Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1951202 - 08/29/12 09:50 PM Young Chang Ebony 5'3" G=157 vs Kawai BL-61
california piano girl Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Hi all. I am considering a piano I found on Craigslist for $2900. It's a Young Chang G-157, ebony, 5'3", manufactured in 1987, one owner. What do you all think about Young Chang's. I was really hoping to buy a Yamaha, but this fits my price point. Do you think this young chang is a better instrument than a U1 or a kawai upright? The used blue book price on the Young Chang is $5100 to $5300. I've never played a Young Chang before...we grew up playing a Yamaha and my piano teacher owned 2 Steinway grands. Also, I am considering a Kawai BL-61, selling for $3500. It is advertised as being in mint condition; a piano tech valued it at $4000 to $5000. My impression is that Kawai pianos are of a higher quality, but I was really hoping to get a baby grand. We sold our baby grand 6 years ago when we moved and I've been playing a Yamaha grand keyboard since then. Please advise

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1951215 - 08/29/12 10:22 PM Re: Young Chang Ebony 5'3" G=157 vs Kawai BL-61 [Re: california piano girl]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
About a year or so ago, I visited a church I used to be a member of, and they had gotten rid of the old console upright and had replaced it with a smallish Young Chang baby grand. After the services were over, I played the YC and was very impressed with the tone and touch. The low bass was very weak and shallow, but the rest of the piano had a very nice tone.

The price may not be a bargain, but not bad if it is in good condition. I believe I'd invest in a piano tech inspection before I purchased it...

Good luck!

Rick

#1951307 - 08/30/12 02:13 AM Re: Young Chang Ebony 5'3" G=157 vs Kawai BL-61 [Re: Rickster]

Thanks Rick! Who do you think I should bring with me to inspect the piano: the piano tech who used to tune our former piano or a piano teacher with a PhD in piano performance from the Cleveland Institute of Music? Also you mentioned that it's not a bargain...how much would you be willing to pay? wink

#1951314 - 08/30/12 02:49 AM Re: Young Chang Ebony 5'3" G=157 vs Kawai BL-61 [Re: california piano girl]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington
Originally Posted By: california piano girl
Thanks Rick! Who do you think I should bring with me to inspect the piano: the piano tech who used to tune our former piano or a piano teacher with a PhD in piano performance from the Cleveland Institute of Music?

Take the piano technician. I'm frequently appalled by how little piano teachers and/or professors really know about pianos. You want someone who can evaluate the mechanical as well as the musical attributes of the piano.

ddf
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

#1951390 - 08/30/12 07:51 AM Re: Young Chang Ebony 5'3" G=157 vs Kawai BL-61 [Re: california piano girl]
Rickster Offline

Also you mentioned that it's not a bargain...how much would you be willing to pay? wink

Well, I’ve gotten in trouble with some dealers here a time or two when I share my opinion about piano pricing. But since one of my favorite past-times is looking at used pianos and pick-up trucks for sale on CL, eBay and other sites, I do see lots of pianos for sale at lots of different prices. smile

However, I'm certainly not an expert on the subject, by any means... smile

If I were really chomping at the bit to buy a baby grand piano, and the availability of good, pre-owned pianos in my area was limited, and that YC was in great condition, and I liked the tone, touch and appearance, I’d pay $2900 and be happy about it. But then you would have to pay for the inspection, moving and tuning, which would boost the price up some, perhaps closer to $3500; as I said, it may not be a bargain. If you could get the piano for $2500, or less, if it is in good condition, that would be a better deal in my view. I’m thinking a used piano dealer wouldn’t pay more than $1000 to $1500 or so for that piano.

Remember, pianos are a whole lot easier to buy than to sell.

Plus, I usually buy high and sell cheap… the story of my life. smile

Good luck.

Rick

#1951397 - 08/30/12 08:14 AM Re: Young Chang Ebony 5'3" G=157 vs Kawai BL-61 [Re: california piano girl]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Hey Rick - When you find a great piano and excellent pick-up truck on CL being offered by the same seller, who drives your vehicle home?

grin

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#1951403 - 08/30/12 08:21 AM Re: Young Chang Ebony 5'3" G=157 vs Kawai BL-61 [Re: california piano girl]
Rickster Offline

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
Hey Rick - When you find a great piano and excellent pick-up truck on CL being offered by the same seller, who drives your vehicle home? grin

It depends... if it's not too far away, I'll ride my bicycle and put it on the back of the pick-up truck along with the piano and drive it home. grin

Rick

#1951408 - 08/30/12 08:24 AM Re: Young Chang Ebony 5'3" G=157 vs Kawai BL-61 [Re: Rickster]

Thanks guys!! Appreciate all the feedback. Just waiting for the seller to set up a time to view the piano. Although I haven't seen any pianos yet, I am leaning towards getting the YC baby grand versus the Kawai upright just because it's a grand. Is this what you would do if you were me?

#1951440 - 08/30/12 09:51 AM Re: Young Chang Ebony 5'3" G=157 vs Kawai BL-61 [Re: california piano girl]
gnuboi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Generally yes, but go over that baby grand carefully to make sure nothing annoys you like thuds or clicks. The piano tech might be able to fix some things but some of these small models may have inherent issues with strings and scale design.

#1953325 - 09/03/12 11:01 AM Re: Young Chang Ebony 5'3" G=157 vs Kawai BL-61 [Re: california piano girl]

Ok, so the guy who is selling his Young Chang G-157 has not gotten back with me. This YC piano is only 20 minutes away from our house. But he hasn't responded. I also asked the music director of our music school about YC pianos, and her piano professor husband didn't think YC pianos were that great, but ok for beginners. So I've expanded my Craigslist search to nearby states and found a 24 year old, 5'1" Kawai for $2300. The seller has noted that it is in very good condition. She lives about 3 hours away from me. Do you all think this is worth pursuing?

#1953330 - 09/03/12 11:07 AM Re: Young Chang Ebony 5'3" G=157 vs Kawai BL-61 [Re: california piano girl]

Oh, I forgot to mention. I don't know the model number of this Kawai, but the serial number is 1804454.

#1953374 - 09/03/12 12:56 PM Re: Young Chang Ebony 5'3" G=157 vs Kawai BL-61 [Re: california piano girl]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
cpgirl, if a 3 hour drive is not a drawback for you, go ahead and look at the Kawai. However, keep this in mind: people tend to overstate the condition of their pianos when they advertise them. I've gone to look at pianos that were described as being in "excellent condition" that ended up having several notes that wouldn't hit, hadn't been tuned in roughly 46 years, and pedals that didn't work. I think if the piano is truly in good condition, it could be a promising first grand. But at 5'1" it will have limitations in the bass that you may eventually grow weary of.

#1953585 - 09/03/12 09:59 PM Re: Young Chang Ebony 5'3" G=157 vs Kawai BL-61 [Re: Monica K.]

Thanks Monica. I've been exchanging emails with the seller. It doesn't sound like the piano has been tuned regularly or played much for the last 20 years. I'm willing to go see it but the 3 hour drive is formidable.

#1953650 - 09/04/12 02:20 AM Re: Young Chang Ebony 5'3" G=157 vs Kawai BL-61 [Re: california piano girl]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
...It's a Young Chang G-157, ebony, 5'3", manufactured in 1987, one owner... The used blue book price on the Young Chang is $5100 to $5300. ...
Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but I think I remember $5500 or so being the asking retail for a small YC in the late 1980s. I can't see a 25 year old tiny Korean grand being worth more than half its original retail cost....

And yes: noisy actions, heavy touch weight.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#1953856 - 09/04/12 03:23 PM Re: Young Chang Ebony 5'3" G=157 vs Kawai BL-61 [Re: Supply]

Well the guy selling the Young Chang just got back with me and his piano has already sold. Bummer. I found a seller in MI who wants to sell a G5 Yamaha for $5000. No idea how old it is, but it's been in the States for 15 years now. It was brought over from Japan. I'm worried that it's not "seasoned for destination" and I might have some major problems down the road.

#1954037 - 09/04/12 11:39 PM Re: Young Chang Ebony 5'3" G=157 vs Kawai BL-61 [Re: california piano girl]
gnuboi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
If it's close by and not 3 hours away, it's worth a visit. If you find it to be generally in good condition and really like it, hire a tech to see if any major repair or maintenance might be required. If the local climate has been an issue, the tech should be able to spot problems.

#1954060 - 09/05/12 01:04 AM Re: Young Chang Ebony 5'3" G=157 vs Kawai BL-61 [Re: gnuboi]

I'll consider it. It's nearly 3 hours away. The seller seemed really nice. His wife's from Japan and is a phenomenal musician. They're getting another Yamaha G5 shipped from Japan soon and can't keep both in the house. The piano looks pretty nice but has no bench.

#1954418 - 09/05/12 06:16 PM Re: Young Chang Ebony 5'3" G=157 vs Kawai BL-61 [Re: california piano girl]

I found another Young Chang on Craigslist. This one is a 5'6" TG150. Built in 2001. Original owners. It was purchased for their 2 daughters who played it and have moved on. The sellers live 2 cities away from us. They are asking $3k which fits my budget exactly. I'm going to look at it tonight. I really should bring a tech with me but this is a good night for both parties to view it. They had it tuned regularly when their girls were using it. What do you all think if I went ahead and purchased it without the advice of my piano tech?

#1954471 - 09/05/12 08:38 PM Re: Young Chang Ebony 5'3" G=157 vs Kawai BL-61 [Re: california piano girl]
Jonathan Alford Offline

Loc: Colorado
This might be too late, but try not to buy without your tech checking I out. Maybe put a downpayment until your tech can check it over.

The piano might be wonderful, but then again might need 3k worth of work.

Good luck,

Jonathan

#1954508 - 09/05/12 10:21 PM Re: Young Chang Ebony 5'3" G=157 vs Kawai BL-61 [Re: Jonathan Alford]

Well I went ahead and bought it. It was the best grand I could find with my piano budget, and I really didn't want to get an upright. And I only had to drive 30 minutes to see it! The seller was getting so many calls about it. He was holding them off by letting them know that I was coming to view it tonight. I didn't want to pass up this opportunity. Appearance-wise, it is in pristine condition. The tone was good. Keys were a bit stiff, but that's because we're all accustomed to playing our keyboard. We experience the same stiffness with the Steinway we play during lessons. I'll have my tech go over it carefully once it's delivered to our home. Thanks for all your input on this forum. It's much appreciated! thumb

#1954535 - 09/05/12 11:34 PM Re: Young Chang Ebony 5'3" G=157 vs Kawai BL-61 [Re: california piano girl]
Jonathan Alford Offline

Loc: Colorado
Congrats! Post pictures when you get it home!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
97 registered (Atrys, adanepst, antony, ADWyatt, 26 invisible), 1248 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74198 Members
42 Forums
153491 Topics
2249187 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tired Fingers
by adanepst
3 minutes 52 seconds ago
Bechstein 7
by PhilipInChina
41 minutes 53 seconds ago
Premier Piano of New York
by FenderJazzMan
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
Top selling self-taught pianists?
by Sand Tiger
Yesterday at 11:06 PM
Just got my MP11!
by Dan Clark
Yesterday at 10:18 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission