2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 12 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Para Otras
For his age, he is still an adult. I can't think of one adult who wouldn't be offended by a paper saying: "You can't do this this and this or lessons will be stopped." I just think speaking to him about this would be a better alternative.

Why would anyone take a student like this in the first place? Forget personalizing a studio contract. Just dump the guy.

Sounds like this adult student will bring nothing but grief and headache.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
EZP, extreme doesn't even begin to describe it. It looks like you have to tell him things that should be common sense and good manners.

If he talks about these things during lessons, then all he does is ruin his own lesson. I hope you end the lesson when time is up and have him leave rather than taking up your time afterward. What happens outside lessons eats up your private time. Maybe you should restrict communication to only e-mails, because you can read these any time you want. The telephone and texting both demand you respond at the time he contacts you. Why not cut these out immediately since he is misusing them.

So he's left with e-mail messages. Content should be restricted to emergencies like if he can't make it to a lesson, or if you welcome questions about assignments and music things you are teaching. Maybe you want to say that e-mails with non-pertinent (personal) information will be binned unread.

It is not impolite not to respond.

Originally Posted by EZP
Text message is for communication that need response less than 30 minutes, for example, if he is in the piano bookstore now and he is wonder if he can get a book name XYZ.

Is even that necessary? He can ask you about the book at his next lesson, during his lesson time, or e-mail you about it later. If you were his personal available consultant then you should be charging for your time between lessons. There are actually jobs like that.

After lesson time, I feel that he should know what kind of information should present or not.

If you don't respond, then he can't present any information.

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by keystring
After lesson time, I feel that he should know what kind of information should present or not.

After three Pages of rhetoric, are we not back to this?
Originally Posted by LoPresti
LoPresti's Rule #1: Nip eMail communication in the bud!

In music, everything one does correctly helps everything else.
P
P
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
For his age, he is still an adult. I can't think of one adult who wouldn't be offended by a paper saying: "You can't do this this and this or lessons will be stopped." I just think speaking to him about this would be a better alternative.

Why would anyone take a student like this in the first place? Forget personalizing a studio contract. Just dump the guy.

Sounds like this adult student will bring nothing but grief and headache.
The more you add ezpiano, the more I agree with AZNpiano.

There is a difference between serious and... whatever this may be. You may be better off without him.

Here is the difference, Ed:

You made a general statement about the nature of the kind of behaviour that you surmised e-mails engender, and sought to create a one-size-fits-all rule for all teachers and all occasions at all times. You have a predisposed antipathy to the electronic medium, and tend to fit your solutions to those predispositions.

I asked for more information and after getting a picture that was clear enough for me, proposed solutions to fit the existing situation.

You will notice that I also proposed that communication occur exclusively in the studio during lesson times (the "during" is important), and by e-mail. You would have cut out the e-mail. In this situation both the telephone and texting should be cut out, because both of these media hand control of time use to the student.

** I excluded the self-quote because that post context of the original post gives meaning to the quoted part.

Last edited by keystring; 09/11/12 03:11 PM.
Originally Posted by keystring

LoPresti's Rule #1: Nip eMailcommunication in the bud!

I suggested that outside studio, e-mail be the ONLY form of communication, and that both telephone and texting be done away with.

Did you miss that part when you read my post? Did you read my reasoning? Or were you looking for parts of my advice that might match yours? I hope you're not skimming content, because some of us put a lot of time into our posts. That includes research before posting, and putting together thoughts afterward.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
My reaction to this thread: it has split into at least three different themes:

1) Email and OTHER forms of communication between teachers and students who are mentally/emotionally unbalanced.
2) The role of email in communication between students and teachers, in general.
3) How different teachers handle communication with students outside lessons.

“2” and “3” may or may not be the same subject/topic.

My rule: cut off all forms of communication with mentally unbalanced people unless you are a psychiatrist.

I do not give my email address out to people I do not trust. And if someone I thought I could trust turns out to be a problem, I simply block that sender.

Problem solved. laugh

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
The more you add ezpiano, the more I agree with AZNpiano.

You know what they say about great minds...

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
B
bzpiano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Thank you for all of your participate in this topic.
My adult student has sign the policy and agree to follow all the requirements that I stated include piano education progress and how to interact with me after lesson. He is doing his best and I stated in policy very clear about it. I think he is really just need some help and I am happy that I decide to give him a chance of excel in piano without worry about his interaction. He has very specific guideline to follow and he is okay with it.

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Well done, ez. No need to fire a student over this clumsiness of manners. He'll learn.

Last edited by Peter K. Mose; 09/17/12 07:52 PM.
T
T
Originally Posted by ezpiano.org
I personally like email a lot to communicate with students or with parents. Here is some benefit of email:
1. I can work on it only at the time I like, not in the middle of shopping, cleaning house or teaching
2. I can have some time to think about how to response to concerns or request of students or parents instead of being put on the spot.
3. I can look at my google calendar side by side when schedule a rescheduling so that I won’t make mistakes. If student calls me and I happen not have my calendar with me, I might remember the wrong time or dates.
4. I can keep a record of what has been told to parents in black and white in case of miscommunication happen.

+2

Private piano teacher since 2003
Member:
ASME (Australian Society for Music Education),
ANZCA (Australian and New Zealand Cultural Arts),
KMEIA (Kodály Music Education Institute of Australia).
B
bzpiano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! I like to thank Piano World Forum and all the participants here in helping me sort through some thinking over this year, 2012.
My adult student turn out following my rules about the interaction, and he is my best adult student so far. He always come with practice, complete his theory homework and enthusiasm to learn.
Unfortunately he recently lost his job of 22 years this month (can you believe that they lay off people at this holiday seasons?) and can no longer afford paying for piano lesson.
Since he is such a good student, I am offering him one month of free lesson and hope that he can find something new very soon (in less than one month)
Just an update.

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by ezpiano.org

Since he is such a good student, I am offering him one month of free lesson and hope that he can find something new very soon (in less than one month)

That's very thoughtful and generous of you, ez. Bravo!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission