2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, Carey, 7 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
M
When you work in a piano dealership, the owner gives you the keys, you play every piano in the store then settle down and you play the 1947 Steinway B till 5:30 in the morning until you're all played out and you still want to play more because the piano is begging you to bring out every nuance of tone imaginable and it seems you have entered another world where, in a dreamlike trance, your fingers suddenly capture entrancing blocks of sound, strings of melodies, percussive adventures, and emotional states which at the same time drains you physically yet recharges you and transforms your soul to new realities.........................sound familiar?

T
T
Originally Posted by MusicMinder
When you work in a piano dealership, the owner gives you the keys, you play every piano in the store then settle down and you play the 1947 Steinway B till 5:30 in the morning until you're all played out and you still want to play more because the piano is begging you to bring out every nuance of tone imaginable and it seems you have entered another world where, in a dreamlike trance, your fingers suddenly capture entrancing blocks of sound, strings of melodies, percussive adventures, and emotional states which at the same time drains you physically yet recharges you and transforms your soul to new realities.........................sound familiar?

This is a really lovely description.

Complete Beginner August 2012
'Play Piano' Book 1 - finished
'Play Piano' Book 2 - finished
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Toastie
This morning I woke up at 4am and went downstairs to my keyboard. This has never happened before, although do find I am getting up earlier and going to bed later because my piano obsession is stopping me from sleeping properly.

Does it calm down after a while? It's only been two months and I can't imagine how I can continue with my current level of addiction indefinitely.

This is so wrong..... everybody knows you should have it next to your bed blush

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
When you sit on the sofa watching something on i player and even though it is the Leeds Piano Competition, you feel your piano is watching you and you should be practising!

T
T
When you do half an hour before you start work, pretend you're going to a meeting so you can do another half an hour at lunchtime, then fake a headache so you can sneak off to do another half hour after work. And this is before you drive home to do a few hours more.

I have discovered a cupboard at work filled with various old digital pianos, so I am eating my lunch in there these days.

Complete Beginner August 2012
'Play Piano' Book 1 - finished
'Play Piano' Book 2 - finished
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by EdwardianPiano
Originally Posted by -Frycek
Originally Posted by Tubbie0075
When you sometimes sit beside your piano just admiring it, or when you pat your piano lightly before or after playing, appreciating it like a friend or pet.

Chopin was known to do that.

Did he? Awesome! I do that too. I say goodnight to mine each night. And there are two framed pictures of Chopin on top of my Piano. heart

You shouldn't anthropomorphize pianos. They hate that.

Forrest

Mompou, Cancion y Danza #6
some Chopin, some Bach (always), Debussy
My beliefs are only that unless I can prove them.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Toastie
When you do half an hour before you start work, pretend you're going to a meeting so you can do another half an hour at lunchtime, then fake a headache so you can sneak off to do another half hour after work. And this is before you drive home to do a few hours more.

I have discovered a cupboard at work filled with various old digital pianos, so I am eating my lunch in there these days.

LOL Toastie! My Piano is looking at me right now begging to be played!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You shouldn't anthropomorphize pianos. They hate that.

Forrest

ha

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I was watching err. A 'Blue movie' on a er well known website.

She was sat at a piano and was playing really really well an unknown piece, it was a sad Beethoven type piece. smirk

I was extremely disappointed when she stopped playing the piano and began to 'play' with herself. cursing

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I love this topic. When I am away from my piano, my wife complains because I am playing the table, or the couch, or the steering wheel. I spend all my time on YouTube looking at beautiful pianos, or on PW reading about them. When I watch movies that include a piano, I am more interested in the piano than the story. When I am home again, I can't stay away from the piano. I feel guilty not keeping my wife company at the tv or in the kitchen, but my thoughts are on how long I need to wait before excusing myself to go play. I still love to try every new piano I see and can.t wait to get new music to play on my beautiful Mason-Hamlin. Did I mention that I have loved pianos since I was about two and spent time at Grandpa's house? He was a tuner-tech/rebuilder all his life. I bought many, many uprights, and even a square grand, over the years even though I didn't know how to play. Moving around, I had to let them all go until now, but I have succeeded in one great passion: I taught myself to play.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
...you forget what you were doing while moving from point A to point B in the house, and find yourself walking towards the piano.

This could also be early onset Alzheimer's, I'm not quite sure (only half kidding).

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I was told I would be going to be in hospital for cancer treatment for a month so I went out and bought a cheap, 45 key spring loaded keyboard as opposed to a electronic piano with weighted keys and the hospital staff said no patient ever brought a keyboard to the hospital before. People brought laptops but never keyboards. There aren't many firsts in my life so I guess this is one.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sorry to hear you face cancer treatment Michael- I hope you don't have too hard a time of it and send you my best wishes. I'm glad you have your keyboard.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Michael, I hope you get better soon.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Michael_99
I was told I would be going to be in hospital for cancer treatment for a month so I went out and bought a cheap, 45 key spring loaded keyboard as opposed to a electronic piano with weighted keys and the hospital staff said no patient ever brought a keyboard to the hospital before. People brought laptops but never keyboards. There aren't many firsts in my life so I guess this is one.

Man after my own heart. I was hospitalized with pneumonia for a week this past January. I missed my piano more than anything. More than edible food even. Hope all goes well for you.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Sorry, I may not have phrased my posting appropriately. I was diagnosed in 2007 with cancer and treated during 2008, 2009, and during 2010 I was told by the doctors they couldn't find any more cancer. And my question to the doctors was - politely spoken - but meant humorously - How hard did they look (for the cancer)? Their advice to me was to live every day fully.
I have always lived my life fully each day and continue to do so. So the cancer is in remission is the term. I am very happy to still be alive - and trying to play the piano! I am being treated current for ancillary matters related to the overall treatment but in laymens terms the cancer is gone as far as anybody knows. I am sorry for the misunderstand - but thank you for your concern and nice comments.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Michael, that's a wonderful 'clarification'! (I especially liked you asking exactly how hard the doctors looked...) smile May you continue to stay cancer free!

I know I'm addicted because when asked what I wanted for my upcoming birthday, all I wanted was the piano tuned!

The tech did an evaluation on my old "baby" while he was here and said it would very much improve with hammer reshaping and a full regulation. Hey, family! Here's what I want for Christmas! (And for about the next 5 Christmases - a bit spendy.)

Collector of sheet music I can't play.

Chickering & Sons Quarter Grand (rebuilt 2021)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Glad to hear the cancer has gone Michael.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I just realized this: I must be an addict as I was told by a co-worker today (kiddingly) to "chill out and go to your happy place" when I got a little tense.

I imagined being at my piano!

Collector of sheet music I can't play.

Chickering & Sons Quarter Grand (rebuilt 2021)
J
J
...you get your first real piano (after playing on cheap synths with nonweighted keys), you can't stop thinking about playing it, you read this thread for comfort because you're stuck at work, and then you post a reply because you ran out of thread to read...

Piano... must... piano... *tries not to hyperventilate* m-must... Piiiiiaaaaanooooo!

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission