Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1957586 - 09/11/12 06:50 PM New composition: Prelude
Ben Crosland Offline

Loc: Worcester, UK
A new piece, and my first recording with Pianoteq4 Stage - having got totally fed up messing about with the dynamics in Ivory 2 trying to avoid velocity crossovers, I decided to pull the trigger on this today.

If subsequent tweaks reveal significantly better playability, I might do a retake, but hopefully this is OK for critique.

Hope you enjoy it - feedback welcome smile

http://soundcloud.com/ben-crosland/prelude

Cool Beans!

Easy Christmas Jazz

YouTube channel

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1958682 - 09/14/12 04:16 AM Re: New composition: Prelude [Re: Ben Crosland]
sedonepix II Offline

Loc: Prague
Hello Ben Crosland!
I listened your composition several times during yesterday evening: a very interesting composition in my opinion, it was nice to listen the "transitions"! I very enjoyed (sorry, I can not comment this composition for any constructive side, since I am not a theorist in music). But I got much pleasure.

Greetings from Prague!

#1958852 - 09/14/12 01:19 PM Re: New composition: Prelude [Re: Ben Crosland]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

My general reactions are that

1 There is a beautiful singing line throughout, but
2 I really want a "B" section, then a return to the "A" material, to heighten the impact of the singing line -- or,
3 if "A" material only, then the implied chordal progressions and melodic arch need somewhat more focus, so that the ending is tied in more decisively to the beginning, particularly so if you're electing to leave the rhythmic pulse constant throughout.

But -- a very GOOD piece; I just think there's an opportunity to make it bang-up good!

#1958868 - 09/14/12 01:47 PM Re: New composition: Prelude [Re: Ben Crosland]
Dara Online   blank
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: west coast island, canada
Lovely piece Ben !
There is a beautiful feeling and flow to your composition. I feel it could go on longer and be developed further but it is also beautiful as is.

I'm not familiar with Pianoteq4 Stage so I just did a quick search online. To me it sounded like this was a recording of live playing on an acoustic piano and perhaps that is the intention that it should sound like this. I have only had experience with playing acoustic piano , other than a brief sojourn with a digital piano several years ago when I couldn't afford an acoustic.
I guess it puzzles me a little why electronic mediums should try and duplicate the sound of acoustic instruments. I have no trouble accepting electronic music and technology but if there is a choice to go with the original source of sound, why so much effort is put in to trying to make something sound like/imitate something else.

So often I hear 'piano compositions' here that are not played on a piano. I don't really get the whole drive to fake a piano sound when one could simply play on a piano. i even prefer to hear a lousy sounding piano than an electronic medium that often has no dynamics/breath/character.

This is no slight against your performance or composition, which I enjoyed very much.
And like sedonepix11 , I listened to your piece several times.

#1958907 - 09/14/12 03:07 PM Re: New composition: Prelude [Re: Ben Crosland]
Ben Crosland Offline

Loc: Worcester, UK
Thanks for the lovely comments smile

Regarding the structure, I actually only recently extended it quite considerably - from where what I think of as the A section comes back down to the Bb sus, it went straight to the "Coda" - i.e. where it returns to the G5 (the first chord), and then fades to the Eb major.

In fact, I was so enamoured with that first progression, that for a while I was actually just doing a straight repeat, but louder, and then the Coda.

Having got back from holiday in Last month, I suddenly found the start of the next section - from the Cm7 chord - and then drove myself nearly insane trying to work it back down to the original Coda. Like you, sedonepix11, I am one of those composers who can only work at the piano by trial and error, which can be very slow going! I have toyed with doing A-B-A-Coda, but so far I'm erring on the side of "less is more".

Regarding the performance/recording, I was inspired by sedonepix11's lovely recordings to buy Pianoteq4. I may do an acoustic video on my Kemble, but they take ages, as I tend to get red light fever, and end up having to loads of retakes - at least with the software recordings I can tweak the odd note if needs be, without having to retake the whole thing.

What I really like about Pianoteq4, is that it doesn't have any audible velocity crossover points, which I found to be a complete PITA with Ivory 2 - this piece requires very subtle, slow-breathing swells and dips, and the brutal velocity breaks in Ivory stuck out like sore thumbs!

I have since tweaked the velocity response curve of my DP with Pianoteq's assistant, and I could easily do a much better take I think - hopefully, this would satisfy Tim's point 3. I'll nudge the thread with a new link if I do.

Edited by Ben Crosland (09/14/12 03:19 PM)

Cool Beans!

Easy Christmas Jazz

YouTube channel

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A study of the practice behaviors of effective pianists
by lyricmudra
Yesterday at 10:37 PM
Ease of play - Yamaha p35 or p105
by DeadPoets
Yesterday at 10:37 PM
piano beats in groups
by SKJP
Yesterday at 09:42 PM
What to look for in a keyboard
by Tikki56
Yesterday at 06:30 PM
Christmas duets for Student and Teacher
by Purpl3keys
Yesterday at 06:24 PM
Who's Online
91 registered (Anticlock, anotherscott, ando, 30 invisible), 1203 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76399 Members
42 Forums
157938 Topics
2319454 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission