2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (danno858, AlkansBookcase, dbudde, eleos, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
John, thanks so much for your response. That plan would work for me too.

C
C
Does anyone have used PE2 piano pedal extender that you don’t need it anymore, please contact me; I’d like to purchase from you.Thanks smile

Last edited by concerttime; 08/10/11 01:48 AM.
T
T
Personally, I don't see the need to spend $250 or whatever on an extender. I just get my kids to half stand-up if they are playing something that needs the pedals. The rest of the time, they can sit as usual and just rest their feet on something inexpensive (I actually use a full 20 litre water jerry-can as flimsy little footrests were forever ending up on their side!). Elissa Milne wrote a great blog article about "Standing up music" you might like to read too: http://elissamilne.wordpress.com/2011/07/08/standing-up-music/

Tim Topham
www.timtopham.com
Inner Circle Piano Teachers' Community
Expert in Creativity in Music Education
Melbourne, Australia
P
P
I also have a question related to using this (or any) pedal extender.

It's unlikely that my students would be willing to purchase this expensive product to use with their practice at home. I can imagine they would be ok with procuring a foot rest of some kind, but something basic, not with real pedal levers.

So, if I myself do get one, and provide it for their use at the lesson, how do they negotiate the lack of one when they go home, after working through practice approaches at the lesson, while using one?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoBrain1
I also have a question related to using this (or any) pedal extender.

It's unlikely that my students would be willing to purchase this expensive product to use with their practice at home. I can imagine they would be ok with procuring a foot rest of some kind, but something basic, not with real pedal levers.

So, if I myself do get one, and provide it for their use at the lesson, how do they negotiate the lack of one when they go home, after working through practice approaches at the lesson, while using one?

We cannot dictate what parents provide their children, only recommend. If they want to learn on a $500 keyboard which has no pedals and using a chair, the most we can do is inform the parent that this will impede learning and not allow their child to develop to his or her full ability.

OTOH, what I provide in my studio is a matter of professional pride and responsibility. You alone decide what you will or will not provide in the teaching environment.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook

We cannot dictate what parents provide their children, only recommend. If they want to learn on a $500 keyboard which has no pedals and using a chair, the most we can do is inform the parent that this will impede learning and not allow their child to develop to his or her full ability.

Everything you just said is an understatement. I worked with a boy who had nothing to play on at home but a crappy old organ. This kid came to each lesson prepared, even saved my lesson plans. He wanted to teach someday.

Well, after a year - and during all this time he continued to make amazing progress in spite of parental torpedoing - if that is a word - he was gone at the beginning of the month.

No heads up. No call. No thank you. No nothing.

I am usually very carefuly not to talk about details here.

In this case, if the parents happen to read what I wrote, I hope they understand exactly what I mean to say.

Some parents are jerks, and NOTHING we do can change that.

P
P
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook

OTOH, what I provide in my studio is a matter of professional pride and responsibility. You alone decide what you will or will not provide in the teaching environment.

So, perhaps, more to the point, those students that you have that do not buy the pedal stool for their short legs, do you at least recommend that they acquire a steady non-adjustable, non-pedal-enabled support to use at home to avoid the dangling feet problem? Also, do you approximately know the percentage of students/their parents that do commit to buying this?

I think it's a non-issue for parents, who make at least an average income, whose young kids are already committed to making a mark in the world of music. I agree that they should do all they can to support their progress, and if they can but they don't, they are, as the other poster said, "jerks".

It's more of an issue, perhaps, for people whose kids just started, and no one knows if in a few months they will continue.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
It's very possible for students to get by without a pedal extender - especially if they have an adjustable bench.

Parents have to make fiscal choices all the time. This is obvious. I won't go down the road of foolish choices people make (including me), rather, I urge parents to get an adjustable bench first, so the arms and torso are positioned correctly. Students can stand and lean back against the bench and usually get the correct posture and height, but not always. Most families have more than one child taking lessons. Considering this, how much do you really have to invest on a monthly basis? And of course, they could sell it to another family when their child outgrows the need for it.

As for your final point, when parents buy crappy equipment for their child, regardless of activity, the child soon loses interest.

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
E
E
This thread is an old one but some might use this information for future purchase so I would like to share some information.

I bought a pedal extender from CPSIMPORTS and chair. Did not use the pedal for few months since I did not have any kid student, starting my new business and there was no need for the pedals. when I got my first kid student I found out the knob that raises the pedal up and and down is broken and extremely hard to move. Called CPS and since it has been sometime they cannot offer to fix or replace. Please check anything that comes from them and do not buy plastic cheaply made products - lesson learned.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Unless this is a new model, the plastic pedal locks are fairly substantial, but anything can become damaged in transit. It's always wise to inspect anything ordered by mail upon delivery, certainly before the warranty expires.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission