Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1946243 - 08/20/12 03:38 PM Value of a Mason & Hamlin Upright
Paul Piedra Offline

Loc: United States
Let me start by saying I really don't know much about pianos. I'm looking to determine what the value of a M&H would be to see if it's worth keeping. After doing a little research, it seems to be a great brand. I think the serial number is G10661 which would make it from somewhere in 1890s (but it doesn't look it). It's the only number I can find on it (it was on the inside). There were also a bunch of hand written dates from the early to mid 60s inside as well.

All I am looking for is a guestamate to see if it's worth trying to sell (and sell as is). The reason is that this is from the mother of a friend. It's kind of a long story, but I will try to keep is short so you understand where I a coming from (so please read if you can). The mother broke her hip, and will now be staying with her daughter. It turns out she hasn't paid her taxes in years and is probably going to lose the house (Yonkers, NY). It also turns out that she is a hoarder (like the TV show if you ever saw it). So, more than likely the house will be taken very shortly (probably weeks). To me it looks like it's in pretty decent shape. All the keys seem to play (a few key tops are missing) and it doesn't sound bad (but I play guitar, not piano). The inside is seems very clean. The exterior is pretty good (but one side looks like it's missing some veneer). I couldn't take a picture because there is so much crap around it I couldn't get far enough away to take one (not even enough room to move it to see the back).

The question is, is this some we should try to sell, or just leave it behind and let it hit the dumpster (I hate to waste a nice instrument). The place is such a mess that it would take a good day in order to clear a path large enough to get it out the front door. And I don't think I could have anyone really take a look at it because you literally need to climb over crap to get to it. Below is a link to a picture of something close to it that I found on-line if that helps. It has the fold down music holder, but I don't remember if it had recessed panels or not.

http://www.countrypiano.com/showroom/mason-hamlin/MasonUprightvicjob.htm

Sorry, for rambling so long, but any opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Paul.

Attachments
MnH 1896 vitorian upright.jpg

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1946249 - 08/20/12 03:47 PM Re: Value of a Mason & Hamlin Upright [Re: Paul Piedra]
Pianolance Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Nashville, TN
It would probably be worth your effort, however, condition is everything. If it needs significant reconditioning it might not be worth it. You can expect to pay about $200 to get it moved, so if you want to sell it, that will figure in. You will be able to sell it at a price based upon condition. You are correct that the Mason and Hamlin piano in general is very well thought of, but there are a lot of variables here.

#1946279 - 08/20/12 04:35 PM Re: Value of a Mason & Hamlin Upright [Re: Paul Piedra]
Bob M Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Paul,
Clear enough space around it to take a good picture, and put it on Craigslist for a low price or best offer. Perhaps you can attract that person who is looking for a piano from the "Golden age" to tinker with. Better that than leaving it for the trash hauler. Sounds like you are going to be under pressure to clean out the house on a deadline (no fun, my wife and I had to do that in January of this year).

Charles Walter Model 1520
Yamaha NP 30, NP 11, PSR E333

#1946303 - 08/20/12 05:18 PM Re: Value of a Mason & Hamlin Upright [Re: Paul Piedra]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Welcome to the Piano World forums!

A quick story about a Mason & Hamlin model 50 upright.

About a year ago, I saw an ad on Craigslist for a 1950’s Mason & Hamlin model 50 upright for $900. It caught my attention and was not too far from my location; so, I called the owner to ask about the piano. The owner said it had been in his family since it was new and his uncle was the last owner and he had recently passed away and the piano came to him. He said he did not play and did not have room for it and had it stored in his garage.

Although I did not need another piano, I decided this might be something worth buying as an investment and offered the promise of another exciting piano adventure. So, I scheduled a time to go look at the piano the next day. When I arrived at the owner’s house, he had the piano in his garage, as he stated, under a quilt. I thought to myself, whatever was under that quilt looked a lot shorter than 50”. When he removed the quilt, it was a Mason & Hamlin upright alright, but a 36” spinet. During our phone conversation, I failed to ask the details about the height of the piano and assumed that a M&H model 50 was 50” tall… I am not aware of any other M&H model 50 that is not 50” tall.

Needless to say, I was disappointed and told the owner that I was not interested in the spinet, even though it was a M&H. I think we were both disappointed.

It was not the first wild goose chase I had been on, and probably won’t be the last. smile

Good luck with your M&H piano.

Rick

#1946650 - 08/21/12 12:18 PM Re: Value of a Mason & Hamlin Upright [Re: Paul Piedra]
Paul Piedra Offline

Loc: United States
Thanks for the opionions. I did call a local dealer/repair company and they said due to the age, it's not something they would take (even for free). I will probably call a few more local shops to see what they have to say. But it does look like we got a reprieve from forclosure, so we may have a few months to get things cleaned up. Hopefully we can get it cleaned up enough to have a tech take a look at it. (My main goal is to just save a fine instrument from the wrecking ball). I will post pics when I get a chance to to take some.

Any more opinions would still be appreciated.
Thanks, Paul.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
103 registered (accordeur, AndrewJCW, Alex1, AndresD, Anne'sson, 30 invisible), 1533 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156077 Topics
2291952 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Installed an LX system on my Baldwin C
by SpectrumMan
43 seconds ago
Join the false-beat revolution: get your wires straight!!!
by A443
Yesterday at 11:15 PM
What brand of solid string to use?
by Grandpianoman
Yesterday at 10:38 PM
"Rhodes" sound -- variation with volume?
by Charles Cohen
Yesterday at 08:59 PM
That last 10%
by gooddog
Yesterday at 08:24 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission