Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
128 registered (Anita Potter, AnimistFvR, accordeur, ando, anamnesis, ankesh, 37 invisible), 1615 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1947536 - 08/22/12 10:17 PM Amazing 4 Year Old Piano Virtuoso
Jazz+ Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1947548 - 08/22/12 10:35 PM Re: 4 Year Old Boy Plays Better Than Any Master [Re: Jazz+]
Elkayem Offline

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
This is simply amazing. There is no way to teach a 4 year old to do this. The kid is a savant. His parents ought to be really proud.

#1947594 - 08/23/12 12:12 AM Re: 4 Year Old Boy Plays Better Than Any Master [Re: Jazz+]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
The fact that this 4-year-old boy can comprehend this music and have the technique to play like this is mind-boggling. Total prodigy! I'd bet he has a very high general intelligence too.

#1947609 - 08/23/12 01:31 AM Re: 4 Year Old Boy Plays Better Than Any Master [Re: Jazz+]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
About 3:10, there is a view from under the keybed, which looks like there is a player mechanism. So he may have learned by watching the keys go down and using that as a guide. That is a time-honored way of learning to play piano. Both Fats Waller and Duke Ellington were introduced to jazz following along to James P. Johnson's roll of Carolina Shout.

#1947642 - 08/23/12 04:17 AM Re: 4 Year Old Boy Plays Better Than Any Master [Re: Jazz+]
Jazz+ Offline
500 Post Club Member

What pieces is he playing?

#1947694 - 08/23/12 08:21 AM Re: 4 Year Old Boy Plays Better Than Any Master [Re: Jazz+]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
His enthusiasm and delight is wonderful to watch. Of course, many of the great young pianists today were even more advanced at a similar age, e.g.

Haochen Zhang gave his debut recital at the Shanghai Music Hall at the age of five, performing all of Bach’s two-part inventions, as well as sonatas by Haydn and Mozart. His orchestral debut was made at the age of six and he was awarded first prize at the Shanghai Piano Competition at the age of seven and nine. Following this success, at the age of eleven, he gave tours in all the major cities in China performing the complete Chopin Etudes op.10, Beethoven and Mozart Sonatas.

#1947708 - 08/23/12 08:59 AM Re: 4 Year Old Boy Plays Better Than Any Master [Re: Jazz+]
Numerian Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It was only a matter of time. I'm waiting for someone to organize the first In-Utero Competition.

#1947710 - 08/23/12 09:03 AM Re: 4 Year Old Boy Plays Better Than Any Master [Re: Jazz+]
Gould Offline

Loc: Earth
The piece he played is Thiman Water Pieces No.5 Flood-Time.

#1947918 - 08/23/12 02:49 PM Re: 4 Year Old Boy Plays Better Than Any Master [Re: pianoloverus]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
His enthusiasm and delight is wonderful to watch. Of course, many of the great young pianists today were even more advanced at a similar age, e.g.

Haochen Zhang gave his debut recital at the Shanghai Music Hall at the age of five, performing all of Bach’s two-part inventions, as well as sonatas by Haydn and Mozart. His orchestral debut was made at the age of six and he was awarded first prize at the Shanghai Piano Competition at the age of seven and nine. Following this success, at the age of eleven, he gave tours in all the major cities in China performing the complete Chopin Etudes op.10, Beethoven and Mozart Sonatas.

Of course. But it is still amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hakkithepianist

#1947931 - 08/23/12 03:10 PM Re: 4 Year Old Boy Plays Better Than Any Master [Re: Gould]
Jazz+ Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Gould
The piece he played is Thiman Water Pieces No.5 Flood-Time.

All three pieces ?

#1947935 - 08/23/12 03:21 PM Re: 4 Year Old Boy Plays Better Than Any Master [Re: Numerian]
gooddog Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Originally Posted By: Numerian
It was only a matter of time. I'm waiting for someone to organize the first In-Utero Competition.

Deborah

#1947969 - 08/23/12 04:23 PM Re: 4 Year Old Boy Plays Better Than Any Master [Re: pianoloverus]
Praeludium Offline

Loc: Besançon, France
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus

I've read many times that you can perfectly develop your technique while you're adolescent. I remember reading from either Hough or Gibbons that he really developed when he was 17. There are certainly plenty of other examples.

What is best for a (very) young musician ? To focus on obtaining a transcendental virtuoso technique the earlier possible or to have a well rounded musical and non-musical education ? (this isn't a rhetorical question)

Otherwise, the video was great.

Edited by Praeludium (08/23/12 04:24 PM)

#1947980 - 08/23/12 04:43 PM Re: 4 Year Old Boy Plays Better Than Any Master [Re: Praeludium]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Praeludium

What is best for a (very) young musician ? To focus on obtaining a transcendental virtuoso technique the earlier possible or to have a well rounded musical and non-musical education ? (this isn't a rhetorical question
I don't think it's a choice between one or the other. All good teachers of the most young pianists will be focusing on technique and musicianship. It's just that great technique is probably doable in a shorter amount of time than great musicianship which I think is more of a life long learning process. I'd estimate the best pianists mostly have a great technique by the time they graduate from a conservatory... after 10-15 years practice.

Edited by pianoloverus (08/23/12 04:43 PM)

#1948025 - 08/23/12 06:05 PM Re: 4 Year Old Boy Plays Better Than Any Master [Re: Praeludium]
gooddog Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Originally Posted By: Praeludium
What is best for a (very) young musician ? To focus on obtaining a transcendental virtuoso technique the earlier possible or to have a well rounded musical and non-musical education ? (this isn't a rhetorical question).
I agree with pianoloverus that both are important but IMO, of paramount importance is allowing the child to have a healthy childhood. Sometimes overly ambitious parents live vicariously through the success of their child prodigy, putting tremendous pressure on the child to perform, compete and win. Sometimes child prodigies are self driven and miss out on their own childhoods. A healthy balance must be found between musical training and guiding the prodigy to have as normal a childhood as possible. Long term personal happiness is, IMO, more important than developing even the most exceptional talent. I don't envy the parents of these little stars.

Deborah

#1948294 - 08/24/12 07:07 AM Re: 4 Year Old Boy Plays Better Than Any Master [Re: gooddog]
jnod Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Originally Posted By: gooddog
I don't envy the parents of these little stars.

+1

I hope he has a lot of toy cars on the floor of his room. Maybe a soccer ball in the back yard....
Bach English Suite #5
Scarlatti Sonata K141 . L422
Mozart Sonata K333
Schubert Impromptu opus 90 D899
Schubert Moment Musicaux opus 94 D780

#1948780 - 08/25/12 12:14 AM Re: 4 Year Old Boy Plays Better Than Any Master [Re: Jazz+]
Jazz+ Offline
500 Post Club Member

What are the 2nd and 3rd pieces he plays?

#1948786 - 08/25/12 12:55 AM Re: Amazing 4 Year Old Piano Virtuoso [Re: Jazz+]
Ferdinand Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
This child has a remarkable talent. He is not a virtuoso nor does he play better than any master. I think this kind of hyperbole does young musicians a disservice.

#1948788 - 08/25/12 01:16 AM Re: Amazing 4 Year Old Piano Virtuoso [Re: Jazz+]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
The kid seems to be having a ball playing the piano. He's certainly demonstrating more joy than most piano students at lessons and recitals.

And he's much better than some of the crud put on youtube by idiotic, clueless parents.

#1948892 - 08/25/12 10:10 AM Re: Amazing 4 Year Old Piano Virtuoso [Re: AZNpiano]
Elkayem Offline

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Originally Posted By: AZNpiano
The kid seems to be having a ball playing the piano. He's certainly demonstrating more joy than most piano students at lessons and recitals.

And he's much better than some of the crud put on youtube by idiotic, clueless parents.

I agree. I see nothing in this video to indicate his parents are pushing him too hard at the expense of playing and being a kid. I'll bet his parents are just as surprised and delighted about his talent as we are. The real test will come in future years when some parents might be tempted to capitalize on this talent.

I also agree with the earlier comment that it is likely he learned to play from the piano player system. But how did he learn the fingering?! Children this age absorb and learn about the world very differently than adults do, and this is an interesting case study.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!

Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Please help me to find out the pattern of this Cdim7
by SZ54
6 minutes 30 seconds ago
3 sensors per key vs 4?
by AnimistFvR
23 minutes 25 seconds ago
Request For The Pursuit Of Knowledge
by Louis Podesta
Today at 07:09 PM
Kawai K500 or Seiler ED126
by Mizar
Today at 07:03 PM
3 sensors per key vs 4?
by AnimistFvR
Today at 06:58 PM
Forum Stats
77081 Members
42 Forums
159431 Topics
2341967 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission