2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 2,031 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Plowboy Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Field's Piano in Orange County is having a "total liquidation" sale. They are selling everything to become a Steinway Gallery.

Not sure, does that means Steinway will be buying them out? They are getting rid of Kawai, Kohler and Campbell, Young Chang and Weber. Their Steinway stock is reduced in price, too. Significantly, if I'm reading the Piano Buyer correctly.

This must be good news for Kim's in Garden Grove. Seems like a mistake for Field's to dump Kawai and YC, etc. More choices for their customers should be a good thing, no?

Is Steinway looking to have only company owned stores?

Gary
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The Steinway Gallery's in Canada are not owned by Steinway. They are owned by piano
dealers that only carry Steinway products. Seems like Steinway want this to be the way of the future.

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Just checked ther website.. No info on "liquidation" sale. Where did u get your news?

Plowboy Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rod Verhnjak
The Steinway Gallery's in Canada are not owned by Steinway. They are owned by piano
dealers that only carry Steinway products. Seems like Steinway want this to be the way of the future.

Rod, that must be it. It might be good for Steinway, but not sure why Field's would want to restrict buying options for their customers.

Originally Posted by Gatsbee13
Just checked ther website.. No info on "liquidation" sale. Where did u get your news?

From the huge orange sign visible for miles! And I stopped by the store to see about the free tuning for my new piano. They have posters throughout the store about the change.

Yes, my timing is, as usual, excellent. Buy a piano one month before a real sale!

Last edited by Plowboy; 09/07/12 10:28 AM.

Gary
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gary Schenk
Yes, my timing is, as usual, excellent. Buy a piano one month before a real sale!

Your timing, and your luck, sounds about like mine... smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
S
S
Originally Posted by Plowboy
It might be good for Steinway, but not sure why Field's would want to restrict buying options for their customers.

[quote=Gatsbee13] Just checked ther website.. No info on "liquidation" sale. Where did u get your news?

Steinway apparently feels that their "family of instruments", Steinway, Boston and Essex should be able to satisfy the store's market. They frown on dealerships carrying any brands that compete with the "family". This doesn't mean that it is forbidden.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

M
M
Good for Kim's and Pierrer's piano for brand selection. Steinway already has store presence in old town Pasadena and Los Angeles. I guess Orange County would be the next stop.

My music_website at http://www.OdysseyofaG.com
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Wasn't it Fields Piano in West L.A. (pico blvd.) that was going out of business for so long that some govt. agency got involved?

Given what I know of Pierre, I don't think he wants most of those brands. His business bread and butter is north of Wilshire. When I asked about Hailun he actually said (with a smile) "Does it say Pierre's Pianos on the building? No, it says Pierre's Fine Pianos. I don't want any more asian pianos than I already have."

Kurt

Last edited by KurtZ; 09/07/12 09:26 PM. Reason: minor spelling

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
lol..

Regarding the change, I wonder what the cost difference is between buying a brand new Steinway at fields vs the gallery. Fields to me, seems like it would cost less.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
After having a conversation with somebody there in Southern California; in such a competitive market it makes sense for Fields to commit to Steinway only.

Steinway dealers have the will of subjecting to a strict business etiquette or business model in order to avoid jeopardizing the dealership with Steinway.
Consequently dealers are capable of maintaining very healthy margins. IMO Steinway is the only manufacturer that can keep such a tight leash on the dealers (something to be envious of).

Last edited by Kurtmen; 09/07/12 05:16 PM.

San Mateo Piano
Kawai Piano Dealer San Francisco Bay Area
www.sanmateopiano.com

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
According to Steinway, here is the list of the Galleries owned directly by S&S.

Steinway Hall - Manhattan, NY
Long Island, NY
Miami, FL
Paramus, NJ
Westport, CT
Pasadena, CA
West Hollywood, CA
Hinsdale, IL
Northbrook, IL

All of the remainder, selling new products, are privately owned dealerships having contracts with Steinway & Sons.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Online Content
I think it's bad taste when posters choose frivolous thread titles that seem to rejoice in dealer closings or revampings.

This seems particularly the case for Steinway dealers. There have been several threads in the past almost joyously announcing the closing of Steinway dealers.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/07/12 09:15 PM.
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Sure, but Plowboy bought his piano from this particular dealer so I doubt he rejoices in their closing. Besides, they're just liquidating to make room for Steinway.

Plowboy Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gnuboi
Sure, but Plowboy bought his piano from this particular dealer so I doubt he rejoices in their closing. Besides, they're just liquidating to make room for Steinway.

Yes.

I was just curious if any of our industry experts might have an insight as to the situation. It's a big change, Field's has been the face of Steinway in SoCal for some time now. They seem to have been weathering the recession quite well. Several years ago the manager there told me it was because they owned their inventory.

They are a good operation, IMO.

Of course, getting a cranky response from pianoloverus is just a bonus.:-)

Gary
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
A lot of colleges in our area Gary. Retailers who go all Steinway are in a better position to tap into the All Steinway Schools program. USC's commitment to the program alone is 2.9 mil for pianos and 600k for program maintenance.

I don't know the exact product mix, but I know there are no Kawai's or Young Chang's in that order. Institutional sales don't necessarily mirror a sour consumer economy.

Enjoy your piano (and your bonus). grin

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M

Fields stumbled a bit last year, but they were still a 5m store. Not many can say that. As was mentioned, becoming a Steinway Gallery does not mean selling out to the factory and, as was also mentioned, may mean a consolidation that is more profittable than being merely a home of steinway. One thing you'll seldom see is a new Steinway piano liquidation.

Mike

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Mike Carr

Fields stumbled a bit last year, but they were still a 5m store.

Mike

Gee, that is a very interesting factoid coming from someone who claims not to be an industry insider.

What - did you just call and Jerry disclosed that info on the phone?

Last edited by Furtwangler; 09/08/12 03:21 PM.

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Plowboy , It's my understanding that Steinway has only floor plan agreements. But there are exceptions for every rule.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Furtwangler

Mike

Gee, that is a very interesting factoid coming from someone who claims not to be an industry insider.

Furt,

This is getting really stale.

What if Mike had been in the industry and chose not to disclose it? How would he be any different from you?

If you doubt Mike's report, just check it out with whoever 'Jerry' is. Surely he'll open up to a true insider like you.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by turandot
Originally Posted by Furtwangler

Mike

Furt,

This is getting really stale.

What if Mike had been in the industry and chose not to disclose it? How would he be any different from you?

If you doubt Mike's report, just check it out with whoever 'Jerry' is. Surely he'll open up to a true insider like you.

Give me a break.

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission