2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,410 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
K
Brahms Intermezzo Op. 118, No. 2 does it for me...

http://youtu.be/1h4Re5WBEAc

For me, there is something so compelling about this piece. Full of love and longing. Moments of excruciating beauty and tenderness. Gets me every time.

1909 Steinway Model A
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Maybe too obvious... but maybe I'm a too-obvious kind of guy...

... and as others have said, not every time...
the return of "Ist auf deiner Psalter..." in Brahms's Alto Rhapsody

(I'm a piano teacher.)
R
R
Chopin "Nocturne in D flat Major" - toward the end where those 7 1/2 step intervals fall, (do -fi, ti-fa etc)

There's also a hornpipe in Handel's Water Music that always gets me - maybe not a tear, but def. a throat lump.

I have even been known to break down in a church at hearing "Jesus Saviour Pilot Me".

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I am starting to feel a bit odd here. Do you guys really (Really) "tear up" at these passages??? or are we using the term very loosely? or may be I am taking it too literally?

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Andromaque
I am starting to feel a bit odd here. Do you guys really (Really) "tear up" at these passages??? or are we using the term very loosely? or may be I am taking it too literally?
In my situation, the first few times, yes, literally. Now I know what's coming and I don't.

I don't discount the idea (already mentioned) that what was happening in my life at the time may have had as much or more influence on my emotional reaction than the music itself did.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by david_a
In my situation, the first few times, yes, literally. Now I know what's coming and I don't.

yep.. the first few times, may be. But that must have been a decade or two (?more) ago for most of us here.. smile

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I still often tear up at the final cadenza to Ravel's Concerto for the left hand whenever I am listening to a great performance of the piece all the way through, and I am concentrating on the music and letting my mind fall into the bliss.

J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
- The slow section at the end of the first movement of Schumann's Fantasy.
- The "big tune" with variations in the Liszt Second Ballade.
- Brahms' Intermezzo in B minor, Op. 119 No. 1 - the central waltz. Deeply poignant.
- Also Brahms - several passages in the Ballade Op. 10 No. 4, if well played.
- Chopin - the Prelude in F# major, the middle section. Often imitated, never duplicated.

I feel extremely fortunate that I have the ability to play all these pieces and bring out the desired effect.

Last edited by jeffreyjones; 09/05/12 01:52 AM.
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Elgar Sea Pictures, as sung by Janet Baker. In particular "because your voice has faltered" in Sabbath Morning at Sea and "God surely loved us a little then" in The Swimmer.

All in all a wonderful cd: it's coupled with the Du Pre Elgar concerto with Barbirolli.

Also Elgar: "Yea, in spite of a dreamer who slumbers and a singer who sings no more" in The Music Makers, which surely meant so much to Elgar, his close friend August Jaeger having died 3 years' before.

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by currawong
Schubert: D960 second movement
Mahler: Das Lied von der Erde, last movement - many places, but particularly the ending. Ewig, ewig ...
Mahler: Symphony #3, last movement. I'm not a great brass lover, but when the brass come quietly in with the main theme about 5 minutes from the end - it gets me every time.
Strauss: Beim Schlafengehen
Berg: Violin concerto, at the end where it all begins to dissolve.

I had already thought of that sublime moment from Mahler's 3rd when I got to your post. I will confess to being a brass lover, but that is just stunningly beautiful.

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
One more of many. The final movement of the Vaughn-Williams Hodie, when performed with full orchestra, gets me every time.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by sandalholme
Elgar Sea Pictures, as sung by Janet Baker. In particular "because your voice has faltered" in Sabbath Morning at Sea and "God surely loved us a little then" in The Swimmer.

YES.

Also, Lauridsen's Lux Aeterna. It gives me goosebumps and brings tears to my eyes at several points smile.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
what gets me sometimes is motion picture scores.. currently listening to the main suite from Forrest Gump and Schindler's List main theme

nothing better than listening to these pieces while, of course watching the movie, and thinking of other things in your life that may have sentimental value.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Too many to be mentioned publicly... blush
Sometimes when I listen to one of these passages I feel the Weltschmerz shatter me to such a degree that I am unable to resume what I was doing before playing or listening. cry

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Clichéd maybe, but Albinoni's Adagio in G minor, Alkan's Op. 15 and, for some reason, Rzewski's The People United Will Never Be Defeated have made me shed tears each and every time I've heard them in their entirety...um...Andromaque...does nothing (music-wise, of course smile ) make you cry anymore? I find that notion... frown
Xxx

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A lot of the more obscure music I have found, for me (I live for the kinds of pieces that hit you in that place inside...):

Stanchinsky - Prelude en Mode Lyrique
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5fvk5wR-xM&feature=related
(this recording is a bit too slow, and the only other recording I heard cuts a significant part out of the middle and isn't that good, so a special part of it for me is playing it myself the way I actually hear the piece and knowing that I might be one of the only people in the world playing it the way that triggers that feeling in me)

Stanchinsky - 12 Sketches No. 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WefK...C8ABA&index=8&feature=plpp_video
(particularly from 0:34 on)

No. 6 (I think this one uses one of the ancient Greek modes...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8elz...C8ABA&index=9&feature=plpp_video
(from 1:06 on)

No. 7 (whole piece is striking in its fragility, but the transition at 0:56 is great)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uGZ...8ABA&index=10&feature=plpp_video

Vladigerov - Nocturne Op. 59 No. 4 (until 5:05, if I were playing the set I would never do an attaca into the next movement, after all, it's not exactly indicated in the score...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Iui4JrpgIE&feature=related
(this is like the Stanchinsky Prelude, I hear this piece in a way I haven't heard it ever performed, so it's these two pieces are quite special to me in that sense).

Erik Satie: Air du Grand Prieur (simple but timeless. Favourite part at 1:51, but only in context of what came before)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tZX...C8ABA&index=7&feature=plpp_video

As for music people have heard of before... well, nothing beats a solid Ravel - Le Gibet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhpX...8ABA&index=16&feature=plpp_video
(the moment at 4:15 after everything that came before it particularly strikes me)

Finally, something way off the radar (but may be appreciated by those into minimalism)
Ryuichi Sakamoto - In The Red (Rhodes Piano)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCSw...f-OQ&index=21&feature=plpp_video

These pieces have all put a tear in my eye at one moment or another, but the most consistent is the Sakamoto.

Last edited by kcoul058; 09/07/12 02:54 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LadyChen
Originally Posted by sandalholme

YES.

Also, Lauridsen's Lux Aeterna. It gives me goosebumps and brings tears to my eyes at several points smile.

The Lauridsen has the same effect on me. Also speaking of Elgar, the Nimrod variation touches me in a very profound way, each and every time I hear it.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by DameMyra
Also speaking of Elgar, the Nimrod variation touches me in a very profound way, each and every time I hear it.

That and Elgar's incandescent setting (with divided strings, who would have thought of that?) of Newman's words from Gerontius:

I can no more, for now it comes again;
That sense of ruin, which is worse than pain;
That masterful negation and collapse
Of all that makes me man

Jason
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Andromaque

Speaking for myself only, yes, I literally tear up at hearing many pieces of music. I just assumed we all meant it literally, but maybe I'm wrong, and I'm the oddball here. grin

R
R
Liszt Consolation No. 3.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission