Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1957764 - 09/12/12 08:58 AM Help! Picking a first concerto!
Gould Offline

Loc: Earth
So after years and years of waiting my teacher finally gave me the thumbs up to start working on a concerto! After a long discussion, he gave me the chance to pick my own concerto and to start working on it from there; he trusts that I won't choose something overly bombastic such as things like Brahms, Rach, Tchaik,etc.
After thinking about it, i've narrowed my choices to be down to the romantic era. Problem is, I CAN'T DECIDE. There are just too many beautiful gems to pick from!

It would be amazing if someone could share me an insight about this and perhaps even suggest some wonderful romantic concertos!

P.S I don't really want to choose a overplayed concerto such as the Grieg and Mendelssohn.

Thank you soo much in advance! smile

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1957766 - 09/12/12 09:05 AM Re: Help! Picking a first concerto! [Re: Gould]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
chopin 1 if you can handle it

#1957770 - 09/12/12 09:22 AM Re: Help! Picking a first concerto! [Re: Gould]
arpan70 Offline

Loc: Mumbai, India
The Chopin 1 isn't a great beginner concerto. It's significantly hard. All the romantic era concertos are incredibly hard if you remove the Grieg concerto from the list. Why not try one of the last 8 mozart concertos or Beethoven's 1st or 2nd concerto as your first concerto and then try a romantic concerto.
Grieg: Cello Sonata, Op.36

#1957775 - 09/12/12 09:53 AM Re: Help! Picking a first concerto! [Re: arpan70]
Gould Offline

Didin't want to choose a classical concerto because I simply have no interest in classical works, haha. Though I seriously adore and love listening to them being played; I don't really have much interest in actually learning a classical concerto. The only classical concerto's that I would have wanted to play would probably be far beyond my reach, cough Beethoven 4,5 Mozart 20, 24, etc.

p.s Yes, I do know that I sound a tad bit overambitious. :P

#1957776 - 09/12/12 09:56 AM Re: Help! Picking a first concerto! [Re: Gould]
arpan70 Offline

In sheer technical terms, Mozart 20, 24 are easier than the Grieg Concerto.

#1957780 - 09/12/12 10:05 AM Re: Help! Picking a first concerto! [Re: arpan70]
Gould Offline

Perhaps in general terms, but haha, Mozart is terribly difficult in his "own" way I suppose. Clarity, clarity, clarity! Ahhh. What a pain it is.

#1957781 - 09/12/12 10:05 AM Re: Help! Picking a first concerto! [Re: Gould]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Arpan is right, that's why I said "if you can handle it" lol. I actually love Mozart's 23rd concerto. So pretty. Try that one.

#1957785 - 09/12/12 10:10 AM Re: Help! Picking a first concerto! [Re: JoelW]
Gould Offline

I do love the 23th concerto! Especially the heartbreaking second movement! But as I originally stated. I have no interest in learning a classical concerto! smile

#1957787 - 09/12/12 10:17 AM Re: Help! Picking a first concerto! [Re: Gould]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

What do you have in mind?

#1957792 - 09/12/12 10:32 AM Re: Help! Picking a first concerto! [Re: JoelW]
Gould Offline

Some of the MANY wandering concertos floating in my fickle minded mind are smile
G.Pierne's Concerto. It's truly an amazing concerto and definitely deserves a lot more public eye!

Scriabin's Concerto, same thing applies like the Pierne. Wonder why no one plays this work often...

Teacher suggested either Liszt 1,2 or the Yellow River concerto (not romantic but still.)

As of now I am in a dilema! Soo many to choose from!

#1957800 - 09/12/12 11:00 AM Re: Help! Picking a first concerto! [Re: Gould]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

What's your current playing level?

#1957811 - 09/12/12 11:21 AM Re: Help! Picking a first concerto! [Re: JoelW]
Gould Offline

Hey there. Not really sure how I can properly answer that question. I guess I should generally be fairly average I hope!

#1957824 - 09/12/12 11:44 AM Re: Help! Picking a first concerto! [Re: Gould]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Try Shostakovich No. 2. No. 1 isn't too difficult, either, compared to Prokofiev, etc.

Gershwin's Concerto in F has some scintillating moments.

#1957836 - 09/12/12 12:07 PM Re: Help! Picking a first concerto! [Re: Gould]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: Gould
The only classical concerto's that I would have wanted to play would probably be far beyond my reach, cough Beethoven 4,5 Mozart 20, 24, etc.

p.s Yes, I do know that I sound a tad bit overambitious. :P

And yet you say your teacher recommends Liszt? Not sure I'm following the thought process here... also, why not play Tchaikovsky or Rachmaninoff if you're at that level?

#1957837 - 09/12/12 12:08 PM Re: Help! Picking a first concerto! [Re: Gould]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Why a concerto? Do you want to play something for 2 pianos, or do you want to play with an ensemble. If the former, why not play something for 2 pianos? If the latter, why not play some chamber music?

#1957840 - 09/12/12 12:15 PM Re: Help! Picking a first concerto! [Re: Derulux]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: Derulux
And yet you say your teacher recommends Liszt? Not sure I'm following the thought process here... also, why not play Tchaikovsky or Rachmaninoff if you're at that level?

Well, my piano teacher gave me Rach2 right after I finished the Beethoven Pathetique. I didn't even want to play Rach2. My playing level was far below the music's demands.

Some teachers are trying to live vicariously through their students, you know?

#1957854 - 09/12/12 12:44 PM Re: Help! Picking a first concerto! [Re: Gould]
arpan70 Offline

Yes, the Scriabin Concerto is gorgeous. I find the orchestration far superior to that of the Chopin concertos. However, the Scriabin concerto is incredibly difficult, especially if you are going to play it with a second pianist, because of the abundance of poly-rhythms. If you can play the Liszt concerto, why not do the second one. I find the first a bit dry. And to bring up a current topic in this forum, "why no love for Mozart and Beethoven?" .

Furthermore, I'd highly recommend you play some chamber music before trying a concerto. Try finding a good violinist and do a Beethoven violin sonata. If you are felling a bit more romantic you can also try the Grieg sonatas or the Brahms sonatas. This will develop your communication skills immensely.

#1957862 - 09/12/12 01:01 PM Re: Help! Picking a first concerto! [Re: Gould]
Old Man Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan, USA

P.S I don't really want to choose a overplayed concerto such as the Grieg and Mendelssohn.

How about Mendelssohn's 2nd piano concerto? I much prefer it to the first. Rarely played, lots of romanticism, and a beautiful 2nd movement.

#1957871 - 09/12/12 01:29 PM Re: Help! Picking a first concerto! [Re: Gould]
BruceD Online   content

Loc: Victoria, BC
Hey there. Not really sure how I can properly answer that question. I guess I should generally be fairly average I hope!

A list of your current repertoire would be much more helpful than "fairly average I hope."

I am not sure, however, that I fully understand the question. When you say that there are too many beautiful ones from which to choose, it sounds as if you are familiar with most of the Romantic concerto repertoire. If that is so, then what sort of suggestions can we make? Anything not main stream may be hard to find, but, ultimately, we can't choose for you, that's something you and your teacher ultimately have to do.

I would rely on my teacher - who knows my skills, my musical and artistic needs as well as my likes and dislikes - to help me decide which concerto to choose.

#1957981 - 09/12/12 05:53 PM Re: Help! Picking a first concerto! [Re: AZNpiano]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: AZNpiano
Originally Posted By: Derulux

Well, my piano teacher gave me Rach2 right after I finished the Beethoven Pathetique. I didn't even want to play Rach2. My playing level was far below the music's demands.

Some teachers are trying to live vicariously through their students, you know?

Yep, I can follow you there. I guess I'm trying to figure out this person's actual ability level (as separate from "fairly okay I guess"). Several contradicting statements do not lend to a straightforward and simple reply unless we clarify them. wink

#1958003 - 09/12/12 06:47 PM Re: Help! Picking a first concerto! [Re: BruceD]
Gould Offline

Not really expecting to get a final choice from the forums but rather was hoping to find suggestions and help towards choosing the concerto. Some works that i've recently finished over the past months Schubert A minor Sonata (d784), Liszt's 2 legendes, Mendelssohn's Rondo Cap., Bach P&F WTC 2: B minor

#1958021 - 09/12/12 07:03 PM Re: Help! Picking a first concerto! [Re: Gould]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
I'd go with a Mozart concerto. And wait a week or so before starting the Mozart concerto, so you can listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlhbFk2GbcY

this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrNbmFM6O60

and this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj1i_fL5QCw

all over and over again to help understand the heart of Mozart. The center of Mozart was opera, and its influence is VERY in his pieces.

#1958077 - 09/12/12 10:34 PM Re: Help! Picking a first concerto! [Re: arpan70]
ScriabinAddict Offline

Originally Posted By: arpan70
However, the Scriabin concerto is incredibly difficult, especially if you are going to play it with a second pianist, because of the abundance of poly-rhythms.

Not only that, the whole piece is awkward beyond belief. However difficult the Scriabin concerto may sound, it's about 10x more so.

#1958082 - 09/12/12 10:47 PM Re: Help! Picking a first concerto! [Re: Gould]
ScriabinAddict Offline

In addition to the Mozart, there are a couple Bach concerti that rarely see the light of day. If you're looking for something obscure, I'm sure Thalbergmad (I believe he visits these forums) has a long list of easier Romantic and Classical concerti that could be worth taking a look at.

#1958093 - 09/12/12 11:19 PM Re: Help! Picking a first concerto! [Re: Gould]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Romantic - Bombastic - Overplayed = Nothing Left.

Maybe the Strauss Burlesque?
Franck Symphonic Variations?
MacDowell #2? (too bombastic?)

Why not Ravel? Why not Beethoven 3?

If this isn't for a potential competition or orchestral performance, then chamber music also a good idea - if you have string players at your disposal, maybe Mozart g minor quartet, one of the Op. 1 Beethoven trios or a Mendelssohn trio?
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1958097 - 09/12/12 11:38 PM Re: Help! Picking a first concerto! [Re: Kreisler]
Gould Offline

Originally Posted By: Kreisler

If this isn't for a potential competition or orchestral performance, then chamber music also a good idea - if you have string players at your disposal, maybe Mozart g minor quartet, one of the Op. 1 Beethoven trios or a Mendelssohn trio?

It isin't for a competition but it is for a performance with my teachers orchestra for next year. Though chamber music is wonderful I would rather prefer to learn a concerto for now. I didin't want to choose the Ravel or Beethoven because I am positive that it would be negatively received by the unfortunately less musically inclined audiences around my area. In other words i'm searching for a concerto that can be universally loved by the masses; i.e trying to promote classical music towards audiences that don't usually think highly of it.

Your suggestions were amazing! Listening to them at the moment. smile

Edited by Gould (09/12/12 11:40 PM)

#1958098 - 09/12/12 11:42 PM Re: Help! Picking a first concerto! [Re: Kreisler]
Gould Offline

(too bombastic?)

Sorry, I said that wrongly. When I said bombastic I was referring to ridiculously difficult concertos in technical terms, stamina, etc. Such as Brahms 2, Tchaik 1, etc.

#1958108 - 09/13/12 12:36 AM Re: Help! Picking a first concerto! [Re: Gould]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I think a "less musically inclined" audience would love something like Ravel, Shostakovich 2, or even Kabalevsky 3. The latter two especially are underplayed, and all three are a bit jazzy.

Kabalevsky 3 gets a bad rap for its subtitle ("Youth"), but it's completely delightful. Besides, if it's good enough for Gilels, it's good enough for ANYBODY:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ILILmNuPZI
(an old recording, out of tune, but it's Gilels, so it's still awesome)

It isin't for a competition but it is for a performance with my teachers orchestra for next year. Though chamber music is wonderful I would rather prefer to learn a concerto for now. I didin't want to choose the Ravel or Beethoven because I am positive that it would be negatively received by the unfortunately less musically inclined audiences around my area. In other words i'm searching for a concerto that can be universally loved by the masses; i.e trying to promote classical music towards audiences that don't usually think highly of it.

Your suggestions were amazing! Listening to them at the moment. smile
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1958111 - 09/13/12 12:50 AM Re: Help! Picking a first concerto! [Re: Gould]
BDB Online   content

Loc: Oakland
Or consider a concerto that can be played as a chamber work. That was an option for the concertos that were published during Mozart's lifetime, K.413-449, all of which are pretty interesting works.

#1958113 - 09/13/12 12:51 AM Re: Help! Picking a first concerto! [Re: Kreisler]
Gould Offline

The Kabalevsky 3 had always been on my mind but... (don't kill me) it feels a little condescending and unimpressive to have that concerto in my rep., partially due to the infamy it received as being a "Youth"/Beginner concerto.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
162 registered (accordeur, 88 Fingers Jeff, 36251, 54 invisible), 1839 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75495 Members
42 Forums
156104 Topics
2292372 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Famous mistakes by concert pianists
by rov
12 minutes 23 seconds ago
Korg Triton>midi>us
b>lightning to usb>iPad mini>Garageband

by SilentMHP
Today at 04:54 PM
Pianist Martin Malmgren Performing in Helsinki
by Piano World
Today at 04:25 PM
In need for that screaming, dirty, funky, rhodes sound
by Thomas B
Today at 03:36 PM
Godowsky - Prelude and Fugue for left hand alone
by Polyphonist
Today at 02:50 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission