2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, CharlesXX, 11 invisible), 1,896 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Gould Offline OP
OP Offline
So after years and years of waiting my teacher finally gave me the thumbs up to start working on a concerto! After a long discussion, he gave me the chance to pick my own concerto and to start working on it from there; he trusts that I won't choose something overly bombastic such as things like Brahms, Rach, Tchaik,etc.
After thinking about it, i've narrowed my choices to be down to the romantic era. Problem is, I CAN'T DECIDE. There are just too many beautiful gems to pick from!

It would be amazing if someone could share me an insight about this and perhaps even suggest some wonderful romantic concertos!

P.S I don't really want to choose a overplayed concerto such as the Grieg and Mendelssohn.

Thank you soo much in advance! smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
chopin 1 if you can handle it

A
A
The Chopin 1 isn't a great beginner concerto. It's significantly hard. All the romantic era concertos are incredibly hard if you remove the Grieg concerto from the list. Why not try one of the last 8 mozart concertos or Beethoven's 1st or 2nd concerto as your first concerto and then try a romantic concerto.

Schumann Carnaval, Op.9
Debussy Prelude Book 1, No.6 and No. 7
Bach WTC1 Prelude and Fugue No. 1 in C Major

Gould Offline OP
OP Offline
Didin't want to choose a classical concerto because I simply have no interest in classical works, haha. Though I seriously adore and love listening to them being played; I don't really have much interest in actually learning a classical concerto. The only classical concerto's that I would have wanted to play would probably be far beyond my reach, cough Beethoven 4,5 Mozart 20, 24, etc.

p.s Yes, I do know that I sound a tad bit overambitious. :P

A
A
In sheer technical terms, Mozart 20, 24 are easier than the Grieg Concerto.

Schumann Carnaval, Op.9

Gould Offline OP
OP Offline
Perhaps in general terms, but haha, Mozart is terribly difficult in his "own" way I suppose. Clarity, clarity, clarity! Ahhh. What a pain it is.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Arpan is right, that's why I said "if you can handle it" lol. I actually love Mozart's 23rd concerto. So pretty. Try that one.

Gould Offline OP
OP Offline
I do love the 23th concerto! Especially the heartbreaking second movement! But as I originally stated. I have no interest in learning a classical concerto! smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
What do you have in mind?

Gould Offline OP
OP Offline
Some of the MANY wandering concertos floating in my fickle minded mind are smile
G.Pierne's Concerto. It's truly an amazing concerto and definitely deserves a lot more public eye!

Scriabin's Concerto, same thing applies like the Pierne. Wonder why no one plays this work often...

Teacher suggested either Liszt 1,2 or the Yellow River concerto (not romantic but still.)

As of now I am in a dilema! Soo many to choose from!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
What's your current playing level?

Gould Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey there. Not really sure how I can properly answer that question. I guess I should generally be fairly average I hope!

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Try Shostakovich No. 2. No. 1 isn't too difficult, either, compared to Prokofiev, etc.

Gershwin's Concerto in F has some scintillating moments.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Gould
The only classical concerto's that I would have wanted to play would probably be far beyond my reach, cough Beethoven 4,5 Mozart 20, 24, etc.

p.s Yes, I do know that I sound a tad bit overambitious. :P

And yet you say your teacher recommends Liszt? Not sure I'm following the thought process here... also, why not play Tchaikovsky or Rachmaninoff if you're at that level?

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Why a concerto? Do you want to play something for 2 pianos, or do you want to play with an ensemble. If the former, why not play something for 2 pianos? If the latter, why not play some chamber music?

Semipro Tech
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Derulux
And yet you say your teacher recommends Liszt? Not sure I'm following the thought process here... also, why not play Tchaikovsky or Rachmaninoff if you're at that level?

Well, my piano teacher gave me Rach2 right after I finished the Beethoven Pathetique. I didn't even want to play Rach2. My playing level was far below the music's demands.

Some teachers are trying to live vicariously through their students, you know?

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
A
A
Yes, the Scriabin Concerto is gorgeous. I find the orchestration far superior to that of the Chopin concertos. However, the Scriabin concerto is incredibly difficult, especially if you are going to play it with a second pianist, because of the abundance of poly-rhythms. If you can play the Liszt concerto, why not do the second one. I find the first a bit dry. And to bring up a current topic in this forum, "why no love for Mozart and Beethoven?" .

Furthermore, I'd highly recommend you play some chamber music before trying a concerto. Try finding a good violinist and do a Beethoven violin sonata. If you are felling a bit more romantic you can also try the Grieg sonatas or the Brahms sonatas. This will develop your communication skills immensely.

Schumann Carnaval, Op.9

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O

P.S I don't really want to choose a overplayed concerto such as the Grieg and Mendelssohn.

How about Mendelssohn's 2nd piano concerto? I much prefer it to the first. Rarely played, lots of romanticism, and a beautiful 2nd movement.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Hey there. Not really sure how I can properly answer that question. I guess I should generally be fairly average I hope!

A list of your current repertoire would be much more helpful than "fairly average I hope."

I am not sure, however, that I fully understand the question. When you say that there are too many beautiful ones from which to choose, it sounds as if you are familiar with most of the Romantic concerto repertoire. If that is so, then what sort of suggestions can we make? Anything not main stream may be hard to find, but, ultimately, we can't choose for you, that's something you and your teacher ultimately have to do.

I would rely on my teacher - who knows my skills, my musical and artistic needs as well as my likes and dislikes - to help me decide which concerto to choose.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Originally Posted by Derulux

Well, my piano teacher gave me Rach2 right after I finished the Beethoven Pathetique. I didn't even want to play Rach2. My playing level was far below the music's demands.

Some teachers are trying to live vicariously through their students, you know?

Yep, I can follow you there. I guess I'm trying to figure out this person's actual ability level (as separate from "fairly okay I guess"). Several contradicting statements do not lend to a straightforward and simple reply unless we clarify them. wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission