Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2026280 - 02/03/13 11:37 AM Re: Music Theory 101 - Ask questions here! [Re: Bobpickle]
Jean-Luc Offline

Loc: France
I think you are right, it is most definitively a minor chord and it should be ii, not II smile

Jean-Luc

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2026778 - 02/04/13 09:16 AM Re: Music Theory 101 - Ask questions here! [Re: Jean-Luc]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

I must be learning something then! There's no way I would have picked up on this a couple months ago, and a couple months before that it would have been absolute gibberish.

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2027587 - 02/05/13 05:40 PM Re: Music Theory 101 - Ask questions here! [Re: Bobpickle]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
Hopefully you guys can help me.

I'm learning chords in a pattern. I learned the c chords and did the pattern like this: RH: ceg, egc, gce, ceg LH: ceg, egc, gce, ceg.

Now I'm to add the E major. So I'm not sure I have this right.

so I would go RH: eg#a, g#ae, aeg#, eg#a

Um is that right?? I'm just inverting the Icord correct? So lost here HELP!

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#2027592 - 02/05/13 05:53 PM Re: Music Theory 101 - Ask questions here! [Re: BeccaBb]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BeccaBb
Hopefully you guys can help me.

I'm learning chords in a pattern. I learned the c chords and did the pattern like this: RH: ceg, egc, gce, ceg LH: ceg, egc, gce, ceg.

Now I'm to add the E major. So I'm not sure I have this right.

so I would go RH: eg#a, g#ae, aeg#, eg#a

Um is that right?? I'm just inverting the Icord correct? So lost here HELP!

eg#b.

The inversions looked fine though.

XXIX-XXXII

#2027595 - 02/05/13 05:56 PM Re: Music Theory 101 - Ask questions here! [Re: Bobpickle]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

LOL yes I meant b. smile

Thanks. It's my first time figuring out inversions on my own.

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#2027728 - 02/05/13 09:35 PM Re: Music Theory 101 - Ask questions here! [Re: BeccaBb]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

LOL yes I meant b. smile

I was thinking, "I don't even need to go to the piano to know that would be one ugly sounding chord!" smile

XXIX-XXXII

#2027729 - 02/05/13 09:37 PM Re: Music Theory 101 - Ask questions here! [Re: BeccaBb]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
That's great Becca, you will find that using inversions can be fun and smooths out somethings by not having to jump all over to play chord progressions. Maybe just moving two fingers instead of your whole hand to a new position. grin

Never get directions from someone who hasn't been there.

Just be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

#2027745 - 02/05/13 10:25 PM Re: Music Theory 101 - Ask your theory questions here! [Re: Bobpickle]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
Originally Posted By: aTallGuyNH
LOL yes I meant b. smile

I was thinking, "I don't even need to go to the piano to know that would be one ugly sounding chord!"

Perhaps better to go to the piano though. By changing the B in the e major to an A instead (ie. E, G#, A) you've got the makings of an Amaj7. Just add a C# and you have the entire Amaj7. Move the notes around or spread them out. But, any way that you can find to play this chord, it is going to sound very hip and nice. Not ugly at all.

Of course, this is entirely off topic of the E major. Just pointing this out though, as sometimes what looks like it may be ugly on paper, is not that way at all.

#2029223 - 02/08/13 09:19 AM Re: Music Theory 101 - Ask your theory questions here! [Re: Bobpickle]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

I gotta say, without the C# in there, I'm still standing by my original conclusion smile

With the C#, that is one seriously awkward chord to play, for all inversions. At least under my fingers.

XXIX-XXXII

#2029273 - 02/08/13 12:00 PM Re: Music Theory 101 - Ask your theory questions here! [Re: Bobpickle]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks Ragdoll! That is exactly why my teacher is having me start to do inversions. I was having issues with my chord changes in Greensleeves. It's getting better now. smile

Greener, okay so if I have this right it's E, G#, A, C#?

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#2029285 - 02/08/13 12:48 PM Re: Music Theory 101 - Ask your theory questions here! [Re: BeccaBb]
Greener Offline

Greener, okay so if I have this right it's E, G#, A, C#?

These notes make up an Amaj7 in it's second inversion. If I saw this (Amaj7) in a score I would make sure I have A in my bass.

I may have complicating things. Sorry if I have.

All your inversions of the E major triad, including the notes E,G#,B are correct.

I was trying to point out that when we accidentally included the A, it is not necessarily going to turn it into an ugly chord, just a different chord and sound. We are very close to having an Amaj7, which is nice sounding chord.

A, C#, E, G# = Amaj7

With the C#, that is one seriously awkward chord to play, for all inversions. At least under my fingers.

OK try this:
Keep the E major triad, but add a C# in your right hand.

So, RH reading bottom up is E,G#,B,C#

Now put this over an A bass in your LH.

Unless I am loosing my mind (it is quite possible crazy ) this is a nice sound.

It is a Amaj9.

Back to the Amaj7 though (drop the B).

Play LH A Bass, and play E, G#, C# in your right hand. Almost as nice as the Amaj9 but not as full.

Agree though, If you drop the nice notes and just keep the dissonant ones (G#,A) it is not so nice any more.

#2032233 - 02/13/13 01:39 AM Re: Music Theory 101 - Ask your theory questions here! [Re: Greener]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Greener

OK try this:

Agree though, If you drop the nice notes and just keep the dissonant ones (G#,A) it is not so nice any more.

We're on the same page re: the sounds. When I said "awkward" I meant physically... none of the inversions of Amaj7 work well for my fingers.

XXIX-XXXII

#2032315 - 02/13/13 07:47 AM Re: Music Theory 101 - Ask your theory questions here! [Re: aTallGuyNH]
Greener Offline

When I said "awkward" I meant physically... none of the inversions of Amaj7 work well for my fingers.

One way you could think of it, is that you just need to add the immediate adjacent note below the root (of the major triad) to make the major 7. For example, for a Cmaj7 you could simply play the B and C together with your thumb of your RH. Or the F and E for Fmaj7. The other inversions you will need to work on, and yes, a little more awkward when the root and the major 7 are made up of black and white notes. But, only 4 notes in total required and you have 10 fingers. So shouldn't be so bad.

You will be coming across them.

#2034992 - 02/17/13 09:14 PM Re: Music Theory 101 - Ask your theory questions here! [Re: Bobpickle]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
A free version of the excellent text, A Jazz Improvisation Primer that discusses and explains some great jazz theory and also broaches how to approach beginning improvising in the jazz idiom: http://www.outsideshore.com/music/a-jazz-improvisation-primer/

#2035337 - 02/18/13 03:33 PM Re: Music Theory 101 - Ask questions here! [Re: Bobpickle]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Just saw this posted elsewhere on the forums. Another excellently cataloged (and very comprehensive) guide on everything from notation to scales to chords to figured bass to even transposition guides, counterpoint, and comprehensive musical history! Probably the single largest cataloged resource on the internet.

http://www.dolmetsch.com/theoryintro.htm

This next page is the best catalog/encyclopedia of scales I've ever seen that lists scale notes, scale intervals, as well as note-to-note intervals. Amazing! And it even helped me clear up a question of nomenclature regarding the different bebop scales.

http://www.dolmetsch.com/pianochords.htm

much thanks to pianoloverus

Edited by Bobpickle (02/18/13 03:41 PM)

#2172661 - 10/27/13 07:53 AM Re: Music Theory 101 - Ask questions here! [Re: Bobpickle]
Jean-Luc Offline

Loc: France
I stumbled upon a nice free music theory course from the North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics today and maybe it can be useful for some beginners so here is the link to the playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCE57776525500562

smile

Jean-Luc

#2172722 - 10/27/13 11:06 AM Re: Music Theory 101 - Ask questions here! [Re: Bobpickle]
alexh7686 Offline

The course I've been using is a YouTube course by a pianist called Andrew Furmanczyk. I've found it very helpful. Has a course focusing on technique and a separate one focusing solely on theory.

Also has some videos of him playing. Very talented musician and fine teacher IMO. He keeps it light hearted and tries to make it as simple as possible so it is easy for anyone, regardless of musical background to understand.

Link to it is http://www.youtube.com/user/Lypur

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
163 registered (accordeur, Abby Pianoman, ajames, Almaviva, Allan W., 51 invisible), 1517 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75984 Members
42 Forums
157142 Topics
2307834 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to practice a fast piece for amateur competitions
by RonaldSteinway
08/29/14 11:56 AM
Cromatic lead in Elton John song
by Visalia
08/29/14 11:56 AM
Chopin experts: this is driving me nuts
by riley80
08/29/14 09:40 AM
At Last - My VPC1 is Ordered!
by EmptySpace
08/29/14 09:32 AM
Pin block not contacting plate flange
by Bob
08/29/14 08:33 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission