Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1950895 - 08/29/12 12:20 PM Ivory II - American Concert D
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I just got notice that it is now shipping.

Highlights:

- 1951 New York Steinway D selected by Steinway & Sons for artist promotion
- 49GB Core Library
- Up to 20 Velocity Layers
- Harmonic Resonance Modeling for True Sympathetic String Resonance
- Custom Soundboard Emulation DSP
- Half-pedaling
- Pedal Noise Enhancements
- Release samples triggered by velocity and duration
- Una Corda (soft pedal) samples at multiple velocities
- Native 64 Bit Support
- Timbre-shifting, Parametric EQ and Synth Layer controls for powerful sound sculpting capabilities
- Incorporates exclusive Sample Interpolation Technology used for ultra-smooth velocity and note transitions
- World class digital FX including Real Ambience, Chorus and EQ
- Customizable User Controls for Timbre, Stereo Width and Perspective, Velocity Response, - Mechanical Key Noise, Lid Position and more
- Tuning Tables
- Dozens of new programs and effects presets
Yamaha NU1 + Production Grand

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1951061 - 08/29/12 05:21 PM Re: Ivory II - American Concert D [Re: Melodialworks Music]
Gigantoad Offline

Judging from the 2 demos, it sounds very similiar to their German D. Could be an option for people who don't want to shell out the cash for Ivory II and don't need the other pianos included in that.

#1951231 - 08/29/12 11:09 PM Re: Ivory II - American Concert D [Re: Melodialworks Music]
kippesc Offline

Loc: United States
A Google search for "1951 New York Steinway D (CD 121)" landed this link with some pictures of the piano and a description of how it was rebuilt:

http://mp2w.tripod.com/mp2w/id23.html

When they rebuilt the piano, they built two actions for it -- a NY action and a Hamburg action.

#1951412 - 08/30/12 08:31 AM Re: Ivory II - American Concert D [Re: Gigantoad]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta GA USA
Originally Posted By: Gigantoad
Judging from the 2 demos, it sounds very similiar to their German D. Could be an option for people who don't want to shell out the cash for Ivory II and don't need the other pianos included in that.

if you listen to the Geoffrey Gee demos on the American, and then listen to his demo of the German Grand (Beauty)- i hear quite a difference. They are both obviously Steinways, but i hear much greater power and drive from the American. The German (which i own and use all the time), has a sweeter and more introspective tone, at least to my aging ears. I'm hoping to use the German for "standards" with more jazz chordings, and the American (which i just ordered) for more pop/rock/gospel influenced arrangements.

I sure hope this is the last time i buy a software piano for awhile.

Between the German, the American, and the Vintage D (plus a small acoustic steinway grand), i think i've finally put to rest my curiosity for other piano makes and have decided i really do like the Steinway sound. At least all this has accomplished that... its made me greatly appreciate my acoustic a lot more than i used to! I do like the Yamaha action better than Steinway, but I'm at peace with the quality of the sound produced.

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250; Roland FP 5
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; Alicia's Keys; Garritan Steinway; Galaxy Pianos; The Grand 3

#1952269 - 08/31/12 07:28 PM Re: Ivory II - American Concert D [Re: Melodialworks Music]
7notemode Offline

Loc: Raleigh/Durham NC
I have a copy of the American D. I did some beta testing...basically loading it to see if it worked. I'll try to put something up on youtube/soundcloud this weekend. If you have any suggestions of what you want to hear, let me know. fwiw, I really like it. It is in my top three (Ivory German D, Galaxy Vintage D are my other two favorites). It is pretty different from the Ivory German D. German D is delicate and more string oriented. American D has more wood and body to the sound, sustains longer, has some age on it, and at least sounds a little bit more closely mic'd (I don't know if it actually is or not).

#1952290 - 08/31/12 08:15 PM Re: Ivory II - American Concert D [Re: 7notemode]
Macy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: 7notemode
It is pretty different from the Ivory German D. German D is delicate and more string oriented. American D has more wood and body to the sound, sustains longer, has some age on it, and at least sounds a little bit more closely mic'd (I don't know if it actually is or not).

That sounds as if I would like it. I'll have to find somewhere to order it.

CVP-409GP, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Ravenscroft 275, True Keys American D, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere

#1952317 - 08/31/12 09:20 PM Re: Ivory II - American Concert D [Re: 7notemode]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I have a copy of the American D. I did some beta testing...basically loading it to see if it worked. I'll try to put something up on youtube/soundcloud this weekend. If you have any suggestions of what you want to hear, let me know. fwiw, I really like it. It is in my top three (Ivory German D, Galaxy Vintage D are my other two favorites). It is pretty different from the Ivory German D. German D is delicate and more string oriented. American D has more wood and body to the sound, sustains longer, has some age on it, and at least sounds a little bit more closely mic'd (I don't know if it actually is or not).

Awesome. I know I'd love to hear some more clips (the ones on the site don't seem very representative).

How do you compare the sound to Vintage D? I've kind of been curious how similar they might be since they are both vintage Steinways. Of course, Vintage D is not what I'd call closely miced, so that could be quite a difference right there.

#1952320 - 08/31/12 09:37 PM Re: Ivory II - American Concert D [Re: 7notemode]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

PS: 7notemode, your playing is awesome. love your youtube videos.

Macy, i ordered mine directly off the Synthogy website- linked to Ilio. I don't think its shown up yet at the online retailers or amazon. No deals at this point. $199 plus shipping. obviously at 49 GB its too heavy for anything but physical disc shipment.

Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; Alicia's Keys; Garritan Steinway; Galaxy Pianos; The Grand 3

#1952347 - 08/31/12 10:51 PM Re: Ivory II - American Concert D [Re: gvfarns]
7notemode Offline

gvfarns:
The Vin D and Ivory Am. D are more similar to each other than either of them is to the Ivory German D. The Vin D and Am. D are both older, and similar in that way. The German D is a crisp new piano. I really like the sound engine in Ivory. The string resonance and sustain resonance is subtle and realistic to my ear. Also, Ivory has been very stable for me (no glitches).

bfb:
Thanks....much appreciated.
Yes, a 49 GB is a lot to load, took me all of one evening, but it went in to my pre-existing Ivory library fairly easily.

#1952367 - 08/31/12 11:37 PM Re: Ivory II - American Concert D [Re: bfb]
Macy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bfb

Macy, i ordered mine directly off the Synthogy website- linked to Ilio. I don't think its shown up yet at the online retailers or amazon. No deals at this point. $199 plus shipping. obviously at 49 GB its too heavy for anything but physical disc shipment.

Yeah, Sweetwater is $179 but they don't have it yet. Guitar Center doesn't even list it yet.

CVP-409GP, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Ravenscroft 275, True Keys American D, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere

#1952470 - 09/01/12 08:00 AM Re: Ivory II - American Concert D [Re: 7notemode]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

gvfarns:
The Vin D and Ivory Am. D are more similar to each other than either of them is to the Ivory German D. The Vin D and Am. D are both older, and similar in that way. The German D is a crisp new piano. I really like the sound engine in Ivory. The string resonance and sustain resonance is subtle and realistic to my ear. Also, Ivory has been very stable for me (no glitches).

+1 ....Amen, brother. The ivory II/ Cantabile platform is a joy to work with. Completely stable. works great at 256 sample buffer setting with my firewire 410. no drops, glitches, even handles the pad/strings overlay flawlessly.

so you didn't have any problems with files not loading - as with the Bos and German D off the ivory II disks? having to download the corrupted files from their website was a colossal pain.

Edited by bfb (09/01/12 08:04 AM)

#1952674 - 09/01/12 05:04 PM Re: Ivory II - American Concert D [Re: Melodialworks Music]
7notemode Offline

OK, I used the same midi file to render a recording of
Ivory II Steinway American D
Ivory II Steinway German D
Galaxy Steinway Vintage D

http://www.7notemode.com/2012/09/ivory-ii-steinway-american-d-great-new.html

If interested in the details, I recommend downloading the files. Soundcloud only streams 128 kb/s mp3's, but the download is a 256 kb/s mp4, which has more detail. The midi file was recorded using the internal sound of a Yamaha CP300. Peak loudness is the same but average loudness and dynamic range differ because of compression differences and the underlying loudness characteristics of the samples themselves. I'll put up something live on youtube this weekend if I am able.

Edited by 7notemode (09/01/12 05:05 PM)

#1952681 - 09/01/12 05:33 PM Re: Ivory II - American Concert D [Re: 7notemode]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

If interested in the details, I recommend downloading the files. Soundcloud only streams 128 kb/s mp3's, but the download is a 256 kb/s mp4, which has more detail. The midi file was recorded using the internal sound of a Yamaha CP300. Peak loudness is the same but average loudness and dynamic range differ because of compression differences and the underlying loudness characteristics of the samples themselves. I'll put up something live on youtube this weekend if I am able.

beautiful arrangement.....

to me- and i know i'm biased because its new and i don't own it yet and haven't gone through the typical I love it, I hate it period with every sampled piano- but the American D has more presence. Its a little punchier in the upper register than i like, but it has real presence- very multi-dimensional.

The German D is consistent and nice but doesn't have as much depth, does it...?

and the vintage D- i guess i'm going through my "ugh" period with it, because i hear something sonically there that i just don't like- and i notice it playing it myself - it has sort of a nasal sound- like speaking with your nose clamped. I'm not sure how to describe it, but the tone wavers somehow and sounds more artificial... I do notice that tweaking to a brighter sound helps somewhat. its probably a filter on there that i don't like

thanks much for the great rendition!

#1952686 - 09/01/12 05:39 PM Re: Ivory II - American Concert D [Re: 7notemode]
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada

If interested in the details, I recommend downloading the files. Soundcloud only streams 128 kb/s mp3's, but the download is a 256 kb/s mp4, which has more detail.

I didn't realize that about SoundCloud.
Yamaha NU1 + Production Grand

#1952687 - 09/01/12 05:43 PM Re: Ivory II - American Concert D [Re: Melodialworks Music]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Really lovely - thanks!

They all sound good to me. The Vintage D stood out a bit as having more more hammer thud, and I slightly preferred the Ivory recordings.

Greg.

#1952697 - 09/01/12 06:10 PM Re: Ivory II - American Concert D [Re: sullivang]
7notemode Offline

bfb,
I do the same thing. Anything new and shiny mesmerizes me. As familiarity grows, the limitations become more apparent. The American D does have more pop on the attack, which is nice. If you think of those examples as all having the same peak loudness, the Ivory piano's go softer at lower velocity levels and give a lot of dynamic variation. I really like that.

Mel.Mus:
SoundCloud streams 128 but the download is identical to what you upload. I uploaded 256 kb/s mp4's, so that's what downloads. If you upload 16 bit wav files, that is what downloads. For me the 256 kbs mp4's are a good compromise between size and quality.

sullivang:
I agree...I like all three (my favorites so far).

#1952847 - 09/02/12 03:00 AM Re: Ivory II - American Concert D [Re: 7notemode]
Macy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Really nice. I like them all, but of the three I think I could listen to the Vintage D on this kind of material all night. Not sure I could the American D.

But I'm a believer that you have to play the same material on each to optimize the result of each, not play the same MIDI recording on each. i.e. you play each piano differently to fit its individual character.

Edited by Macy (09/02/12 03:05 AM)

#1952871 - 09/02/12 05:54 AM Re: Ivory II - American Concert D [Re: 7notemode]
imyself Offline

Loc: France

thanks for this comparison, it help.

i allow myself to ask you if you may take a screen capture of your Vintage D settings for Classical and Jazz... (as you are a lucky man to own a real piano, your settings must be close perfection)

(i love the way you play your last improvisation on youtube... there is so much sensitivity in your play)

"Remember to take the time ... before He takes you"

#1952957 - 09/02/12 11:26 AM Re: Ivory II - American Concert D [Re: Macy]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Macy

But I'm a believer that you have to play the same material on each to optimize the result of each, not play the same MIDI recording on each. i.e. you play each piano differently to fit its individual character.

i agree with you. every piano has a unique feel to it, even sampled pianos. and of course differing velocity level trigger points make it tough to slap a midi file created on one piano onto another. Maybe subtle enough not to sweat over, but the overall character of the instrument certainly does influence your approach to playing it...

#1952960 - 09/02/12 11:31 AM Re: Ivory II - American Concert D [Re: bfb]
7notemode Offline

imyself,
Thanks. Honestly, I don't think I have any special insight into making the Vintage D sound more realistic. I'l take a screen capture next time I play it.

Macy,
Agreed. I had to change the velocity map on all three pianos to fit the midi file. Weirdly, sometimes I get a better performance sound when I switch to an instrument different than what I played it on.

#1953102 - 09/02/12 06:59 PM Re: Ivory II - American Concert D [Re: 7notemode]
Providence Offline

My God that Vintage D sounds amazing

#1953223 - 09/03/12 02:46 AM Re: Ivory II - American Concert D [Re: 7notemode]
Gigantoad Offline

Can you add an American D render of the Chopin pieces? Interested to hear it in a classical context.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1883922/1.html

#1953334 - 09/03/12 11:12 AM Re: Ivory II - American Concert D [Re: Melodialworks Music]
RonL Offline

very nice job. I don't know why I can't get my Ivory II Steinway to sound that good from my Receptor - perhaps the problem is located between the chair and the keyboard. Very nice recording.

#1954050 - 09/05/12 12:18 AM Re: Ivory II - American Concert D [Re: RonL]
7notemode Offline

Originally Posted By: RonL
very nice job. I don't know why I can't get my Ivory II Steinway to sound that good from my Receptor - perhaps the problem is located between the chair and the keyboard. Very nice recording.

ha! have to admit that made me laugh.. self depreciating humor and all..
We've all had that problem at one time or another...

#1954329 - 09/05/12 03:19 PM Re: Ivory II - American Concert D [Re: Melodialworks Music]
Pavel.K Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
Cubus uploaded video with American Concert D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb_CSnAo_Fs&feature=g-all-u

#1954556 - 09/06/12 01:10 AM Re: Ivory II - American Concert D [Re: Pavel.K]
7notemode Offline

Originally Posted By: Pavel.K
Cubus uploaded video with American Concert D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb_CSnAo_Fs&feature=g-all-u

Thanks for link. I had not heard him play before.

#1955073 - 09/06/12 08:57 PM Re: Ivory II - American Concert D [Re: 7notemode]
Zwetschge Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Synthogy now posted an American Concert rendition by Volker Rogall of Chopin's Scherzo No. 2 on their website:
http://www.synthogy.com/demos/play/d2012-09-05a.html

#1955099 - 09/06/12 09:57 PM Re: Ivory II - American Concert D [Re: Melodialworks Music]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
It's so hard to distinguish the underlying character of the samples from the other effects, like reverb in there. These examples sounds so mellow they are almost muffled, but it probably has more to do with the settings than the samples. Unfortunately it's really hard to evaluate things from clips.

Though that won't stop us from trying, and loving it. smile Thanks for pointing this out.

#1956889 - 09/10/12 11:12 AM Re: Ivory II - American Concert D [Re: Melodialworks Music]
TheIshter Offline

7notemode just uploaded a very nice "raw" display of what the American D sounds like. And that piano is JUICY, especially the highs, mmmm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWnbja5UXm8&feature=g-all-u

I ordered this piano this past Thursday, I just couldn't resist. Unfortunately, my Purolator tracking seem to be stuck. I hope my American D order wasn't lost by the delivery guy, or I'm going to go nuts, haha.

#1957008 - 09/10/12 04:00 PM Re: Ivory II - American Concert D [Re: gvfarns]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: gvfarns
It's so hard to distinguish the underlying character of the samples from the other effects, like reverb in there. These examples sounds so mellow they are almost muffled, but it probably has more to do with the settings than the samples. Unfortunately it's really hard to evaluate things from clips.

Though that won't stop us from trying, and loving it. smile Thanks for pointing this out.

i loaded it up over the weekend. initial thoughts are that i wouldn't descibe it as mellow.... its got some real punch to it. Very full spectrum... doesn't sound quite as even as the Ivory's German grand- as 7notemode mentioned - the German is "crisp" with a shorter sustain. The American is obviously an old(er)instrument, and the sound does have more variation and nuance to it, and they definitely are long samples, particular in the lower registers. You even get a sensation of the hammers being worn when playing it versus the new German D. There are lots of variations/settings presented to the user by the developer, but it stays true to its sound.

Its definitely a big sucker. I didnt have any problems loading it- in fact, it loaded more smoothly than the Ivory II grand piano suite (which had corrupted files that had to be downloaded from their website) and the Italian. It's size has made me pay more attention to settings- i've had some pops and crackles and had to adjust buffer size and some other settings vs what i run mindlessly with the other ivory pianos. I've also noticed the installation screwed up my presets for the other pianos, why i don't know, and its not a big deal.

Like all new things, you go through the initial sorting out process of "wow" to "meh" depending on your mood at the moment. The American certainly sounds big and real. And there is a lot of detail. I'm used to the evenness of the German so i'm noticing the note-to-note variations with the American. i'm still in the camp that the German will be the better choice for quiet, introspective solos, and the American will be a great choice for bolder music requiring some sonic muscle.

Just an initial impression, subject to the usual massive amount of change. But i would close out by saying- its the most like a real grand of anything i have loaded on my hard drive.

Edited by bfb (09/10/12 04:02 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
69 registered (Atrys, Akshay, bennevis, 21 invisible), 1080 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153598 Topics
2251174 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Easter Themed Recordings - Kawai CA95
by wolferblade
04/20/14 04:55 AM
First recordings - Some music for Easter
by wolferblade
04/20/14 01:01 AM
Recorded a song on my workstation tonight
by Arizona Sage
04/20/14 12:04 AM
How to tune a piano.....
by Grandpianoman
04/19/14 11:46 PM
Need help with upgrading(?) Roland digital
by Pathbreaker
04/19/14 10:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission