2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Aylin, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 1200s, akse0435, 6 invisible), 1,320 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Thanks for all the kind comments!
I'd be happy to post a recording pre and post tuning, although it will hurt your ears really badly to hear it pre tuning. I've been inspecting it more thoroughly, and it's pretty amazing how low the mileage is. The hammers have no grooves at all, except in the middle section which has a tiny amount (visible only if you look from the right angle). I think the action is going to need regulation, because the hammers don't go close enough to the strings, so I can't play pp. It shouldn't be a problem to have my tech do it though.

A couple other interesting notes about the piano...
The una corda wasn't working when I went to check out the piano, so I removed the right block next to the action (I forget what it's called) and found an 1877 silver trade dollar (I gave it back. Apparently an uncle has a coin collection and a kid stuck one in the piano). After that, the una corda worked fine.
I also heard some rustling when opening and closing the fallboard, so I removed the fallboard to find: a broken Popsicle stick; an old piece of sheet music; and an invitation to a student's recital at Julliard from the 1991-1992 season (the year the piano was made/purchased). It's really amazing to me that someone would spend that much money on a musical instrument only to have it sit in a corner of a living room, totally neglected and uncared for frown (although, to their credit, they definitely cared for the finish, which is perfect).

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
It's really amazing to me that someone would spend that much money on a musical instrument only to have it sit in a corner of a living room, totally neglected and uncared for (although, to their credit, they definitely cared for the finish, which is perfect).

"They" say that Steinways are purchased for this at times as well. More $$$ sitting in the corner. Did Madoff play?

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
and not even broken in yet!

J
6000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J
Sam, I watched your youtube video. I can't believe you've been playing for only 2 years. You sound amazing.

YAMAHA Artist
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by joe80
Sam, I watched your youtube video. I can't believe you've been playing for only 2 years. You sound amazing.

That's very nice of you smile

Just out of curiosity, which video did you watch? I haven't recorded much in a long time, because I don't think my playing sounds very good right now (my ear has gotten much better, so I hear all the problems with my playing).

Currently Butchering:
♪ > $
J
6000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J
As your ear gets better, your playing sounds worse to yourself. Don't worry, its normal.

I heard Chopin Fantasie-Impromptu, and the end of the first Ballade. These are both very difficult, and you play with flair, you know, and great musicality. Your technique is good too, well above what I would expect from someone who has been playing for so little time. In fact, so far above I'd believe it if you told me you'd been playing since you were 11. You could probably do a convincing audition for a conservatoire or university playing as you are.

Do you play the staple repertoire of Bach, Beethoven, Czerny, Haydn, Mozart and Schubert?

YAMAHA Artist
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
As your ear gets better, your playing sounds worse to yourself. Don't worry, its normal.

I heard Chopin Fantasie-Impromptu, and the end of the first Ballade. These are both very difficult, and you play with flair, you know, and great musicality. Your technique is good too, well above what I would expect from someone who has been playing for so little time. In fact, so far above I'd believe it if you told me you'd been playing since you were 11. You could probably do a convincing audition for a conservatoire or university playing as you are.

Do you play the staple repertoire of Bach, Beethoven, Czerny, Haydn, Mozart and Schubert?

Thanks for the comments. I'm glad it's normal for my playing to sound worse, because it's somewhat discouraging at times.

Those recordings are old though, and I don't think they're very good. The Fantaisie Impromptu was taken at just over one year from when I started playing, and it looks like my hands are trying to jump off a cliff or something shocked (and sounds that way too).
The end of the ballade is from about 16 months, and it also needed a lot of work (much of that work has been done). I only had an upright when I recorded the end of the ballade; now I'm on my second grand! I really got bit by this bug very hard laugh

I don't play enough repertoire, because my reading is awful. I'm working on that now, instead of new repertoire. The only real pieces I "finished" are the Impromptu and Nocturne in C sharp minor (in fact, the Nocturne is the only recording on my channel that I think is pretty good, although it still has some very rough edges). I say "finished," because I learned them on my own, and I need to comb over everything with my new teacher. The Ballade has a couple missing measures (but I've memorized 98% of it), and it's on the back burner until I get some more important things done.

Currently Butchering:
♪ > $
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M

Huh? That most certainly is not normal. Opposite to reality, in fact. Where did you get that idea? In fact many musicians do not listen when they are playing, but those that do, get better.

So, as your listening gets better, your playing sounds better (to yourself and others) because it is in fact getting better - because you are listening to yourself!

Lawrence

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
The way I'm understanding "the ear gets better" to mean that one is listening more critically to one's own playing. Then the subtleties of phrasing, articulation, pedaling, etc., etc., become more apparent to the player and lead to the "feeling worse about your playing syndrome." In fact, you are getting better. That is what practicing and mastery are all about. The cycle is endless, as it should be.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
The way I'm understanding "the ear gets better" to mean that one is listening more critically to one's own playing. Then the subtleties of phrasing, articulation, pedaling, etc., etc., become more apparent to the player and lead to the "feeling worse about your playing syndrome." In fact, you are getting better. That is what practicing and mastery are all about. The cycle is endless, as it should be.

Some times I think my piano playing is getting better, much better... then I hear someone play who really know how, and I have second thoughts... smile

Either way, it's still a lot of fun!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Rickster

Some times I think my piano playing is getting better, much better... then I hear someone play who really know how, and I have second thoughts... smile

Either way, it's still a lot of fun!

Rick

Dont you hate that..

Sam, doesnt look like you'll ever be satisfied.. im trying to get off searching craigslist so often but its hard.. almost bought a kawai GS-30 in Orange county for $4500 with disklavier... the guy called me as i was first person to email him but i didnt pick up.. called him back an hour later and it was sold.. oh well, there will always be great deals out there..

Last edited by Gatsbee13; 09/10/12 08:25 PM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
The cycle is endless, as it should be.

+1!

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Your piano looks wonderful--like new. I really like the polished ebony myself which is what I bought a few weeks ago.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Awesome! Congratulations, and really, a great find!

B
B

Congratulations, Sam! It looks gorgeous.

In my neck of the woods there's one of these, a 1990, "lightly used and well cared for" advertised on craigslist for $17K. I'd say you got a deal, can't wait to hear how it sounds once you get it tuned/etc!

Started playing: February 2011. Still having fun.
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Well, you asked for it, so here it is!

Before Tuning (MAJOR apologies to your ears right about now...)

After Tuning

Action still needs a nice bit of regulation, but the piano sounds fantastic!
Apologies for the shoddy playing. I need to practice this bit slowly, but this is good enough for a demonstration.

Currently Butchering:
♪ > $
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
yeah tuning helps smile

'after' sounds very nice.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sam - she is a lovely piano and it great condition!
You have really inspired me to see what I could have achieved in two years if I had had a teacher throughout and been more dedicated...this has to change. I feel a bit emotional now...
I love my piano and want to play him better. My money fortunes should be cha\nging for the better shortly as I am on the way to being self employed.I already have numb erts of piano teachers to call. Piano is tuned and ready! smile
Very good wishes to you. x

P.S Errr.. let's get this straight- you went from beginner to playing Fantasy Impromptu in just two years???!!! Blimey you must be ultra talented! I have an ultra simple version in a new piano book (BEGINNERS) and am too scared to try it LOL.

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 09/13/12 09:56 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Teodor
Originally Posted by piano joy
Congrats- it's beautiful and, personally, I think high gloss is more elegant and (this I know for a fact as I am an expert cleaning person, genetically ) easier to clean!

smile

Enjoy!
(I do wish someone would post a pic of some dumpy old piano they have so I could feel better....oh well, it's all good)

There you go, it looks a bit worse than in the pic laugh

[Linked Image]

Aww you have an overdamped one like mine. Perhaps my sign in name gives you a clue as to my sentiments regarding older/antique pianos- I love them with a passion and find them charming and full of character. I will have to post my dear old Piano's photo sometime.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam Rose
Well, you asked for it, so here it is!

Before Tuning (MAJOR apologies to your ears right about now...)

After Tuning

Action still needs a nice bit of regulation, but the piano sounds fantastic!
Apologies for the shoddy playing. I need to practice this bit slowly, but this is good enough for a demonstration.

Sam- your playing is very very good- in places you are up to the right speed and have the feeling captured. I know I cannot play this but it is one of my fave pieces of music and listen to it loads.I also listen to Yundi Li playing it who in my opinion plays it the best! And in parts you have got it like him! Keep at it Sam- you will have it perfect all the way through soon- in parts you are already there. I love your playing.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission