Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1952404 - 09/01/12 02:25 AM Kontakt 5 Velocity Mapping Problem
isonomia Offline

Hi,

My keyboard (Yamaha P60) has a capping velocity, meaning that the max velocity read in Kontakt 5 is around 100, not 127.

So how can I "map" (or pair) the keyboard velocity outputs with Kontakt velocity readings like this:

keyboard velocity 30 = Kontakt velocity 38,
keyboard velocity 50 = Kontakt velocity 63,
keyboard velocity 80 = Kontakt velocity 101,
keyboard velocity 100=Kontakt velocity 127.

Do I need to write a script to map velocity?

Thanks a million!
isonomia

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1952426 - 09/01/12 04:17 AM Re: Kontakt 5 Velocity Mapping Problem [Re: isonomia]
Pavel.K Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
Hi isonomia,
I have no experience with Kontakt but I think you can increase max velocity to 127 in options:

Pavel

#1952428 - 09/01/12 04:26 AM Re: Kontakt 5 Velocity Mapping Problem [Re: Pavel.K]
isonomia Offline

Dear Pavel,

Thank you for your reply! I just tried that setting, but it didn't solve the problem. It is still very hard to hit beyond 80, as shown the mapping editor:

#1952430 - 09/01/12 04:54 AM Re: Kontakt 5 Velocity Mapping Problem [Re: isonomia]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
I'm running an old version (3.5), but there is a velocity curve script supplied - go to Script Editor | and then Preset | Factory | Performance and the script is "Change Velocity". You can even draw a freehand curve, but it's fiddly in that mode.

This is a local instrument velocity curve, and for those using the Player version of Kontakt, I'm not sure whether you can save an instrument with the custom velocity curve or not. Come to think of it, is the Script Editor even available in official N.I instruments? Somehow I doubt it.

Two other methods:
a) Run Kontakt in a VST host (such as Cantabile Lite, etc), and load a velocity curve plugin. (there are free ones out there - here's one: http://www.platinumears.com/velocitycurvesm.html ) I use Ableton Live Lite, and it actually came with a velocity curve plugin.

b) Run a utility that processes MIDI data, such as MIDI OX (Windows) or MIDI Pipe (Mac), if you don't want to use a VST host. I've never used either and I'm not sure how easy they are to use.

Naturally, you should make absolutely sure the Kontakt instrument you are using doesn't have it's own velocity curve function before you delve into all this - some do.

Greg.

Edited by sullivang (09/01/12 05:11 AM)

#1952435 - 09/01/12 05:17 AM Re: Kontakt 5 Velocity Mapping Problem [Re: isonomia]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
I have a similar problem, with velocity peaking at 108 (and that requires hammer-hands ... I seldom get above 90).

I've never used Kontakt v3. I have v5. The velocity editor is on the instrument screen. It seems it's associated with the instrument, not with the Kontakt host. So ... which piano libraries are you using with Kontakt? Here's what I get with Galaxy Steinway (and it's the same when using Vintage D):

The main screen has a red velocity button (in the Anatomy section):

Clicking that takes me to the velocity screen:

To fix my problem, I adjust the curve to peak early (and I also tamp down the low end to make it easier to achieve pp).

#1952436 - 09/01/12 05:32 AM Re: Kontakt 5 Velocity Mapping Problem [Re: isonomia]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

Yep - I have a Kontakt piano with it's own velocity curve editor too, even in V3.5. However, not all Kontakt instruments have a velocity curve editor in their user interface. Naturally, if the OP is using a piano that does have it's own velocity curve editor, that would be the obvious way to do it.

Greg.

#1952454 - 09/01/12 06:48 AM Re: Kontakt 5 Velocity Mapping Problem [Re: isonomia]
Jean-Luc Offline

Loc: France
You could use http://www.trombettworks.com/velocity.php to customize your velocity curve but then you will also have to use http://www.nerds.de/en/loopbe1.html to create an internal midi loop (basically, Velocity Curve listen to your instrument and Kontakt listen to Velocity curve via the internal midi channel created by LoobBe1)

Jean-Luc

#1952478 - 09/01/12 08:38 AM Re: Kontakt 5 Velocity Mapping Problem [Re: isonomia]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

I know we're waiting to see what instrument isonomia is using, but I've tried the free Kontakt Player now. I can in fact invoke the "Change Velocity" script when using one of the official N.I Factory Selection instruments. The script editor is invoked by clicking the script button (the "paper scroll" icon), and this button is outside the instrument window. (this is different to what I have in the full version of Kontakt 3.5) The menu path to the Change Velocity script is then: Preset | Factory | Transform | Change Velocity. TIP: When drawing freehand, right-click & drag draws a perfectly straight line.

I haven't read the manual yet, but the script appears to operate outside the instrument - I can close the instrument, and the script remains in the Kontakt window. The velocity curve script can be saved as a preset.

I haven't figured out how to automatically load a velocity curve script when Kontakt is opened or when an instrument is loaded. However, if Kontakt is run as a plugin in a VST host, the VST host can normally save the state of the instrument's settings, and this worked in Cantabile Lite - the custom velocity curve persisted when I re-started Cantabile and loaded the Cantabile configuration that I had saved.

Greg.

#1952806 - 09/01/12 11:24 PM Re: Kontakt 5 Velocity Mapping Problem [Re: sullivang]
isonomia Offline

Dear All,

Thank you so very much for your help. The problem was just resolved by a coded given by EvilDragon in Native Instruments forum. The code is:

on midi_in
if ($MIDI_COMMAND = $MIDI_COMMAND_NOTE_ON)
ignore_midi
set_midi($MIDI_CHANNEL,$MIDI_COMMAND_NOTE_ON,$MIDI_BYTE_1,$MIDI_BYTE_2 * 127 / 100)
end if
end on

and I added it to the multi script editor. (This is the master header, rather that the one for each instrument) Its icon is circled by red :

Now the velocity can reach 127 in Kontakt!

Thank you all for your time!

PS: Thank you Macmacmac, but the velocity curve for each instrument is a different issue. My problem is concerning the MIDI input level, which is a lower level that has a global impact.

#1952809 - 09/01/12 11:37 PM Re: Kontakt 5 Velocity Mapping Problem [Re: isonomia]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

That's very elegant! It's actually not very easy to create that simple re-scaling using the inbuilt velocity curve editor - it's really clunky.

Just btw, adjusting the velocity curve in each instrument is completely valid and does the same thing, but I agree that doing the change in one spot like that is easier, if that's all you want.

Greg.

#1952812 - 09/01/12 11:56 PM Re: Kontakt 5 Velocity Mapping Problem [Re: sullivang]
isonomia Offline

Thank you Greg! I fully agree it's clunky to adjust velocity curve.

And I just learned from you that the velocity curve can do the same as the script. Thank you so much for your help!

isonomia

Edited by isonomia (09/01/12 11:56 PM)

#1952832 - 09/02/12 01:19 AM Re: Kontakt 5 Velocity Mapping Problem [Re: isonomia]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

You're welcome!

Just btw, I've RTFM'd now - if the Kontakt configuration is saved as a "Multi", the velocity script will be saved as well, so that when that Multi is opened, everything is there. Doh. ;^) (so no need to use a VST host just to save all the settings)

Greg.

#2102335 - 06/14/13 08:22 AM Re: Kontakt 5 Velocity Mapping Problem [Re: isonomia]
raikkU Offline

This is a very important thread for Yamaha owners. I've been wondering why the piano sounds incredibly muddy in Kontakt, but I wasn't able to pinpoint the problem to a cap in the velocity, until now. Thank you for the script.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
69 registered (bgiles, a-z0-9, bennevis, Baudelaire, 20 invisible), 1189 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75569 Members
42 Forums
156244 Topics
2294636 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Can anyone help me identify Bach's music in this soundtrack?
by WellTemperedPizza
4 minutes 7 seconds ago
Will a Damp-Chaser fill in the cracks in a sound-board?
by Paul678
Today at 12:36 AM
The Mason & Hamlin Tension Resonator: Help or Hype???
by Paul678
Today at 12:06 AM
What piano do i have?
by allana
Yesterday at 11:43 PM
Moving to Intermediate Level
by Gisele
Yesterday at 11:15 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission