Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#1958325 - 09/13/12 02:00 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa - Show Off! [Re: seximoleximo]
ScriabinAddict Offline

My 2 cents: She's a good pianist, but without the aid of YouTube she would never have gained the notoriety that she has today.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1958377 - 09/13/12 03:04 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa - Show Off! [Re: seximoleximo]
slava_richter Offline

Loc: Providence, RI
^ Agreed. She's a very good pianist, but among the pros, I don't think she's that special, certainly not as special as her fame would suggest. But good for her for finding a way to make a name for herself using technology. I think we would all rather have 20 more of her than one more Bieber.

#1958382 - 09/13/12 03:16 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa - Show Off! [Re: seximoleximo]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
I'd take Valentina over Lang Lang any day.

And she is very clever to be exploiting modern technologies. I predicted many years ago that it would turn out well for her and I was right. Its a shame very few other pianists have caught on.

#1958389 - 09/13/12 03:20 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa - Show Off! [Re: debrucey]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: debrucey
And she is very clever to be exploiting modern technologies. I predicted many years ago that it would turn out well for her and I was right. Its a shame very few other pianists have caught on.

So true !!

#1958428 - 09/13/12 04:06 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa - Show Off! [Re: seximoleximo]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bulgaria
I couldn't bear to read some of the comments here but I think that a lot of you are overreacting. Why do you care so much? She is doing her thing, the way she wants. We are all supposed to do that.

If you do not know someone personally how do you know what music is to them and how can you judge her? Even if you read a thousand interviews or watch all her videos or see her live, you will not know or understand even a fraction of her personality and why she does what she does. It's good that your thoughts and opinions have absolutely no effect on her situation and can't really hurt what she'd doing because it would be sad otherwise. I sure hope she never gets discouraged by such pointless rantings.
Music just is, stop trying to explain it. It's for everyone.

Edited by Teodor (09/13/12 04:09 PM)

Recitals:

#1958511 - 09/13/12 07:23 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa - Show Off! [Re: klaviero]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: klaviero
IMO Valentina is the best pianist out there. I am no expert when it comes to the piano as I am just starting to learn to play but I think I have a good ear and I can say that her playing is superior to a lot of other pianists. Then again it most probably is a question of personal taste.

I'm sure there are people out there who would think the food at Olive Garden is better than the food at Per se...again, it's just personal taste.

#1958519 - 09/13/12 07:41 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa - Show Off! [Re: debrucey]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Originally Posted By: debrucey

I agree with all of this, and it's fantastic for her, even if VL isn't one of my favorite pianists.

#1958845 - 09/14/12 01:00 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa - Show Off! [Re: Teodor]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Originally Posted By: Teodor

If you do not know someone personally how do you know what music is to them and how can you judge her? Even if you read a thousand interviews or watch all her videos or see her live, you will not know or understand even a fraction of her personality and why she does what she does. It's good that your thoughts and opinions have absolutely no effect on her situation and can't really hurt what she'd doing because it would be sad otherwise. I sure hope she never gets discouraged by such pointless rantings.
Music just is, stop trying to explain it. It's for everyone.

Teodor,

I'm sure VL would appreciate your comments if she were to ever read them. Public forums tend to attract people who wish to tear down others. This is a fact of life. In my experience the more successful a person is the less likely they are to criticize others, unless there is some tangible advantage to be gained by doing so. In general criticism reflects poorly on the critic, less so on the target of criticism.

It all reminds me of the words found written on the wall in Mother Teresa's home for children in Calcutta:

People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies. Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you. Be honest and sincere anyway.

What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight. Create anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous. Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, will often be forgotten. Do good anyway.

Give the best you have, and it will never be enough. Give your best anyway.

In the final analysis, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.

#1958906 - 09/14/12 03:04 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa - Show Off! [Re: Steve Chandler]
daviel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Waxahachie, Texas
Very well said, Steve. Excellent post. thumb

David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas

#1959358 - 09/15/12 07:11 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa - Show Off! [Re: seximoleximo]
IJR Offline

She certainly has used youtube to her advantage. I don't really agree with a lot of her interpretations, but I greatly respect her not just as an artist but also as a musician in general.

#1976021 - 10/20/12 12:16 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa - Show Off! [Re: Para Otras]
MarioToroOfficial Offline

Loc: Florida
Kreisel or whatever: you are extremely rude. i shall never speak to you again.

#1976077 - 10/20/12 04:30 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa - Show Off! [Re: seximoleximo]
joe80 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I love Valentina Lisitsa. I think she is a phenomenal pianist, and actually, a great artist. I think she has brought serious classical music to the masses, sort of like a connoisseurs Lang Lang - who is also excellent.

She has used youtube to her advantage, to bring her outstanding repertoire to a wider audience, and I think we should all be grateful that someone like her is flying the flag for the piano.

#2016672 - 01/18/13 11:42 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa - Show Off! [Re: pianojerome]
jdott Offline

Loc: Colorado, USA
Well stated, PianoJerome! Shy not only plays, but mastered all 24 Chopin Etudes-very few pianists can claim to have that accomplishment. I've heard a lot of her Rachmaninoff, and I think it's wonderful, as is her Liszt. Some of her Chopin, I'm not too fond of her interpretation (for me the Op 53 Polonaise is a good example), but she plays everything exceptionally well. One of the problems with our "calling" is, there are too many snobs, which sadly kills young people's interest in this wonderful music. Ms. Lisitsa is a breath of fresh air, and I think if there were more like her, we could collectively rekindle interest in what the youngsters now refer to as "dead-guy music.". She's incredibly talented, approachable, all over YouTube, and most of her recordings are available for free on her web site just because she enjoys entertaining people. We need more people with her talent and attitude toward the public. She's humble and gifted, and that is enough for me. I love Horowitz' playing, but he was a snob. Always wanted to attend one of his performances, but he refused to come to Denver because he didn't like the concert hall here. Most other masters seemed to do well here, but not good enough for him? Ha!

#2016680 - 01/18/13 11:48 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa - Show Off! [Re: Mr_Kitty]
jdott Offline

Well, Horowitz broke the opening chords. His hands weren't any larger than mine. LOTS of excellent pianists do it. Most people don't have hands the size of Liszt or Rachmaninoff.

#2016707 - 01/18/13 12:33 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa - Show Off! [Re: wr]
GeorgeB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wr
I've heard that Rachmaninoff helped at least one small-handed person rewrite those opening chords in the 2nd to make them playable (instead of, as was suggested in another post, telling the person to play a different concerto). Too bad he didn't provide an ossia in the score. Maybe we should just be grateful that he didn't write a lot more stuff unreachable-by-regular-hands than he did.

And, yes, judging from the various YouTube clips, Lisitsa is not a very interesting musician, although she can play way fast. Too robotic and too reliant on technique effects for my taste. But I'll admit that when I was much younger, I might have felt differently. Funny how time changes one's perspective...

But why are there so many these proponents of insubstantial virtuosity all over the place right now? It's practically like the middle of the 19th century is being replayed all over again. These virtuosi are just crawling out of the woodwork, and seem to have found an audience of extremely avid fans. It's really very strange.

Although I understand the "wow" factor (and enjoy it a lot myself), I also think that there are other factors in music that are at least as important. Make that "more important". It really is disturbing to me that a lot of people seem not to have any idea at all of why high-level technical prowess together with just a rudimentary, barely cultivated musicality just doesn't add up to "great".

Big bump is big...
Wr's post is probably one of the most (if not the most) sensible posts in this thread.

#2016710 - 01/18/13 12:37 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa - Show Off! [Re: seximoleximo]
GeorgeB Offline
500 Post Club Member

It's one of the things which really annoys me about certain people on this forum.
Everything they say is law. If they like a pianist, or an interpretation, then it must be the best in the world. If they don't like it, then it's clearly overrated and it is a pile of cow dung.

#2017165 - 01/19/13 10:15 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa - Show Off! [Re: Steve Chandler]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
Originally Posted By: Steve Chandler

In my experience the more successful a person is the less likely they are to criticize others, unless there is some tangible advantage to be gained by doing so.

Not always true.. having an opinion can be a good thing laugh I've seen (as we all have) successful, famous people criticizing someone else. But so what? Not everybody is going to like what you do. And THAT is a fact of life. We just have to accept it and move on. There's no point in trying to please everybody, it is impossible. There are people that surely think Richter was a "bad pianist". You just have to forget about it. But I really don't think criticism is always such a bad thing, especially when justified or constructive.

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2017187 - 01/19/13 10:57 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa - Show Off! [Re: Pogorelich.]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Originally Posted By: Pogorelich.
Originally Posted By: Steve Chandler

In my experience the more successful a person is the less likely they are to criticize others, unless there is some tangible advantage to be gained by doing so.

Not always true.. having an opinion can be a good thing laugh I've seen (as we all have) successful, famous people criticizing someone else. But so what? Not everybody is going to like what you do. And THAT is a fact of life. We just have to accept it and move on. There's no point in trying to please everybody, it is impossible. There are people that surely think Richter was a "bad pianist". You just have to forget about it. But I really don't think criticism is always such a bad thing, especially when justified or constructive.

Having an opinion and expressing it are two different things. My point is that successful people are less likely to criticise another successful person unless there's something to be gained by doing so, e.g. Donald Trump criticizing the President. Once Obama is a former President all the criticism will fade away and he'll become a beloved elder statesman like Clinton. You are very correct in that you can't please everyone, I guess the trick is to displease those who are less inclined to express their opinion.

Frankly, the whole criticism of VL that she's unmusical and would be nothing without Youtube is moot. She's used Youtube to gain notoriety and now that she has it the peanut gallery is having its say. The fact is she's gained notoriety and how she's done it is irrelevant.

Some could accuse me of unmusical playing because when I play my own pieces I don't indulge in the rubato that Cinnamonbear does (his recordings are posted in Member recordings). To me his interpretations are effective and interesting, but I feel mine are as well.

#2017302 - 01/19/13 02:26 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa - Show Off! [Re: seximoleximo]
jdhampton924 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Evansville, Indiana
(Insert argument here)

#2017423 - 01/19/13 05:30 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa - Show Off! [Re: jdott]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: jdott
Well stated, PianoJerome! She not only plays, but mastered all 24 Chopin Etudes-very few pianists can claim to have that accomplishment.

GREAT SCOTT JDOTT !!! Not only have you (yet again) resurrected an ancient thread here but now you are responding to someone who hasn't posted on the thread since 2007 and hasn't participated in PW since August 2012.

Why not simply start a new thread/topic and converse with members who are currently active?? crazy

#2017426 - 01/19/13 05:40 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa - Show Off! [Re: carey]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: carey
Why not simply start a new thread/topic and converse with members who are currently active?? crazy

I, for one, think this is better. smile

#2017599 - 01/19/13 11:52 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa - Show Off! [Re: carey]
jdott Offline

Oops-well, I saw an Oct 2012 date on it, and just read back to see what was on it. Sorry

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano lessons: every week or every two weeks?
by Pover
Today at 06:34 AM
Anything better than the Yamaha CLP-990 yet?
by pianelmo
Today at 04:49 AM
Is A443 banned definitively?
by Olek
Today at 04:01 AM
Ritmuller Grand Pianos - Help!
by Mike RSA
Today at 03:56 AM
J.D.Grandt Bass Strings Opinions Please
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:48 PM
Who's Online
95 registered (beeboss, anotherscott, aesop, barbaram, 36251, ando, 32 invisible), 1273 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76633 Members
42 Forums
158465 Topics
2327064 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission