Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1946841 - 08/21/12 07:16 PM Why not using cheap tuning hammers?
Rieman Offline

I buyed a 20$ tuning hammers. And I cant tune my piano with it. I dont know if that is becuse I am a bad tuner or becuse the hammer is bad.

The tip dont fit realy good on the tuning pins, the hammer is wobling a lot. But when I aplay pressure on it the friction makes the hammer stick to the tuning pins.

When I want to make fine adjustments, I put a little tension on the hammer and nothing happens I put a litle more tension and sudenly the pin moves 5 degreas and the unison sounds realy bad.

Will a have simular problems if I go for a more expensive hammer?
If you think I shuld upgrade my hammer, are there anything I shult pay atension to? And how can I know I dont get cheated?

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#1946849 - 08/21/12 07:20 PM Re: Why not using cheap tuning hammers? [Re: Rieman]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

With tools, you get what you pay for....
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#1946920 - 08/21/12 09:25 PM Re: Why not using cheap tuning hammers? [Re: beethoven986]
David Jenson Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: beethoven986
With tools, you get what you pay for....
'Exactly! A really good hammer will cost you about the same as the price of two tunings.
-----

#1946922 - 08/21/12 09:32 PM Re: Why not using cheap tuning hammers? [Re: Rieman]
Emmery Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Niagara Region, On. Canada
Your cheap hammer probably has low grade steel on the tip and it is deforming as you try and tune with it. Eventually it will be completely useless for tuning; it will still work well for hitting yourself in the head for buying it in the first place.

Pay attention to the tip, it should have threads attaching it to the head. This will allow you to change it out if it wears. A good tip like a Watanabe for example will cost you as much as the $20 you paid for the whole thing. I think you need to spend at least $80-100 for even an entry level hammer that will last you a long time. Someone doing this for a living would want to get one that is at least in the $120-150 range. The uber hammers can cost 3 times this much.

#1946974 - 08/21/12 11:29 PM Re: Why not using cheap tuning hammers? [Re: Rieman]
Mark Cerisano, RPT Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hi Reiman,
Something doesn't sound right with your post. I'm going to out on a limb and call your bluff. Are you really a newbie DIY or a piano tuner trying to have a little fun in the forum?

#1946994 - 08/22/12 12:17 AM Re: Why not using cheap tuning hammers? [Re: Rieman]
accordeur Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Québec, Canada
A good quality tip, and a good lever is an advantage to someone starting out.

You can own the best tool, but if you can't use it, it is useless.

I guess these 20$ levers serve their purpose, to make honestly committed DIY'ers, realise and rethink the amount of experience needed in order to set a pin.

Experienced tuners can tune a piano with a student hammer. It's no fun and annoying. But they can. Amateurs are in for a ride.

I use a Fujan, and on some grands, with my long tip, I can't tune A0 because it is beneath the music desk rail.

I keep an old pitching hammer, must be 80 years old now, short tip and a bent shaft and a wooden handle.

Best tip ever, as good as the day it was machined. But the flex in the shaft is evident, you can see it bend before the pin.

So....

All the best.

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca

#1947049 - 08/22/12 03:27 AM Re: Why not using cheap tuning hammers? [Re: Mark Cerisano, RPT]
Rieman Offline

Originally Posted By: Mark Cerisano, RPT
Hi Reiman,
Something doesn't sound right with your post. I'm going to out on a limb and call your bluff. Are you really a newbie DIY or a piano tuner trying to have a little fun in the forum?

Its no bluff. I have never tuned a piano before.
Another question, do I need #2 tip if my tuning pins are 5mm (3/16 in) closest top the pianist and 6mm (1/4 in) closest to the strings?

#1947240 - 08/22/12 01:38 PM Re: Why not using cheap tuning hammers? [Re: Rieman]
pianohead30 Offline

Loc: Texas
I have 2 tuning hammers, one was my grandfathers from the 1930's which still works fine, sometimes on older pianos, it doesnt grip as well, and the other is the same hammer I got when I took the courses from The American Piano Tuning School at home. It might be cheap? But it still works for me. Perhaps I should look into a better quality of hammers. Still new to all this so....learning.

#1947465 - 08/22/12 08:17 PM Re: Why not using cheap tuning hammers? [Re: Rieman]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: Rieman
I buyed a 20$ tuning hammers. And I cant tune my piano with it. I dont know if that is becuse I am a bad tuner or becuse the hammer is bad...
I just bought a $130 tuning tip plus a $35 adapter to fit onto my $300 + tuning lever. I am very happy with it - it works quite well. This is probably because I have learned to tune pianos efffectively and I invest in good quality tools.

For someone who wants to tune their own piano such as yourself, you may help among your peers at this Yahoo group:
DIY pianotunings

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#1947469 - 08/22/12 08:28 PM Re: Why not using cheap tuning hammers? [Re: Supply]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Supply
I just bought a $130 tuning tip plus a $35 adapter...

Woah! Who makes that?!

#1947474 - 08/22/12 08:33 PM Re: Why not using cheap tuning hammers? [Re: Rieman]
Zeno Wood Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
If you have never tuned before and are using a $20 tool, then the reasonS you aren't finding success are because you are bad tuner (no offense intended) AND the hammer is bad.

Solutions: Become a better tuner and get a better tool. Easy!

#1947511 - 08/22/12 09:49 PM Re: Why not using cheap tuning hammers? [Re: Rieman]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Beethoven - I brought one in from Europe to try it out. If I like it I will carry it and offer it to technicians. I have just tuned a few pianos with it. I will hopefully know more after further testing, so stay tuned...
arf arf

#1947516 - 08/22/12 09:55 PM Re: Why not using cheap tuning hammers? [Re: Supply]
David Jenson Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
For someone who wants to tune their own piano such as yourself, you may get help among your peers at this Yahoo group:
DIY pianotunings

WOW! THAT was an entertaining site. Sites like that may explain a couple of very odd tunings I've encountered lately.
-----

#1947590 - 08/22/12 11:53 PM Re: Why not using cheap tuning hammers? [Re: Supply]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Beethoven - I brought one in from Europe to try it out. If I like it I will carry it and offer it to technicians. I have just tuned a few pianos with it. I will hopefully know more after further testing, so stay tuned...
arf arf

Sounds good! thumb

#1947655 - 08/23/12 06:00 AM Re: Why not using cheap tuning hammers? [Re: Rieman]
Mark R. Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria, South Africa
Rieman,

I would like to add my perspective, having started to tune about 3 years ago, and having done only tens (not hundreds or thousands) of tunings. As others have written, a cheap lever, and especially a cheap, poorly-made tip will be counterproductive to your learning - and they may well damage your piano's tuning pins. OK, that's the one extreme.

The other extreme is spending many hundreds of dollars. While professionals such as Jurgen may be happy to do this, I don't regard those amounts as even remotely necessary for a beginner. Especially a tip for $130!

Emmery has already indicated that there is a suitable middle ground between these extremes. Quite a decent lever can be bought for $100 ($150 at most), and good tips, e.g. Watanabe, for about $20. In my case, I don't think that my Schaff extension lever and Watanabe tip are limiting me (yet). To the contrary, they inspire me to make more of each tuning I do.

1922 49" Zimmermann, project piano.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.

#1947764 - 08/23/12 10:39 AM Re: Why not using cheap tuning hammers? [Re: Rieman]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Hi,
We help piano do-it-yourself people. Send a PM and I can give you more information.

#1947770 - 08/23/12 10:52 AM Re: Why not using cheap tuning hammers? [Re: Supply]
Weiyan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hong Kong
arf arf

Supply, waiting your supply.

#1947777 - 08/23/12 11:06 AM Re: Why not using cheap tuning hammers? [Re: Rieman]
Weiyan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hong Kong
If you are a professional pianist or playing piano as your life long bobby, its worth to invest a set of quality tool. A high quality hammer cost far lesser than an ipad.

#1947889 - 08/23/12 02:07 PM Re: Why not using cheap tuning hammers? [Re: beethoven986]
Emmery Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Niagara Region, On. Canada

Woah! Who makes that?!

He might have meant "$13" for the tip I think...probably a typo.

Beware of tips sold with lifetime guarantees...they simply tag a $10 handling fee (+shipping) to the shipped replacement and still make their money on the ~$3 pacific rim import.

#1947925 - 08/23/12 03:03 PM Re: Why not using cheap tuning hammers? [Re: Emmery]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Emmery

Woah! Who makes that?!

He might have meant "$13" for the tip I think...probably a typo.

I'm not so sure. Jurgen is not really known for selling inexpensive items, and $13 is like half of what the Watanabes cost.

#1947939 - 08/23/12 03:28 PM Re: Why not using cheap tuning hammers? [Re: Rieman]
dancarney Offline

Loc: UK
He might be referring to the BKB tips from Germany. Very expensive, but considering the tip is the only point of contact with the wrest pin, there is much sense in investing in quality.

#1948032 - 08/23/12 06:27 PM Re: Why not using cheap tuning hammers? [Re: dancarney]
Don B. Cilly Offline

Loc: Ibiza, Spain
Oh in Germany they are now selling carbon tuning hammers with rosewood tips.

Since this looks like the sort of thread, though, may I ask a newbie question?

Just why do they call it a hammer, it's not a hammer, it's a wrench?

#1948044 - 08/23/12 06:58 PM Re: Why not using cheap tuning hammers? [Re: Don B. Cilly]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Don B. Cilly
Oh in Germany they are now selling carbon tuning hammers with rosewood tips.

Carbon fiber hammers are nothing new. The handle is rosewood, not the tip. The tip is what goes on the pin, and it's made of steel.

Originally Posted By: Don B. Cilly
Just why do they call it a hammer, it's not a hammer, it's a wrench?

Don't know. It bugs me, too. I usually just call it a "piano tuning thingy".

#1948062 - 08/23/12 07:38 PM Re: Why not using cheap tuning hammers? [Re: Rieman]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
A 'ball peen' hammer with a socket tip on the other end was used back in the day. Turn the pin and tap it down with the peen hammer side. Here in modern times, most suppliers list them as 'Tuning Levers'.

#1948266 - 08/24/12 05:01 AM Re: Why not using cheap tuning hammers? [Re: Dave B]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington
Originally Posted By: Dave B
A 'ball peen' hammer with a socket tip on the other end was used back in the day. Turn the pin and tap it down with the peen hammer side. Here in modern times, most suppliers list them as 'Tuning Levers'.

But why did they turn the the hammer around and "tap it down?"

Early tuning pins were tapered and tapping them down was a way to seat the pin firmly in the hole and get it to stay where it was put.

Hence the tool was both a tuning lever and a hammer. Modern tuners refer to them by both names.

ddf
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

#1948313 - 08/24/12 07:48 AM Re: Why not using cheap tuning hammers? [Re: Rieman]
Olek Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
never seen a tapered early tuning pin, not on European pianos, in my limited experience.

but tapping a few mm allow to gain a little grip in new wood, while providing a few years of tuning, it also may lower the quality of the pin setting because the angle of the wire with the coil may be compromized (or the coils may finish touching the pinblock)

so this is a so so solution, while convenient, may be used with finesse and sometime the gain is minimal.

called "tamponnage des chevilles", or "tubage" in French

#1948770 - 08/24/12 11:10 PM Re: Why not using cheap tuning hammers? [Re: Rieman]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Rieman
I buyed a 20$ tuning hammers. And I cant tune my piano with it. I dont know if that is becuse I am a bad tuner or becuse the hammer is bad

While this statement is somewhat laughable to professionals (someone called it a bluff), perhaps laypeople cannot entirely comprehend why. I submit this comparison:
"I bought a set of golf clubs online for $49.-. But I still can't shoot a hole in one. Is it me or the clubs?"

Further comments of mine would be: Congratulations on hearing that your tuning is not good (I am serious). This means your hearing ability is better than your tuning ability. This is the way it should be. Even good tuners walk away from their tunings with a sense that they have not quite achieved perfection. That is what allows us to incrementally improve our skills and abilities and our work in pursuit of excellence over a number of years, if not decades.

Most DIYers actually think their tunings are good because their hearing discernability is so limited that they simply cannot hear the out-of-tuneness. We have seen numerous video postings of such "tunings". For the most part, these pianos are about as out of tune (after "tuning") as the ones professional tuners sit down to tune.

One more thing: You ask if you are a bad tuner. No. You are not a tuner. Just as buying a stethoscope would not make you a health practitioner.

#1948772 - 08/24/12 11:21 PM Re: Why not using cheap tuning hammers? [Re: Supply]
Phil D Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: London, England
Even good tuners walk away from their tunings with a sense that they have not quite achieved perfection. That is what allows us to incrementally improve our skills and abilities and our work in pursuit of excellence over a number of years, if not decades.

This is the single thing that I love the most about this job. The sense that, even after a succesful tuning, I know I could have done better. A wonderful insentive to continually improve!

#1948826 - 08/25/12 05:17 AM Re: Why not using cheap tuning hammers? [Re: Rieman]
Rieman Offline

My piano i 8 cent flat and my mobile tunelab software wants me to do a overpull of 2 cents, is that something i shuld trust on?

#1948827 - 08/25/12 05:18 AM Re: Why not using cheap tuning hammers? [Re: Phil D]
Olek Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
one may be a little masochist to be a tuner then.

or the "good enough" thinking begin to be prevalent.

Generally speaking one can know he have done the best he can under particular circumstances, but indeed no real standard exists in regard of tuning result.

because of ear fatigue it is difficult to correct a tuning while doing it, so often you hear in the end of the job that you could have do a part differently, sometime it is only the piano which settle in the new tuning.

taking a rest during tuning is the most useful thing. Concert tuning should be done in 2 parts the last (before concert) being better than the first. but this is highly theoretical..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
137 registered (Arizona Sage, ajames, aesop, accordeur, 39 invisible), 1716 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75883 Members
42 Forums
156800 Topics
2304013 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Looking for an Android App....
by Ohio_Mark
08/20/14 09:17 AM
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
08/20/14 02:00 AM
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
08/20/14 01:33 AM
My Steinway M birth information.
by ciftwood
08/19/14 08:30 PM
Breathy tone
by JoelW
08/19/14 07:59 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission