Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1946729 - 08/21/12 03:52 PM Ideas for inexpensive software for writing music
MaggieGirl Online   blank

that is simple to use?

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1946734 - 08/21/12 04:06 PM Re: Ideas for inexpensive software for writing music [Re: MaggieGirl]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Better than cheap, it's free: http://musescore.org/

And awesome!

Other choices are cut down versions of Finale or Sibelius, but with the recent trouble the industry seems to be going, I think that it's dangerous to enter such waters.

Finally, there's NOTION, but personally I never liked the end result in notation (the sounds are much better though)...

Up to you! smile

#1946760 - 08/21/12 04:55 PM Re: Ideas for inexpensive software for writing music [Re: MaggieGirl]
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
http://www.noteflight.com

I like this, it is free too and save your files online. It is very easy to use.
@ http://bit.ly/Ready123

#1946785 - 08/21/12 05:29 PM Re: Ideas for inexpensive software for writing music [Re: MaggieGirl]

Thank you both! It's for my daughter, she wants to enter a school contest and write something, but it would be more fun if it was a computer program vs pencil and paper (and easier to read).

#1946788 - 08/21/12 05:35 PM Re: Ideas for inexpensive software for writing music [Re: MaggieGirl]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

hmmm... not too sure about that. I can see why a contest might prefer a computer generated score, but on the other hand the magic of a well written manuscript is something that one cannot surpass with any software.

I will repeat that the computer generated score will look more 'professional' but I just thought of throwing in the extra idea... Plus it will leave much more room in her time, in order to work on the actual music, rather than learning the software.

Finally, if I may offer, I (and others probably) would be glad to offer some feedback to your daughter, before (or after in case it's not allowed) the competition... smile

Good luck!

#1946798 - 08/21/12 06:01 PM Re: Ideas for inexpensive software for writing music [Re: MaggieGirl]

She has a couple more weeks before school starts, and since she still isn't back to her activities in full force, it will give her something new to discover.

I'm not sure how she wants to do it, last year she said she wished she could do the music writing part but didn't know enough. At her age, they don't require it to be written out at all, she can just send in an CD. But she is a mess around kind of kid and if it were written I can see her going back to it and making lots of changes over time.

It will be interesting to see what she comes up with. Once the deadline has closed, I think she would be willing to share. It won't be a masterpiece, she has only been playing for a year. laugh She is very techie and gravitates to computers. Thanks again for the suggestions!!!

#1946846 - 08/21/12 07:18 PM Re: Ideas for inexpensive software for writing music [Re: MaggieGirl]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Depending on what she does and doesn't know about notation, the software may not help her. For example, she has to know what line or space a given pitch goes on, and she has to decide which note durations express the rhythm she comes up with. The software can't do this for her.

Some features that may be a help: MuseScore (and maybe others) does have a playback feature, so she can check if what she wrote matches what she intended. It also enforces the correct number of beats in a bar for the given meter, so she won't have the problem of unbalanced measures that don't match the meter. (You can explicitly change meter mid-piece, but you have to do it explicitly.)

Edited by PianoStudent88 (08/21/12 08:20 PM)
Edit Reason: sentence fragment

#1946942 - 08/21/12 10:28 PM Re: Ideas for inexpensive software for writing music [Re: PianoStudent88]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
I use Noteworthy Composer exclusively.

The trial version does pretty much everything; I bought the real one out of guilt because I use it so much.

I've played with Finale and have a couple of the simpler versions but all have limitations NWC doesn't. I highly recommend it.

#1947635 - 08/23/12 03:41 AM Re: Ideas for inexpensive software for writing music [Re: MaggieGirl]
allegro_concerto Offline

Is there one suitable for Android phones? Just thought its nice to be able to write down music to my Samsung Galaxy Note on the go as it comes with S pen etc...

#1966876 - 09/30/12 03:27 PM Re: Ideas for inexpensive software for writing music [Re: MaggieGirl]

Thank you all! Her entry is sent off. Noteflight was the easiest for her to figure out and she really enjoyed the process of making her music "real".

#1967103 - 09/30/12 10:18 PM Re: Ideas for inexpensive software for writing music [Re: MaggieGirl]
Gavbrown Offline

I have used Finale for years, and while I hate it with a white hot heat that cannot be measured, because it is very difficult, changes dramatically with every version, and is horribly nonintuitive, at the end of the day I am able to achieve whatever I need to with it, and I have not seen anything better. So I keep using it. But I still hate it (with a white hot heat that cannot be measured).

#1967280 - 10/01/12 12:25 PM Re: Ideas for inexpensive software for writing music [Re: MaggieGirl]

It's VERY simple, but if anyone wants to hear it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ik8ZlIqWco

#1967298 - 10/01/12 01:04 PM Re: Ideas for inexpensive software for writing music [Re: MaggieGirl]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

I'm the ANYONE.

You know what? Yes it IS simple, but yes it works. It's got form, it's got a reason to exist actually! So very well done to Amy and yourself! smile

Plus she looks extra cute with the red flower on the hair!

#1967305 - 10/01/12 01:18 PM Re: Ideas for inexpensive software for writing music [Re: MaggieGirl]

LOL! Thank you for listening to it! She was very pleased with making it. The photo was her first recital because youtube won't let you just put up a .wav - it had to be a video so I threw the photo on it. laugh Now that she knows how the program works, it will be used again, she just thought it was all fun.

#1967546 - 10/01/12 09:44 PM Re: Ideas for inexpensive software for writing music [Re: MaggieGirl]
mbick Offline

Loc: Culpeper, VA
I didn't reply in this thread as someone had already suggested Noteflight (which is what I use,) but I was wondering if you were going to post a recording of the piece. I'm glad you did.
I liked it. I liked the flow and I would be proud if any of my students composed a song like that after just over a year. Brava!

994 1/2 pianos to go.

#1967563 - 10/01/12 11:04 PM Re: Ideas for inexpensive software for writing music [Re: MaggieGirl]
LadyChen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
She did a great job!

#1967980 - 10/02/12 10:01 PM Re: Ideas for inexpensive software for writing music [Re: MaggieGirl]

Thank you all for the nice comments, she was happy to hear them.

#1968002 - 10/02/12 10:35 PM Re: Ideas for inexpensive software for writing music [Re: MaggieGirl]
Theme&Variations Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Nice work!! (And awesome boots in the photo, too!)
ANZCA (Australian and New Zealand Cultural Arts),
KMEIA (Kodály Music Education Institute of Australia).

#1982105 - 11/03/12 09:24 AM Re: Ideas for inexpensive software for writing music [Re: MaggieGirl]

Just to let you all know I just got this message:

This is to let you know your daughter has been selected to move on to the next round of judging at the District Level for Music.

#1982109 - 11/03/12 09:44 AM Re: Ideas for inexpensive software for writing music [Re: MaggieGirl]
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Congrats to your daughter! This will be an encouragement to her to continue composing. smile

#1982171 - 11/03/12 12:02 PM Re: Ideas for inexpensive software for writing music [Re: MaggieGirl]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

YAY! Well done daughter! And well done mom! Well done all round!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Trinity ATCL exam questions
by slava_richter
Yesterday at 09:54 PM
JBL LSR305 monitors too noisy for DP usage?
by Emiliano
Yesterday at 09:52 PM
Pletnev - Poise under duress
by vers la flan
Yesterday at 07:34 PM
Chopin Op 10 No 6
by Cheeto717
Yesterday at 07:08 PM
Charles R Walter upright
by landorrano
Yesterday at 05:19 PM
Who's Online
73 registered (aesop, Anticlock, AZ_Astro, Al LaPorte, 23 invisible), 983 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76253 Members
42 Forums
157636 Topics
2315424 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission