2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, FredrikNilsen, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,147 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1944083 08/16/12 08:09 PM
L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
I have the interview portion of my pedagogy accreditation exam tomorrow morning (written was last week). Please send me your good-piano-teacher vibes!

I have learned so much from this forum -- what to do and what NOT to do -- and am so grateful for a community of teachers to share ideas with. Thanks PW teachers!!

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Hi LadyChen,
I'm sending good vibes your way. smile

It would be interesting to hear about your experience with the interview. So I hope you post an update.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I've been on break for a couple of weeks, and am just now catching up. I hope your exam went well. Let us know.

John

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Well.. I'm not really sure how it went -- it was a little bit bizarre, to be honest.

The RCM pedagogy program is split into three different certificates -- elementary pedagogy (method books to grade 2), intermediate (gr 3-6) and advanced (gr 7-10) and each cert has two exams, a written and viva voce (combination of interview and practical). I've already completed the elementary and intermediate certificates, and, my teacher brought in a colleague of hers who is also an examiner for a lesson last week and she went through my teaching repertoire with me and gave me ideas of what I could expect to be asked. So I felt very prepared walking into this exam. And left totally confused!

We spent the first half of the exam discussing METHOD BOOKS, which was thoroughly covered in the elementary pedagogy certificate, so that was a bit odd. It also threw me a bit off when the examiner asked me some pros and cons of a certain method and then told me she disagreed with my opinions. Then she asked a vague question about how to teach technique, and I asked, "Do you mean, at the advanced level?" (since it was supposed to be the advanced pedagogy exam) and she said no, she wanted to know how I introduced technique to beginners. At around the 40 minute mark she finally asked me to play some pieces from my teaching repertoire list and then asked questions specific to teaching that repertoire, which was more what I expected, but we only had 5-10 minutes left at that point.

I never thought I would be thinking PUL-EEEEZE ask me about teaching legato thirds, or impressionistic music, or octave and 4-note chord technique for students with small hands!! but I was!

I was able to answer most of the questions confidently, since I'm teaching all beginners now anyways, but I feel a bit disappointed that I wasn't asked about the material that I've been studying for the last year. I'm also very nervous that she didn't seem to agree with half of what I said.. yikes.

This seems to be the main problem with the exam system though -- if you get an examiner who decides they don't like you, you're pretty much screwed. Especially at this level when you're being marked on very subjective elements.

So I really don't know what to expect for my mark -- the waiting is going to kill me!

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
That sounds rather ominous. Hopefully, she was just putting you to the test. I might have been tempted to ask her why she was asking me about beginning pedagogy when the exam was for advanced. It may have been a foundational question just to confirm your overall knowledge.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Lady Chen,
Thanks for sharing the details of your experience. I'm disappointed that it wasn't a positive experience. And I'm wondering about all the elementary quizzing taking up your exam time. Surely they know you already earned the first 2 certificates.

I hope you let us know the exam results when you get them.

J
J
Lady Chen,

Is it possible that the examiner was confused about which exam you were taking? Only reason I can think of . . . sick

PianoPerfection
Teacher, performer, technician
Westchester County, NY
L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
I guess I was panicking over nothing -- got an 82. I'm very relieved and its a great way to start the fall teaching season.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on your exam result!
It seems like you had to wait a long time; it must have been nerve wracking.

Learner
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
[Linked Image]

Well done, Lady Chen!

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Way to go!
By the day, did you get a chance to play a street piano in Toronto?

Cheers

L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Haha no, I never came across one. I didn't go deliberately looking though. Saw a show in Stratford featuring a few old classmates, so that was nice.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission