Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1955968 - 09/08/12 02:22 PM Hammerklavier - 4th movement (feedback much appreciated!)
fnork Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsinki, finland
Once again the work with this seemingly unplayable piece has started. Although plenty of aspects are obviously still "in progress" (isn't everything?) then I have rather limited time with preparing this for an audition. Anyone willing to lend their ears for a moment and give some constructive criticism are more than welcome to do so. Not sure yet about the tempo - I used to play it faster, and I keep having troubles deciding a suitable tempo in general...

http://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=47929.0

#1956016 - 09/08/12 04:22 PM Re: Hammerklavier - 4th movement (feedback much appreciated!) [Re: fnork]
ChrisKeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
Things I liked: the tempo, the clarity.

The tempo is fast enough, I think, to carry the forward momentum required, and it allows the listener time to digest it and not get lost in a blur of notes. And the rhythm is always clear, enhancing the listener's comprehension.

And you play with great clarity. At first the somewhat detached notes seemed odd but I quickly adjusted and ended up liking it. This piece's texture is so thick that clarifying it for the listener is next to impossible. I think you accomplished this very nicely.

I think this could benefit from some greater contrasts and dynamics throughout. Sometimes it feels just a little "mechanical" and lacking in color. And the introduction section should feel a little more free-form and smooth.

I've read through this movement several times in the past, and I have nothing but great respect for what you've achieved here. I doubt I could get anywhere near this level of playing. I look forward to your next recording of this movement!

#1956221 - 09/09/12 05:11 AM Re: Hammerklavier - 4th movement (feedback much appreciated!) [Re: fnork]
fnork Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for commenting! smile I've done a lot of effort in order to gain clarity here, which isn't an easy thing. Keeping notes a tiny bit more detached (or at times rather light and leggiero - if we're talking 16th note passages low in the bass for example, where it'd just be a blur otherwise) is one way to do it, but even more importantly, I'm trying to project the music that's going on beyond the constant 16th note figurations, which are present throughout the piece. Beethoven adds "con alcuna licenza", so, it's a fugue with certain liberties. Liberties usually mentioned are doubling of bass notes and that there'll occasionally be more than three voices, but just as important to mention in my opinion is, that there's a very clear hierarchy between the voices sometimes where a 16th-note figuration might simply provide a harmonic framework rather than sounding like an interesting voice in itself. In places where this happens, I find it useful to highlight other voices that usually move with slower note-values - and I think it helps avoiding monotony. But yes, greater contrasts and dynamics could be done. It's a problematical piece in this sense because there's no way to make it "sound pleasant", and it's not meant to be that way. Still, you don't want it to sound as though Beethoven wrote sempre fortissimmo for the whole fugue. I had very interesting lessons on Hammerklavier this summer and did get the advice to find places to make color changes and pianos, however, I got rather limited advice on where this should be done...

#1956226 - 09/09/12 05:38 AM Re: Hammerklavier - 4th movement (feedback much appreciated!) [Re: fnork]
Franz Beebert Offline

The fugue part you did well! This is not easy, and one cannot be other than impressed. The only two parts that made me a little bit uncomfortable in this performance was the Largo opening, where I found your tone a little bit harsh, and also the climax in the fugue, where it felt like you were stumbling a bit, but hey, now I am hard, this is when comparing your playing with the interpretation of Schnabel.. I cannot play this piece, and you have done a good job. But the opening has a great meaning to it, that very much defines the performance of the piece, and if I were you, I would focus a bit on that part, because clearly, you have the technique.

#1956778 - 09/10/12 06:16 AM Re: Hammerklavier - 4th movement (feedback much appreciated!) [Re: fnork]
fnork Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for commenting, and I do agree with your words. (incidentally, while I love lots of what Schnabel does in his hammerklavier recording, it's actually full of mishaps throughout, in the outer movements in particular - he does take much greater risks in terms of tempo and character than I dared, though!) You're right about what bits I need to work on. For me, the introduction is somehow very hard to do convincingly. It was in a way easier to do it when I performed the piece in its entirety - it's like a rebirth after the amazing slow movement. I have a short 15 minute audition to prepare however and this is a part of the program, and it is somehow very hard to set the mood from the beginning without the preceding movements.

#1956809 - 09/10/12 08:16 AM Re: Hammerklavier - 4th movement (feedback much appreciated!) [Re: fnork]
Beethoven747-400 Offline

Loc: Perth, Australia
Wow.... I am honestly overawed! You have managed to play one of Beethoven's most difficult pieces, and probably one of the most challenging pieces in the whole classical repertoire. This is an accomplishment for any pianist!

I really liked the communication between the voices. The clarity was maintained throughout. I felt it was about to fall apart during the middle section but you kept control. The opening was too brilliant for my liking, none the less this is overall an amazing performance, such an accomplishment!!

I was actually listening to this exact movement on the train to school this morning - played by Valentina Lisitsa :P

I think Bareboim's masterclass would be a great help to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLRvOnbbpnI

All the best!

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
151 registered (accordeur, Anne'sson, acortot, Alexander Borro, 44 invisible), 1617 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157241 Topics
2309445 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha N2 or CLP545
by Butteman
10 minutes 20 seconds ago
Scale & Arp exercises that sounds good to people in lounge
by FarmGirl
28 minutes 21 seconds ago
New to Piano World, Seeking Advice on a Spinet Regulation
by HelloMrZebra
45 minutes 57 seconds ago
Quote not working properly
by Hakki
Today at 12:39 PM
DEBUSSY: ONDINE from Preludes Bk. II
by Hal Freedman
Today at 12:33 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission