Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1945381 - 08/19/12 09:21 AM Another sensastional but barely mentioned pianist
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I heard Nikita Magaloff for the first time yesterday. Anyone heard him in recordings or live?

A few YouTube videos:

Weber/Tausig:Invitation to the Dance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MVEPJt224M

Haydn: Sonata in C No.48
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXAlzGwpf14

Levitzki:Arabesque Valsante(i like this better tha Levitzki's own recording)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ3hxdg8qJQ

Chopin:Waltz Op.18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laKofNLGOFc&feature=relmfu

Chopin:Mazurkas Op.41
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgCi5h70tn4&feature=relmfu

Liszt:La Chasse, Arpeggio Etudes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laKofNLGOFc&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-mvqeIWy1A

Strauss/Grunfeld: Geschichten aus dem Wienerwald
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gup1Sa0Cl...re=results_main

What do you think?

Edited by pianoloverus (08/20/12 09:44 AM)

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1945523 - 08/19/12 01:08 PM Re: Another sensastional but barely mentioned pianist [Re: pianoloverus]
Tim Adrianson Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

You're right -- I've never heard of him before, although pretty clearly he was a contemporary of Arrau, Schnabel, Brailowsky, and other pianists who were better known at that time. I liked everything I heard, although I was most taken by "La Chasse" -- nice to hear Liszt sound charming! His presentations are clean as a whistle, aristocratic, rich -- from the European old-school, loaded with wisdom and grace. Thanks for sharing these!

#1945965 - 08/20/12 07:35 AM Re: Another sensastional but barely mentioned pianist [Re: pianoloverus]
Gerard12 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: South Carolina
Thanks for posting these, pianoloverus.

(A great start to my morning.)

Ditto to everything Tim posted.....

#1947337 - 08/22/12 04:27 PM Re: Another sensastional but barely mentioned pianist [Re: pianoloverus]
babama Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
He slaughtered some etudes from Scriabin Op. 8 but I guess I'll have a listen.

Edited by babama (08/22/12 04:28 PM)

#1947650 - 08/23/12 05:31 AM Re: Another sensastional but barely mentioned pianist [Re: pianoloverus]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus

I know I've been listening to a lot of Chopin and Liszt as of late, but is it just me, or do these two pieces sound startlingly similar wink

#1947669 - 08/23/12 07:36 AM Re: Another sensastional but barely mentioned pianist [Re: babama]

Originally Posted By: babama
I'm sure he'd be thrilled by your generosity.

#1947697 - 08/23/12 08:26 AM Re: Another sensastional but barely mentioned pianist [Re: pianoloverus]
SlatterFan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton, UK
Around 15 years ago I was browsing through Chopin CDs in a store and came across a Philips collection of Nikita Magaloff playing the Preludes and Impromptus, recorded in the mid-1970s. I remembered the name from a Lipatti biography, where Lipatti had described Magaloff as a "very talented young pianist" in a letter to a friend. (According to Wikipedia, Magaloff took over Lipatti's teaching post at the Geneva Conservatory when Lipatti died.)

While I get more from Cortot than Magaloff in the preludes, Magaloff's playing is always tasteful and charming, and I love the spontaneity of his Impromptu in F sharp major (#2, Opus 36), which in my opinion is a magical performance worth the price of the whole CD. Thanks for posting these; I'll listen this evening.

#1947767 - 08/23/12 10:46 AM Re: Another sensastional but barely mentioned pianist [Re: Bobpickle]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: Bobpickle

I know I've been listening to a lot of Chopin and Liszt as of late, but is it just me, or do these two pieces sound startlingly similar wink

I guess, with a little imagination, one could see some vague similarities between the two, don't you think? smile

#1947784 - 08/23/12 11:22 AM Re: Another sensastional but barely mentioned pianist [Re: pianoloverus]
rada Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: pagosa springs,co
I liked the Levitzki piece. It would have been nice to watch his natural movements playing....his sound and touch are clean.

rada

#1947811 - 08/23/12 12:13 PM Re: Another sensastional but barely mentioned pianist [Re: Bobpickle]

I know I've been listening to a lot of Chopin and Liszt as of late, but is it just me, or do these two pieces sound startlingly similar
I think the only similarity is in the rhythm...two eighths followed by a quarter being prevalent in both.

#1947814 - 08/23/12 12:17 PM Re: Another sensastional but barely mentioned pianist [Re: pianoloverus]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA

I know I've been listening to a lot of Chopin and Liszt as of late, but is it just me, or do these two pieces sound startlingly similar
I think the only similarity is in the rhythm...two eighths followed by a quarter being prevalent in both.

b.p. was having some fun... click on the Chopin link in your OP. smile

-J

#1947857 - 08/23/12 01:21 PM Re: Another sensastional but barely mentioned pianist [Re: pianoloverus]
babama Offline
500 Post Club Member

I see my comment annoyed you. When I was discovering the Op. 8 set I happened to listen to his recordings (among other pianists) and No. 4 and especially No. 5 are so terribly played that I couldn't believe it was recorded by a professional pianist. So yes, I'm being quite generous when I give this pianist another chance.

#1947876 - 08/23/12 01:41 PM Re: Another sensastional but barely mentioned pianist [Re: babama]

I see my comment annoyed you. When I was discovering the Op. 8 set I happened to listen to his recordings (among other pianists) and No. 4 and especially No. 5 are so terribly played that I couldn't believe it was recorded by a professional pianist. So yes, I'm being quite generous when I give this pianist another chance.
Your thoughts about his slaughtering some Etudes are only your opinion although you state them as fact. I listened to those two etudes and while I didn't love his performances, I would hardly use the words you did and certainly not follow them up with the contemptuous "I guess I'll have a listen."

I assume pianists with world wide careers usually have something to say and don't write them off if I find a few of their recordings are unappealing. From Wikipedia(with some parts in bold to compare with your own pianistic achievement/knowledge):

Nikita Magaloff (Russian: Никита Магалов) (21 February [O.S. 8 February] 1912 – 26 December 1992) was a Georgian-Russian pianist.

He was born in Saint Petersburg to a Georgian noble family named Maghalashvili. Magaloff and his family left Russia in 1918 for Finland. His musical interest first stimulated by family friend Serge Prokofiev, he studied with Alexander Siloti [/i]before going to Paris, where [b]he studied with Isidor Philipp, chair of the piano department at the Paris Conservatory. He numbered Ravel among his friends there, who, when he graduated in 1929, said 'In Magaloff a great, a truly extraordinary musician is born.'

He was best known for his espousal of the music of Chopin, and was accustomed to perform the complete piano works in series of six recitals.[2] He recorded the complete works - the first time anyone had done so. While these recordings have been criticised for their failure to plumb the depths of Chopin's works, they were innovative for their textual fidelity and unsentimentality. Magaloff, for example, preferred and recorded Chopin's own manuscript versions of the waltzes rather than the familiar versions published posthumously by Julian Fontana.

His interpretations of Mendelssohn are also striking, finding a vein of melancholy that is often missed.

Magaloff's playing carried the hallmarks of Philipp's elegant, refined style, though he himself rejected the sentimental interpretations of Philipp's generation (he was especially critical of Paderewski whom he believed had "falsified Chopin"). He once described himself to the critic and writer Piero Rattalino as 'a vieux style pianist'.

His playing, however, underwent a change in his later years, becoming more passionate, daring and challenging. He remarked, in an interview with Eugenio Scalfari "at the age of seventy, I have come to the conclusion that only the sentiment and fear of death can induce an immoderate passion for life." His last recordings bear eloquent tribute to this 'immoderate passion for life'.

In 1949 he took over his friend and colleague Dinu Lipatti's master class at the Geneva Conservatory after Lipatti's premature death. He continued regular teaching until 1960, when the demands of his concert career took priority, and he toured in the United States, South America, Japan, Israel, South Africa, and throughout Europe including Russia and Scandinavia. He still gave occasional master-classes, and took part in juries at international piano concours.[3] Among his many pupils were the pianists Martha Argerich, Maria Tipo, Ingrid Haebler and Valery Sigalevitch, and the organist Lionel Rogg.

Nikita Magaloff was married to Irene, the daughter of the violinist Joseph Szigeti with whom he had established his international reputation in concerts before the war interrupted his career.[4] He died in Vevey, Switzerland on 26 December 1992.

Edited by pianoloverus (08/23/12 03:01 PM)

#1989638 - 11/22/12 01:43 AM Re: Another sensastional but barely mentioned pianist [Re: pianoloverus]
redrobin62 Offline

I recently acquired the Complete Piano Works of Chopin as performed by Magaloff. I'm beyond thrilled listening to them. The piano sounds rich, full and well balanced. Magaloff has a lithe touch when needed and forceful when called for. I enjoy his playing immensely. I'm listening to the Mazurkas, Op. 17 as we speak. Charming, indeed.
Pignose acoustic

#1989781 - 11/22/12 01:02 PM Re: Another sensastional but barely mentioned pianist [Re: pianoloverus]
Cheeto717 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Love the Levitzki. I've always had a strange obsession with waltzes and I love the Levitzki waltzes as much as the Chopin waltzes.
Brahms: Op. 120
Chopin: Op. 10

#1989883 - 11/22/12 06:33 PM Re: Another sensastional but barely mentioned pianist [Re: pianoloverus]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I saw/heard him perform Gaspard de la nuit/Liszt sonata/Schubert impromtus, I was 14, one of the deepest impacts a concert made on me, ever. I cherish his influence on me wanting to do the same.

Couperin pices, Ravel tombeau de C

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
95 registered (Allard, anotherscott, 36251, andwi, albumblatter, 26 invisible), 1472 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156302 Topics
2295494 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Birthday torquenale !!!!
by CarlosCC
9 minutes 41 seconds ago
compositional methods
by Michael Sayers
32 minutes 31 seconds ago
Happy Birthday earlofmar !!!!
by CarlosCC
Today at 04:49 AM
Tight Key ??
by moy71
Today at 01:15 AM
Learning progress
by sunnyday
Today at 01:10 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission