2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,289 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I want to thank everyone who has commented so kindly on my playing. I plan to learn all of Ivan's Adventures next, and hopefully include them in a future recital.

wouter79 mentioned tempo problems, which is embarassing, because I was completely unaware of them. Incidentally, my score doesn't have a MM marking, it just says "Andantino." The tempo problem tells me two things: (1) I have a hard time keeping a slow tempo and (2) I should take some metronome checks during my practicing. I do think I prefer the 80 bpm at the end; now I have to find out how to like that speed at the beginning, which I currently prefer to be slow and thoughtful. Hmmm, maybe I can make an argument for an artistic choice of deliberate acceleration smile .

wouter79 also mentioned lots of noise on the recording, which is odd since I was using almost exactly the same setup as my other two ABF recordings. One difference was the pedal noise -- my other recordings haven't had pedal. I'll have to see if I'm causing it by pedaling more violently than necessary, or if it's an inevitable byproduct of my piano's particular pedal.

So thank you, wouter79, for your detailed commentaries that point out places for me to improve.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Monica K.
I don’t think I could pick out a flugelhorn to save my life . . .

It's a big funny looking trumpet like brass instrument. The flugelhorn is a bit mellower in tone than the typical cornet which in turn is mellower than a trumpet. All three are similar in appearance with the trumpet being the smallest vertically and the flugelhorn being the largest vertically. Not that you are really worried about it, but as an ex trumpet/cornet player it matters to me for some reason. grin

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Amaruk
08 CarlossCC - Ambers-Long, Helen Jane
(...)Will it be Einaudi next time??

thumb You can be sure!
Thanks for your comment.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
I didn't realise the recital was so HUGE!. I've only just started to listen and feel like I'm way behind.
Thank you very much to those who've listened to and commented on my contribution. I appreciate your kind words.

Guitar since 1966. Piano (Kawai DP80) since 2011.
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Some more thank-yous and some questions:

Cookie74, thanks!

Inlanding, thanks for the detailed comments!

I do have an earlier, slower recording. I can post it if you'd like to hear it.

jazzwee

Thanks for compliments and the detailed comments on the unevenness and tone. I'm glad to hear that the tone is improving (I'm not sure that I hear it yet, but I suppose that will come too smile )
For the unevenness, yes I guess my ear needs some more development first. When you say practice at 10% speed, do you mean 12BPM??? That would be 1 beat every 5 seconds, and I think I would fall asleep at that kind of speed (rather than hearing rhythmic problems). I'd love if you can give me some more precise pointers to the kind of unevenness and where it happens.

Greener,
Also thanks for your nice comments!
Some of the more complex areas get a little muddy

I suppose what you hear is that the sync between L and R hand is not 100%. Yes I'm aware, and yes it's mostly a matter of more working on it (I guess it will take a little more than a week though).

Last edited by wouter79; 08/22/12 06:43 AM.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Time to thank-yous and comments-on-comments:
Thank you Tiago84, LadyChen, TX-Dennis, Bobpickle, Sinophilia, AndyMc for your kind words and for listening my piece.

Jotur - Now, and after so many kind comments, I'm conviced I took the right decision. Thanks!

Andy Platt - Helen Jane long is a tipical New Age composer so it's natural that has similarities with Einaudi. The ironic for me is that I don't consider Einaudi a New Age composer. I think he is a mix between Classical and New Age, so I call him "New Classic". Thanks!

CMohr - I agree. The piece has a nice bass "design". I tried to speed up a litle bit to address the lack of an orchestra. Thanks!

Monica K. - The arrangement is fine if played with more speed. You can make the test. I hope to listen *your* version. Thanks.

jazztpt - I'm not disappointed with the final result, I just had to speed up the original arrangement to make the piece less... boring. Thanks for your comment, I'm glad you like it.

Clemente - Now you understand why I also like this type of music. Piano started has a hobby to balance my stressed life -now is a passion!- so, naturally, I looked for more relaxant and calm music. Enya (one or two pieces), Einaudi (lots of pieces and counting!) and now HJLong are in my line, and I agree I grabbed the mood of it perhaps because I'm a calm guy too. Thanks!

BillM - Regardless of not being totally in love with a piece, I try always to play it fully engaged. Thanks!

jazzwee - Agree. Listening old recordings made for ABF I can realize I'm progressing well. Lots of dedication and passion also helps. Thanks for your comment.

SwissMS - Speeding up a little bit the piece was exactly to do not transform it in a boring thing and to not losing the piece as a whole. Thanks.

Starr Keys - As you know your comments are always very kind and lovely. Thanks again.

Sam S - I think it's the most "new age" piece I ever played. Thanks for your comment.

Cookie74 - Agree. The decision to speed up the piece gave it more "life". Thanks!

Inlanding - I heard HJLong in the last recital (thanks Monica!) and I was curious about it. Thank you very much for your words. I try to be fully engaged while I play a piece.

Mile Hi Steve - Good image: winter, snow and a burning fireplace. I think it's perfect! Thanks for your comment.

kenjazz - As I told above, I think this is the most "new age" piece I ever worked. Thanks.

Amaruk - Yes! I think I can make an Einaudi next time. I did a short break not because I'm tired of Einaudi, but because I though it was nice to play a "light" piece in terms of technical dificulty but also in terms of involvement. I get a little "transformed" when I get involved with the pieces of Einaudi... Thanks for your comment.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jotur

32. TrapperJohn - Wishing You Were... ...How do you find time to practice when you play so much golf? laugh

Cathy

It's not easy, but in a word: multitasking! I brilliantly found a way to practice while I'm playing - I take a portable along and work on pieces between shots - of course this might explain why I drive the golf cart into so many ponds, sand traps, trees and other carts laugh

And, no - I don't take song requests from other golfers, including a frequent one for a strange, hostile sounding song called "Hey! Watch Where You're Driving You Crazy SOB"...

Trap

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
K
K
09. Diana - Raymond - Theme from Overture
Very well played. Perfect even tempo. You sound great for just 5 months!

33. knotty - Petite Fleur
I liked that piece. The ensemble playing on the head sounded great. Who is the tenor player? I really liked his playing and wouldn't mind checking out some more. I agree it sounded good as a tango, makes a nice change.

35. Newman - Desperado
Listening to this I thought you sounded very professional, then when I clicked on your link I found out that you were. Excellent.

Monk - Boo Boo's Birthday
Bach - Two Part Invention No.11
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
40. Serge88 - What'd I say
I like the tempo you chose, since your playing makes a convincing performance, with catchy beat. The drum truck is lovely. Very enjoyable recording, Serge!

39. Sand Tiger - Ashokan Farewell
Sand, you have a musical ear! I’m impressed you’re able to transcribe the music score. Your playing is very good as well. You have made amazing progresses in only five months.

38. Augustina - Touched
Your smooth playing catches easily the nostalgic character of this piece, so you really manage to touch the sensitivity of you listener, as usual. Very emotive performance, Augustina, I loved it.

37. Jake S - Ah Vous Dirai-je Maman
Wow, only seven months playing the piano and you have already this level, it’s really impressive. You also did a great job memorising the twelve variations. Congrats Jake on your first participation in this recital, it has been an amazing start.

36. Copper - Ave Maria
I didn’t know Friedrich Burgmuller, but this “Ave Maria” is really beautiful. Thanks Cooper for introducing me in this composer with your fine playing. I loved your recording.

35. Newman - Desperado
I’ve listened to several of your contributions in the piano bar’s threads, and I think this song that I enjoyed the most. Very good job at modulating your voice for this music, the result is emotive, and your playing has consistent rhythm. Definitely, your recording is a great version of this lovely song, Newman.

34. Andy Platt - Prelude in E Minor (Opus 28, No 4)
Andy, you play this prelude with accurate chords, and the dynamic is lovely developed, but the most important thing is your performance brings out the huge emotion of this piece, since you pay great attention to every detail. Fantastic rendition, Andy!

33. knotty - Petite Fleur
What a great ensemble! Every musician is really talented! I loved the rhythm of this version, and each instrument offers beautiful renditions from the main melody. Amazing job, guys!

32. TrapperJohn - Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again (from "Phantom...")
Trap, you really make your piano sings this song without words. Beautiful performance, you did a great job as usual.

31. jotur/Cathy Turner - Dill Pickle Rag
Your performance is full of fine technique, Cathy, but the real achievement of your rendition is you really manage to pass on your fun to your listeners in every section. Thanks for sharing your work Cathy, I loved it.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Another group:

02. dannylux / Mel - Bortkiewicz Lyrica Nova Op.59 No.3 “Lush” is a perfect word to describe this piece. Very nice!

10. Recaredo (Ricardo) - Piano sonata No 25 Op 79. Second movement. I’m a firm believer in tackling aspiration pieces, even if they’re a bit too advanced. Worst case scenario is that you have to drop it. Best case scenario is that you prove yourself on a piece that you love. To me it sounds like the latter is what happened in this case.

18. Riddler (Ed) - Slaughter On Tenth Avenue This piece is way too light-hearted for its name! grin You did a terrific job on all those runs/flourishes.

26. Mile Hi Steve - Leaning on the Everlasting Arms Oh, I liked how this piece ended, transitioning from the more traditional hymn arrangement to a more dreamy, chord-filled finale.

30. cscl - Bagatelle in G minor, Op. 119, No. 1 I like the lilting tone you give this piece, and your piano sounds great.

42. CMohr - Imagination What a beautiful gift for your mother for her 90th birthday. I didn’t hear any of those hesitations or mistakes you spoke of, but I did hear a lot of love. heart

44. Ken. - Light Blue Oh, those chords at the beginning of the piece sounded hard to pull off at tempo! I enjoyed this one.

49. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Dance of the Blessed Spirits You sight-read this?! I would’ve believed that you had been practicing it for weeks, given how smooth and even your performance was. (I think I heard one bobble, maybe?) Very impressive.

53. notbach - To a Wild Rose (Op.51 No. 1) You started this from scratch at the two weeks’ notice announcement? Again, impressive job! I’ve always loved the melody on this piece.

54. lyricmudra - Sheep May Safely Graze (from J.S. Bach's Birthday Cantata) Bach ain’t easy, that’s for sure. You did a great job on this piece, and I also was impressed by the quality of your video. You synced the audio with the video track perfectly, which is something that always gave me conniptions.

61. PianoStudent88 - Ivan Sings I like this melody; it starts off a little sad and plaintive and then progresses into something almost eerie, like it would be good background music for a horror film. Good job!

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member
jazztpt, thank you for the really nice comments on my tune! Much appreciated coming from another jazz player whom I admire.
Monica, thank you, too for such sweet comments! My mom did really like it, so mission accomplished.

Think less - play more

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Thank yous:

Thank you Inlanding, Amaruk, CarlosCC, TXDennis, Jazzwee, Recaredo, Jazzpt, and KenJazz - I can't tell you what it means to have such talented and accomplished players I admire express such enthusiasm and appreciation for my performance! My mom was finally able to listen and watch it today and I read her some of your reviews along with the ones on Youtube, and she repeated some of your words as I read them. I could tell she was as thrilled by what you said as I was. She kind of reminded me of the character in "Its a Wonderful Life", realizing that she really had had a wonderful life, which is not a bad attitude to take into surgery (this Friday).

Performance Comments

15. SamS Wow almost 5 minutes of Bach without a major hitch! As a child, I was so intimidated by even having to play a few bars of Bach. You made me pull out the wine. I just think your accomplishment is awesome after such a long hiatus. But I really missed your youtube scoring on this one. I would have really loved to see all that contrary motion in writing!

16. Peyton I think this performance could single-handedly bring back the earlier traditions of improvising to the classics I've heard were common and engaged in by the masters themselves. I don't recall ever hearing you play jazz before. But what a beautiful melody, a little worn by familiarity (I know I'm being sacreligious), given fresh beauty and life. I love your cutting edge style. More please.

17. Lady Payne -- I did the same thing when I came to California (well for the second lag of the trip, I had a passenger the first half). It's great that you're into composing so steadily now, and have a wonderful new life to inspire you. I feel the excitement and forward movement in your music. Next stop Hollywood?!

18. Riddler (Ed) -- I don't ever think there's been a piece I desired to play as much as this one--just play, not sing, which would be impossible since there are no words smile I can see why your fifties teacher might have had problems with it. It must be the sexiest thing that Richard Rogers ever wrote--oh maybe part of the dream sequence in Carousel or part of the dream ballet sequence in Oklahoma, but then he had Oscar Hammerstein to make sure he took the high road. Anyway I saw the ballet in the movie (Gene Kelly and Vera Ellen?) but I don't remember part of what you played from there. What a millstone moment for us to witness, your realization of your childhood dream. I hope I can play it half as well someday.

19. Greener/Jeff Green -- Music to break the heart, and you play it that way!

20. CasinItaly Whether in classical or modern music, baseline melodies are challenging. Nice counterpoint! You had me humming the melody afterwards, which rarely happens when I listen to this period music. And how cool to be studying this stuff in Europe where you can just take a walk and probably see cultural artifacts from the time when the music was written.

21. timmyyab So calming, majestic, and Beautiful, unit it turns dark, turbulent, majestic and beautiful. You convey very well the mood of an era when passions were much larger and grander than ours. Listening to you, I get why so many people want to focus exclusively on playing this type of music.

22. Lady Chen And if I didn't get it from timmyyab, I definitely would have from you. You must have been a child prodigy. Thank you for this beautiful mature performance. Everytime I see your name I expect the highest standard of excellence and the expression of great beauty. This is an example of how you deliver it.

23. MrPozor Another example of how far self-teaching can extend to motivating quick advancement. Terrific playing for such a short time!

24. PianoMonica Well, you have accomplished the seemingly impossible, gotten me to like what I used to consider monotonous (lots of repetition) New Age music. I love the way you brought out the subtle variations with the beautiful tone of your piano and its dynamics, these juxtaposed with the silences made me imagine a slide show of nature shots with lots of blackout in between where the silences were. Another PianoMonica masterpiece!

25. Cookie74 Wow! Cookie, you may not believe this, but this is the only invention I ever played as an adult. After teaching myself to play a lot of simple 3 or 4 chord songs in an attempt to learn to play by ear, I suddenly longed to do something classical and more technically challenging, so I memorized two or three measures a day until I had it and could play the whole thing through--a little slower than this--but of course I didn't have your technique. With the inspiration of your letter perfect performance, I might revisit it again soon. Thanks, and a big Welcome to the Recital space. Hope to see your name at many more.

26. MileHi Steve I don't remember how the song was played in True Grit, but I don't think I've ever heard a more beautiful rendition of this popular hymn. Your style is so lush and expressive as they say on American Idol, you could [play] the phone book! Thank you so much for sharing this.

27. BobPickle Every once in a while a new young musician comes to this site who seems like he sprung fully musically accomplished from the head of Zeus. You seem such a one. Amazing playing for such a short while. Please stay!

28. Joangolfing Very Nice playing! I love the drama of those big chords contrasted with the light flourishes of single notes. You are very accomplished.

Last edited by Starr Keys; 08/22/12 11:28 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
38. Augustina - Touched - Thanks for posting this Augustina - this made me smile, and made my day. smile

42. CMohr - Imagination - A wonderfully played piece. Good thinking listening to your mother!

60. BillM - Try A Little Tenderness - Once again, great piano chops with this - I'm in awe!

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Monica K. I was listening to the several of the recital tracks again this morning and your piece really stood out. Funny thing is I kept picking up single tones throughout the piece that reminded me of the theme music to the Titanic movie. This is a very beautiful piece you performed which shares a lot of "tones" (for lack of a better description) with the tune I mentioned. Very nice.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Yikes, I'm falling behind! I just realized I have about 40 more performances to listen to! I'm hoping to get through them all this weekend.

I'm fairly new around here, and I just wanted to share that I'm really blown away by the community you've built here. It's such a nurturing environment, and I'm so impressed with what all these adult 'beginners' are accomplishing and the diversity of music presented in this recital. It's wonderful!

Thank you to Inlanding, Greener, SwissMS, Andy, Tiago, Monica, Sam S, Clemente, DadAgain, jazzwee, BobPickle, Carlos, BillM, TX-Dennis, jazztpt, sinophilia, Cookie74, AndyMc, Riddler, StarrKeys and anyone who I've missed (sorry) for your kind and encouraging words.

A couple of you mentioned that I'm not really a beginner, and I guess not, but I feel like I fall in a grey area between ABF and Pianist Corner (and from listening to all these performances, I suspect many of you are in the same boat). ABF has been so warm and welcoming and I look forward to getting to know you all better smile.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks so much for your comment Monica!

30. cscl - Bagatelle in G minor, Op. 119, No. 1
This bagatelle is played with smooth touch, and the whole performance is really exquisite. Thanks for sharing your recording, cscl, this is one of my favourite bagatelles by Beethoven.

29. Mar_red - Rosemary's Baby - Lullaby
This is a beautiful arrangement, Mar, and is played with great sensibility. Your performance manages to make an evocative atmosphere. Very good job!

28. joangolfing - The Poet Speaks
In your performance all seems to be under control, and this is not easy when we are speaking of Schumann, with those tempo changes. Btw, the sound quality of your recording is very good.

27. Bobpickle - June (Barcarolle)
Wow, fantastic playing for only eight months of experience! Your performance got me impressed, since shows a fine technique, and is played very musically. Excellent Bobpickle!

26. Mile Hi Steve - Leaning on the Everlasting Arms
I didn’t know this hymn, but I’ve like it very much. Thanks for letting me know this music with your beautiful arrangement, Mile.

25. Cookie74 - Invention No. 4 in D minor
Marvellous playing on this Invention! Rhythm, voices and ornaments are all so accurate, but I especially enjoyed the powerful character of this rendition, full of energy. I loved your performance, Cookie.

24. Monica K. - Fairy Tale
I bet this performance has to be one of the best renditions of this piece ever played, since I cannot imagine how it can be improved. Every phrase is played so smoothly and expressively that the whole performance creates charming sensations for the listener. Excellent job on Einaudi’s music Monica, as usual!

23. MrPozor - Minuet in A minor - Z649
Very good interpretation on this beautiful minuet! The rhythm is solid and the voices are clearly exhibited. I really liked your performance, and surely for this reason I would have liked to listen to the repetitions.

22. Lady Chen - Nocturne in E minor, op. 72, no. 1
Absolutely awesome! Every section has got lovely phrasing with excellent dynamics. The touch is firm and sensitive at the same time. Clearly, you have a huge knowledge of this piece and a big technique. It has been a pleasure to listen to your performance, Lady Chen.

21. timmyab - Moment musical Nr.2 (to do)
Your rendition does justice to this master work, timmyab. This piece is extremely complex to play, but you solve every difficulty convincingly. Good job, Timmyab.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
36. Copper - Ave Maria I can hear this as a prelude to services or as the ending of "a moment of silence" part of a church service. Very reverently played.

38. Augustina - Touched Well done, accomplished and assured. That new keyboard suits you!

39. Sand Tiger - Ashokan Farewell The band I'm in plays this, and I play it for my assited living gigs, so I was looking forward to it. Well done! And I admire you for transcribing it - a lot of work, and it paid off.

40. Serge88 - What'd I say I loved it! One of my favorites of this recital. A great beat, and your style was perfect for it.

41. Starr Keys - It Goes Like it goes Nice accompaniment, quite an accomplishment. It's not an easy thing to do.

42. CMohr - Imagination Your stylings are always great, and your expressiveness on this is just right.

46. MaryBee - Sonata Wonderful! Mozart would be delighted. I love your twiddly ornaments (a technical term) and your phrasing.

47. Dad Again's Daughter - Invention This was great. I love the way both hands are clear and precise.

48. Dad Again - Prelude and Fugue Well done! I love Bach, and you did this justice.

54. lyricmudra - Sheep May Safely Graze Very pretty, and the recording sounded church-like. You played it very well.

I have a couple more batches to go, but I'm off to play piano - the first time I've had a chance to do so in about a week. So I'll finish up sometime tomorrow.

Thanks for all the behind the scenes work to the administrators, programmers, hosters, thinker-uppers, et al, who have made the ABF recital series the best-selling series on the internet.

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
More random notes....

#8. Carlos- I like it Carlos. It does kind of have a Einaudi feel to it so you didn't stray too far. Not having heard the arrangement you mention I'm not at all disappointed by this arrangement. You play it with some great feeling and touch. It's very melancholic....

#10. Ricardo- You certainly made no "mistake" learning this. I think you have some excellent left hand work going there. Nice job. Keep going!! smile

#11. Jazztpt- I don't remember hearing this on the piano bar. Just a beautiful tune. Sad and thoughtful. I'm really glad you recorded this and shared it.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
22. Lady Chen - Nocturne Beautifully played. As for not being a beginner, I suppose sort of not, but my sense is that all of us here are beginners at something smile

27. Bobpickle - June apples, bananas, grapes, pickles - fruit FTW! This was very nice, very musical with great accents and phrasing.

60. BillM - Try a Little Tenderness I was visiting my musician brother this weekend and introduced your music as "one of my favorite players" - he liked it too. I always love your accompaniments, and your vocal stylings just get better and better.

61. PianoStudent88 - Ivan Sings Very nice, very clear and precise.

37. Jake S - Ah Vous Dirai What a fun project and accomplishment! I'd never un-confuse the variations, myself, but you did quite well.

45. daveindenton - Schindler's List I thought it was pro. Very nicely interpreted.

49. Mike White - Dance of the Blessed Spirits I actually listened to this earlier but I think I forgot to post my comments. I like the confidence with which you play, and I'm working on that in my own playing - trying not to be a wimp, if you will. This was well done.

57. Tiago84 - Prelude Oh, this was lovely. Wonderful interpretation.

58. AndyMc - Riverlights What a beautiful way to wrap up this recital for me. Great playing.

Thanks again to the admins et al, and all the participants, who make the ABF recitals such a wonderful event.

Let's do it again in 3 months -

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Originally Posted by CarlosCC
51. Clemente - Andalucia - Lecuona is new for me but I know he was a Cuban composer. This piece seems hard but you did a great job. Good rhythm. Congratulations.

Thank you, CarlosCC. Yes, Lecuona was a Cuban composer. Cuba had some excellent composers (Ignacio Cervantes comes to mind). But, IMHO, Lecuona was the best. The piece is a bit challenging in some sections, but anybody, with practice, can play it. Do not forget that I am still not playing it as it should be played. More practice is needed. blush

Originally Posted by Peyton
51. Clemente- what an interesting piece. It almost sounds like it could be in a musical with lyrics. The score must be scary to look at... smile Great playing.

Peyton, thank you. Now that you mentioned lyrics, there is an English arrangement of this piece with lyrics to it. The English title is "The Breeze and I"... Sounds like an awkward tittle, but that is what it was named. smirk There is also a "reduction" of this piece called "Lecuona Made Easy"... In this case it sounds like a song without the pianistic edge to it.

Originally Posted by kenjazz
51. Clemente - Andalucia I really like the Spanish flavor of this piece. It is quite dramatic and sounds very difficult to play. I’ve always associated Spanish music with acoustic nylon guitar, but you could make me a convert!

Thank you, kenjazz. You are correct. As a matter of fact, most (classical) Spanish music originally written for the piano, try to imitate the sound of the acoustic (or Flamenco, if you will) guitar. Just listen to Albéniz or Granados (specially the Spanish Dances). Louis Moreau Gottschalk wrote a piece for piano called "The Banjo" in which he makes the piano sound like a banjo, really. smile

I thank you guys, again.

Clemente

Be careful about wanting to reach the top because once you are at the top, the only place left to go is down.

[Linked Image]
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission