Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
70 registered (ando, antony, ALEXANDER DYKER, accordeur, 18 invisible), 1201 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1954395 - 09/05/12 05:27 PM New Fall 2012 Edition of Piano Buyer
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
The new, Fall 2012 edition of Piano Buyer will be posted at www.pianobuyer.com in the next day or so.

[carnival barker mode]

New Ratings!!! New feature articles!!! Updated prices and manufacturer profiles!!!

[/carnival barker mode]

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1954402 - 09/05/12 05:35 PM Re: New Fall 2012 Edition of Piano Buyer [Re: Steve Cohen]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Thanks for the heads up Steve -

LOOKING FORWARD TO READING IT - SUCH A WONDERFUL RESOURCE !!!!!!!!!!!

thumb

#1954488 - 09/05/12 09:09 PM Re: New Fall 2012 Edition of Piano Buyer [Re: Steve Cohen]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney
Ditto

#1954490 - 09/05/12 09:11 PM Re: New Fall 2012 Edition of Piano Buyer [Re: Steve Cohen]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
Steve, Is there a direct link to purchase hard copies?

#1954492 - 09/05/12 09:15 PM Re: New Fall 2012 Edition of Piano Buyer [Re: Steve Cohen]
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Now THAT is good news!
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
www.cunninghampiano.com

#1954574 - 09/06/12 02:56 AM Re: New Fall 2012 Edition of Piano Buyer [Re: Steve Cohen]
Lakeside Offline

Loc: Beijing China
Thanks and look forward to!

#1954718 - 09/06/12 10:06 AM Re: New Fall 2012 Edition of Piano Buyer [Re: Dave B]
Steve Cohen Offline

Originally Posted By: Dave B
Steve, Is there a direct link to purchase hard copies?

Wait a few days then go to http://www.pianobuyer.com/buybooks.html.

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#1954766 - 09/06/12 11:22 AM Re: New Fall 2012 Edition of Piano Buyer [Re: Steve Cohen]
Eric Gloo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richfield Springs, New York
Now I'm craving a candied apple and cotton candy! crazy
Richfield Springs, New York

#1954786 - 09/06/12 12:07 PM Re: New Fall 2012 Edition of Piano Buyer [Re: Steve Cohen]
Thrill Science Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
No changes, as far as I can tell, to the "Highest Quality" list. And U.S. Steinway isn't on it! (p.44)

#1954803 - 09/06/12 12:38 PM Re: New Fall 2012 Edition of Piano Buyer [Re: Steve Cohen]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
I pre-ordered mine from Amazon last night.

#1956632 - 09/09/12 09:27 PM Re: New Fall 2012 Edition of Piano Buyer [Re: Steve Cohen]
pianoloverus Offline

Loc: New York City
I very much enjoyed the articles on boutique pianos and on regulation/voicing of performance pianos.

I have a question about navigating on each page. I have always had this problem for every online edition and I'm guessing it's due to some lack in basic computer skill.(I'm using the Flash version not that I know what that means.)

Anyway, when I enlarge the page to read it and am scrolling up and down to read the page, the page always seems to shrink back to its smaller size. So the result is while I'm reading a page I have to enlarge it several times while reading the page.

Can you tell what I'm doing wrong?

#1956641 - 09/09/12 09:56 PM Re: New Fall 2012 Edition of Piano Buyer [Re: Steve Cohen]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Hot off the press! Gotta love it!

PLU - Once you have enlarged the page, don't click on the wheel or you will change the page size. Just roll (scroll) the wheel and it will raise or lower the page without a change in size.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#1956653 - 09/09/12 10:11 PM Re: New Fall 2012 Edition of Piano Buyer [Re: Steve Cohen]
dsch Offline

Loc: florida
It seems to me that most makers wish to go out of business.

The price increases are breathtakingly absurd especially considering that most people have lower disposable income, not greater, with each successive year due to stagnant salaries and rising costs of food, utilities, gas, health care, and education.

Also it looks as if Larry Fine is backing away from the concept of SMP.

#1956654 - 09/09/12 10:11 PM Re: New Fall 2012 Edition of Piano Buyer [Re: pianoloverus]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
Can you tell what I'm doing wrong?
If you are having trouble with the flash version, try the HTML version, a.k.a. normal webpage.

You lose some of the cool flash features, but it navigates fine. On the HTML version, enlarging the size is "command +" on my mac and I think "control +" on my PC.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#1956662 - 09/09/12 10:21 PM Re: New Fall 2012 Edition of Piano Buyer [Re: Steve Cohen]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I just finished reading through the new edition, including re-reading a lot of the parts I have studied before. Nice job, Larry!

#1956781 - 09/10/12 06:42 AM Re: New Fall 2012 Edition of Piano Buyer [Re: dsch]
pianoloverus Offline

Originally Posted By: dsch
It seems to me that most makers wish to go out of business.

The price increases are breathtakingly absurd especially considering that most people have lower disposable income, not greater, with each successive year due to stagnant salaries and rising costs of food, utilities, gas, health care, and education.
I also got the impression that the price increases were greater than usual although this was just a general impression.

I got an even stronger impression that many makers are using MSRPs that are much higher than the SMPs.

Did he write something specific about that in the latest issue? If not, I see zero evidence of any backing away from SMP. It's listed on every page of the piano pricing section.

Edited by pianoloverus (09/10/12 06:53 AM)

#1956782 - 09/10/12 06:56 AM Re: New Fall 2012 Edition of Piano Buyer [Re: Steve Cohen]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney
Thanks !
Is the SMP the suggested maximum price for the wholesaler or retailer ?

#1956823 - 09/10/12 08:51 AM Re: New Fall 2012 Edition of Piano Buyer [Re: custard apple]
pianoloverus Offline

Originally Posted By: custard apple
Thanks !
Is the SMP the suggested maximum price for the wholesaler or retailer ?
For the customer. To get the benefit from the SMP you should read the very clearly worded explanation on the pages before the SMPs for particular pianos are listed.

#1957037 - 09/10/12 05:00 PM Re: New Fall 2012 Edition of Piano Buyer [Re: Steve Cohen]
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: torrance, CA
Stee,

I notice that the "profesional" category of pianos had a short shelf life. Maybe the tables should be marked with an expiration date like dairy products.

It would seem that Pianobuyer is now trying to tell me that Bohemia, W. Hoffmann (Tradition), Irmler (Professional)* Seiler (ES)*, Wilh. Steinberg (AC). and Vogel are better pianos than a Yamaha C or Kawai RX grand. "Good", "better", and "best" are fighting words, but I'm not sure they're in accordance with a snapshot of the market today. grin

I can only begin to imagine the tremendous effort that went into finding numerous samples of all these "Best" Intermediate grade rare birdss and the extensive hands-on testing that must have taken place before awarding them a "Best" designation.

#1957051 - 09/10/12 05:22 PM Re: New Fall 2012 Edition of Piano Buyer [Re: Steve Cohen]
Steve Cohen Offline

Tur,

The "Professional Grade" category didn't have a short shelf life. I suggested to Larry that "Intermediate Grade" was a more descriptive name and it didn't carry the baggage of the word "professional". He agreed and the change was made.

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com

#1957057 - 09/10/12 05:25 PM Re: New Fall 2012 Edition of Piano Buyer [Re: Steve Cohen]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
Turandot, Go out and look for yourself.

#1957078 - 09/10/12 05:55 PM Re: New Fall 2012 Edition of Piano Buyer [Re: Steve Cohen]
Rank Piano Amateur Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Is it possible that so much emphasis has been put on the idea that consumers have to bargain prices down that manufacturers are raising prices so that the dealers can give a greater percentage as a discount? I have long believed that this is the practice in many other industries, so why not in the world of pianos? That way, a consumer can feel that he or she got a good deal because the discount was greater. If this has happened in the world of pianos, it is a truly unfortunate byproduct of what I consider to be excessive bargaining; I would view it as an extremity to which manufacturers and dealers have bee pushed.

I heard an ad on the radio the other day that said that in many dealerships (not pianos, I have forgotten what the ad was selling, furniture I think) the discount price was becoming the "regular" price. And I am convinced that car prices increase at least in part for the reasons outlined above.

On the other hand, raw materials and fuel, as well as components of manufacturing like health care for employees, increase in cost at a rate far greater than inflation. And, has been pointed out elsewhere on this Forum, wages in countries where many pianos are manufactured are going up to approach fairer levels. So there are reasons other than marketing necessity that might cause prices to increase.

In any event, there are lots of reasons why the consumer price index (or inflation) is not a reliable gauge for what constitutes an appropriate price increase. I find it inconceivable that any manufacturer willingly prices its products at an arbitrarily high level to insure that it cannot survive the current economic climate.

#1957088 - 09/10/12 06:16 PM Re: New Fall 2012 Edition of Piano Buyer [Re: turandot]
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: turandot

I notice that the "profesional" category of pianos had a short shelf life.

I noticed that as well, particularly because I'm in the market for a professional
grade instrument, i.e. a Yamaha C3.

How something can be renamed from "professional" to "intermediate" is very strange to me.

I wonder where the new Yamaha CX line will end up when it is added in the future, with the better parts, more hand-built, and more parameters for voicing.
Yamaha NU1 + Production Grand

#1957095 - 09/10/12 06:28 PM Re: New Fall 2012 Edition of Piano Buyer [Re: Steve Cohen]
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: torrance, CA
Originally Posted By: Steve Cohen
Tur,

The "Professional Grade" category didn't have a short shelf life. I suggested to Larry that "Intermediate Grade" was a more descriptive name and it didn't carry the baggage of the word "professional". He agreed and the change was made.

Okay Steve. So Intermediate replaces professional. But what about Good. Better, and Best? Is that warranted> on what basis?

Part of the criteria for inclusion inthe Professional class was successful use in professional installations like studios, teaching institutions, and concert venues. Make a case for me about how that applies to most of these 'Best" pianos.

I think you know what I'm getting at. Most of these "Best" pianos are not widely found in store inventories. and it's not because they're selling quickly. Many, such as the Steinberg AC and the Seiler ES, have no track records at all either under their current names or earlier incarnations. Who supplied the data? Who did the hands-on testing? What's the basis of judgment for being "Best" of grade?? And please don't tell me it was verified by the manufacturers or culled from a quick look at some show ponies at NAMM.

#1957098 - 09/10/12 06:42 PM Re: New Fall 2012 Edition of Piano Buyer [Re: turandot]
pianoloverus Offline

Okay Steve. So Intermediate replaces professional. But what about Good. Better, and Best? Is that warranted> on what basis?
The basis is the judgement of Fine and the numerous techs/industry professional he consults.

Part of the criteria for inclusion inthe Professional class was successful use in professional installations like studios, teaching institutions, and concert venues. Make a case for me about how that applies to most of these 'Best" pianos.
There no longer is a professional category so your question is meaningless. The relative ranking of the pianos(including Seiler and Steinberg in comparison to Yamaha)in the Piano Buyer has changed only a little and very gradually over the years. The names of the various categories and sub categories don't really matter very much unless you are just trying to be argumentative.

I think you know what I'm getting at. Most of these "Best" pianos are not widely found in store inventories. and it's not because they're selling quickly. Many, such as the Steinberg AC and the Seiler ES, have no track records at all either under their current names or earlier incarnations. Who supplied the data? Who did the hands-on testing? What's the basis of judgment for being "Best" of grade??
Ever think that Fine and the many people that help him make the ratings might have just a little bit more experience in every aspect of the piano industry than you? Have you even tuned a single piano for pay or sold a single piano you didn't own or been to a single factory outside the U.S., etc.?

Edited by pianoloverus (09/10/12 06:57 PM)

#1957131 - 09/10/12 08:14 PM Re: New Fall 2012 Edition of Piano Buyer [Re: Steve Cohen]
Norbert Offline

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Quote:
The basis is the judgement of Fine and the numerous techs/industry professional he consults.

If this is true then the "techs and industry professionals" failed to point out that there are often considerable differences in quality between the different models by very same manufacturer.

This is nowhere more true than among the so-called "Consumer Grade" of pianos.

And NOT only having simply to do with country of origin...

Not making this crucial differentiation, something every unbiased professional I know is only too aware of,is leaving out one very important part of the equation.

Simply rating things by "brand" deprives shoppers the opportunity to check out and select a particular model that's perhaps cutting edge and sticking out from the crowd.

Which is exactly what shoppers in today's highly varied market are after.

Norbert

Edited by Norbert (09/10/12 08:28 PM)

#1957146 - 09/10/12 08:43 PM Re: New Fall 2012 Edition of Piano Buyer [Re: Norbert]
pianoloverus Offline

Originally Posted By: Norbert
Quote:

If this is true then the "techs and industry professionals" failed to point out that there are often considerable differences in quality between the different models by very same manufacturer.

This is nowhere more true than among the so-called "Consumer Grade" of pianos.

And NOT only having simply to do with country of origin...

Not making this crucial differentiation, something every unbiased professional I know is only too aware of,is leaving out one very important part of the equation.

Simply rating things by "brand" deprives shoppers the opportunity to check out and select a particular model that's perhaps cutting edge and sticking out from the crowd.

Which is exactly what shoppers in today's highly varied market are after.

Norbert
I think the reason Fine doesn't rate the separate models of each piano maker is pretty simple and obvious. It's complicated and controversial enough to try and rate the makes in general.

For some makes he does discuss(and has always discussed)the relative merits of their different models in the section that has write ups on each manufacturer.

Edited by pianoloverus (09/10/12 08:53 PM)

#1957167 - 09/10/12 10:15 PM Re: New Fall 2012 Edition of Piano Buyer [Re: pianoloverus]
dsch Offline

Loc: florida

Did he write something specific about that in the latest issue? If not, I see zero evidence of any backing away from SMP. It's listed on every page of the piano pricing section.

I wrote that because in the past, there was a considerable difference between MSRP and SMP. Now, these two figures are converging for most of the "better" brands. For many brands the two values are identical. It was not always like this. I imagine that Fine received a lot of flak from manufacturers for daring to suggest that a particular discount was standard.

But who pays list price aside from institutions, professional athletes, movie or rock stars, drug dealers, politicians, and greedy developers? I'd like to know.

Ten years (or so) ago Perry Knize bought a Grotrian Cabinet for $27K. Now they are nearly triple that price. What made them worth almost three times as much in such a short time span? That, too, is something I'd like to know.

I do not wish to see the makers of the finest pianos go extinct but I honestly know of 0 people in my circle of acquaintances who could ever hope to buy one.

I guess my only hope at this point is to get a somewhat used nice instrument from a desperate seller. This is taking advantage of a different kind of desperation compared to the $1.50/hr Chinese or Indonesian labor that many of the Euro makers are now enjoying.

Edited by dsch (09/10/12 10:17 PM)

#1957178 - 09/10/12 10:42 PM Re: New Fall 2012 Edition of Piano Buyer [Re: dsch]
pianoloverus Offline

I wrote that because in the past, there was a considerable difference between MSRP and SMP. Now, these two figures are converging for most of the "better" brands. For many brands the two values are identical. It was not always like this. I imagine that Fine received a lot of flak from manufacturers for daring to suggest that a particular discount was standard.

But who pays list price aside from institutions, professional athletes, movie or rock stars, drug dealers, politicians, and greedy developers? I'd like to know.
Actually, my strong impression(not a scientific comparison)is that the opposite of what you say is true, i.e. the tendency has been for a greater increase between the MSRP and SMP for the best pianos.

Form the very beginning of the Supplements to the Piano Book(more than 10 and maybe as much as 20 years ago), Fine gave SMPs, although I think the actual term "SMP" may have only appeared when the Piano Buyer was introduced. And I believe from the beginning he also suggested typically available discounts from the SMP. All this is nothing new for manufacturers so I see nothing to indicate that manufacturers would have recently become upset about the SMPs and suggested discounts.

You mention that institutions pay full price, but the opposite is true. Institutions(as in music schools)typically receive bigger discounts than individuals because they purchase multiple pianos.

Finally, although the price of Grotrians has increased, I think your figures there are incorrect. The latest SMP for the Cabinet Grand is around 75K. With 30% off that the selling price would be closer to 52K, a little less than twice what Knize paid.

Edited by pianoloverus (09/10/12 10:51 PM)

#1957199 - 09/10/12 11:30 PM Re: New Fall 2012 Edition of Piano Buyer [Re: Steve Cohen]
Nick Mauel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Sarasota and Naples, FL
Larry Fine's SMP is pretty much the same as an industry publication from Ancott that was available only to dealers since the 1980's but was discontinued about 5 years ago. When both price lists were published simultaneously for awhile, they were in agreement.

Dealers relied on the Ancott resource as a level playing field to see what other piano brands 'actually' cost -- and now this same level playing field is offered to consumers who consult Larry's publication.

I think that piano buyers should be grateful to have access to this very accurate pricing information.

I believe that Larry probably does most of his work for the Pianobuyer publication in this area to make sure that consumers are accurately informed.

He has stated that shoppers can disregard the MSRP (bogus) since the SMP is the most 'in the know' figure, and this is where having some standardization really helps in regard to pricing.

Some dealers subscribe to this philosophy while others do not, perhaps not wishing (nor able) to adhere to a normal margin due to very high overhead expenses.

I have always advised customers to take into account not only the piano brand and pricing, but ultimately the percentage of discount you are able to receive for a particular brand in order to achieve the best value, and having a standardized source as a starting point is a tremendous aid.

Larry is doing a great service to consumers in bringing the 'real' retail prices to the public, from which you can still expect to receive a discount, and I believe that it is done with great care and the integrity for which he is known.

I have always supported 'truth in pricing' and applaud Larry for what he has done to help our industry.

Thanks,

Nick
239-206-4541 direct line
www.nickspiano.com

Concert Piano Technician, Dealer, and Pianist

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A new clip of Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
Yesterday at 11:03 PM
Learn a Song in 7 minutes: Carol of the Bells
by Hugh Sung
Yesterday at 10:11 PM
December 2014 Holiday Piano Bar
by piano_primo_1
Yesterday at 06:14 PM
The Language of Taste - Pianos, Wine ... and Birds
by PNO40
Yesterday at 05:16 PM
Good Practice Amp for Roland FP7F?
by TheloniousPunk
Yesterday at 04:24 PM
Forum Stats
77333 Members
42 Forums
159946 Topics
2348957 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission