Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
114 registered (36251, Anita Potter, angga888, ando, Adypiano, 32 invisible), 1363 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1946024 - 08/20/12 09:54 AM Looking for new headphones, what do you recommend?
Kawaifan Offline

Hello

Currently I own a Kawai CA-13. I also received a Koss UR/10 headphone for free with this piano.
I am not satisfied with the sound of these headphones. Yesterday I compared it to the Yamaha HPE-150 headphone (which looks like a cheap walkman headphone from the ninetees). To my big surprise this Yamaha sounded much more clear and loud. It also resembled the normal sound of the piano more than the Koss.
I want to buy it just for the better sound it makes, it costs about 69 euros here.
I also tried a Roland and Audiotechnica, but this cheap looking Yamaha sounded much better.

What do you recommend? What is a good headphone which matches with my Kawai CA-13?

Edited by Kawaifan (08/20/12 09:56 AM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#1946034 - 08/20/12 10:10 AM Re: Looking for new headphones, what do you recommend? [Re: Kawaifan]
McBuster Online   content

Loc: St Paul Minnesota USA
Try the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro.

I am really happy with them ...

Kawai CA95
Sailor, Consultant, Gourmet, Dreamer

#1946049 - 08/20/12 10:35 AM Re: Looking for new headphones, what do you recommend? [Re: Kawaifan]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
The Sennheiser HD598 is what I use everyday and it really is a great headset.

Whatever you decide to buy be sure you can return it. You really have to live with headphones for more than several days before you can make an unbiased decision.

A good set of headphones will make everything sound natural because hopefully the headphones themselves will have a relatively flat frequency response.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1946072 - 08/20/12 11:12 AM Re: Looking for new headphones, what do you recommend? [Re: Kawaifan]
Vectistim Offline

Loc: Reading, UK
I'll second the HD598. These are really comfortable and you can wear them for hours at a time if you want. They're 'open' which means you get some noise leakage but it helps give a more realistic sound. They seem to get a lot more detail out of the sound that I didn't know was there before. I will often use at times of the day when there's no reason to do so. You can use them for other things too - eg: when watching a film you get a really immersive sound.

#1946073 - 08/20/12 11:13 AM Re: Looking for new headphones, what do you recommend? [Re: Kawaifan]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

There have been a number of extensive threads on headphones here in recent months, you may want to search them out for a lot of detailed suggestions.

#1946108 - 08/20/12 12:24 PM Re: Looking for new headphones, what do you recommend? [Re: Kawaifan]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
anotherscott is right. Do the search. There are many threads on this topic.

I would add this: The discussion doesn't really matter. No words can properly describe headphone sounds. And even if that were possible, it still doesn't matter: You have to satisfy yourself by trying some phones and picking those that you like.

Your opinion matters. No one else can provide a relevant opinion.

#1946576 - 08/21/12 08:45 AM Re: Looking for new headphones, what do you recommend? [Re: Kawaifan]
Deffie Offline

It would also help to know your general budget. Sennheiser HD600s are excellent (and a bit more neutral than the 598 I believe) but that doesn't do you any good if you only want to spend 50 euros.

Alternately, I suppose the headphone answer to everything is Stax SR-009 with a Blue Hawaii amp if you have the money smile

You may also find http://www.head-fi.org/ useful.

#1946614 - 08/21/12 10:27 AM Re: Looking for new headphones, what do you recommend? [Re: Kawaifan]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
I never liked the Koss phones.

There are a whole series (DTX-series) of Beyerdynamic phones in the $60 to $100 range. That translates to about 50 to 80 Euros.

Amazon has them, with free shipping.

#1947582 - 08/22/12 11:29 PM Re: Looking for new headphones, what do you recommend? [Re: Kawaifan]
origen Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
Beyerdynamic DT880 pros, semi open, neutral, warm and verrry comfortable, got mine for $190, you can wear them for hours and not get fatigued and they wont sweat your ears. Such a nice clear and open soundstage. I love mine!

#1948013 - 08/23/12 05:37 PM Re: Looking for new headphones, what do you recommend? [Re: Kawaifan]
BaR Offline

I have the Audio-Technica ATH-M50S Pro Mixing and Monitoring headphones. Flat response, comfortable and found them online for way less than $100 USD.

Another "studio standard" headphone is the AKG K 240.

Good luck.

#1971189 - 10/10/12 07:10 AM Re: Looking for new headphones, what do you recommend? [Re: Kawaifan]
Kawaifan Offline

My Koss UR/10 headphone has lost volume at he left side. So now I have to look for another headphone.
Because Yamaha has a clear and crisp sound which suits a pianosound in my opinion, these two headphones I am interested in right now:

The first one is the Yamaha RH5MA which costs 63 euros, the second one is the Yamaha HPE170 with a pricetag of 119 euros, twice as much.

Is anyone familiar with these headphones?

Edited by Kawaifan (10/10/12 07:16 AM)

#1971206 - 10/10/12 08:15 AM Re: Looking for new headphones, what do you recommend? [Re: Kawaifan]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I only buy headphones where there cables can be easily replaced. You might want to factor that into your decision making proces

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1971209 - 10/10/12 08:28 AM Re: Looking for new headphones, what do you recommend? [Re: Kawaifan]
Vectistim Offline

Loc: Reading, UK
Do you need them to be closed? Generally at any given price point an open option will give better sound than a closed option.

#1971216 - 10/10/12 08:42 AM Re: Looking for new headphones, what do you recommend? [Re: Kawaifan]
Deffie Offline

In general I'd stay away from Yamaha headphones (especially at that price). There are quite a number of very well-regarded headphone companies discussed continually at head-fi.org but I don't think I've ever seen Yamaha brought up (other than some of their vintage orthos).

Yamaha makes good instruments, but my expectation is that their headphones are a "me too" reaction since they make digital instruments, and I wouldn't expect them to sound any good.

With that said, if you have the chance to listen to them and like them then go for it, but if you want closed cans you should at least also check out Audio Technica ATH-M50, Shure SRH-440 and SRH-840 (and I'm sure there are other good options, that's just off the top of my head, personally I use the Shure 840s). And if you don't need closed then there are many more options as well (try some Grado SR60s if possible and some Sennheisers).

#1971225 - 10/10/12 09:30 AM Re: Looking for new headphones, what do you recommend? [Re: Kawaifan]
dewster Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: Kawaifan
The first one is the Yamaha RH5MA which costs 63 euros, the second one is the Yamaha HPE170 with a pricetag of 119 euros, twice as much.

Is anyone familiar with these headphones?

I used a pair of RH5M's as my knock-around, listen-to-music-at-work-every-now-and-then headphones. Too much bass, I ended up partially taping over the slit openings to fix that. The pleather ear coverings rotted away after several years, but after an unsuccessful attempt at repair and I got rid of them. Fairly horrible sound, not worth $10 IMO, stay away.

I can recommend Audio Technica ATH AD700, very comfortable, good balanced sound.

#1971361 - 10/10/12 02:40 PM Re: Looking for new headphones, what do you recommend? [Re: Kawaifan]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Yamaha 'phones are rubbish. The top Roland ones are re-branded decent Sonys (but even then hardly class-leading). The DP makers that put their names to headphones are buying in mediocre generic headphones and putting their name on them and then charging a vast mark-up. Avoid.

There's many good headphones out there. But it's a very personal choice - as much for wearing comfort as for sound - so recommendations from others are only worth so much. You really need to try them yourself.

All that said, you can't usually go wrong with sensible Sennheiser! I no longer own any Senns but I've had many years out of good ones in the past.

Good luck,

Steve

#1971509 - 10/10/12 07:34 PM Re: Looking for new headphones, what do you recommend? [Re: Kawaifan]
BrokenChord Offline

Loc: Michigan
Is it bad that Im using a pair of $35 SkullCandy headphones for my keyboard? I love SkullCandy, great value for what you pay.

#1971639 - 10/11/12 01:45 AM Re: Looking for new headphones, what do you recommend? [Re: Kawaifan]
jhm Offline

Loc: Sweden
If you want really good build quality I can recommend AKG. I have myself ordered a pair of K240 MkII, that is hopefully coming in this week. http://www.akg.com/site/products/powerslave,id,1063,nodeid,2,_language,EN.html

Regarding the discussion about Yamaha headphones. I got a pair of Yamaha Orthodynamic headphones from my father when I was around 3-4 years (in the late seventies) old, the HP-2 model @150 Ohm and they are still as good as when I got them. smile

#1971642 - 10/11/12 02:17 AM Re: Looking for new headphones, what do you recommend? [Re: Kawaifan]
EO3 Offline

I have Sony MDR 7506 Studio Professional. But they are closed. However, the sound is really nice.

#1971654 - 10/11/12 03:38 AM Re: Looking for new headphones, what do you recommend? [Re: BrokenChord]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: BrokenChord
Is it bad that Im using a pair of $35 SkullCandy headphones for my keyboard? I love SkullCandy, great value for what you pay.

Not bad. But Skull Candy, Beats, Dr Dre and similar all 'colour' the sound.

#1971668 - 10/11/12 04:30 AM Re: Looking for new headphones, what do you recommend? [Re: Kawaifan]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

@Kawaifan,

I happen to have the Sennheiser HD-518's, which can be had for $130 from amazon.com.

Very good ambience, as they are an "open" (not closed) pair.

#1972177 - 10/12/12 04:15 AM Re: Looking for new headphones, what do you recommend? [Re: pv88]
Verix Offline

I think the ideal budget solution would be Sennheiser 280 Pro's like mentioned before. One step above those would be Sennheiser 558's which sound more detailed, or even better 598's which boast a pretty immersive sound but start to get pretty expensive. Beyerdynamics' headphones could be good alternatives, but the Senn's are especially superb for piano/classical; the Beyers might be better all-rounders (depending on taste!!). Sennheiser sounds pretty laid-back and enjoyable, Beyer sounds more "made-to-impress" and real. Grado headphones are known to be very "fun" headphones, but can sound a little harsh over time. Skull Candy/ Beats/ Wesc are fashion statements. They sound OK at best and are not made to last, but rather to appeal to consumer tendencies. Bose lies somewhere in between, they aren't worth their price card in my humble opinion but certainly sound better than the latter mentioned. What Bose does best is noise cancelling/isolation, whether that's worth big $$$ is up to you.

Ideally, if you don't care about the money the AKG 701 or 702 (same thing but with user replacable cable) have a very detailed and natural sound. I would recommend these if you aren't too picky about fatigue, since with these phones they sound very REAL, myself I couldn't wear these for hours since my ears tire. If you know your ears quickly start hurting while listening to music for a really long time, don't pick these; otherwise the AKG's are an excellent choice. Another thing is that the AKG's might sound bad until they have had music played through them for at least 30 to 50 hours (this is called burn-in).
So I picked the Sennheiser 600/650 line, both are great but I found the 650's second-hand for a great price. These headphones are REALLY non-fatiguing and super comfortable (the AKG's are more comfortable for people with smaller heads, these Senn's are great for people with normal to slightly larger heads), since I have bought them I easily wear them 3 hours a day. The 600's are a tiny bit more detailed and natural, while the 650's have a bit more of bass which makes them better for more genres and movies.
Currently the 650 is rated #3 headphone all-around at head-fi (with $1000+ headphones at #1 and #2).

There's still more brands I haven't mentioned yet like Shure, Denon, Audio Technica, ... (I had my ATH-AD70 for over 3 years, they sound so awesome for their price but aren't well matched with a digital piano, but superb with music/movies although shy on bass; my 650's have permanently replaced these). Head-fi.org is great to read up on headphones, amazon reviews offer honest information just as well.
Ebay often has killer deals on barely used gear.

EDIT: I have sold my HD650's in favor to the AKG Q701 which is my favorite headphone yet, especially for classical(piano). The headband isn't the most comfortable out there, though. If you have the dough, the K702-65th anniversary limited edition is basically the best-in-line and extra comfortable.

Edited by Verix (11/17/12 10:44 AM)

#1972224 - 10/12/12 08:46 AM Re: Looking for new headphones, what do you recommend? [Re: Kawaifan]
Deffie Offline

Hello fellow Head-fi'er

I agree with most everything you've said, but would like to point out that the Shure SRH840s are actually usually considered more detailed and neutral than 'fun'

For me they've worked out as an excellent piano headphone.

Also definitely agree about the HD600/HD650; I had the HD600 for a while and they were excellent. I would still have them now if I hadn't upgraded.

#1972252 - 10/12/12 10:06 AM Re: Looking for new headphones, what do you recommend? [Re: Verix]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Sennheiser sounds pretty laid-back and enjoyable, Beyer sounds more "made-to-impress" and real. Shure headphones are known to be very "fun" headphones, but can sound a little harsh over time.

I have absolutely no idea what laid-back or made-to-impress means when describing sound.

The thought occurred to me that this was written by an audiophile and that was confirmed when I read further down about the process of burning in.

When it comes to music, we can communicate better using musical terms ... when it comes to audio, my money is on using audio terms. Headphone frequency response can be measured.

Having said that, I rather enjoy the discussions on extremely expensive audio cable. smile

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1972256 - 10/12/12 10:19 AM Re: Looking for new headphones, what do you recommend? [Re: Kawaifan]
Deffie Offline

Laid back - Typically a more pleasant 'warm' sound that can be listened to for long periods of time without fatigue. For frequency response these would usually have some amount of bass to midrange emphasis and relatively less treble (or at least no harsh treble spikes).

Made-to-impress - Not entirely sure about this one, sorry smile

And yes, frequency response can be measured but there are a lot of other factors that affect sound as well so while it's useful, it doesn't tell you everything you might want to know about a headphone on its own (such as how fast a headphone responds or how well-damped it is).

#1972757 - 10/13/12 12:53 PM Re: Looking for new headphones, what do you recommend? [Re: Kawaifan]
TheExodu5 Offline

Beyers, at least the 770, are very bassy, with a recessed midrange and a peak in the treble. I wouldn't recommend them for piano. I haven't heard the 880 though..they may very well be good for the piano.

I'm using AKG K702, and they're pretty fantastic, though they're certainly not warm like the Sennheisers. They do have great transparency though, which means the headphones just kind of disappear and it's like you're hearing a piano in front of you. My only problem with them is the stock headband isn't that comfortable.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Veritune and rescaling
by kennyz
12/21/14 09:29 AM
Never thought it would end up at that instrument ...
by fatast
12/21/14 05:45 AM
Is Yelp reliable for evaluating piano stores?
by Le Chiffre
12/21/14 02:08 AM
Guide to Teaching
by Arghhh
12/21/14 12:39 AM
Making a New York Steinway sound like a Hamburg Steinway
by nphase
12/20/14 10:24 PM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160033 Topics
2350121 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission