Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1434251 - 05/11/10 08:43 AM piano pedal extender
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Kentucky
If I get a piano pedal extender, it seems I will not need to purchase an adjustable footrest. Unless I'm missing something. Do you recommend having both?

Any problems with pedal extenders that I should be aware of? CPS Imports has a piano pedal extender for the sale price of $129.99 and free shipping. So it seems like the time to make a purchase. Any advice?

"She played upon her music box
a fancy air by chance,
And straightaway all her polka dots
began a lively dance."
-- Peter Newell

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1434277 - 05/11/10 09:24 AM Re: piano pedal extender [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Ann, I have found this to be about as good as they get. There are a couple of comments in other threads about pedal extenders, if you do a search.

There is plenty of room for students to rest their feet near the pedals (aside) properly, so nothing else is really necessary.

#1434358 - 05/11/10 11:26 AM Re: piano pedal extender [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

John, thanks for your response. I've looked over the PE-2...good to know it's highly recommended. It's also helpful to know that the pedal extender will also work as a foot rest.

a fancy air by chance,
began a lively dance."
-- Peter Newell

#1434383 - 05/11/10 12:05 PM Re: piano pedal extender [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

John, I took your advice. Just ordered the PE-2. Decided to go with top of the line instead of the OK bargain. I know I'll be happy with the purchase! smile

a fancy air by chance,
began a lively dance."
-- Peter Newell

#1434393 - 05/11/10 12:25 PM Re: piano pedal extender [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
howardc64 Offline

Loc: Sammamish WA
Was just researching this. My son is not yet tall enough to sit properly on the bench (with forearm parallel to the floor) and reach the pedals. But the music he is playing now require pedal usage.

I guess pedal extender is the only solution?

#1434507 - 05/11/10 03:06 PM Re: piano pedal extender [Re: howardc64]
pianofossil Offline

Loc: New Jersey
My daughter used a couple of PE-2s for about two years. For the first one, the bolt on that tightens the adjustable prop would come loose after arouond 100 - 200 presses of the pedal and the pedal would collapse. I had to duct tape it in her recitals to avoid any accidents like this. We replaced it with the second one, and that one's platform would sometimes collapses to 2/3rd of the original height. It's probably something that a little soldering job can fix but it's rather disappointing after reading so many good reviews about them. Maybe ours are just anomalies. Good thing my daughter grew so much she does not need it any more.

P.S. If any one who lives close to northern NJ and willing to take it, I'll give it away.

#1434529 - 05/11/10 03:40 PM Re: piano pedal extender [Re: pianofossil]
MsAdrienne Offline

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Ann,

I have the one you mentioned in your original post. You can come and look at it if you'd like sometime.

It works fine for me. Shipped quickly, too.
http://www.facebook.com/pianolex

#1434572 - 05/11/10 04:34 PM Re: piano pedal extender [Re: pianofossil]
AZNpiano Online   sleepy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: pianofossil
It's probably something that a little soldering job can fix but it's rather disappointing after reading so many good reviews about them. Maybe ours are just anomalies.

Where do the good reviews come from?

#1434639 - 05/11/10 05:46 PM Re: piano pedal extender [Re: AZNpiano]
pianofossil Offline

People who used them. Many teachers on PW have recommended it in the past.

#1434640 - 05/11/10 05:47 PM Re: piano pedal extender [Re: MsAdrienne]
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thanks Adrienne, but I already placed the order...and still confident that the one I ordered will be great...even though one poster got a couple of duds.

a fancy air by chance,
began a lively dance."
-- Peter Newell

#1434652 - 05/11/10 05:56 PM Re: piano pedal extender [Re: pianofossil]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

My daughter used a couple of PE-2s for about two years. For the first one, the bolt on that tightens the adjustable prop would come loose after arouond 100 - 200 presses of the pedal and the pedal would collapse. I had to duct tape it in her recitals to avoid any accidents like this. We replaced it with the second one, and that one's platform would sometimes collapses to 2/3rd of the original height. It's probably something that a little soldering job can fix but it's rather disappointing after reading so many good reviews about them. Maybe ours are just anomalies. Good thing my daughter grew so much she does not need it any more.

P.S. If any one who lives close to northern NJ and willing to take it, I'll give it away.

Why don't you contact Dr. Hu, and ask him to make good on it? I've used it in the studio for many years now, with no problems.

#1434833 - 05/11/10 11:00 PM Re: piano pedal extender [Re: John v.d.Brook]
pianofossil Offline

I did John. Dr. Hu sent the second one as a replacement of the first. He was quite pleasant to talk to and he stands behind his product. I just didn't want to bother replacing the second one since my daughter was almost tall enough to reach the pedal on her own when it began to act up. My point here is that at least some PE-2s have some build issues, not unlike any other products.

Fossil

#1434845 - 05/11/10 11:13 PM Re: piano pedal extender [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
Bachsky Offline

Loc: McFarland, WI 53558
Ann

I am using a pedal extender in my private studio from the Janssen Co. out of Oshkosh, WI. (Janssen is famous for their artist benches) Their product has both a left pedal and the damper pedal. It is very sturdy and is used daily in my studio. Cost was over $200 but very reliable - it was money well spent. I believe the small child likes having a place to rest their feet so their legs won't dangle --- and of course when they need to use the pedal they can do so with proper technique.

Terry
1904 Henry F. Miller Concert Grand * 2002 Estonia 190 Satin Bubinga * 2008 Schulze-Pohlman vertical 125 polished cherrywood peacock design * 2008 Schoenhut minature grand (49 keys) * 2008 Roland Digital Harpsichord, 2010 Roland FP-4 (88 key slab).

#1434872 - 05/11/10 11:57 PM Re: piano pedal extender [Re: Bachsky]
DadAgain Offline

Loc: Brisbane, QLD
I've just got a pedalextender for my daughter. Its an "A-Leg-Gro-ped" http://www.a-leg-gro-ped.co.uk/ It cost a bomb to get it locally - but she loves it and her playing confidence and maturity has improved immeasurably .

Without the pedal her feet are at least 8" above being able to reach so theres at least a couple of years before she grows out of it (and then her sisters 3 years younger and looks to be following in her foorsteps too playing-wise).

Well worth getting...
Vague Guitar & Bass player.... (former minor income stream 15 yrs ago)
Former conductor... (been a long time since I was set loose with a magic wand!)

#1435023 - 05/12/10 09:16 AM Re: piano pedal extender [Re: pianofossil]
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I did John. Dr. Hu sent the second one as a replacement of the first. He was quite pleasant to talk to and he stands behind his product. I just didn't want to bother replacing the second one since my daughter was almost tall enough to reach the pedal on her own when it began to act up. My point here is that at least some PE-2s have some build issues, not unlike any other products.

Fossil

Thanks for this additional information. It's good to know you were able to get a free replacement.

I ordered the PE-2 through www.firstmusicstore.com. I paid $245 and there was free shipping. I had not intended to spend this much on a pedal extender. But mainly I liked the height range adjusting from 2.5 inches to 8 inches. Others I looked at went from 5.5 inches to 9 inches. So the low position of 2.5 inches was a selling point for me.

I would have waited for more responses and waited to make a decision, but I was feeling very stressed over a separate situation that I had no control over (sister hospitalized--now home). Feeling stressed, I felt compelled to make a quick decision, but made myself post on PW to get more information first...but only waited a couple of hours. At least I used this stress to buy something of real value to my students, (instead of overspending on clothing etc).

Thanks to all of you for your posts!

a fancy air by chance,
began a lively dance."
-- Peter Newell

#1435196 - 05/12/10 01:55 PM Re: piano pedal extender [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
Volusiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ann in Kentucky
But mainly I liked the height range adjusting from 2.5 inches to 8 inches. Others I looked at went from 5.5 inches to 9 inches. So the low position of 2.5 inches was a selling point for me.

I was wondering why you quickly went for something almost twice as much as what you originally were looking at when the lower priced product didn't look so shabby itself. Now I understand why with the lower height advantage.

#1435205 - 05/12/10 02:11 PM Re: piano pedal extender [Re: Volusiano]
C.Y. Offline

I have the same kind of pedal extender as the CPS Imports one (only cost me about $50 in Taiwan). The build quality is great and looks nice, it can definitely be used as a footrest for kids. But the problem is it can not go lower than 5.5in which is too high for some kids who are still not tall enough to reach pedals comfortably.

Pianofossil, if you want to get rid of your broken PE2, I'd like to take it if you are not too far away. Could you PM me where you live in NJ? Thanks!

#1435291 - 05/12/10 05:14 PM Re: piano pedal extender [Re: C.Y.]
pianofossil Offline

C.Y.

Sent you a PM

Fossil

#1444599 - 05/27/10 08:19 AM Re: piano pedal extender [Re: pianofossil]
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The pedal extender arrived a week ago. (Ordered the PE-2). It has been very nice for using in my studio. It doubles as a foot rest and is a big improvement over the plastic step I had been using as a foot rest (having more weight and being more stationary). But I am concerned about using it at a recital. I'm picturing myself pulling out the bench between student performances and cranking the pedal extender up or down.

If you use the PE-2, how are you managing during recitals? Just get down on the floor and make adjustments? It wouldn't be a big deal, but the next recital will be at the Steinway dealer and the whole program will be recorded.

I'm wondering if a different model of pedal extender would be better for quick height adjustments during recitals.

a fancy air by chance,
began a lively dance."
-- Peter Newell

#1444739 - 05/27/10 12:18 PM Re: piano pedal extender [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Ann, call me lazy, but for recitals, unless the student actually needs the pedal extender for playing, I don't use it. When I do use it, I have it set on a medium level and just let the students work around that.

#1444754 - 05/27/10 12:48 PM Re: piano pedal extender [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

John, thanks so much for your response. That plan would work for me too.

a fancy air by chance,
began a lively dance."
-- Peter Newell

#1729855 - 08/10/11 01:20 AM Re: piano pedal extender [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
concerttime Offline

Loc: USA
Does anyone have used PE2 piano pedal extender that you don’t need it anymore, please contact me; I’d like to purchase from you.Thanks smile

Edited by concerttime (08/10/11 01:48 AM)

#1733339 - 08/15/11 07:45 AM Re: piano pedal extender [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
timtopham Offline

Loc: Brunswick, VIC
Personally, I don't see the need to spend $250 or whatever on an extender. I just get my kids to half stand-up if they are playing something that needs the pedals. The rest of the time, they can sit as usual and just rest their feet on something inexpensive (I actually use a full 20 litre water jerry-can as flimsy little footrests were forever ending up on their side!). Elissa Milne wrote a great blog article about "Standing up music" you might like to read too: http://elissamilne.wordpress.com/2011/07/08/standing-up-music/
Melbourne Australia

#1946314 - 08/20/12 05:30 PM Re: piano pedal extender [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
PianoBrain1 Offline

I also have a question related to using this (or any) pedal extender.

It's unlikely that my students would be willing to purchase this expensive product to use with their practice at home. I can imagine they would be ok with procuring a foot rest of some kind, but something basic, not with real pedal levers.

So, if I myself do get one, and provide it for their use at the lesson, how do they negotiate the lack of one when they go home, after working through practice approaches at the lesson, while using one?

#1946339 - 08/20/12 06:08 PM Re: piano pedal extender [Re: PianoBrain1]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: PianoBrain1
I also have a question related to using this (or any) pedal extender.

It's unlikely that my students would be willing to purchase this expensive product to use with their practice at home. I can imagine they would be ok with procuring a foot rest of some kind, but something basic, not with real pedal levers.

So, if I myself do get one, and provide it for their use at the lesson, how do they negotiate the lack of one when they go home, after working through practice approaches at the lesson, while using one?

We cannot dictate what parents provide their children, only recommend. If they want to learn on a $500 keyboard which has no pedals and using a chair, the most we can do is inform the parent that this will impede learning and not allow their child to develop to his or her full ability.

OTOH, what I provide in my studio is a matter of professional pride and responsibility. You alone decide what you will or will not provide in the teaching environment.

#1946505 - 08/21/12 01:52 AM Re: piano pedal extender [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Gary D. Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
Originally Posted By: John v.d.Brook

We cannot dictate what parents provide their children, only recommend. If they want to learn on a $500 keyboard which has no pedals and using a chair, the most we can do is inform the parent that this will impede learning and not allow their child to develop to his or her full ability.

Everything you just said is an understatement. I worked with a boy who had nothing to play on at home but a crappy old organ. This kid came to each lesson prepared, even saved my lesson plans. He wanted to teach someday.

Well, after a year - and during all this time he continued to make amazing progress in spite of parental torpedoing - if that is a word - he was gone at the beginning of the month.

No heads up. No call. No thank you. No nothing.

I am usually very carefuly not to talk about details here.

In this case, if the parents happen to read what I wrote, I hope they understand exactly what I mean to say.

Some parents are jerks, and NOTHING we do can change that.

#1946644 - 08/21/12 11:42 AM Re: piano pedal extender [Re: John v.d.Brook]
PianoBrain1 Offline

Originally Posted By: John v.d.Brook

OTOH, what I provide in my studio is a matter of professional pride and responsibility. You alone decide what you will or will not provide in the teaching environment.

So, perhaps, more to the point, those students that you have that do not buy the pedal stool for their short legs, do you at least recommend that they acquire a steady non-adjustable, non-pedal-enabled support to use at home to avoid the dangling feet problem? Also, do you approximately know the percentage of students/their parents that do commit to buying this?

I think it's a non-issue for parents, who make at least an average income, whose young kids are already committed to making a mark in the world of music. I agree that they should do all they can to support their progress, and if they can but they don't, they are, as the other poster said, "jerks".

It's more of an issue, perhaps, for people whose kids just started, and no one knows if in a few months they will continue.

#1946662 - 08/21/12 12:48 PM Re: piano pedal extender [Re: PianoBrain1]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

It's very possible for students to get by without a pedal extender - especially if they have an adjustable bench.

Parents have to make fiscal choices all the time. This is obvious. I won't go down the road of foolish choices people make (including me), rather, I urge parents to get an adjustable bench first, so the arms and torso are positioned correctly. Students can stand and lean back against the bench and usually get the correct posture and height, but not always. Most families have more than one child taking lessons. Considering this, how much do you really have to invest on a monthly basis? And of course, they could sell it to another family when their child outgrows the need for it.

As for your final point, when parents buy crappy equipment for their child, regardless of activity, the child soon loses interest.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
102 registered (36251, ABC Vermonter, accordeur, Abby Pianoman, 26 invisible), 1350 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75353 Members
42 Forums
155798 Topics
2287702 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How much repair work can I do myself?
by chadb
Today at 10:33 PM
Yamaha p120 key issue
by PianoChaseHogan
Today at 09:59 PM
Similarities between Gershwin and Leonard Bernstein
by pianoloverus
Today at 08:01 PM
Help with Fingering!!
by Francisco Scalco
Today at 07:00 PM
Group PLUS private lessons?
by WCSdancer
Today at 06:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission