2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 1,980 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 93 of 540 1 2 91 92 93 94 95 539 540
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Eglantine, how exciting about the harpsichord. It's going to be fun playing your Bach pieces on it!

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly
[...] but now I can't help feeling uncomfortable about the sound levels.
I'll get over it, I'm just laying low for a bit... Thanks for the encouragement.
I realize it's a different situation, but I felt uncomfortable with the sound level when I first got my acoustic piano. I had been so used to playing on my electronic piano, either with headphones or with the volume turned very low, that I was too timid to play at anything above a p. It took a lot of reminders from my teacher and several months to begin feeling comfortable with making myself heard. In fact, for quite a while, for this reason, I had as my mantra: "Play it like you mean it." No problems now with feeling comfortable creating louder music -- as my husband points out from time to time. smile Hopefully you'll get back to your comfort zone soon without that much of a struggle.

My grandson and I were listening to a George Winston CD last night. He really liked one of the songs and asked me if it was a piano. When I said yes, he told me that he wants to learn to play the piano ... and he asked me if I would teach him. yippie and *yikes*! Don't know how that will work out, but I'm going to have to look for some pointers on how to get started with this.

Mary Bee
M
M
Been struggling with Yanni's One Mans Dream and also learning various other songs - kinda fell into place this week - it's a great feeling to think the 2 steps forward and 1 step back is actually achieving....

Love my piano - love me!!! - I'm not a person without my piano...orrrr.... You never know what you can do till you have a go...
My AOTW.......I have managed to let go of bombing my second recital. I worked so hard to perfect my Christmas pieces only to crash and burn on the very first piece! I managed to pull myself together and played through the next 2. I played Hark! The Herald Angels Sing, Carol of the Bells, and O Holy Night. I was really depressed when I got home from the recital. I didn't ponder quitting.....but I did start questioning why I bother to play in front of strangers. I'm over it now.....can't wait for the next chance to play kamikaze pilot on the piano smile

Piano obsession started November 2010.
Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Michael, crashing and burning is good for you. Once you've done it, you know what it's like. You've lived through it. suddenly you will find a huge weight made out of stress lifted from your shoulders and you will come back so much stronger.

The difference will be due to your new casual attitude and the removal of a formerly unknown fear that you have now conquered. This is also the point where your confidense in your playing will grow and build from.

It happens with me all the time. Especially when recording for a recital piece. Once I have a decent take, there seems to be such a stress load that has been removed. It becomes so much easier to play after that.

This will happen to you too. You'll see!

L

Silver Supporter until Jan 05 2013

Silver Supporter until Jan 05 2013
L
I keep thinking I'm not making any progress (though my kind teacher tells me I've come such a long way in a year). Especially when I hear people here and the wonderful music they are making when I'm still plodding away at very simple tunes. But last night, inspired by yesterday's discussion of "I Dreamed a Dream" from Les Miz on the board, I had a look through my books and found a simple version in one of my books (More Popular Piano Solos, Level 5 - John Thompson, I think). I managed to sight-read it all the way through, HT, the first time - very slowly and some pauses, of course, but with not a whole lot of effort or frustration. So I guess I am making progress, cause I sure couldn't have done that a year ago!! laugh

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
I spent the first ten minutes of my piano lesson enduring wink the praise for my performance of the Debussy Arabesque #1 from my teacher. So, like PianoStudent88 my head is a little swollen right now ...

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
... So, like PianoStudent88 my head is a little swollen right now ...

Can I have your old hats? smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
This is a good thread, I need to read it. Y'all are doing great. Nice that people are having fun and enjoying their pianos.

I played Chopin's Prelude in e minor at the winter recital without driving off the cliff. Some parts got fat fingered, other parts sounded really nice.

My teacher told me that in the last year I've learned to play delicately.

And my piano got tuned a couple of days ago. It sounds REALLY nice.

Gary
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I spent the first ten minutes of my piano lesson enduring wink the praise for my performance of the Debussy Arabesque #1 from my teacher.
Oh, you poor guy! wink
But good for you! So is it complete, and are you moving on to something else now?

Mary Bee
U
U
Realised that my right pinky straightened a bit when playing keys with other fingers on my right hand. Only noticable when recording a recent performance. I've just started to address this by focussing on relaxing it when not playing using that finger. It started out with a loss of control but after a couple of days I feel much less tension in my whole hand and can play quicker and with more control already.

Restarted piano in September 2010 after previous misguided attempts to learn without a teacher.
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by MaryBee
I spent the first ten minutes of my piano lesson enduring wink the praise for my performance of the Debussy Arabesque #1 from my teacher.
Oh, you poor guy! wink
But good for you! So is it complete, and are you moving on to something else now?

Yup, check out my signature. Well, still need that recording ... got to have something for the next ABF recital!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Andy - hey, you need to enjoy the success sometimes:) BTW, is "swollen head" expression similar to "so and so is getting too big for his britches"?

Let me tell you I learn a lot of words in this forum. In my notebook of colloquial English, I make entries like this. I note the words , who I heard from and definitions.

Benpiano - real hum-dinger (something extraordinary large or an excellent person or thing)
Mr. S/H - It's frigging xxx ( I think he is emphasizing something with a hint of frustration)
Andy - Swollen head (sudden surge of self esteem?)

I think I start using these words. It sounds cool.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Wow, another busy week.
Zoe - congats on getting over the red dot - I'll pop over to the piano bar to check out your piece!
Eglantine -a harpsicord- that is very very very cool. Do let us hear it soon!!
Msirukandjisting - yes, sometimes progress feels like it is slow to happen, but keep going - you'll see changes - especially if you record what you are doing!
Lisa - Congrats on your progress!
Plowboy - I laughed when I read you have to learn to play more delicately - I pictured you "plowing" through your pieces!
Ukbuk -good work on the relaxation!

Andy - enjoy your swollen head - we all need our moments of glory!

Michael, good for you for letting go of the train wreck. I think it is easier said than done.
MaryBee - I too had a really long adjustment period to my acoustic piano - (which in retrospect was maybe a good thing - my neighbours had a chance to "acclimatize" along with me.
I was upset because I just thought it was rude to bang on the wall, and because I've always thought we had a very nice relationship and she should have called. I know what migraines are like - but you know, that's no excuse for being rude.
It isn't a train wreck, but like Michael, I'm going to put it behind me and let go of it.
So there!

Farmgirl - I hope you find your folks in great shape when you get to Japan and that the transfer to the new home goes really well. And I hope they still have a piano!
Safe travels!!!!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Turned in my last paper... Now I can finally take a break and practice. Since I've been away from the forums for a while, here's a quick recording of the Scriabin and Brahms I've been working on. WARNING: They're both works in progress, especially the Brahms, which I just started...so I will take them down soon (Edit: Done)!

Oh, and my Mozart is so terrible I won't record it, even though I worked on it longer than both the Scriabin and Brahms. smile

"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Very good renditions as usual, Lain, Brahms included.

Glad to see you’re back!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Lain,

Just finished listening to the Brahms and have the Scriabin going right now. These are both very beautiful pieces that I'd not heard before. Thanks so much for posting them. I now have two more things in my "some day" pile, and can't wait to go home and check my McGrath's to see how far away that some day might be. Oh, and I thought your playing was excellent on both, with lots of expression. I don't know how you could have "just started" something like the Brahms and then proceed to play it for 8 minutes! When I've just started something I can usually play about 8 measures grin

Last edited by JimF; 12/16/11 05:41 PM.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
After a gentle reminder from my teacher that we should get back to scales soon I bit the bullet and did some today after a 6 week long break I took while doing Christmas music. I think the break did me good. Some of the scales with tricky fingering seemed less daunting. I am happy to have gone back to these now as it won't be a dark cloud hanging over my head through the holidays. Plus I think this will help my Clementi piece that I'm working on but which is a big mess right now.

Plus as some of you have seen I battled the red dot and finally recorded some pieces and posted them here. I also started a web log to track my own progress.

Thanks To everyone for all the nice things you wrote on my postings. You made me smile!!

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
ZoeCalgary, which scales do you think of as the ones with tricky fingering?

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
ZoeCalgary, which scales do you think of as the ones with tricky fingering?

Good question! I think the HARDEST scale is C major. There are no landmarks - a multitude of wrong fingerings are possible. The easiest is B major - in the RH at any rate - as the notes absolutely dictate the fingering. It's a pity the LH fingering doesn't fit the "C major" pattern. As a comprimise, I often start a beginner with E major. It fits the pattern, and only presents one opportunity to go wrong!

An added advantage is that it kills dead any idea that black notes are "hard". They're just notes.

Page 93 of 540 1 2 91 92 93 94 95 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission