2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, antune, 11 invisible), 1,784 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Jazz+ Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

E
E
This is simply amazing. There is no way to teach a 4 year old to do this. The kid is a savant. His parents ought to be really proud.

Schimmel 130T
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The fact that this 4-year-old boy can comprehend this music and have the technique to play like this is mind-boggling. Total prodigy! I'd bet he has a very high general intelligence too.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
About 3:10, there is a view from under the keybed, which looks like there is a player mechanism. So he may have learned by watching the keys go down and using that as a guide. That is a time-honored way of learning to play piano. Both Fats Waller and Duke Ellington were introduced to jazz following along to James P. Johnson's roll of Carolina Shout.

Semipro Tech
Jazz+ Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
What pieces is he playing?

Online Content
His enthusiasm and delight is wonderful to watch. Of course, many of the great young pianists today were even more advanced at a similar age, e.g.

Haochen Zhang gave his debut recital at the Shanghai Music Hall at the age of five, performing all of Bach’s two-part inventions, as well as sonatas by Haydn and Mozart. His orchestral debut was made at the age of six and he was awarded first prize at the Shanghai Piano Competition at the age of seven and nine. Following this success, at the age of eleven, he gave tours in all the major cities in China performing the complete Chopin Etudes op.10, Beethoven and Mozart Sonatas.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
It was only a matter of time. I'm waiting for someone to organize the first In-Utero Competition.

Fazioli 228.
The piece he played is Thiman Water Pieces No.5 Flood-Time.

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
His enthusiasm and delight is wonderful to watch. Of course, many of the great young pianists today were even more advanced at a similar age, e.g.

Haochen Zhang gave his debut recital at the Shanghai Music Hall at the age of five, performing all of Bach’s two-part inventions, as well as sonatas by Haydn and Mozart. His orchestral debut was made at the age of six and he was awarded first prize at the Shanghai Piano Competition at the age of seven and nine. Following this success, at the age of eleven, he gave tours in all the major cities in China performing the complete Chopin Etudes op.10, Beethoven and Mozart Sonatas.

Of course. But it is still amazing.

Jazz+ Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gould
The piece he played is Thiman Water Pieces No.5 Flood-Time.

All three pieces ?

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Numerian
It was only a matter of time. I'm waiting for someone to organize the first In-Utero Competition.
[Linked Image]

Best regards,

Deborah
P
P
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

I've read many times that you can perfectly develop your technique while you're adolescent. I remember reading from either Hough or Gibbons that he really developed when he was 17. There are certainly plenty of other examples.

What is best for a (very) young musician ? To focus on obtaining a transcendental virtuoso technique the earlier possible or to have a well rounded musical and non-musical education ? (this isn't a rhetorical question)

Otherwise, the video was great.

Last edited by Praeludium; 08/23/12 04:24 PM.
Online Content
Originally Posted by Praeludium

What is best for a (very) young musician ? To focus on obtaining a transcendental virtuoso technique the earlier possible or to have a well rounded musical and non-musical education ? (this isn't a rhetorical question
I don't think it's a choice between one or the other. All good teachers of the most young pianists will be focusing on technique and musicianship. It's just that great technique is probably doable in a shorter amount of time than great musicianship which I think is more of a life long learning process. I'd estimate the best pianists mostly have a great technique by the time they graduate from a conservatory... after 10-15 years practice.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/23/12 04:43 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Praeludium
What is best for a (very) young musician ? To focus on obtaining a transcendental virtuoso technique the earlier possible or to have a well rounded musical and non-musical education ? (this isn't a rhetorical question).
I agree with pianoloverus that both are important but IMO, of paramount importance is allowing the child to have a healthy childhood. Sometimes overly ambitious parents live vicariously through the success of their child prodigy, putting tremendous pressure on the child to perform, compete and win. Sometimes child prodigies are self driven and miss out on their own childhoods. A healthy balance must be found between musical training and guiding the prodigy to have as normal a childhood as possible. Long term personal happiness is, IMO, more important than developing even the most exceptional talent. I don't envy the parents of these little stars.

Best regards,

Deborah
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gooddog
I don't envy the parents of these little stars.

+1

I hope he has a lot of toy cars on the floor of his room. Maybe a soccer ball in the back yard....

Justin
-------
Bach English Suite #5
Scarlatti Sonata K141 . L422
Mozart Sonata K333
Schubert Impromptu opus 90 D899
Schubert Moment Musicaux opus 94 D780
Jazz+ Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
What are the 2nd and 3rd pieces he plays?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
This child has a remarkable talent. He is not a virtuoso nor does he play better than any master. I think this kind of hyperbole does young musicians a disservice.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
The kid seems to be having a ball playing the piano. He's certainly demonstrating more joy than most piano students at lessons and recitals.

And he's much better than some of the crud put on youtube by idiotic, clueless parents.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
E
E
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
The kid seems to be having a ball playing the piano. He's certainly demonstrating more joy than most piano students at lessons and recitals.

And he's much better than some of the crud put on youtube by idiotic, clueless parents.

I agree. I see nothing in this video to indicate his parents are pushing him too hard at the expense of playing and being a kid. I'll bet his parents are just as surprised and delighted about his talent as we are. The real test will come in future years when some parents might be tempted to capitalize on this talent.

I also agree with the earlier comment that it is likely he learned to play from the piano player system. But how did he learn the fingering?! Children this age absorb and learn about the world very differently than adults do, and this is an interesting case study.

Schimmel 130T

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission