2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 11 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
heidiv Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
After countless hours of practice, we are pleased to present our third annual Unsung Heroes e-cital, featuring works by lesser-known composers:

Presenting Unsung Heroes III

We thank our talented Piano World members for submitting their performances. A special thanks to Greg (gerg) who generously donates his time and talent behind the scenes with all of the tech work. Thanks Greg!

We hope you enjoy these fine performances and discover a few unsung heroes.

Best regards,
Heidi

Last edited by Kreisler; 08/30/12 09:29 AM. Reason: corrected URL
Congrats to everyone on the great submissions! laugh I'm looking forward to listening to all of them!

And sorry about my submission Heidi. I wasn't quite sure how to split my recording into two files, so I couldn't resubmit my recording in time.

H
heidiv Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
And I'm sorry, dachshund, that we're unable to handle files bigger than 20MB. I would think you could divide it into two files with Audacity.

Maybe someone reading this with more tech know-how than me can advise you, in which case we would just allow you to make a late submission. We would love to listen!

Originally Posted by heidiv
And I'm sorry, dachshund, that we're unable to handle files bigger than 20MB. I would think you could divide it into two files with Audacity.

Maybe someone reading this with more tech know-how than me can advise you, in which case we would just allow you to make a late submission. We would love to listen!

So basically, I just load my recording into audacity, split it into two recordings and export both of them into two separate files. Then go to the submission page where I originally submitted my recording and submit both separate files together, right?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Why does it not say the name of the composer?

Sorry, I tried downloading my file into Audacity, but it wouldn't work.

I'll just post a link for those interested in hearing mine.
http://snd.sc/P9B6qd

As for the rest of the E-cital, I'm enjoying listening to everyone's submissions. I can't wait for the next E-cital! laugh Hopefully I'll be able to get my submissions to work for that one.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Thanks Greg and Heidi! The website was working fine up until around 20 minutes ago, but now it gives error 404.

A couple of small things for Greg, if you wouldn't mind:

1) As debrucey points out, we could do with a column giving the composer's name.

2) In the "discussion" window, using the player messes up the focus for the comment textarea. I often like to listen to the recording while I'm typing my comments, but to be able to resume typing I have to click into another text box first, otherwise nothing appears and the spacebar makes the recording stop and start. If that could be fixed it would be great.

Thanks for all your work on this.

(Used to post as SlatterFan)
H
heidiv Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Thanks Dachshund. Glad you are able to participate!

debrucey, the composer's name is listed once you click on an individual performance. But I agree that yes, it would have been nice to have the composers name listed on the front page alongside the title of the piece.

And now I'm getting an error code on that above link, even though it worked earlier today frown

I'll look into that and get that fixed. Sorry for the delay, guys.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Topic stickied!

I love these e-citals!!!

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
H
heidiv Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Thank you, Kreisler!

To everyone, I'm so sorry for the tech problems we experienced today. I was hoping to have it up and running this morning, but the tech glitches have now been fixed!

Enjoy, and please let me know of any other tech issues.

Last edited by heidiv; 08/20/12 09:40 PM.
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Heidi, the 1st Movement of the Persichetti Sonata is missing -- apparently, I forgot to put my name in on that submission, and so it didn't get included. I think the 1st Movement is needed to get a complete "feel" for the piece, and so if you can get it included, I'd be most appreciative!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by heidiv
[...] Enjoy, and please let me know of any other tech issues.

Hi, Heidi! I am enjoying! But I'm sorry to report that I did run into another tech issue when I tried to post a comment. I got an error message that says,

"Error on update (100):You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'm so grateful that you worked up these Esquisses, and I've been waiting for them' at line 1"

[all year, wr! I've been waiting for them all year, and I'm so glad to get to listen to them! grin ]

Thank you Greg and Heidi for all of your work!!!

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Yes, there's a problem with the commenting. I've been able to leave some comments, but then I get errors like the one C-bear described. It seems that if I leave the site for a while, and then come back, I can leave more comments before the problem comes back.

At any rate, I'm still able to listen.

LadyChen, I was trying to leave a comment about how much I enjoyed the Somers piece and your playing of it. I knew his name, but had hardly heard any of his music before, so it was great to get another taste of it.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear
I did run into another tech issue when I tried to post a comment. I got an error message that says,

"Error on update (100):You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'm so grateful that you worked up these Esquisses, and I've been waiting for them' at line 1"

From the look of that error message, I am guessing that single quotes (like this one ' ) are not escaped in the code. If you try to avoid using ' anywhere in your comments, they might work fine? Worth a try.

(Used to post as SlatterFan)
H
heidiv Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
You might be right about the single quote, Julian. I'll report the problem to Greg and get that fixed. I'm glad we're at least able to listen and post our comments here!

Tim, sorry about the Perischetti 1st movement. Let me find out where it's hiding and get back to you.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by wr

LadyChen, I was trying to leave a comment about how much I enjoyed the Somers piece and your playing of it. I knew his name, but had hardly heard any of his music before, so it was great to get another taste of it.

Thanks WR, I really enjoyed your pieces as well -- you should post your recordings more often!

I just tracked down a couple more of Somers pieces -- a collection called 3 Sonnets, and his Sonata no. 1. Archives Canada and the Canadian Music Centre told me they were out of print, but apparently they were wrong. I was able to order them from Berandol, thankfully. They are more difficult than Strangeness of Heart though, so they should keep me busy for awhile smile.

H
heidiv Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Comments section is fixed!

Tim's First Movement of Perischetti is restored!

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Thanks, Heidi!

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
I'm getting a "404 Not Found" when I click the link.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by wr
I'm getting a "404 Not Found" when I click the link.

It's working okay now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission