2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (brennbaer, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#194877 03/30/08 08:39 PM
L
L1037 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hello,

I just got a new Essex EUP-123E in Sapele Mahogany. I was wondering what people's experiences with this peticular piano and also, what is the retail price of this model?

Thanks!

As a wise man once sung, "and more, much more than this, I did it my way."
#194878 03/30/08 08:47 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If you liked it in the shop then I am sure you will enjoy it in your home. Congratulations! Enjoy!

If it is a done deal, why bother now asking about prices? You may just upset yourself unnecessarily if you hear that someone else paid less.

Retail prices vary from dealer to dealer depending on location and many other factors. Other buyers end up with remorse or regret when they come to PW trying to find out after purchasing whether or not they got the lowest price ever on a piano...Others will travel the continent looking for the cheapest price...Be glad you found something convenient and hopefully from a reputable dealer who will provide tunings in your home and respond to any inquiries as the piano settles in.

P.S. The publication Music Trades reported in May 2005 an agreement for Pearl River to build these for Steinway. The pianos were expected to reach the marketplace in 2006, so it may be that you have one of the first ones. There may be a relatively small number of new Essex owners who read PW regularly to respond to your inquiry.

#194879 04/02/08 06:19 PM
Originally posted by L1037:
Hello,

I just got a new Essex EUP-123E in Sapele Mahogany. I was wondering what people's experiences with this peticular piano and also, what is the retail price of this model?

Thanks!
Congratulations, L1037 (great name by the way!). The Essex EUP-123E is quickly becoming one of our best sellers given its structural integrity, power, touch, and look. Retail prices vary from dealer to dealer but, roughly, it is $7,999.

Out of curiosity, could you comment on your experience in shopping other pianos and what made you choose the Essex in the end?

#194880 04/02/08 06:37 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
[QUOTE]Originally posted by L1037:
Hello,

I just got a new Essex EUP-123E in Sapele Mahogany. I was wondering what people's experiences with this peticular piano and also, what is the retail price of this model
[/QUOTE

Larry Fine has them listed in the 07/08 book for $5,890.00

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#194881 04/02/08 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Rod Verhnjak:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by L1037:
[b] Hello,

I just got a new Essex EUP-123E in Sapele Mahogany. I was wondering what people's experiences with this peticular piano and also, what is the retail price of this model
[/QUOTE

Larry Fine has them listed in the 07/08 book for $5,890.00 [/b]
Retail prices depend on dealer overhead, area of country where showcased, and margin philosophy. For the most part, Larry Fine's (one person's opinion) Steinway-family prices reflect the lowest price sold in larger markets and the middle price sold in small markets.

I'm basing this on discussions with other Steinway dealers and direct observation, not simply a formula which I apply to every piano under the sun.

#194882 04/02/08 07:45 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I find it odd that Larry has prices listed for some pianos and dealers say the price is way too high in his book and there is plenty of room for negotiation.

And now you say the price is low in his book.

I'm confused, I thought Larry used the same formula for all wholesale prices.

I agree prices depend on demographics, but then
every dealer in the same area will have similar costs so the FORMULA would be the same.

Anyways I was just answering the question as you did. I was not aware his book posts the lowest prices.

Verhnjak Pianos
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#194883 04/03/08 09:45 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Street price on a similar model Pearl River would be $3300 or less than half the price you were quoted by Madam. Nice piano but at Madam's price you could be into a brand new Yamaha U1 PM and still have money left over for a weekend vacation.

Piano Technician, member Piano Technicians Guild.
#194884 04/04/08 11:11 PM
I am not ssmart on these things but I recently looked at the Essex EUP-123E in Mahogany and was quoted a price of $5800 or 5900. I don't recall exactly but I was told that the Essex carries the Steinway name and that the price of the Steinway's, Bostons and Essex pianos was fixed and dealers were not allowed to sell below list.

#194885 04/05/08 03:11 AM
M
M
Craigen,
a similar model Pearl River ..
What model of Pear River is similar to Essex EUP-123E?

Thanks,
Masaki

#194886 04/07/08 06:37 PM
I find it odd that Larry has prices listed for some pianos and dealers say the price is way too high in his book and there is plenty of room for negotiation.

[b]I'm confused, I thought Larry used the same formula for all wholesale prices.

every dealer in the same area will have similar costs so the FORMULA would be the same.

Anyways I was just answering the question as you did. I was not aware his book posts the lowest prices. [/b]
---I'm sorry your confused, Rod. But both you and I know that whatever retail price the wholesaler for the respective brand decides to tell Larry Fine is what he plugs in to his formula. I actually was told by an executive for a certain company that he purposely quoted retail prices high knowing that people would refer to the Piano Book, just as you do, as the Bible.

#194887 04/07/08 09:49 PM
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
inanothershoes: In my experience, which is based on receiving sales flyers from authorized dealerships, prominent advertising in the local paper, and "personal" invitations to selection events. Steinway sales are advertised as "The piano that never goes on sale . . . is ON SALE!!!" My conclusion is that the Steinway family of pianos never goes on sale except when they go on sale, which they seem to do quite regularly. There have been other threads on this forum that refer to this phenomenon that you might want to check.

#194888 04/08/08 12:20 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Pianomadam:
[b] I find it odd that Larry has prices listed for some pianos and dealers say the price is way too high in his book and there is plenty of room for negotiation.

[b]I'm confused, I thought Larry used the same formula for all wholesale prices.

Anyways I was just answering the question as you did. I was not aware his book posts the lowest prices. [/b]
---I'm sorry your confused, Rod. But both you and I know that whatever retail price the wholesaler for the respective brand decides to tell Larry Fine is what he plugs in to his formula. I actually was told by an executive for a certain company that he purposely quoted retail prices high knowing that people would refer to the Piano Book, just as you do, as the Bible. [/b]

So what you are saying is that someone told Larry your wholesale price but they gave him a false low price?

And yes, I am very aware as I have mentioned before that some prices are high in the book/bible due to misrepresentation of reps or distributors. And some prices are low due to price increases especially for pianos coming from Europe or utilizing many parts from Europe.

I am not a disciple of Larry but I will quote his writing, not always as gospel.

May I suggest a passage from the Gospel according to Larry.
Page 113 verses 7 to 14 Titled List price. Please note, words are not in red.

Verhnjak Pianos
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#194889 04/08/08 12:41 AM
F
F
Rod,
You are right. L.Fine quotes $ 5890.00 for List price. That price is arrived at by wholesale cost the dealer pays before freight from warehouse etc.
His formula is to take wholesale prices given to him by distributors/manufacterers and publish a list price under the same margin formula for all.
He states that in his book. He also states that some manufactuerers publish a list price that differs from his formula.
Check page 113 of the 2007-2008 supplement.

Frank Woodside
www.hzmpiano.com
#194890 04/16/08 10:57 PM
L
L1037 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally posted by Pianomadam:
[b] Hello,

Thanks!
Congratulations, L1037 (great name by the way!). The Essex EUP-123E is quickly becoming one of our best sellers given its structural integrity, power, touch, and look. Retail prices vary from dealer to dealer but, roughly, it is $7,999.

Out of curiosity, could you comment on your experience in shopping other pianos and what made you choose the Essex in the end? [/b]
I noticed that this piano had a very nice and lively sound. In my opinon also, I thought it was the best looking one after about 30 other piano stores. Comparing this Essex to other pianos we looked, I liked the touch and tone on this one the best. I believe when looking at the Essex, I thought, this piano seems so much more alive than the others. Other pianos I looked at were Yamaha U-series (My personal least favorite), Young Chang, Kawai, and Baldwin. Lastly, the people there (Where I bought the Essex) were much more freindly and less in a rush to sell the piano.

Cheers!

#194891 04/16/08 10:58 PM
L
L1037 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hello,

I just got a new Essex in Sapele Mahogany. I was wondering what people's experiences with this peticular piano and also, what is the retail price of this model?

Thanks!

#194892 04/17/08 01:48 AM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
L.

Bluebook lists the EUP123 in Sapeli mahogany at $5790. That's considerably less than Madam's $7999. so it may be out-of-date.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
#194893 04/18/08 05:53 PM
Turandot,

I was quoting retail, not lowest sale price. It goes without saying that Larry Fine's publication date is always behind the latest price increases that Steinway-designed pianos have (and its likely the same for most brands, but I cannot speak for them). Thus, you need to add approximately 5% to his pricing. Of course, despite price increases from the manufacturer, not all dealers decide to reflect this in their own pricing. Economic times, dealer overhead, exclusivity of brand representation, among other things, all play into pricing.

#194894 04/18/08 06:15 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Pianomadam,

Thanks for the response. I wasn't pulling the $5790 price from L. Fine's publication. I took it from Bluebook. Here is Bluebook's preface to its price lists.

There are no accurate current manufacture suggested retail prices. Retail prices are set by individual dealers. These are NOT manufacturers suggested list prices. Piano Dealers and Piano Factories are closing or cutting back in production because of prevailing economic conditions. There are no two piano dealers that are exactly alike and there are no two piano markets that are exactly alike. There are variations in dealer freight and delivery charges.

Many piano manufacturers now offering large discounts from wholesale prices to dealers. There are no accurate price guides or books because prices are changing so rapidly. Use this list as normal prices before discounts. Prices will differ from dealer to dealer. This is a good time to buy a piano, and prices may not be this good ever again. Use this as a starting point. By no means are these final prices. This is a work in progress and is currently being updated weekly with additional discounts and available information. Please mark this as a favorite and check back weekly for important pricing information.
To me, the interesting part of this preface is the notion that prices are really set by individual retailers. I believe that you and I agree on that. You mentioned as well that prices can go out-of-date quickly. I mentioned that the Bluebook price for that Essex may be out-of-date, so I think we agree on that as well.

One difference between us is that you feel I should add at least 5% to the Bluebook price to get a realistic selling price. Bluebook states that its prices are the baseline for applying discounts. I don't know about Essex specifically, but in many cases of pianos I have personally investigated using Bluebook as a baseline, the available discount does bring the selling price below the Bluebook figure. Incidentally, the spread between 5790 and 7999 is far more than 5%, even if I were to follow your advice and add to the Bluebook price.

I want to make clear that I am not disagreeing with you. I appreciate your answer. If you feel that the $5790 is the lowest possible selling price, I will take your word for it. I'm sure you know quite a bit more about Essex prices than I do.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
#194895 04/18/08 06:20 PM
Got it. I thought you were quoting Larry Fine. I should know better by now that you are not a Fine "sock puppet" smile . You had me scared there. By Bluebook do you mean an online pricing service? book in print? I'm assuming you are not referring to the Ancott directory?

#194896 04/18/08 06:28 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hi Madam,

Here is the link. I'm sure you will just love having this at your disposal.

http://www.bluebookofpianos.com/

Verhnjak Pianos
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission