2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
JcKeys Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I Recently got the Sp-170S. I returned it, bocz the keys were making clicking sounds. Very Annoying while playing forte phrases. Then i got the Sp-250. The RH3 action feels firm to play on. The sounds are also great, with a good metronome sound for practice.

But the SP-250 has some serious issues playing softer (p & pp) phrases. Btw some lower velocity range, it triggers a muted, staccato like piano sample & believe me for a pianist it is very ANNOYING. It's like you play a legato phrase & if you aren't hitting the keys hard enough, you are likely to hear some short length notes (like; theres is no decay or release on those notes).

I would really request to people who are buying the KORG SP-250 to play it for a while with Headphones & play @ different dynamics.
I checked this with LP-350 too, and it too has that issue.

I wish to return this DP and check the Yamaha P-155. If the exchange doesn't work out, then the only solution i have is to attach a sampler/laptop and use an external Piano Library.

Korg Triton Studio, Yamaha P-105, MM6, PortaSound PSS-460 / Roland XP-60, SH-2000, Sonic Cell
Akai APC40 / M-Audio Oxygen 8 / Novation Remote SL Zero / Behringer FCB 1010 / Casio VL-Tone / Arturia 32-Key Anlog Factory / CME X-Keys.

Known issue with RH3 keyed. See past discussions on here re Kronos 73 and 88. Korg are offering fixes on those. Not sure about the situation with other models though.

Live: Casio PX-5S | Hammond SK1
Studio: Yamaha CP4 | Hammond SK2 | Kurzweil PC361 | Moog Sub 37
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Do the new Kronos models included the fixed keybed?

...I'm still waiting for the SV-2, by the way, although I have a sneaky suspicion that my next board will be a Nord Electro 4D 73-key, once it's announced at NAMM 2013.

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
B
B
I had the SP250 and indeed, their p and pp range is lacking - more a change in the volume of the sound than in the timber, and even so you can't really get a barely there sound. However, you can connect it to a computer and play a software piano to fix this.

Please remember that Ivory I, long considered *the best* VST out there, had the same problem with the pp and ppp range. So maybe it was the way they did samples at that time.

But RM3 remains a very good action for its price.

old Gaveau upright & Kawai CA63; previously Korg SP250
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I thought the RH3 problems with the Kronos we're mainly a problem with one , or a few batches of the keybeds. Never heard of any pre-Kronos instruments to have the same flaw. Also later batches seem to be good. So between the introduction of the Kronos and a certain serial number you're doomed, but before and after that I assume the RH3 based Korgs are fine. Correct me if I'm wrong. I also understood problematic keybeds are replaced under warranty, no questions asked. Hope that is a home service (don't have to send in your 88key Kronos flagship).

The nord d4 is indeed a cool beast. Wonder what the 73 will bring keybed wise : what if they ditched Fatar as supplier and got the vax77 keybed inside. Now that would be a deam come true ;-)

Last edited by JFP; 08/19/12 02:49 PM.
C
C
Hi and thanks for the tip - I have just bought a SP250 - the A above middle C was intemittant and sent it in for repairs. $40 charged. The Speakers don't work and got a quote here in South Africa for them to import a part from Japan for $50. AAs I'm taking Piano to a 6 month gig in UAE in 10 days time I will replace on my return. Will listen to maine tomorrow when I pick it up and let you know if I have the same problem.
Thanks, Clive

Keyboard Player/Bass Guitarist(Pop Rock Disco Jazz Fusion)until 1985. Also Session Singer in Johannesburg. Praise & Worship Leader till 1996.Rhema Music Ministry in 1997-2001 on Keyboards )Full-Time Music Director at CRC Church,Bloemfontein,2001-09. Returned from Abu Dhabi(Hilton)with 3Piece Band.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission