2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I need to add that many people have no clear idea of what "slow" really means.

It is very very slow, super slow, such as put the metronome on 40 Beats Per Minute, and play one note every click; and that might be too fast.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
The idea of using a drum machine or some other device that gives you a beat, without that tension-inducing metronomic TICK-tock-tock-tock, TICK-tock-tock-tock, is not such a bad idea. I used to have a boom box that had a karaoke feature (which I never used), but which would give a rhythm track with various drum sounds. It didn't read out the tempo in BPM the way my old Roland sequencer did--- it could be configured as a drum machine. Still, it was something that actually suggested music with a beat. You could get into it.

It may be easier to just make friends with the metronome. An acquaintanceship, not a marriage; we don't have to put up with it til death do us part, just until it does its friendly job of helping us to sense a proper and regular beat. If you dislike the sound so much, there are others that may sound more tolerable. Many people just use it to get an idea of the proper tempo to begin a section, or to get what the Italian tempo directions are trying to tell us (we've got to find out somehow; composers and music dictionaries get cagey about this), or set it so it's easier to count the notes or triplets in measures that are tricky. It reminds us to count for ourselves, which is the real value.

Like so many people, it is an acquired taste. Maybe if you try it for no more than five minutes at a time, you'll get the good of it without the overload. There are plenty of people I can tolerate for five minutes, but no more. And frankly, there are many things in life which I just have to re-frame to myself, to adjust my thinking in a more positive way, because resenting or deploring them is just too tiring.

When I was young and energetic, I was certain that I had a perfect sense of timing. But now that I'm old and wore out, I waver more than I used to, apparently. Maybe I have just wised-up, thanks to my friend the metronome, a critic who is truthful even if it hurts, but never critical, and who never blabs a word beyond the privacy of the practice room. Better to find out our flaws there than in in the public eye. I've tried that, and I don't recommend it.

I like the advice people have offered, Virginia, especially about setting it to a very slow speed until you are comfortable and sure, then moving up gradually. I can't turn off the accent beat of my Boss box, but sometimes I set it so it thinks there are a lot of notes in the measure, and then if I make a mistake I don't have to wait for the downbeat to pick it up. And I can turn down the volume so it doesn't blare. It's just there to help, and that's all anyone can ask. If you think kindly about it, it will be kind to you in return.

Clef

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Toastie

My boyfriend finds it really hard to understand... [...]

*going away to hide now as I am not sure this is entirely normal*

You are 100% normal, you just need another boyfriend!

Just kidding laugh ...but you have to be able to do what makes you happy.
I like to sing even if I'm not good at it, because I have fun and I can't help it. I call it self-expression and my partner lives with it. I actually try to make her sing too, because she has a much better voice!

(sorry for the OT)

T
Tech 5 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
[quote=Jeff Clef]The idea of using a drum machine or some other device that gives you a beat, without that tension-inducing metronomic TICK-tock-tock-tock, TICK-tock-tock-tock, is not such a bad idea. I used to have a boom box that had a karaoke feature (which I never used), but which would give a rhythm track with various drum sounds. It didn't read out the tempo in BPM the way my old Roland sequencer did--- it could be configured as a drum machine. Still, it was something that actually suggested music with a beat. You could get into it.

Thanks for the advice, Jeff. I may see if I can find an app for my Mac that will give me a metronome with pleasant sounds. Wonder if they make them with the sound of piano keys instead of the wicked tick tock sound, but that might be confusing. I shall do some research.

Virginia

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."
J.Wooden
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Virginia, GarageBand has a metronome, & you can record acoustic piano, with a whole selection of other instruments as back-up if you so desire. If you have a Mac, you may already have it; if not, it's only about $15 to download.

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
I'd like to pick up on a point made by rocket88. I find 40 bpm too slow to let me keep the pulse (I don't know exactly when the next tick is coming) when I'm struggling with new material and tying my fingers up in knots in a Bach fugue.

I find it much easier to set the beat at 60-80 bpm, play the semiquavers on the BEEP and use the three dit's as preparation time. It's a handy way for me to slow down to 15-20 BPM and not lose the pulse.

OT:
Originally Posted by sinophilia
...you just need another boyfriend!

Diana, I think one boyfriend is enough! smile

Richard
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Had a fellow seriously say to me, "never found a metronome that wasn't defective." smile

IMHO, be it a beeper, a clockworks, Band in a Box, ipod app, get something you can hear. Though it hasn't been mentioned, placing the nome where you can hear a good mix of nome and you, is important.

I personally only use it when "polishing" a song/tune. Also, unless you play ensemble, your timing can be as iffy as you want. Good timing is really for the sake of others, including listeners.

nada
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by Farmerjones
Also, unless you play ensemble, your timing can be as iffy as you want. Good timing is really for the sake of others, including listeners.

I know what you mean but I've found the metronome very useful in resolving flaws in filigree trill work and polyrhythms that had never sounded quite right. A good example is bb. 21-22 in Beethoven's Adagio cantabile, Op. 13.

Richard
T
Tech 5 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Had a fellow seriously say to me, "never found a metronome that wasn't defective." smile

IMHO, be it a beeper, a clockworks, Band in a Box, ipod app, get something you can hear. Though it hasn't been mentioned, placing the nome where you can hear a good mix of nome and you, is important.

I personally only use it when "polishing" a song/tune. Also, unless you play ensemble, your timing can be as iffy as you want. Good timing is really for the sake of others, including listeners.

I thought the purpose of the metronome was to teach the piano student consistency in playing music at the appropriate rhythm or tempo. I have no plans to play with an group of musicians.

Virginia

J.Wooden
T
Tech 5 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
"placing the nome where you can hear a good mix of nome and you, is important."

One of the problems I've encountered when using the metronome is that I can't seem to hit the piano key at the exact time the metronome sounds. You indicate you listen for a good "mix" of sound from piano and metronome. Does this mean you're not in sync with the metronome?

Virginia

J.Wooden
M
M
Sorry if someone already suggested this--I'm sure someone has mentioned in a previous thread on metronomes an app that will flash a light instead of making a sound for the beat. If it's the noise that bothers you, this may work. I can't remember the app.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Virginia Larson
One of the problems I've encountered when using the metronome is that I can't seem to hit the piano key at the exact time the metronome sounds.

This is a matter of anticipation. Even though you may be using a metronome, you still have to have the tempo going in your head (somewhere in there). The metronome is only going to let you know when your internal metronome (in your head) is beginning to go faster or slower. You cannot wait for the metronome to tell you when to play the note.

I would suggest you begin with the single note exercise. Just play middle C over and over right on the beat of the metronome until you can do that without a problem.

You indicate you listen for a good "mix" of sound from piano and metronome. Does this mean you're not in sync with the metronome?

No, it just means you should not have the metronome excessively loud or soft.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
dmd #1950248 08/28/12 08:04 AM
My teacher has me use the metronome once I'm at a point where I can play through most of the piece without too many difficulties or slow downs. Then the metronome is helpful in forcing me to work on the sticky areas where I slow way down.

I wouldn't use the metronome when you are first starting a new piece. It's much more satisfying to be able to play the whole piece decently well, then add in the metronome and work on the sticky parts (for me, that may be weeks later).

"Today you are the perfect age to chase your dream." - Jon Acuff
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bentissimo
My teacher has me use the metronome once I'm at a point where I can play through most of the piece without too many difficulties or slow downs. Then the metronome is helpful in forcing me to work on the sticky areas where I slow way down.

I wouldn't use the metronome when you are first starting a new piece. It's much more satisfying to be able to play the whole piece decently well, then add in the metronome and work on the sticky parts (for me, that may be weeks later).

The problem with that approach is that you have learned the piece with varied tempo, which is sometimes faster, then "slowed-way-down". In reality, that is a series of errors; Erratic tempo is just as much an error as are wrong notes. If the tempo fluctuations were not errors, you wouldn't try to fix them.

Keep in mind that "learning" a piece is putting it into memory, and that includes all aspects of it, the notes, the fingering, the dynamics (volume), and the tempo.

Thus, after learning the piece with tempo errors in your memory, you add the metronome to unlearn those errors.

It is much better to learn it w/o errors in the first place, rather than try to fix them later on. IMHO.

Last edited by rocket88; 08/28/12 10:04 AM. Reason: clarity

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by Bentissimo
...It's much more satisfying to be able to play the whole piece decently well, then add in the metronome and work on the sticky parts...

For me it's more satisfying to learn a piece quickly; I have a long to-do list and limited time left. That means working on the sticky parts as individual exercises (the stickier the passage, the more I use the metronome) and only when all the parts are, er, non-stick and at the same tempo will I even consider playing them together as one whole piece.

This reduces the time I spend on easy passages and significantly reduces mistakes, memorising time, technical mastery time, and, most important for me, moving on to new pieces time.

I can count my learning time per page in days instead of weeks.

Had a fellow seriously say to me, "never found a metronome that wasn't defective."
Took me a while but I geddit now! smile

Richard
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...I wouldn't use the metronome when you are first starting a new piece. It's much more satisfying to be able to play the whole piece decently well, then add in the metronome and work on the sticky parts (for me, that may be weeks later)..."

True for me. In the very initial stages of reading up a new piece, the metronome would be of no use; I have to wait until I'm more confident of the notes. But I'm sure many players are better at reading at sight than I am.

Maybe all metronomes are defective--- maybe even the idea of a metronome is defective, what with the illusive nature of time itself. Mine uses a quartz crystal, but that is not a perfect timekeeper. Seems my quartz watch needs to be adjusted some number of seconds every year.

No human nervous system senses the present; we all live retrospectively as the neurons take their time to fire, the whole system coping with delay after delay. Yet we also live prospectively: the beat that hasn't fallen yet, the ice cream seen, but not yet tasted, the marriage proposal expected but not yet uttered.

Maybe simply humming a familiar tune along with the metronome (not playing the piano) would help accustom the brain, aligning the beat-keeper outside with the beat-keeper inside.

Last edited by Jeff Clef; 08/28/12 02:23 PM.

Clef

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef

Maybe simply humming a familiar tune along with the metronome (not playing the piano) would help accustom the brain, aligning the beat-keeper outside with the beat-keeper inside.

This is excellent, but also do it while playing.

Humming/singing (da-da-da...) the tune as you play it is a magical fix-all for all kinds of ills, specifically tempo fluctuations, and playing un-musically.

I use it all the time, many excellent pros of all kinds of instruments also do, and it works wonders with students. The problem with students is getting them to do it.

Most are self-conscious, and shy about singing.

ps...it seems to work much much better to sing aloud, rather than having the tune float about in your head as you "sing" it silently.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Someone started a thread within the past couple of days about "speakbeat", an iPad/iphone app that counts with spoken numbers and beats. As someone who is in the hate-the-metronome column, I decided to try it out. Have to say that after about 5 minutes, I was starting to play to the counting and didn't find it nearly as annoying as a metronome. It or something similar might be worth a try for some of you as well.

[Linked Image]
T
Tech 5 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by SoundThumb
Someone started a thread within the past couple of days about "speakbeat", an iPad/iphone app that counts with spoken numbers and beats. As someone who is in the hate-the-metronome column, I decided to try it out. Have to say that after about 5 minutes, I was starting to play to the counting and didn't find it nearly as annoying as a metronome. It or something similar might be worth a try for some of you as well.

I will check into this one. It seems that if app is available to iPad it should be available for the MAC.
Thanks,

Virginia

J.Wooden
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
There are also visual metronomes that only show the beat but without the annoying clicking or speaking. I sometimes use that. Just put it full screen in the corner of my eye works well.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission