Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1957043 - 09/10/12 05:06 PM CS9 and Antonfranz: a sad end for a too short story.
antonfranz Offline

Loc: Italy
Hi there!
I resisted so far to hassle and bore you with my story, but finding again the CS9 in recent threads, has made me surrender and post this story.
Unfortunately I am not a happy owner of a Kawai CS9 any longer.
With great sorrow and really reluctantly I have accepted the Thomann proposal for full refund after an unsatisfactory maintenance under warranty on the keyboard of my piano.
Actually, a few weeks after I got it my CS9 had a first failure, a minor one: the auto –power switch-off function stopped working. I live in Sicily and there seems to be no Kawai official technical support available in my area. The only way to get it fixed was to ship the CS9 back to Germany to Thomann (at their expense). Considering it was a minor fault which wasn’t affecting the real performance of the instrument, I judged that solution disproportionate - altough it might have solved the issue - and therefore I decided to keep it unrepaired. After all it was my favourite piano for its beautiful sound and keyboard action.
In the following weeks, I noticed a progressive worsening of the unevenness of the gaps between the keys, and altough it had appeared evident soon after unpacking, it didn't bother me as long as functioning was not compromised.
Unfortunately, a few weeks down the road, it became very marked all along the keyboard. Then the central C key started to rub, to scratch against the preceding B key, often producing an undesirable click noise, especially during scales. In fact, this key and many others showed an undesirable and progressive lateral sliding movement towards contiguous keys, making them rub one against the other. I sent them some pictures (you can see here a few of them).

The Thomann Customer Care Service promptly suggested me to ship the piano back for repair, at their expense.
I was reluctant to ship my beautiful instrument back to Germany, 1850km up northern, concerned about a possible damage due to transportation. I also asked Kawai Europe the indication of a Kawai Qualified and Approved Technician in my area , telling them that I was even prepared to pay on my own the repair. No way. No Kawai assistance available in my area. I finally had to send it back to Thomann for repair under warranty.
Weeks later Thomann announced me that my CS9 was ready to return back home to me. I was so happy.
Yet I noticed that the very short intervention report (seven words: unit checked, unit repaired - Einschaltknopf neu justiert) only mentioned the auto-power switch-off repair. I therefore asked the Customer Care Service to know more about the keyboard issue, before authorizing them to ship it back.
I had to ask more then once for details of keyboard repair, before I got the following answer : " All the problems have been rectified and the unit is in working condition".
I was not satisfied at all by this replay.
What does it really mean “the unit is in working condition"?.
I asked again and again but they never answered the following simple and reasonable questions :
1-Unevenness of the gaps between the keys,
-Has this fault been eliminated ? -Did you replace the whole keyboard or did you only adjusted their positioning or/and what else? Please answer this question.[/b]
2) [b]central C key has started to rub
, to scratch against the preceding B key,often producing an undesirable click noise.:
- Has this fault been eliminated ? -Did you replace the whole keyboard or did you only adjusted their positioning or/and what else? Please answer this question.
3) the above mentioned keys and many others show an undesirable lateral sliding movement towards contiguous keys, making them rub one against the other -Has this fault been eliminated ? -Did you replace the whole keyboard or did you only adjusted their positioning or/and what else? Please answer this question.

I got no answer whatsoever.I also informed Kawai Europe of the problems in the keyboard and asked to get informed through them about the ‘wellness’ of my CS9 in repair by Thomann.
Hans-Jurgen Kurth, Assistant Product Manager for Kawai Europe , e-mailed me that a Kawai technician had a phone call with Thomann technicians and that “everything seemed to be fine”. Nothing more detailed than that. Yet, I felt relieved.

A few days later, to further confuse the issue, I surprisingly received the following e-mail from Thomann:
Hello,
We are still discussing the problem of the piano with the Kawai service.
A technician will come to our warehouse and inspect the instrument.
We will let you know what they will the results of the inspection.-
Best regards
Thomann Service Customer Care

I was astonished……. They were still “discussing the problem with kawai service”….
- Why so if “everything seemed to be fine”??
- Didn’t they announced me twenty days before that they were ready to ship the CS9 repaired back to me?
- Didn’t they write already" All the problems have been rectified and the unit is in working condition".?
- Didn’t they tell the Kawai Europe technician by phone (according to Mr. Hans-Jurgen Kurth, Assistant Product Manager for Kawai Europe), that everything was fine?
What on earth were they further discussing about with Kawai service?
Why didn’t they aswer my simple and reasonable questions about the intervention?
In the end, I have never known any detail of the intervention and none of my questions has never been answered. Why?
The story, my dear patient forum mates and bored readers, is near to its sad conclusion.
In fact, instead of delucidations, I finally got this e-mail :
Hello,
We had a Kawai representative to our shop to inspect the keys again.
He said the issue is normal and is not considered a defect.He refused to make any repairs on the keys.
They explained us that the keys are made of wood and they are sensitive to the humidity levels in the room.
In this conditions we can offer you a full refund for the piano or we can send it back to you.
Please let us know what you decide.If you have any comment to the Kawai expertise , please send it to us in an email and we will send it directly to Kawai.
Best regards
Thomann Service Customer Care

I was so confused and tired (as most of you probably are now).
I was really about to accept my CS9 back despite the lack of details and assurances about the real good repair of the keyboard issues, but I felt this last e-mail as an admission of a recurrent problem still present ahead in the future.
I couldn’t even imagine the nightmare of shipping the unit back and forth to have it fixed again and again!
At this point I accepted the full refund.
No way to fully understand what was really behind those unexplained questions and behind the statement that " All the problems have been rectified and the unit is in working condition" !! .??? .
However I have to acknowledge that my interlocutor at Thomann Customer Care Service (whose name is not reported here for privacy) was supportive and collaborative throughout.
However the efficacy of the thecnical assistance provided by the Tech. Dpt. is obviously a different story, at least in this specific occasion.
I got the impression that the offer for full refund was a clear proof of their honest awereness that the keyboard issue was either partially unfixed and /or bound to show up again and again despite any maintenance.

It seems to me that the presence of Kawai Europe in this episode has been as weak and lacking of substantial efficacy either in communication and in problem-solving as I had never imagined.

The issue of gap unevennes and clicking keys in Kaway keyboards has been reported in different models, and it seems to be so far still unresolved.
A real problem of quality control in Kawai manifacturing in Indonesia is probably the root of it all.
Now I own a Yamaha CLP 480 PE, the one I intended to buy before trying Kawai CS9 and falling in love with it.
I purchased my CLP 480 from a local dealer, after the assurance of technical assistance availability and directly dispatchable to my home.

I am happy with it so far……….. still I can’t forget my first love. I somewhat regret to have given up.
I wish owners of cs9 in this forum will be luckier than me……..
Cheers,
Antonfranz.

Edited by antonfranz (09/11/12 10:34 AM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1957075 - 09/10/12 05:54 PM Re: CS9 and Antonfranz: a sad end for a too short (!) story.
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
I'm obviously disappointed to read of your unfortunate story.

Gaps between C-D keys were an issue in the past, however I believe this problem has long since been resolved. It is true that there is some lateral movement of the keys, which allows one key to be pushed far left and the other far right, thus accentuating the gap, however this is can also be true for an acoustic piano keyboard.

While regrettable, I can fully understand your motivation for accepting the refund and purchasing the Yamaha. The CLP-480PE is a fantastic instrument, and I'm sure it will bring you many years of musical enjoyment.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1957087 - 09/10/12 06:11 PM Re: CS9 and Antonfranz: a sad end for a too short (!) story. [Re: Kawai James]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
Gaps between C-D keys were an issue in the past, however I believe this problem has long since been resolved. It is true that there is some lateral movement of the keys, which allows one key to be pushed far left and the other far right, thus accentuating the gap, however this is can also be true for an acoustic piano keyboard.

@James,

Sure do hope that the new Kawai CA95's will not have any of the issues as noted in the original poster's thread, as I had thought Kawai had already resolved them, previously?

#1957094 - 09/10/12 06:27 PM Re: CS9 and Antonfranz: a sad end for a too short (!) story.
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
The C-D key spacing issues that affected some 'RM3 Grand' actions have been resolved.

The new 'Grand Feel' action uses a different construction, and the CA95/CA65 models I have played that feature this action have all had very consistent key spacing.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1957097 - 09/10/12 06:30 PM Re: CS9 and Antonfranz: a sad end for a too short (!) story. [Re: Kawai James]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

James,

Okay, thanks for that info...

#1957248 - 09/11/12 02:28 AM Re: CS9 and Antonfranz: a sad end for a too short (!) story.
stephane__ Offline

Loc: paris, france
thanks so much for posting your experience antonfranz.
I'm wondering if this piano especially got poor quality control or every RM3 keyboards manufactured, but the fact kawai wouldn't change it for another one shows they are well aware of the issue though, not comforting at all...
this is totally unacceptable for an instrument at this price and quite crazy for a few weeks use ! looks like the piano went through tenth of years...

hope you enjoy your new keyboard, I guess you get satisfaction out of any good keyboard like this once you get used to it so you made the best move I think.

#1957254 - 09/11/12 02:54 AM Re: CS9 and Antonfranz: a sad end for a too short (!) story.
Virgo Cluster Offline

Loc: U.K.
My new one seems to be fine so far. There is a tiny bit of lateral movement, but not beyond what you would expect. Perhaps the cold British summer helps!

#1957344 - 09/11/12 09:18 AM Re: CS9 and Antonfranz: a sad end for a too short (!) story. [Re: stephane__]
antonfranz Offline

@ stephane
Hi,Stephane,
Thank you for your kind words and wishes.
I agree with your thinking about the Kawai keyboard issue. Yet I really hope a story like mine woudn't happen to any cS9 owner any more. It has been so sad and stressing indeed!
My best wishes for your choice. Enjoiy your passion for music on our common white and black beloved creture.
Je te remercie ancore de tout mon coeur pour tes voeux,
Antonfranz

#1957350 - 09/11/12 09:31 AM Re: CS9 and Antonfranz: a sad end for a too short (!) story. [Re: Virgo Cluster]
antonfranz Offline

@ Virgo Cluster
Hi!
I'm sure Brithish summer can help!
Yet I am not sure at all that my CS9 keyboard issue is in any way in relation with Sicilian winter, the season of my sad story. I am joking, off course, just to play down with the issue!
Best wishhes and enjoy your beautiful piano,
Antonfranz

#1957351 - 09/11/12 09:33 AM Re: CS9 and Antonfranz: a sad end for a too short (!) story.
ando Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I wish we had just started a new thread when it was known that this one had a problem. It's really annoying navigating to it this way!

#1957354 - 09/11/12 09:40 AM Re: CS9 and Antonfranz: a sad end for a too short (!) story. [Re: ando]
antonfranz Offline

@ ando
Yes, it really is.
I would have expected some help from moderator or someone else in charge or able to do. Only Kawai James has so far helped us.
I apologize for the inconvenience,
Antonfranz

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
145 registered (36251, accordeur, Abby Pianoman, Alexander Borro, 50 invisible), 1407 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157250 Topics
2309621 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
kitchen studio for summer just gone
by toddy
09/02/14 08:41 PM
Aebersold Play-Alongs
by EP
09/02/14 06:39 PM
Plan on playing this Thursday night
by Visalia
09/02/14 06:16 PM
New Kawai DP & RH3 action (CN35 & CN25)
by Northerner
09/02/14 04:50 PM
Kawai MP11 firmware v1.07
by DilEcosse
09/02/14 04:24 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission