Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1955982 - 09/08/12 03:00 PM Bartok - Etude op. 18 nr 3
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsinki, finland
Alright, this is recently started and it seems Bartok wanted to put in as many notes and meter changes as possible in the first pages. The meter changes are mostly in place, the right notes aren't always in place. In any case, would be very happy to hear some feedback on this.

http://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=47931.0

#1956190 - 09/09/12 12:55 AM Re: Bartok - Etude op. 18 nr 3 [Re: fnork]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Very nice work! I don't play the piece, but it's been a favorite for years and I know how annoyingly awkward it is.

They way I hear it, I think the LH could have a bit more sweep, it's almost too clear. Beware voicing the RH, too - I think the piece is more lyric than it lets on. (The outer sections are sostenuto with lots of slur/phrase indications; the middle section is more leggiero/staccato.)

Definitely makes me want to go practice some Bartok - it's been too long!
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1956219 - 09/09/12 04:58 AM Re: Bartok - Etude op. 18 nr 3 [Re: fnork]
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks a lot for having a listen and commenting wisely! Very useful. I know what you mean with the left hand - I feel that it's a bit of a "modernized version of the revolutionary etude" to some extent (similarly, the cadenza passage in the lyrical 2nd etude in this set always reminds me of the middle section of Chopin's op. 10 nr 3...and melodically, I hear a hint of Brahms op. 118 nr 6 there, as well). As my teacher said, he seems to try out new ways of using that old arpeggio formula, just like Debussy did in his arpeggio etude. At the same time, however, he specifies sempre leggiero for the left hand. So far, I've played this rather dryly, with almost no pedal. It works in its own way, but yes, the sweeping feeling is lost. By the way, I am not sure about your sostenuto remark? The very opening measures and closing measures are "Rubato" of course - but once the left hand pattern comes in and accelerates, Tempo guisto at 100 on the dotted quarter note is what Bartok asks for - the "molto sostenuto" is clearly just for the bars accelerating into Tempo guisto. Now, I don't necessarily play it at exacly 100...Generally speaking, I take Bartok's tempo indications somewhat slower in this set. I'll upload the rest of it at some point...

Yes, go and practice some Bartok! I want to learn the remaining concerti I haven't played (only performed the 3rd so far), but just looking at the score of the 2nd makes me tired. However, I know some very well-known pianists who say that even something like the 2nd concerto felt "easy" comparing with performing the op. 18, heh.

Edited by fnork (09/09/12 07:08 AM)

#1956377 - 09/09/12 12:25 PM Re: Bartok - Etude op. 18 nr 3 [Re: fnork]
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Actually, having spent plenty of time today and yesterday with slow practicing, something I've hardly done with this piece at all until now, made me realize how right you are regarding the sweeping left hand and the slurrings/phrase indications. Only after laborious (but rarely tedious) slow practicing do certain aspects of this piece come up to the surface - issues with voicing, timing of crescendi/diminuendi and so on. And like Jerome Lowenthal says - whenever a composer writes "sempre", the one thing they NEVER mean by that is "always". "Sempre leggiero" as a basic touch, sure, but well phrased and paced. And at times more legato-like. This is a funny opus, it just grows on me and every practicing session is interesting!

#1956600 - 09/09/12 08:18 PM Re: Bartok - Etude op. 18 nr 3 [Re: fnork]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

That's a pretty neat etude! Considering when it probably was written, it prophesies the sense of boogie-woogie jazz. I've recently ben working on a piece called "Fire Waltz -- Hommage to Bartok", one of the piano "etudes" of contemporary composer Augusta Read Thomas. I never knew what the allusion was until I heard this piece, and it quite clearly evokes the spirit of Etude 18-3 -- a kind of free-form jazz.

Incidentally, I have the score for 18-1 ( never knew that until you posted 18-3) -- is that worth working on?

#1956607 - 09/09/12 08:24 PM Re: Bartok - Etude op. 18 nr 3 [Re: Tim Adrianson]
ScriabinAddict Offline

Originally Posted By: Tim Adrianson
Incidentally, I have the score for 18-1 ( never knew that until you posted 18-3) -- is that worth working on?

Absolutely! But be warned, it's fiendishly difficult (As are the other Bartok Etudes).

#1956614 - 09/09/12 08:37 PM Re: Bartok - Etude op. 18 nr 3 [Re: fnork]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Op. 18 is probably the most difficult of Bartok's solo works (if not the most difficult.) Sonata and Out of Doors are probably in second place along with the Dance Suite transcription, with the Op. 14 Suite and Improvisations coming in a bit after.

All of it is masterful music, and the "easier" works are delightful as well.

Just heard one of my former teachers play a transcription of the Concerto for Orchestra a few months ago, too. Truly amazing music. (Based on the Sandor transcription but with much of his own material as well.)
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1956780 - 09/10/12 06:22 AM Re: Bartok - Etude op. 18 nr 3 [Re: fnork]
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The dance suite is probably very challenging indeed, for some reason a lot of pianists I know are playing this lately. Not having heard any great performances of it so far, I keep thinking it's so much less interesting than the orchestral version. I'm VERY curious about the Concerto for Orchestra however! As far as I know though, Sandor just edited it and made a few minor changes (in "unplayable" passages and so on). As far as I recall, the history of the transcription is that it was meant to be choreographed, so there was a need for an orchestral reduction - same as with La Valse.

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
has anyone tried the Focal alpha 50s or 65s for monitoring?
by dire tonic
09/30/14 11:54 AM
2015 Concerto Competition "Theodor Leschetizky" NY
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:49 AM
Valletta International Piano Competition, Velletta, Malta
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:45 AM
Cleveland International Piano Competition
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:42 AM
International Junior Piano Competition & Festival
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:35 AM
Who's Online
144 registered (ando, AndresD, ajames, accordeur, 40 invisible), 1560 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76376 Members
42 Forums
157889 Topics
2318832 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission