Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1952513 - 09/01/12 10:46 AM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: JoelW]
Janus K. Sachs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Betelgeuse, baby!
Nothing hits me hard every time, but the final section of Mahler's Tenth (from the reappearance of the catastrophe chord) gets me surprisingly often, though only in the context of listening to the entire work, since the section dispells the tension that gathers from Purgatorio onwards.

Also, the finale of Mozart's Figaro, another wonderful resolution (and again, only in the context of listening to the entire work).
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1952550 - 09/01/12 12:29 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: JoelW]
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
The Adagio sostenuto of Beethoven's Op. 106.

#1952781 - 09/01/12 09:35 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: JoelW]
soulshaker Offline

They come and go in periods.

Right now (again): Rachmaninoff no. 3 concerto by Horowitz, live

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5mxU_7BTRA&t=11m38s
(Starts at the right time. Wait till at least ~13m30s)

It's not perfectly played, yet perfect mind state he is in. The feeling, and he's got the right idea. I prefer this interpretation to many of his recordings. I think he was nervous.

#1952912 - 09/02/12 09:20 AM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: JoelW]
babama Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
Mahler - Symphony #2, the choral finale
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYCHOB25F7o

Scriabin - Piano Concerto - Andante, the last part starting at 7:25
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooIt_I1ETpk

#1952956 - 09/02/12 11:25 AM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: JoelW]
Tim Adrianson Offline
500 Post Club Member

For me, the "Kyrie", "Pie Jesu", and "In Paradisum" from Maurice Durufle's "Requiem". As I mentioned in another thread, Brahms, Rachmaninoff, and Barber seem to be especially gifted at inducing teary moments:

Brahms -- 3rd Movement of Piano Concerto #2
Intermezzo 119/1
Rachmaninoff -- Vocalise
2nd Movement of Piano Sonata #2
Barber -- Conclusion of "Knoxville -- Summer of 1915"
Conclusion of aria "Do Not Enter Yet, Anatol" from
"Vanessa"

Maybe a few surprises:

Prokofiev -- Conclusion of Violin Sonata, Op 80.
Lowell Liebermann -- Conclusion of Nocturne No 8

#1952997 - 09/02/12 01:41 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: JoelW]
mrferguson12 Offline

Loc: North Carolina, USA
4:20-5:00 One of the most beautiful passages for me.

Edited by mrferguson12 (09/02/12 01:43 PM)

#1953074 - 09/02/12 05:36 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: JoelW]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
Fugato at the end of 'Hostias' in Mozart's Requiem
the return of the Aria at the end of Bach's Goldbergs
the 2nd movement of Mozart's KV 488
'La chanson des vieux amants' by Brel
'Hallelujah' by Cohen, sung by Jeff Buckley
Andante from Mahler's 6th symphony
Adagio from Rachmaninoff's 2nd symphony

not entirely passages, but I need a handkerchief all the same.

Chopin op.28/20/31/39/54

#1953132 - 09/02/12 09:08 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: JoelW]
ScriabinAddict Offline

I remember in those old Horowitz-Dubal interviews Horowitz had said Rokhmoninov used to tear up during the final chorus of the Faust.

#1953151 - 09/02/12 10:26 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: Tim Adrianson]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: Tim Adrianson
For me, the "Kyrie", "Pie Jesu", and "In Paradisum" from Maurice Durufle's "Requiem".

Very special. If you ever visit Paris be sure to see Durufle's church St-Étienne-du-Mont.

For churches, Paris is utterly unbelievable -London cannot match it- but don't waste your time at Notre Dame or Sacré-Coeur, visit Saint-Eustache, Sainte-Trinité or Saint Clotilde.

#1953222 - 09/03/12 02:44 AM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
Ferdinand Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Serge Marinkovic
Bach Goldberg Variations Aria
Schumann Traumeri
Chopin Nocturne No 21
Schubert Piano Sonata no 21 1st movement
Beethoven Bagatelle no 5, opus 57 2nd movement, Piano Concerto no 5 2nd movement
Brahms Piano Concerto 2, 3rd movement
Liszt Ballade no 2

My short list

Which Bagatelle no. 5? Opus 126?

#1953410 - 09/03/12 01:45 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: JoelW]
kwoli Offline

Loc: New England
Brahms Intermezzo Op. 118, No. 2 does it for me...

http://youtu.be/1h4Re5WBEAc

For me, there is something so compelling about this piece. Full of love and longing. Moments of excruciating beauty and tenderness. Gets me every time.

#1953545 - 09/03/12 08:14 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: JoelW]
david_a Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Maybe too obvious... but maybe I'm a too-obvious kind of guy...

... and as others have said, not every time...
the return of "Ist auf deiner Psalter..." in Brahms's Alto Rhapsody

#1953550 - 09/03/12 08:28 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: JoelW]
riley80 Offline

Loc: Florida
Chopin "Nocturne in D flat Major" - toward the end where those 7 1/2 step intervals fall, (do -fi, ti-fa etc)

There's also a hornpipe in Handel's Water Music that always gets me - maybe not a tear, but def. a throat lump.

I have even been known to break down in a church at hearing "Jesus Saviour Pilot Me".

#1953575 - 09/03/12 09:46 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: JoelW]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
I am starting to feel a bit odd here. Do you guys really (Really) "tear up" at these passages??? or are we using the term very loosely? or may be I am taking it too literally?

#1953580 - 09/03/12 09:51 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: Andromaque]
david_a Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Andromaque
I am starting to feel a bit odd here. Do you guys really (Really) "tear up" at these passages??? or are we using the term very loosely? or may be I am taking it too literally?
In my situation, the first few times, yes, literally. Now I know what's coming and I don't.

I don't discount the idea (already mentioned) that what was happening in my life at the time may have had as much or more influence on my emotional reaction than the music itself did.

#1953582 - 09/03/12 09:57 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: david_a]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: david_a
In my situation, the first few times, yes, literally. Now I know what's coming and I don't.

yep.. the first few times, may be. But that must have been a decade or two (?more) ago for most of us here.. smile

#1953955 - 09/04/12 06:25 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: JoelW]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
I still often tear up at the final cadenza to Ravel's Concerto for the left hand whenever I am listening to a great performance of the piece all the way through, and I am concentrating on the music and letting my mind fall into the bliss.

#1954066 - 09/05/12 01:50 AM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: JoelW]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
- The slow section at the end of the first movement of Schumann's Fantasy.
- The "big tune" with variations in the Liszt Second Ballade.
- Brahms' Intermezzo in B minor, Op. 119 No. 1 - the central waltz. Deeply poignant.
- Also Brahms - several passages in the Ballade Op. 10 No. 4, if well played.
- Chopin - the Prelude in F# major, the middle section. Often imitated, never duplicated.

I feel extremely fortunate that I have the ability to play all these pieces and bring out the desired effect.

Edited by jeffreyjones (09/05/12 01:52 AM)

#1954113 - 09/05/12 04:52 AM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: JoelW]
sandalholme Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dorset, UK
Elgar Sea Pictures, as sung by Janet Baker. In particular "because your voice has faltered" in Sabbath Morning at Sea and "God surely loved us a little then" in The Swimmer.

All in all a wonderful cd: it's coupled with the Du Pre Elgar concerto with Barbirolli.

Also Elgar: "Yea, in spite of a dreamer who slumbers and a singer who sings no more" in The Music Makers, which surely meant so much to Elgar, his close friend August Jaeger having died 3 years' before.

#1954269 - 09/05/12 01:51 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: currawong]
wdot Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: South Carolina, USA
Originally Posted By: currawong
Schubert: D960 second movement
Mahler: Das Lied von der Erde, last movement - many places, but particularly the ending. Ewig, ewig ...
Mahler: Symphony #3, last movement. I'm not a great brass lover, but when the brass come quietly in with the main theme about 5 minutes from the end - it gets me every time.
Strauss: Beim Schlafengehen
Berg: Violin concerto, at the end where it all begins to dissolve.

I had already thought of that sublime moment from Mahler's 3rd when I got to your post. I will confess to being a brass lover, but that is just stunningly beautiful.

#1954271 - 09/05/12 01:55 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: Janus K. Sachs]
wdot Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: South Carolina, USA
One more of many. The final movement of the Vaughn-Williams Hodie, when performed with full orchestra, gets me every time.

#1954352 - 09/05/12 04:06 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: sandalholme]
LadyChen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: sandalholme
Elgar Sea Pictures, as sung by Janet Baker. In particular "because your voice has faltered" in Sabbath Morning at Sea and "God surely loved us a little then" in The Swimmer.

YES.

Also, Lauridsen's Lux Aeterna. It gives me goosebumps and brings tears to my eyes at several points smile.

#1954925 - 09/06/12 04:15 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: JoelW]
Gatsbee13 Offline

Loc: So Cal
what gets me sometimes is motion picture scores.. currently listening to the main suite from Forrest Gump and Schindler's List main theme

nothing better than listening to these pieces while, of course watching the movie, and thinking of other things in your life that may have sentimental value.

#1954983 - 09/06/12 06:08 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: JoelW]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Too many to be mentioned publicly... blush
Sometimes when I listen to one of these passages I feel the Weltschmerz shatter me to such a degree that I am unable to resume what I was doing before playing or listening. cry

Music is my best friend.

#1955054 - 09/06/12 08:18 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: JoelW]
FSO Online   blank
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK, Brighton
Clichéd maybe, but Albinoni's Adagio in G minor, Alkan's Op. 15 and, for some reason, Rzewski's The People United Will Never Be Defeated have made me shed tears each and every time I've heard them in their entirety...um...Andromaque...does nothing (music-wise, of course smile ) make you cry anymore? I find that notion... frown
Xxx

#1955194 - 09/07/12 02:25 AM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: FSO]
kcoul058 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UBC, Vancouver, Canada
A lot of the more obscure music I have found, for me (I live for the kinds of pieces that hit you in that place inside...):

Stanchinsky - Prelude en Mode Lyrique
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5fvk5wR-xM&feature=related
(this recording is a bit too slow, and the only other recording I heard cuts a significant part out of the middle and isn't that good, so a special part of it for me is playing it myself the way I actually hear the piece and knowing that I might be one of the only people in the world playing it the way that triggers that feeling in me)

Stanchinsky - 12 Sketches No. 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WefKt57w3...ture=plpp_video
(particularly from 0:34 on)

No. 6 (I think this one uses one of the ancient Greek modes...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8elza_7Ab...ture=plpp_video
(from 1:06 on)

No. 7 (whole piece is striking in its fragility, but the transition at 0:56 is great)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uGZm2NZ5...ture=plpp_video

Vladigerov - Nocturne Op. 59 No. 4 (until 5:05, if I were playing the set I would never do an attaca into the next movement, after all, it's not exactly indicated in the score...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Iui4JrpgIE&feature=related
(this is like the Stanchinsky Prelude, I hear this piece in a way I haven't heard it ever performed, so it's these two pieces are quite special to me in that sense).

Erik Satie: Air du Grand Prieur (simple but timeless. Favourite part at 1:51, but only in context of what came before)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tZXdhLLs...ture=plpp_video

As for music people have heard of before... well, nothing beats a solid Ravel - Le Gibet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhpX-CyTv...ture=plpp_video
(the moment at 4:15 after everything that came before it particularly strikes me)

Finally, something way off the radar (but may be appreciated by those into minimalism)
Ryuichi Sakamoto - In The Red (Rhodes Piano)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCSwqXwSB...ture=plpp_video

These pieces have all put a tear in my eye at one moment or another, but the most consistent is the Sakamoto.

Edited by kcoul058 (09/07/12 02:54 AM)

#1955359 - 09/07/12 10:43 AM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: LadyChen]
DameMyra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Jersey
Originally Posted By: LadyChen
Originally Posted By: sandalholme

YES.

Also, Lauridsen's Lux Aeterna. It gives me goosebumps and brings tears to my eyes at several points smile.

The Lauridsen has the same effect on me. Also speaking of Elgar, the Nimrod variation touches me in a very profound way, each and every time I hear it.
Managing Director, Northern Lights Music Festival

#1955414 - 09/07/12 12:44 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: DameMyra]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: DameMyra
Also speaking of Elgar, the Nimrod variation touches me in a very profound way, each and every time I hear it.

That and Elgar's incandescent setting (with divided strings, who would have thought of that?) of Newman's words from Gerontius:

I can no more, for now it comes again;
That sense of ruin, which is worse than pain;
That masterful negation and collapse
Of all that makes me man

#1955427 - 09/07/12 01:10 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: Andromaque]
Old Man Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan, USA
Originally Posted By: Andromaque

Speaking for myself only, yes, I literally tear up at hearing many pieces of music. I just assumed we all meant it literally, but maybe I'm wrong, and I'm the oddball here. grin

#1959697 - 09/16/12 02:28 PM Re: passages that make you tear up every time [Re: riley80]
riley80 Offline

Loc: Florida
Liszt Consolation No. 3.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
157 registered (accordeur, Adam Coleman, 36251, 40 invisible), 1753 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74217 Members
42 Forums
153528 Topics
2249883 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Why 88 keys?
by gsmonks
Today at 03:01 PM
Casio AP range advice please
by thamajor7
Today at 01:38 PM
Installing plain wire: no twists involved
by A443
Today at 01:12 PM
Disney - Mulan - Reflection (arr. by K. Landry)
by Gi Dy
Today at 12:32 PM
A good introduction to history of French classical music?
by BWV 846
Today at 10:50 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission