Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1959913 - 09/16/12 10:14 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: JoelW]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
This morning I played Chopin's Op.30 No.2 and suddenly felt sooo sad.... frown

Music is my best friend.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1959928 - 09/16/12 10:42 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: ChopinAddict]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict
This morning I played Chopin's Op.30 No.2 and suddenly felt sooo sad.... frown

why?

#1959933 - 09/16/12 10:52 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: JoelW]
RealPlayer Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: NYC
Many pieces do this for me. Some of the late Beethoven quartets, for example.

Relatedly, there are pieces that don't necessarily bring tears to your eyes, but make you realize you have experienced something that leaves you in awe. There are lots of pieces in this category, too. I think of Stockhausen's Gruppen, Tenney's Forms I-IV, and probably the Turangalila Symphony (though I've heard it only once).

www.josephkubera.com

#1959934 - 09/16/12 10:52 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: JoelW]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Well, I was already in the mood for sadness...

Music is my best friend.

#1960489 - 09/18/12 03:15 AM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: JoelW]
trigalg693 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sometimes when I play Bach BWV 849 I get a little of the tearing up feeling...not always though. Still working on getting it to come through every time.

Edited by trigalg693 (09/18/12 03:19 AM)

#1960582 - 09/18/12 09:50 AM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: JoelW]
RolfP Offline

Loc: Madison, WI, US
Interesting topic - these are some pieces where I have actually physically produced tears, excepting the first choice.

By the end of Chinary Ung's "Spirals 1" for Piano, Cello, and Percussion, I am emotionally drained, though not teary.

David Lang's "The Little Match Girl Passion" is devastating.

I'm not sure why, but listening to all of Rzewski's "Coming Together" can sometimes make me tear up by the end, at least on Eighth Blackbird's recording of it.

"I Will Come Back" from Louciana Souza's "Neruda" album.

"Joy Spring" from Bill Carrother's "After Hours, Vol. 4" is so understated and piercing, that it can really mess me up if I'm in the right place.

Also, this recent recent youtube release from Nancy Zeltsman, purely because of the Borges text she adds at the end. It's extremely sentimental/nostalgic and really got me the first time I heard it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt5J8o_jsJA

#1960737 - 09/18/12 04:11 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: JoelW]
timmyab Offline

Loc: Bristol, UK
Nothing does it every time, it depends a lot on my mood.
The last few minutes of Lynn Harrell's recording of the Dvorak cello concerto is quite likely to do the trick.
Also Perlman's recording of the Shostakovich 1st violin concerto slow movement.
The emotion in these pieces is one of nostalgic regret, to my ears anyway.
Then there are pieces that can make me cry through sheer ecstatic joy.
Typical of these is Kempe's recording of the sunrise from the Alpine Symphony.

#1960876 - 09/18/12 09:42 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: JoelW]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Christmas music... But not because I find it emotionally intense. I just cannot stand it... frown

Music is my best friend.

#1960893 - 09/18/12 10:16 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: ChopinAddict]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Christmas music... But not because I find it emotionally intense. I just cannot stand it... frown

Including -but not confined to- the Hodie of Vaughan Williams, the Saint-Saens Christmas Oratorio, and the services from King's College?

That seems a shame. (Notice I didn't mention that ubiquitous thing of Handel, I'm rather tired of it. wink )

But if you're referring to all the 'pop' Christmas songs, well, you have a defensible point. And yet... 'Winter Wonderland', 'The Christmas Song' (too many others that I'm not in current mode to recall), I do love them and always play to great acclaim at holiday parties. But 'I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus' is rather past bearing.

#1960901 - 09/18/12 10:34 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: argerichfan]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

No, I was referring to the Christmas music in shops and supermarkets... It makes me feel like walking out. And they start sooo early here. They were already playing some of that music in a shop today... I mean, please, we have more than 3 months to go! frown

Music is my best friend.

#1960908 - 09/18/12 10:43 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: ChopinAddict]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

They were already playing some of that music in a shop today...

You ARE kidding?

That's just plain insanity. Can't we at least get through Halloween?

#1960910 - 09/18/12 10:46 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: argerichfan]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

No, really. I was surprised myself, although they do start very early here. And many also celebrate Christmas in July... In other words, it is always Christmas here!

Music is my best friend.

#1960912 - 09/18/12 10:50 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: ChopinAddict]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

In other words, it is always Christmas here!

Land of never ending [Christmas] music I suppose?

blush

#1960932 - 09/19/12 12:09 AM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: JoelW]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
ChopinAddict, you just reminded me that we're about to be bombarded with pop versions of O Holy Night from anytime now until 25th Dec. aaaaaaaaughhh!!!!!!!!! One of the down sides to summer.
How can we have the first shopping centre O Holy Night when we haven't even had The First Blowfly yet (not at my place, anyway), or The First Cicada, or even the first media reference to the country being a "tinder box"...

Anyway, another piece that I forgot to mention is Mahler's Kindertotenlieder. Partly the subject matter, I suppose, but the ending of the last song ...

#1960936 - 09/19/12 12:20 AM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: JoelW]
beet31425 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
I've teared up to the slow movement of Beethoven's late A minor quartet.

And the last movement of Mahler's 3rd.

And the Brahms op.118/2.

Those were all a long time ago. The only things that have recently caused a tear (or, really, a tear-like pang) are the resolution of Mozart's Figaro (just like Mr. Sachs), and Strauss's Four Last Songs.

-J

-Gonzo

#1960989 - 09/19/12 04:32 AM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: currawong]
Janus K. Sachs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Betelgeuse, baby!
Originally Posted By: currawong
ChopinAddict, you just reminded me that we're about to be bombarded with pop versions of O Holy Night from anytime now until 25th Dec. aaaaaaaaughhh!!!!!!!!! One of the down sides to summer.
How can we have the first shopping centre O Holy Night when we haven't even had The First Blowfly yet (not at my place, anyway), or The First Cicada, or even the first media reference to the country being a "tinder box"...

Anyway, another piece that I forgot to mention is Mahler's Kindertotenlieder. Partly the subject matter, I suppose, but the ending of the last song ...
Kindertotenlieder was the last Mahler work I came to love, partly because of the excruciating tempi of the Hampson/Bernstein recording. And yes, its conclusion is breathtaking (especially the effective and original celesta/string doublings). Do you feel strongly about whether a male or female sings it? I'm more used to males, but listening to the von Otter/Boulez recording is very refreshing. This of course brings to mind the baritone option of Das Lied, Bonney's recording of Dichterliebe, female performances/recordings of Winterreise and Vier ernste Gesänge, and the fact that Julius Stockhausen (a good friend of Brahms) performed Frauenliebe regularly.

A few years ago I read of a country where Christmas decor and music are unleashed by September 1. I forgot which country (thank Osiris), but I'm pretty sure it isn't Australia. In any case the practice doesn't strike me as a particularly sensible one.

Oh, and Festivus for the rest of us! Or Saturnalia (whose hijacking by early Christians helped create the Godzilla we're all too familiar with).
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.

#1961013 - 09/19/12 07:54 AM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: Janus K. Sachs]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Originally Posted By: Janus K. Sachs
Do you feel strongly about whether a male or female sings it? I'm more used to males, but listening to the von Otter/Boulez recording is very refreshing.
I first came to it via the Janet Baker recording. I don't feel super strongly either way, and at least one of the songs is definitely the father's perspective. Fischer-Dieskau is, as usual, just about perfect.
This of course brings to mind the baritone option of Das Lied,
There I'm more strongly biased to a kathleen Ferrier or Christa Ludwig.
Bonney's recording of Dichterliebe, female performances/recordings of Winterreise and Vier ernste Gesänge, and the fact that Julius Stockhausen (a good friend of Brahms) performed Frauenliebe regularly.
A male singing Frauenliebe seems a bit odd, but I could handle all the others, even if not my first preference. Carey has a recording up in the members' recordings section of him playing Berg's Seven Early Songs with a tenor. First time I'd ever heard them done by a male singer. I think it works, but I still prefer the female voice there.

#2016695 - 01/18/13 12:09 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: JoelW]
jdott Offline

Loc: Colorado, USA
How about Chopin Prelude in E maj, the Liszt transcription of Schubert's Ave Maria, or the 2nd mov of the Rach 3?

#2016851 - 01/18/13 06:37 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: jdott]
Tararex Offline

Loc: Middle Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: jdott
How about Chopin Prelude in E maj, the Liszt transcription of Schubert's Ave Maria, or the 2nd mov of the Rach 3?

Liszt's transcription of Schubert's Ave Maria is beautiful but I actually prefer Liszt's own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1gV2qtb71w

#2016862 - 01/18/13 07:06 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: JoelW]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Oddly enough, the last time was hearing Prokofiev's Violin Sonata no.1 performed by a certain Pogorelich. and her friend...
Rachmaninoff - Piano Sonata no.1

#2017008 - 01/19/13 12:29 AM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: Kuanpiano]
Arghhh Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kuanpiano
Oddly enough, the last time was hearing Prokofiev's Violin Sonata no.1 performed by a certain Pogorelich. and her friend...

Hey! I was just going to mention this sonata (not by Pogorelich. though). I heard it this evening in a recital, in the 4th movement right at the transition back into the recap of the muted rapid violin passagework material from the 1st movement. One of those moments where I hoped nobody was looking at my trying to hold back the tears.

Richter Oistrakh Prokofiev Violin Sonata 1

If you're on a limited time, starting at 4:00 gives a flavour of the 4th movement, 4:30 begins what I'm calling a transition, and then 5:27 = cry

#2017017 - 01/19/13 12:46 AM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: currawong]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: currawong
I'm more strongly biased to a [...]or Christa Ludwig.

Have you seen this? I never realized her English was so superb. What a charismatic lady!!

#2017161 - 01/19/13 10:06 AM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: Kuanpiano]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past

Aw really?? Haha that was not a very prepared performance though.. the one from our concert 3 weeks later was much better! (I put it on www.myspace.com/swaypiano)

(I had just had a realization about some crucial thematic material in the last movement, ONE DAY before that concert, it gave me chills when we were playing it. I really should've known that before, though.. kind of embarrassing to not have known........)

Edited by Pogorelich. (01/19/13 10:09 AM)

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2017333 - 01/19/13 02:57 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: JoelW]
UberB Offline

Any late Beethoven will do the trick for me.

#2017434 - 01/19/13 05:52 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: JoelW]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Passages from resurrected old PW threads such as this usually do it for me.

#2017465 - 01/19/13 06:51 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: JoelW]
Molly Kate Offline

https://twitter.com/MollyToombs

#2017477 - 01/19/13 07:06 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: Pogorelich.]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Pogorelich.

Aw really?? Haha that was not a very prepared performance though.. the one from our concert 3 weeks later was much better! (I put it on www.myspace.com/swaypiano)

(I had just had a realization about some crucial thematic material in the last movement, ONE DAY before that concert, it gave me chills when we were playing it. I really should've known that before, though.. kind of embarrassing to not have known........)

Ahahaa I stilled really enjoyed it. And it was live too! Live performances are always the most powerful. Let me listen to the later recording....

Speaking of unprepared performances, I'm going to be giving an unprepared performance of the Ballade 4 this Tuesday..hahaa. Hope it works out!
Rachmaninoff - Piano Sonata no.1

#2017534 - 01/19/13 09:21 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: JoelW]
Goerne Offline

Bach B minor mass, Agnus Dei

#2017706 - 01/20/13 08:15 AM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: JoelW]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
“Tear up” must be some ghastly American expression for “cry” ... (complete with snotty-nosed handkerchief ... or sleeve with us peasants) ... everything went down in the Colonies after George Washington took over.

In Afrikaans we say “huil” for “cry” (blubber)
(pronounced like iced raindrops ... but properly said with a posh “u” like you were going to say “oops)

In good Olde England “tear up” means “to shred”.

PS My dog (bitch) howls whenever I play the piano ...
but could be that G string, which needs tightening.

#2017830 - 01/20/13 01:23 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: btb]
Arghhh Offline
1000 Post Club Member

btb, in my definition of "tear up", there's not enough crying to generate a "snotty-nosed handkerchief", maybe just a slight sniff.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
151 registered (ajames, accordeur, A Guy, AmateurBob, 45 invisible), 1690 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75336 Members
42 Forums
155788 Topics
2287529 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Beethoven's ten greatest sonatas?
by JoelW
07/11/14 02:33 PM
Still looking
by capncaption
07/11/14 01:58 PM
Church&organ Willibrordus-church Kloosterburen(Nether
lands)

by Johan B
07/11/14 01:02 PM
Church & organ Willibrordus-church Kloosterburen-Nether
lands

by Johan B
07/11/14 01:00 PM
New recording by PW's Joseph Kubera gets sensational...
by pianoloverus
07/11/14 10:50 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission