Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1310692 - 11/22/09 10:21 PM Beethoven Sonata 07 Op.10 No3: D:2nd Mt:Largo e mesto/ help
)\/(!&\/3| Offline

Loc: Puerto Rico (Island)
Hi first of all im new here, and my doubt is at what tempo I should play this one?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1310694 - 11/22/09 10:26 PM Re: Beethoven Sonata 07 Op.10 No3: D:2nd Mt:Largo e mesto/ help [Re: )\/(!&\/3|]
david_a Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Well, "largo e mesto" means slow and sad. Is that good enough? Or what did you mean?

#1310699 - 11/22/09 10:34 PM Re: Beethoven Sonata 07 Op.10 No3: D:2nd Mt:Largo e mesto/ help [Re: david_a]
)\/(!&\/3| Offline

Sad that was what i didn't understand before, thanx Beethoven didnt use pedal in this one right> or at least my copies dont have any pedals

#1310716 - 11/22/09 11:28 PM Re: Beethoven Sonata 07 Op.10 No3: D:2nd Mt:Largo e mesto/ help [Re: )\/(!&\/3|]
david_a Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I don't know exactly what Beethoven marked, because I don't have my good copy of the Beethoven sonatas next to me - but I think it would be a big mistake to say "no pedal allowed" in this movement. You will probably need to use the pedal quite a bit.

#1310761 - 11/23/09 01:55 AM Re: Beethoven Sonata 07 Op.10 No3: D:2nd Mt:Largo e mesto/ help [Re: david_a]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
What edition of this Sonata are you using?

Beethoven rarely indicated use of pedal in his Sonatas, but it would be a mistake to assume that, because there are no pedal indications in your edition, you should not use the pedal. Use of the pedal is dependent upon a certain knowledge of the style of music and what is appropriate to that style and what is not. Certainly, in this Sonata I would use the damper pedal - judiciously.

Regards,

#1310776 - 11/23/09 04:27 AM Re: Beethoven Sonata 07 Op.10 No3: D:2nd Mt:Largo e mesto/ h [Re: BruceD]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Beethoven sonata Opus 10-3 ... Largo e mesto (composed at age of 29)

The young chappie from Puerto Rica is obviously a Beethoven-fan ... judging by the avatar ... no wonder the word "mesto" (sad) drew a blank ... on the island mesto is a "large prickly oak" (thus spoketh Wikipedia!!).

But the doleful d minor key should give a clue to the lachrymose nature of the 2nd movement ... my reference book poetically talks of the Largo e mesto as "surcharged with passionate grief"... and, dedicated to Countesse Browne, there’s got to be some juicy story
hidden amongst the woodwork.

Only when you get into the sonata, brimming with lacy 32nd-notes, does one realize that the tempo is decidedly slow (Largo) ... the simplicity of the 6/8 notes to the opening measures might easily have been mistakenly taken at too quick a pace ... however, once the deep heartache of the movement carries the day, the true spread of notes needs the sustaining pedal ... the score could better have been presented in terms of quarter-notes instead of eighth-notes to match the broad Largo tempo.

#1310876 - 11/23/09 11:10 AM Re: Beethoven Sonata 07 Op.10 No3: D:2nd Mt:Largo e mesto/ h [Re: btb]
)\/(!&\/3| Offline

I believe that im using the original copy or at least where i find it says that is the original one. And yes you can tell that im Beethoven fan but I want to make it sound you as better as my mind let me do it, thats why im asking about the pedals

#1446824 - 05/30/10 07:06 PM Re: Beethoven Sonata 07 Op.10 No3: D:2nd Mt:Largo e mesto/ h [Re: )\/(!&\/3|]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
Most of B's slow movements require a steady tempo, just to keep things going, or not, this movement is not an exeption, not only to that non-existing rule, but to his own standards, but it's ptobabely the deepest, most heartfelt piece he wrote up to then, a cry from, well, who knows? The most important issue is, methinks, to keep the pulse going, especially in the rests, count well, and slowly, keep a big tone for the melodic line, and breathe, I mean physically!, with the music, sing the lines, humm the accompaniments, know where the harmony changes, and most importantly of all: know how to start the next movement, that's maybe the greatest problem of this wonderful sonata! Good luck

Chopin op.28/20/31/39/54

#1446977 - 05/30/10 10:51 PM Re: Beethoven Sonata 07 Op.10 No3: D:2nd Mt:Largo e mesto/ h [Re: dolce sfogato]
kmd11 Offline

Loc: Providence, RI / Manhattan Bea...
Valentina Lisitsa has a killer interpretation of op.10 no.3 on YouTube you should check it out. She takes some liberties but pulls it off very well. her second movement is fairly close to the score if i remember right

My Recodrings

#1446992 - 05/30/10 11:29 PM Re: Beethoven Sonata 07 Op.10 No3: D:2nd Mt:Largo e mesto/ h [Re: kmd11]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
I don't see anything that can't be managed by the fingers. Of course use the pedal for the big chunky legato chords in the recap, but I don't see any need for it in the page above. I remember playing the Op. 28 (Pastorale) slow movement with no pedal whatsoever for a jury, and it turned out just fine.

#1446993 - 05/30/10 11:32 PM Re: Beethoven Sonata 07 Op.10 No3: D:2nd Mt:Largo e mesto/ help [Re: )\/(!&\/3|]
Mark_C Offline

Loc: New York
I usually think that whatever tempo someone is playing, they'd do well to try it still slower.

Even when it seems like maybe it's too slow.
Often (IMO) the problem is that it's not slow enough for it to have the power that a really really slow tempo can give it.

Although it might seem perverse, sometimes that can happen -- something seems to be too slow because it's not slow enough.

#1447082 - 05/31/10 02:45 AM Re: Beethoven Sonata 07 Op.10 No3: D:2nd Mt:Largo e mesto/ help [Re: Mark_C]
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Richard Goode does a gorgeous interpretation of this movement .

#1957479 - 09/11/12 02:41 PM Re: Beethoven Sonata 07 Op.10 No3: D:2nd Mt:Largo e mesto/ h [Re: btb]
pianoloverus Offline

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: btb
Beethoven sonata Opus 10-3 ... Largo e mesto (composed at age of 29)

The young chappie from Puerto Rica is obviously a Beethoven-fan ... judging by the avatar ... no wonder the word "mesto" (sad) drew a blank ... on the island mesto is a "large prickly oak" (thus spoketh Wikipedia!!).

But the doleful d minor key should give a clue to the lachrymose nature of the 2nd movement ... my reference book poetically talks of the Largo e mesto as "surcharged with passionate grief"... and, dedicated to Countesse Browne, there’s got to be some juicy story
hidden amongst the woodwork.

Only when you get into the sonata, brimming with lacy 32nd-notes, does one realize that the tempo is decidedly slow (Largo) ... the simplicity of the 6/8 notes to the opening measures might easily have been mistakenly taken at too quick a pace ... however, once the deep heartache of the movement carries the day, the true spread of notes needs the sustaining pedal ... the score could better have been presented in terms of quarter-notes instead of eighth-notes to match the broad Largo tempo.
Sounds like you are chanelling James Huneker.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
83 registered (36251, Beemer, AmyHsu, anotherscott, Al LaPorte, 22 invisible), 1215 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153538 Topics
2250128 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
2014 Bradshaw and Buono Piano Competition
by hsheck
04/18/14 01:21 AM
What is the strangest thing you have found inside a piano?
by That Tooner
04/17/14 11:18 PM
Kawai vs Ritmuller
by cromax
04/17/14 11:08 PM
Considering going into debt for a Steinway grand
by joonsang
04/17/14 10:38 PM
Best Glue for Damper Pads
by JMichaelWilson
04/17/14 10:07 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission