Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1948728 - 08/24/12 08:54 PM Hailun Uprights
mbellephan Offline

I have looked at Hailun's a couple of months ago. Then thought I'd just go the "safe" route of Kawai K3 or Yamaha U1. Now, I just can't get past the price of Kawai's and hoping to spend less. The Hailun dealer is 2 hours away so now I'm researching Hailun uprights - H1P and H5P - via internet before I go back to the store.

I haven't run across bad reviews but when there seems to be one, seems like posters PM each other so I don't know what is said. I've also read here that Hailun's are a good bang for your buck due to them being newer in the market. What about today? Seems like prices are going up. Are they still a good deal? What would be a fair price for a Hailun H1P and H5P?

Thanks for any information you can share with me.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1948943 - 08/25/12 11:49 AM Re: Hailun Uprights [Re: mbellephan]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Prices have gone up, but they've gone up on Asian makes across the board. Hailun certainly still carries very good pricing in relation to general competition. I'll only point to the general pricing info you may have already come across...The Piano Buyer online guide.

Pricing of the H1P to H5P is a smaller difference than Kawai K3 to K5. They are generally of the same quality of components and features. There are a lot of differences between the K3 and K5.

Part of the Hailun cost difference is the cabinet styling on the H5P...rounded arms, beveled lid, etc. With the added height, most people prefer the H5P...it is an upgrade of musical output, not manufacturing input if that makes any sense.

Also, relative to older pricing, the H1 -> H1P and H5 -> H5P which were component upgrades as well as cost upgrades. The "P" models have only been available in the last couple of years which would not be reflected in much older pricing.

Call your dealer ahead of your visit in hopes that they will be fresh for you.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#1949681 - 08/27/12 07:36 AM Re: Hailun Uprights [Re: mbellephan]
mbellephan Offline

Thanks for your response PianoWorks. Also, thanks for the clarification between H1 and H5. I believe the price difference at the store is $3-400 so it may seem worth the upgrade for a musical output upgrade although I'll have to see what the final cost will be. : )

Great idea, I will call the dealer ahead of time so he can get the pianos ready for my visit. Planning to make a visit some time in September.

#1958372 - 09/13/12 02:57 PM Re: Hailun Uprights [Re: mbellephan]
mbellephan Offline

This weekend I will be checking out the Hailun pianos again and have called the dealer to let them know I'm coming.

#1959514 - 09/16/12 06:51 AM Re: Hailun Uprights [Re: mbellephan]
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Let us know your thoughts. In spite of rising costs, I am very pleased with the quality for the money that the Hailun piano represents.

Good Luck,
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#1959787 - 09/16/12 05:35 PM Re: Hailun Uprights [Re: mbellephan]
mbellephan Offline

Saw the Hailuns...they had a mahogany and walnut HU-1P on the floor. The black HU-5P was already sold. I liked the walnut finish which I wanted to see in person. Would have liked to hear the HU-5P but based on Sam's comment, we decided to buy the HU-5P for the musicality output for $300 extra. I probably won't notice the difference but hoping we'll hear it in the years to come.

The Walnut HU-5P we ordered is coming in from the warehouse and the dealer will prep it before it delivers to us. Our son will be very surprised when it shows up at our house. Can't wait!

#1959793 - 09/16/12 05:47 PM Re: Hailun Uprights [Re: mbellephan]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Congrats! Hailun's walnut is very pretty. We just ordered a walnut 178 grand for a customer.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#1959822 - 09/16/12 06:41 PM Re: Hailun Uprights [Re: mbellephan]
Jonathan Alford Offline

Loc: Colorado
congratulations! Please post pictures when it arrives.

#1959830 - 09/16/12 06:52 PM Re: Hailun Uprights [Re: mbellephan]
mbellephan Offline

Thanks! I will definitely take pictures and post. This forum has been very helpful.

#1959843 - 09/16/12 07:18 PM Re: Hailun Uprights [Re: mbellephan]
Kurtmen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Mateo, CA
Quote:
I have looked at Hailun's a couple of months ago. Then thought I'd just go the "safe" route of Kawai K3 or Yamaha U1. Now, I just can't get past the price of Kawai's and hoping to spend less.

Hi Mbellephan,

Congratulations on your purchase.

I'm a Kawai dealer, therefore I'm interesting in knowing what price you were quote for the K3? and how much you were saving with the Hailun 48"?

Please let us know.

Edited by Kurtmen (09/16/12 07:20 PM)
Kawai Digital Piano, Pianodisc.
<a href="http://sanmateopiano.com" style="color:#FF0505;font-size:10px;font-family:Times New Roman;text-decoration:underline;" target="_blank" >http://sanmateopiano.com</a>

#1959872 - 09/16/12 08:20 PM Re: Hailun Uprights [Re: mbellephan]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Mbellephan,

Congratulations on your new HU-5P. It's a very nice piano. Having played the HU-1P and the HU-5P, on two separate occasions at two different dealerships, I think the difference is certainly worth the very minor cost increase. The difference is easy to hear. And, the walnut is very beautiful!

You will enjoy your new piano for years to come.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#1959873 - 09/16/12 08:22 PM Re: Hailun Uprights [Re: Kurtmen]

Originally Posted By: Kurtmen
I'm a Kawai dealer, therefore I'm interesting in knowing what price you were quote for the K3? and how much you were saving with the Hailun 48"?

Please let us know.

I don't think this is an appropriate querry in a public forum.

#1960084 - 09/17/12 10:40 AM Re: Hailun Uprights [Re: mbellephan]
KurtZ Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Heart of Screenland
Marty,

I don't think playing netcop after four months on the forum is appropriate either. People disclose their buying prices here all the time. Mbellephan can decide whether or not to reveal the price as suits her.

Kurt

#1960090 - 09/17/12 10:55 AM Re: Hailun Uprights [Re: mbellephan]
Jonathan Alford Offline

Kurt,

How about you tell Mbellephan what you would have sold them a K3 for and they will tell you if you would have gotten the business?

Jonathan

Edited by Jonathan Alford (09/17/12 11:14 AM)

#1960092 - 09/17/12 11:04 AM Re: Hailun Uprights [Re: KurtZ]

Originally Posted By: KurtZ
Marty,

I don't think playing netcop after four months on the forum is appropriate either. People disclose their buying prices here all the time. Mbellephan can decide whether or not to reveal the price as suits her.

Kurt

I don't see anything wrong with disclosing prices either. What struck me was that it was a dealer asking to disclose a competetitor's quote on a model which wasn't even purchased.

My time here, as stated, does not reflect when I actually joined Piano World. Due to computer changes and different ISP's, I was unable to restore my original membership, which pre-dates your own. This necessitated a change from "Marty in Minnesota" to "Minnesota Marty" as a screen name. My signature line has always remained:

#1960178 - 09/17/12 01:58 PM Re: Hailun Uprights [Re: Jonathan Alford]
KurtZ Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Heart of Screenland
Originally Posted By: Jonathan Alford
Kurt,

How about you tell Mbellephan what you would have sold them a K3 for and they will tell you if you would have gotten the business?

Jonathan

How dare you say, "How dare you!" to my saying of "How dare you!" to Marty's saying of "How dare you!" to Kurtmen.

Marty may be sensitive to what he perceives as inappropriate behavior on another poster's part. I'm sensitive to what in the old days (you know, 8 years ago) we called net-copping. That is, non-mods telling others what they should or shouldn't post. Kurtmen asked a question. If it was out of AUP, that's for a mod to decide. If it makes Mbellephan uncomfortable, she, as a grown up can either say so or simply not respond. If other dealers feel it crosses a line of professional conduct, let them say their peace as they see fit. What I see as being more fair and more interesting would be that Marty discuss the issue or ask Kurtmen just what it was he hoped to gain from his inquiry instead of positioning himself as arbiter of acceptable behavior for dealers on this board; a job again best left to other dealers and the mod's. Failing that, as a grown up, he could just ignore the posts he doesn't like.

So what about my reducto ad-absurdem first line? In the hierarchy of outrage, I believe my defense or free, open discussion trumps personal opinion moralizing. May the mods have mercy on my on-line soul.

Kurt

#1960182 - 09/17/12 02:02 PM Re: Hailun Uprights [Re: KurtZ]
Jonathan Alford Offline

Originally Posted By: KurtZ
Originally Posted By: Jonathan Alford
Kurt,

Jonathan

How dare you say, "How dare you!" to my saying of "How dare you!" to Marty's saying of "How dare you!" to Kurtmen.

Marty may be sensitive to what he perceives as inappropriate behavior on another poster's part. I'm sensitive to what in the old days (you know, 8 years ago) we called net-copping. That is, non-mods telling others what they should or shouldn't post. Kurtmen asked a question. If it was out of AUP, that's for a mod to decide. If it makes Mbellephan uncomfortable, she, as a grown up can either say so or simply not respond. If other dealers feel it crosses a line of professional conduct, let them say their peace as they see fit. What I see as being more fair and more interesting would be that Marty discuss the issue or ask Kurtmen just what it was he hoped to gain from his inquiry instead of positioning himself as arbiter of acceptable behavior for dealers on this board; a job again best left to other dealers and the mod's. Failing that, as a grown up, he could just ignore the posts he doesn't like.

So what about my reducto ad-absurdem first line? In the hierarchy of outrage, I believe my defense or free, open discussion trumps personal opinion moralizing. May the mods have mercy on my on-line soul.

Kurt

Kurt,

I believe I got my Kurt and Kurtmen mixed up. I was suggesting that Kurtmen post his price of the K3. I believe I caught you on the cross-fire - sorry!

Jonathan

Edited by Jonathan Alford (09/17/12 02:04 PM)
Edit Reason: tab key got me again

#1960251 - 09/17/12 03:52 PM Re: Hailun Uprights [Re: mbellephan]
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Quote:

If really interested in "price", a private pm to OP would have been perhaps more appropriate...

Norbert

#1960354 - 09/17/12 07:05 PM Re: Hailun Uprights [Re: mbellephan]
Kurtmen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
I have looked at Hailun's a couple of months ago. Then thought I'd just go the "safe" route of Kawai K3 or Yamaha U1. Now, I just can't get past the price of Kawai's and hoping to spend less. The Hailun dealer is 2 hours away so now I'm researching Hailun uprights - H1P and H5P - via internet before I go back to the store.

I don't see why honesty should be punished with condescending remarks.
I stated clearly that I'm a Kawai dealer. I stated clearly what I was looking for.
Like any other user of the Forum, one of my objectives is research.

I simply want to know the price of the K3 and the price of the Hailun quoted to the OP. As the original poster already stated the lower price was the motivation to take a two hours drive to try a Hailun.

I'm just doing a simple marketing research to find out how much less she was about to pay in order to buy the Hailun over the K3. In a way this not beneficial for the Kawai dealers; as a future potential buyer may read these lines and find-out that for less money they can buy a very nice Hailun over a Kawai.
What is wrong with that?

The fact that somebody reveals the price paid would not any richer or poorer the Kawai or Hailun dealers.

Edited by Kurtmen (09/17/12 07:08 PM)
<a href="http://sanmateopiano.com" style="color:#FF0505;font-size:10px;font-family:Times New Roman;text-decoration:underline;" target="_blank" >http://sanmateopiano.com</a>

#1960359 - 09/17/12 07:19 PM Re: Hailun Uprights [Re: mbellephan]

I publicly thank my mother for teaching me manners about asking others how much they paid for something. Disclosure is different than inquiry when it comes to purchase.

#1960369 - 09/17/12 07:40 PM Re: Hailun Uprights [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Kurtmen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
I publicly thank my mother for teaching me manners about asking others how much they paid for something

Sorry, probably I should've asked in a different manner.
I'm sure your mom is proud of you, thank you for sharing.

Edited by Kurtmen (09/17/12 07:50 PM)

#1960417 - 09/17/12 09:43 PM Re: Hailun Uprights [Re: mbellephan]
mbellephan Offline

Wow, this discussion has taken quite a turn. I won't disclose the amounts but I will disclose the price difference between the K3 and HU-1P. It was $1,400 pre-tax. I have family 2 hours away so we planned around the trip.

Here are some of the reasons I went with Hailun:

1) Walnut finish

2) 15 year warranty - transferable. I know we're taking a risk on a newer brand but I feel comfortable with their longer warranty. And I can always trade-in later if need be.

3)To tell you the truth, we don't know which sounds better...sounds the same to me since I don't have trained ears so better to go with a cheaper priced piano.

4)I chose the H5 over the H1 due to its musicality output and it's frame style.

5) Possible appreciation in the future (per my husband's speculation based on sales manager)

We were looking for our 4 1/2 year old son and thought the Hailun would be best for our needs at this time.

#1960428 - 09/17/12 10:15 PM Re: Hailun Uprights [Re: mbellephan]
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Danville, California
"5) Possible appreciation in the future (per my husband's speculation based on sales manager)"

OK - I cannot resist.

Can you expound on this point a bit for us please? I'm curious to say the least.

Thanks

#1960470 - 09/18/12 01:15 AM Re: Hailun Uprights [Re: mbellephan]
Kurtmen Offline
500 Post Club Member

mbellephan,

Thank you very much for replying with this information. As a dealer it's always interesting to know the consumer's perspectives. Enjoy your piano wink

#1960650 - 09/18/12 12:25 PM Re: Hailun Uprights [Re: mbellephan]
gnuboi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Don't expect to "make" money out of it. I think at best you can sell for what you paid, and lose only inflation, and that is if future Hailuns go up in price. And that would only happen if 1) Hailun thinks it is an established brand and all its competitors are raising prices, or 2) the yuan rises against the dollar (yea right).

#1962712 - 09/22/12 06:12 PM Re: Hailun Uprights [Re: mbellephan]
mbellephan Offline

I'm not expecting to make money from the piano down the road but if I do sell, it would be nice to get what I paid for it. The sales manager did say that the Hailun will appreciate...referencing Petrof back in the day. But I'm sure it's all sales talk.

#1962724 - 09/22/12 06:28 PM Re: Hailun Uprights [Re: mbellephan]
Jonathan Alford Offline

Originally Posted By: mbellephan
I'm not expecting to make money from the piano down the road but if I do sell, it would be nice to get what I paid for it. The sales manager did say that the Hailun will appreciate...referencing Petrof back in the day. But I'm sure it's all sales talk.

All sales talk. I am sure you know that with almost every product you purchase new you take a depreciation hit immediately. I would venture to say that if you keep some products a long time, you might get back what you paid for it - but inflation takes hold and you end up losing.

For now, forget about selling a piano after purchasing it - just enjoy the beautiful sounds it makes!

#1962739 - 09/22/12 06:49 PM Re: Hailun Uprights [Re: mbellephan]
monads Offline

Loc: CA
Congrats on your purchase! I'm sure it'll fit your needs perfectly. I keep waiting for Hailun to release the HU 8V for reviews. But I don't understand why this particular model was designed without a sostenuto pedal? If they included the same pedal options as the Kawai K8 upright it would be a direct competitor.

#1962811 - 09/22/12 09:12 PM Re: Hailun Uprights [Re: mbellephan]
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Congrats to your new piano - "whatever" its name!

Norbert smile

#1962813 - 09/22/12 09:13 PM Re: Hailun Uprights [Re: mbellephan]
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Danville, California
Originally Posted By: mbellephan

Maybe what he meant was "Hailun appreciates your buying this piano".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
101 registered (Anticlock, Amaranth, aesop, anotherscott, 26 invisible), 1101 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75979 Members
42 Forums
157133 Topics
2307683 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
a video of Alexander Siloti's daughter playing the piano
by Michael Sayers
08/28/14 08:26 PM
Kimball spinet neoprene lifter nuts
by dschwoyer
08/28/14 08:22 PM
Looking for a re-built Steinway or Steinwas
by ColinD
08/28/14 07:29 PM
First time purchasing an acoustic piano, need some help.
by Lockon52
08/28/14 07:14 PM
Yamaha Clavinova CVP-83s Parts needed
by Jason Solis
08/28/14 06:57 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission