2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (7sheji, bcalvanese, Aylin, Barly, brdwyguy, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 5 invisible), 1,351 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
If Gutierrez picked a pianist to substitute him, I am quite sure he knew well of the pianist capability. I'd say he knows more about piano playing that most in this forum.

L
L
"If Gutierrez picked a pianist to substitute him, I am quite sure he knew well of the pianist capability. I'd say he knows more about piano playing than most in this forum." -

Gutierrez gave us a really relaxed, informal but marvellous rendition of the Tchaikovsky #1 in the 1970s on live UK TV - he was great, he played with such conviction, nobody knew who he was then, and my concert pianist-trained wife at that time described him as "one of the best she'd ever seen" - & she knew, she was taught by Dennis Matthews and was a junior exhibitioner (at 12) at his favoured London College smile

I agree he has a reputation to uphold and that most likely he wouldn't want just anyone planted in front of "his" audience !

S
S
Originally posted by BruceD:
Time will, as it always does, attenuate the rash judgments of youth.
Many of the, so to say, older people liking Valentina will be pleased to know that they once again (due to their 'rash' judgements much alike mine) are in their youth. So I guess some people never grow up?

"- To talk about music is very difficult, what music does to one, you know..." - Martha Argerich
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
It might be time for this thread to close.

L
L
I'm sure that after a few more pages of this discussion, we will all come to share the same opinion concerning Valentina Lisista. I find that this is usually what happens.

I
I
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
There are many reasons why classical music appeals to a small (and increasingly smaller, alas) group of people. I can't quite escape the feeling that one of those reasons is the hypercritical cannibalism ( wink ) often on display on forums like this. It makes classical music seem like elitist entertainment, and its adherents like snobs for whom nothing is quite good enough.

If I'm reading Sam correctly, that is what seems implied in his gentle slap on the collective wrist.
What he said. Classical music's an interpretive art folks; if you don't like one performer's version listen to somebody elses. Carping about whether so and so's pedaling is historically authentic or whether broken chords are correct for people whose hands are too small is IMHO an utter waste of time.......

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by LisztAddict:
If Gutierrez picked a pianist to substitute him, I am quite sure he knew well of the pianist capability. I'd say he knows more about piano playing that most in this forum.
He did not choose the substitute, our music director did, who is good friends with Lisitsa (so it seems).

And even if he DOES like her, music is subjective. And, so far, I'm not a fan.

So sue me.

The clown is watching you.
M
M

Last edited by Kreisler; 09/04/12 07:49 PM. Reason: garbage deleted
P
P

Last edited by Kreisler; 09/04/12 07:49 PM. Reason: deleted quote and commentary on the garbage i just deleted
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
i sort of agree, except i'm not angry about it. i couldn't care less! in my experience listening to her, she plays the chopin etudes flawlessly. when it comes to the chopin etudes, i dont think her musicality stands out, but i don't think she lacks musicality while playing them.. so i'll give her that. on the other hand, her interpretation of the e-flat chopin nocturne is absolutely horrible in my opinion. that's just my taste though.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
For a moment you had me there. I thought Mr. Kitty had finally returned and was going to post his performance of the Chopin etudes that he promised us. I don't have any objection to a Valentina Lisista thread - all important topics get recycled here on the Forum many times over. What's disturbing is the ghostly presence of so many Forum figures from the past who have traveled on to other pastures. It's rather jarring and spooky at the same time, until I pay attention to the dates of their posts. Nor do I know what * * * means or why so many of these people have been brought back to life.

Fazioli 228.
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
She plays some things well, but I disagree with many of her interpretations.

RE the Rach2 thing - the important thing is to play those opening chords with increasing intensity. Breaking, rolling, or just playing the chords straight isn't a big issue.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Numerian
Nor do I know what * * * means or why so many of these people have been brought back to life.

I don't know what * * * means either, but it may mean something entirely different than ***, to which you were referring. (sorry, my humour is off tonight)

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Numerian
For a moment you had me there. I thought Mr. Kitty had finally returned and was going to post his performance of the Chopin etudes that he promised us.

Didn't he did post a video of Chopin 10/1 playing in his pajamas?

I rather liked the guy, shortly before he departed the board he asked for my email address and suggested we might meet up in Scotland, but I never heard anything after that.

Reading old threads can be interesting. I don't take back anything I posted above, but it was certainly nice to be reminded of Bassio. We PM'd quite a bit, talked about all kinds of stuff, and I am sorry he is no longer active.

Jason
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Arghhh

I don't know what * * * means either...

Quite simply '* * *' is in place of what the moderator deleted. I did see MarioToroOfficial's post before it was deleted, and it was nothing more than an angry and immature rant, the stuff you see all the time on Facebook.

Jason
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
old threads are old. This should be closed and the reviver temp banned smokin

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mr_Kitty
lol she breaks the opening chords of rach 2.
don't DO that.... yes. rachmaninoff did it ONCE. that doesn't mean anyone else can;)if your hands are too small, play another piece! lol the rest of the concerto wasn't great either
why do so many famous pianists not deserve their fame?

That's so ignorant. Rachmaninoff did it in the ONE recording he made. He could reach it, so why do it? Partly to show that it's not a crime and because it adds different expression. "play another piece"... HAHA yeah because rach 2 is the only piece with big chords. Give me a break. It's just so ridiculous, I don't even know what to say except laugh..

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Damn I didn't notice the thread was so old. Still, hard to believe such idiots sometimes.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Damn I didn't notice the thread was so old.

Hah! I was wondering when you were going to spot that. laugh

Jason
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Damn I didn't notice the thread was so old.

Hah! I was wondering when you were going to spot that. laugh

Some of us are such PW "junkies" (nerds?) that if we - well, I, at any rate - see a thread with two, three or four pages - or even 20 or 25 posts that wasn't there the last time I was on the site a few hours ago, I immediately check the dates. Sure enough, it's an old one, revived.

Not that, per se, there's anything wrong with reviving old threads. Quite often, however, the person who revives an old thread responds to a question that was asked by a person who has long disappeared from the forum and the response seems somewhat irrelevant.

One does wonder, though, in some cases that if the person reviving a thread that is four years old had to go back into the archives to find it, why s/he wouldn't realise that the horse is already dead.

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission