this Andy , in fact it inspired me to find the music and I have just played (well tried to anyway) my first piece by Chopin, so thanks for that.

35. Newman - Desperado
Great mood you create here Newman and perfect vocal once again on this very well played arrangement.

36. Copper - Ave Maria
Very nice and sweetly played version of Ava Maria.

37. Jake S - Ah Vous Dirai-je Maman
That is a lot of music to remember, very well done and remarkable after only 7 months.

38. Augustina - Touched
I think this is some of the best playing I have heard from you Augustina, lovely sensitive playing of this very pretty piece, excellent.

Piano Recordings

#1946189 - 08/20/12 02:25 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Recaredo]
CMohr Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Oregon
I'm pretty blown away by all the wonderful comments I've received!
Big thank-yous to Bobpickle, Sam S., Cookie74 for listening and commenting on my tune.
Wouter, thank you, as always for your detailed comments. I so very much appreciate the time and thought you put into them.
Andy Platt and AndyMc, such nice comments from you both!

Jazzwee, You always seem to notice things that (maybe) others don't (including myself) about my playing, and I'm so very appreciative of your uplifting comments!
KenJazz, Your comments on my tune lifted my spirits. I'd love to hear the Hamburg Bar background. smile.
Inlanding , As with Jazzwee, it's so good to read what others hear in my playing. I look up to many of you here who are so talented and inspirational to me. I get a lot from you.
BillM, thanks for the nice comments - you are another player I admire.
TX-Dennis, You saying my chords sounded like a jazz guitarist made my day.(Missed you this time around, too!)
JakeS, very astute of you to notice i wasn't completely happy with my recoding. I always feel like I could have done so many things better...well, I am my own worst critic. smile Thanks for the nice comments!
CarlosCC, Happy belated Aug. 9 birthday to you, too! I'm so happy you liked my arrangement!
Recaredo , thank you for your lovely words!

I want to again than everyone involved in putting on the ABF recitals which have helped me immensely. Also, to all of you who comment, thank you for taking the time and writing such kind words. heart They give me inspiration and confidence as I move forward. I feel very lucky to be included in this wonderful group of pianists. I love listening to each one of you!

#1946235 - 08/20/12 03:35 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
ClavBoy Offline

Loc: Germany
Hi,
thanks to all of you commenting on my performance of the Prelude No. 1 C Major BWV 846 so far.
As I'm learning without teacher (I had 4-5 lessons but had to cancel due to job and other issues) it's important to hear whether I'm on the right way or not.

When I decided to learn playing the piano around a year ago, it was this piece I started with only to realize that it is much too difficult for an absolute beginner. Then I practised with the easier stuff but always came back to the Prelude to learn a bit more of the piece. I can still not play it consistently without wrong notes but its getting better. I play it at least once on every practice session to improve it.
For the pedaling: I haven't played with pedal yet but I like it with the "natural" legato and it can be played like that with no need for a pedal. I think the instruments Bach had, even had no pedals.
For the speed: There are so many versions of the Prelude and I have a book with a table of tempi pianists used and there is every speed from very slow to incredibly fast. I like the medium speed I played it.

Again: thanks for all your comments. My piece for the next recital will be much shorter and easier!

Edited by ClavBoy (08/20/12 03:37 PM)

Working on:
Schumann: From Foreign Lands and Countries, op. 15; Burgmller op. 100, Arabesque; Tchaikovsky op. 39 no. 15, Italian Song

Dreaming of:
Some Scott Joplin pieces i.e. Bethena. Still years to go for that...
Satie: Gnossienne No. 1. Maybe a bit earlier

#1946238 - 08/20/12 03:37 PM Re: Recital #27 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
More random comments...

#3. Ben. A very beautiful piece and very sensitively played.

#6. Mr SuperHunky, so do you just listen to the song over and over until you have figured out the chords and melody? Pretty friggin good. The "noodle method" huh? Next thing you know you will be advertising it on the forum; "SuperHunks Noodle Method online instructional video".

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Von fremden Lndern und Menschen tempo
by hreichgott
Yesterday at 10:43 PM
Another Kawai ES7 warning
by bjorn of brekkukot
Yesterday at 08:41 PM
Olga Vinokur, Piano Concert Nov. 9, Lowell, MA
by Piano World
Yesterday at 08:21 PM
Yamaha P155 synth/midi question
by sdrep
Yesterday at 07:36 PM
Pianist, Dutch magazine - nr 2 release 31 oct
by Johan B
Yesterday at 06:30 PM
Who's Online
106 registered (anotherscott, Anne'sson, AZNpiano, AnimistFvR, 26 invisible), 1736 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76724 Members
42 Forums
158658 Topics
2330037 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission