2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 96 of 190 1 2 94 95 96 97 98 189 190
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yes if I don't play a tune for a while it does get pretty rusty so I try to play half a dozen or so review pieces every day to keep them memorised. You only need to play them through once or twice so it doesn't take long. They're never quite as smooth as when I'm practising them properly though.

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I started reviewing some of my later Book 1 pieces. I'm reviewing a few pieces each day, in addition to what I'm working on in Book 2. When I get to ones that I really want to keep, I will put them on my playlist, and continue to review them daily. I hate that I worked so hard to learn them and then forgot them so easily.

I started practicing the first phrase of "Alexander's Ragtime Band" today. I'm going to really like this one!

Unfortunately, I will be away from the piano for a week, starting Wednesday, so I will need to do a lot of "makeup" work when I get back.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sorry for my poor participation here. I know I said I was going to cruise through some Book 2 pieces, but I am finding myself putting a lot of time in my recital piece. I'll be back soon.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Always Wanted to Play Piano, your name is so long it crunches all the titles on the AB forum... smile

And this post fixes it... lol

Last edited by Mark...; 04/08/10 09:38 PM.
Working forever on Guantanamera.
Theme from overature done.
Light & Blue coming along.
Hungarian Rhapsody just started.

Rod Michael
Mason & Hamlin AA, SN 93018
Yamaha CGP-1000, SN UCNZ01010
Zoom Q3

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark...
Always Wanted to Play Piano, your name is so long it crunches all the titles on the AB forum... smile

Well, I'd have chosen "Mark..." but it was already taken. And it's not my name. Two major strikes against that. So I went with the next best thing.

Actually, doesn't it wrap?

Last edited by Always Wanted to Play Piano; 04/09/10 10:07 AM.

Casio Ap-200
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Always Wanted to Play Piano
Originally Posted by Mark...

Well, I'd have chosen "Mark..." but it was already taken. And it's not my name. Two major strikes against that. So I went with the next best thing.

Actually, doesn't it wrap?

It crunches the thread titles for me until I post...:)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm mostly just bumping this thread back up to page 1.

I returned from a week long trip to Georgia to visit family, and am back to working on "Alexander's Ragtime Band" and reviewing previous pieces. It only took me a couple of tries to get my fingers working again.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
N
N
Originally Posted by mom3gram
...I returned from a week long trip to Georgia to visit family, and am back to working on "Alexander's Ragtime Band" and reviewing previous pieces. It only took me a couple of tries to get my fingers working again.
Glad to see you back, lively and happy mom3gram. Welcome home smile

Nguyen - Student Pianist
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I hit a snag on the first bar of the second page of "Alexander's..". It looks simple enough, but my left hand just isn't cooperating. I've played just that section over and over again today but I can't execute it smoothly. Gee, the first page went so well that I thought this one would be a piece of cake. help

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I struggled with that section too mom3gram but eventually it started to come.

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm ramping up on the Hokey-Pokey. It's got that dangerous combination of "touch, but annoying". I tend not to finish such pieces.

Casio Ap-200
K
K
I am in two books Two. Alfred's Adult AND Alfred's All-in-One book Two. I have a problem with collecting books. Guantanamera is giving me fits though. I have a problem with timing. I am much better at sight reading the notes. When my French horn playing daughter is home again I am going to get her to help me with this.

Kim in IL

Alfred Adult Level One graduated 2010
I've been taking lessons since 2005
N
N
I have a problem with collecting books too. As a matter of fact, I just ordered a set of Alfred Premier Piano Success Kit 1A yesterday. laugh After a recent discussion here and a read through its very promising Pedagogy, I have the urge to see what it’s all about. LOL.

Guantanamera has been and will always be giving almost everybody fits. Everyone else also has problem with timing, if by timing you mean rhythm & counting. grin

Hang in there Kim smile

K
K
Guantanamera has been and will always be giving almost everybody fits. Everyone else also has problem with timing, if by timing you mean rhythm & counting.

Thanks so much. Does everyone else hate metronomes, also? smile My teacher says it's because the metronome is the boss of me. I am getting much better at working on pieces rather than just acting like a 7 yr old and not doing it. I spent the first five years of lessons acting like I needed a mom to make me practice. I am glad to find these forums.

Kim in IL

Alfred Adult Level One graduated 2010
I've been taking lessons since 2005
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ha ha! I'm a book collector too. I have a large collection of level 1 books, and now I'm expanding that with a collection of level 2 books. LOL I am also a watercolor artist, and have a VAST collection of watercolor books.

"Guantanamera" - didn't like it much but got through it. Probably never got it up to optimum speed. I too have a problem with timing - and I can only seem to play with the metronome once I've got the timing down myself - which sort of defeats the purpose.

"Light and Blue" is coming up for you - a nightmare in timing and rhythm for me. I'm still working on it.

As Nguyen says, hang in there. :-)

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
P
P
Started on La Bamba, looks like this one is going to take me a while.

If you're looking for something to supplement book 2, I can recommend Carol Barratt's The Classic Piano Course book 2 as well. It's around the same level, but not as focused on the chord approach. It's got a similar selection of different music genres, with perhaps a bit more classical music.

Last edited by Physics; 04/21/10 05:22 PM.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I had barely figured out the timing for La Bamba when I broke my arm. I finally got it by slowing it down to where I was counting each bar as 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and (= 8 beats) & had JUST got it up to something like normal speed. Knowing I'll have to relearn it has been one of the WORST things about not being able to play for the past 4 weeks!

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
N
N
Ouch Carol. Didn't knowy ou broke your arm. Get well soon!

I put the entire Book 2 CD into my iPod and listen every morning on my train to work. I have to admit, there aren't many I like except for 1, "Introduction to Dance". :sigh:

Nguyen - Student Pianist
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ouch! When does your cast come off? You may have to take it very slow and easy for a while when it does, and maybe even find some physical therapy exercises to do to limber up.

It shouldn't take you as long to learn La Bamba the second time around. Or you could just take a pass on it if you really don't want to go through that again.

Here's hoping that you heal fast and well.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Page 96 of 190 1 2 94 95 96 97 98 189 190

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission