Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
106 registered (anamnesis, AndyJoe, angga888, 36251, accordeur, 29 invisible), 1412 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1946738 - 08/21/12 04:14 PM The mystery of not shopping on Piano World - ?
grotrian grand piano Offline

Loc: NYC
I was musing over this recently, and thought I'd throw it out. I first found Piano World when I started comtemplating selling my Grotrian. I'm not a pianist myself, so I don't have much to contribute to the forums, but I was happy to run advertisements a few times. Never had any success whatsoever, but I attributed that to many things, including that Grotrian isn't exactly a household name, like Steinway.

However, I recently realized that when I've cruised the forum, and see people talking about pianos they're considering, I've never yet run across anyone saying that they're checking out ones from the PW ads, or bought one via the PW ads. Why is that? Maybe there have been a few I missed, but overall, it's not an option that seems to occur to most people. Or am I totally off-base?
frown

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1946770 - 08/21/12 05:03 PM Re: The mystery of not shopping on Piano World - ? [Re: grotrian grand piano]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Sorry you didn’t have any success with the Piano World “pianos for sale” ads. I don’t think there is any way of knowing which pianos advertized there sell and which do not (unless someone buys your piano advertized there, or not smile ). I advertized my Petrof upright on Piano World and did not get any responses either. I guess that is just how it goes; and, I’ve learned that pianos are much harder to sell than they are to buy.

Frank Baxter does monitor and approve the ads before they are posted on Piano World to make sure they are reasonable and not outrageously over priced or under priced, etc… In other words, he wants to make sure the ads are legitimate.

For the potential buyer exposure and marketing area the ads get, I’m sure it is worth the small fee…

Here is an excerpt from the ad page:

• Piano World averages over 5 million page views a month, our high traffic means thousands of people interested in pianos will see your ad every day!
• Our World Famous Piano Forums are a great source of additional traffic, with registered members and thousands of unregistered guests creating well over one million posts. Many people make the Piano Forums their first stop each day.
• Place your ad for up to 90 days for only $12.95. (If your piano hasn't sold in 90 days, you probably have it priced too high.)
Additional ads for the same individual are only $12.95 each for the first 90 days.
• Add pictures for only $2.50 more each.
Instructions for uploading your picture(s) will be on the payment page, and in the acknowledgement email you should receive after submitting the form below. We will create a thumbnail image and link it to the bigger picture. You can add up to four pictures at $2.50 each.

Don’t know if these comments makes you feel any better or not…

Best regards,

Rick

#1946772 - 08/21/12 05:07 PM Re: The mystery of not shopping on Piano World - ? [Re: grotrian grand piano]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Back when I bought my grand I had an overly irrational fear of buying used, which is why I didn't peruse the PW ads. If I were in the market now, I'd be a lot more tempted by the used market (the opportunity to let somebody else eat the depreciation and get a lot more bang for the buck), and I'd take a serious look at what's available.

#1946808 - 08/21/12 06:14 PM Re: The mystery of not shopping on Piano World - ? [Re: grotrian grand piano]
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
My Google Analytics indicate that the ad I run here as a Maryland dealer gets click throughs to my website.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#1946824 - 08/21/12 06:44 PM Re: The mystery of not shopping on Piano World - ? [Re: grotrian grand piano]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
PW has about 50 used pianos advertised and the most well known site(other than Craigslist where the pianos are generally of lower quality or Ebay)has around 1800.

Edited by pianoloverus (08/21/12 06:58 PM)

#1946825 - 08/21/12 06:49 PM Re: The mystery of not shopping on Piano World - ? [Re: grotrian grand piano]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
I see the reason that the listings here don't seem to get much response is threefold.
  • People are often very lazy. How often do we read first postings which can be summarized by; I have $XXXXX, what should I buy?

• The classifieds are difficult and awkward to find for a newbie

• People are most familiar with eBay and Craigslist

As frequent posters, we don't even push the PW classifieds. They just don't come to mind. Yes, I know it's on the opening page, but people come here for the forums first, with specific questions, and to get into the forums.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#1946850 - 08/21/12 07:21 PM Re: The mystery of not shopping on Piano World - ? [Re: grotrian grand piano]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
I don't even know where the ads are. But then I'm not looking to buy.

#1946865 - 08/21/12 07:53 PM Re: The mystery of not shopping on Piano World - ? [Re: grotrian grand piano]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: Dave B
I don't even know where the ads are. But then I'm not looking to buy.

On the Forums main page, scroll down and look on the right side where it says "Quick Links to Useful Stuff"...

Look at the 14th item down from there... *Pianos for sale*.

Of course, there is a lot of stuff on Piano World. smile

Rick

#1946890 - 08/21/12 08:36 PM Re: The mystery of not shopping on Piano World - ? [Re: grotrian grand piano]
ventil Offline

Loc: TX
I was a PW subscriber for 4 or 5 months before I even realized PW carried ads from individual sellers. By then, I had already bought a piano.

#1947196 - 08/22/12 12:00 PM Re: The mystery of not shopping on Piano World - ? [Re: grotrian grand piano]
Pianolance Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Nashville, TN
Maybe Frank should put the piano ads on the "Most Popular Forums" list and make it more easily accessable and more widely known.

#1947210 - 08/22/12 12:34 PM Re: The mystery of not shopping on Piano World - ? [Re: Pianolance]
LarryF Offline

Loc: Mid Hudson Valley NY
Originally Posted By: Pianolance
Maybe Frank should put the piano ads on the "Most Popular Forums" list and make it more easily accessable and more widely known.

Yes, that's a great idea! "Pianos for Sale" should be a "moderated" forum and appear at the top of "Our Most Popular Forums." Posts within that forum would be paid advertisements. As a member, when I entered that forum I would see the new ads, just as I am shown new posts in the other forums. Posts would be removed from the forum by the moderator when the ad expired.

Larry

#1947218 - 08/22/12 12:54 PM Re: The mystery of not shopping on Piano World - ? [Re: grotrian grand piano]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
Forum usually implies a discussion, no? So I don't think straight ads make sense as a forum.

There are other places to alert readers there are pianos for sale at PW. There is already a small link on the right side under "Advertise at PW".

#1947249 - 08/22/12 02:02 PM Re: The mystery of not shopping on Piano World - ? [Re: pianoloverus]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
There are other places to alert readers there are pianos for sale at PW. There is already a small link on the right side under "Advertise at PW".

That may be a link to the classifieds page, but my initial thought when I read your post was that was for people looking to advertise on PW. If I was shopping for a piano that's not where I'd look. IMO the idea of a link to the piano classifieds either as part of the forum list or on each forum page is a good one. As it is now, it's too hard to find.

#1947394 - 08/22/12 06:12 PM Re: The mystery of not shopping on Piano World - ? [Re: grotrian grand piano]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
I prefer PianoMart...its for buying and selling pianos, no confusion.

http://www.pianomart.com/

Edited by Mark... (08/22/12 07:32 PM)

#1947398 - 08/22/12 06:25 PM Re: The mystery of not shopping on Piano World - ? [Re: Mark...]
Pianolance Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Nashville, TN
Originally Posted By: Mark...
I prefer PianoMart...its for burying and selling pianos, no confusion.

Mark, I think "burying" pianos belongs over on the "Landfill Paino" thread, not this one. ha

#1947433 - 08/22/12 07:34 PM Re: The mystery of not shopping on Piano World - ? [Re: Pianolance]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: Pianolance
Originally Posted By: Mark...
I prefer PianoMart...its for burying and selling pianos, no confusion.

Mark, I think "burying" pianos belongs over on the "Landfill Paino" thread, not this one. ha

Sorry typo, but maybe a subconscious thought on what I'd really like to do with my Estonia L190...

#1949078 - 08/25/12 05:37 PM Re: The mystery of not shopping on Piano World - ? [Re: grotrian grand piano]
grotrian grand piano Offline

Loc: NYC
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm not sure that everyone got what I meant. My point was that although I wasn't blaming y lack of response for my Grotrian with the PW on anyone, it had struck me that when people discuss buying used pianos, they never say "I'm going tomorrow to look at an interesting-sounding baby grand that's listed on PW."

Perhaps it's partly due to the way the the home page is designed that it doesn't really alert people well? Then again, I've never heard a response advising a poster to look at the PW ads, either.

#1949083 - 08/25/12 05:52 PM Re: The mystery of not shopping on Piano World - ? [Re: grotrian grand piano]
jawhitti Offline

My piano shopping has been pretty well-documented here, probably to the point of annoyance. The problem for me with the PW ads are twofold:

1) There are no PW ads anywhere near me. St. Louis is a terrible town in which to try to buy a piano. But I digress.

2) While I see *lots* of pianos on the net that look quite promising and seem to sound quite good (e.g. Cordogans or Estridge's "livingpianos.com") I have no way to know how the piano feels. Without touching it it's hard to be ready to throw down five digits, especially for older rebuilt pianos.

#1949430 - 08/26/12 03:51 PM Re: The mystery of not shopping on Piano World - ? [Re: grotrian grand piano]
Stevester Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
I would really like to hear about your Grotrian, so what do you have?

anon

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is it really possible to ignore fingerings?
by bjorn of brekkukot
11/26/14 08:29 PM
Recording equipment advice
by aceydawg
11/26/14 07:48 PM
Whip those springs into shape
by A454.7
11/26/14 06:29 PM
New Yamaha CLP-545 or used CLP-270/280 ???
by Panpiano
11/26/14 06:28 PM
Wanted to say hi
by patty5sewing
11/26/14 05:43 PM
Forum Stats
77063 Members
42 Forums
159383 Topics
2341269 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission